Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    dignin said:
    Not a single post in this on this board (at least according to the search function) about this poor man that was murdered earlier in the week during the riots. Not surprising. His name was David Dorn, a 77-year-old former police chief that tried to help protect businesses in St. Louis during the riots, and was murdered in cold blood. His death as he bled out on the street was livestreamed on facebook. Very sad. 

Why was a 77 year old out there trying to protect businesses? He should have known better.

Just so I'm clear that's sarcasm. It's a horrible story.

Also, I think I did read about that here but maybe without the name of the victim.
    Sounds more like victim-blaming. 
    No. I'm making a point in relation to the 75 year old protester who was almost killed yesterday.

It should have been painfully obvious.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Not a single post in this on this board (at least according to the search function) about this poor man that was murdered earlier in the week during the riots. Not surprising. His name was David Dorn, a 77-year-old former police chief that tried to help protect businesses in St. Louis during the riots, and was murdered in cold blood. His death as he bled out on the street was livestreamed on facebook. Very sad. 

Why was a 77 year old out there trying to protect businesses? He should have known better.

Also, I think I did read about that here but maybe without the name of the victim.
    No. I'm making a point in relation to the 75 year old protester who was almost killed yesterday.

Oh I got your point. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Well I guess we don’t have a systemic racism problem because some innocent victims got killed (Not by the police) during this time of unrest and upheaval. I guess white america can wash our hands now that an innocent black ex cop was killed (not by the police).  🙄 FFS yes that is a horrible side effect of all this and like so many things in life you can be upset that stuff like this is happening and also be more concerned about the underlying causes of the sickness that led us to the situations that caused this.  This is on America, not just the cops, not just the protesters.  Hundreds of years of bad decisions is what got us here
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,313
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

How do the two even go together?  One was killed by protesters and the other wasn't.

Two completely different scenarios.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

How do the two even go together?  One was killed by protesters and the other wasn't.

Both caused by 400 years of bad decisions and the willful ignorance of white america. So really same scenario
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Both caused by 400 years of bad decisions and the willful ignorance of white america. So really same scenario
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't the angle they were going for.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    static111 said:
    Well I guess we don’t have a systemic racism problem because some innocent victims got killed (Not by the police) during this time of unrest and upheaval. I guess white america can wash our hands now that an innocent black ex cop was killed (not by the police).  🙄 FFS yes that is a horrible side effect of all this and like so many things in life you can be upset that stuff like this is happening and also be more concerned about the underlying causes of the sickness that led us to the situations that caused this.  This is on America, not just the cops, not just the protesters.  Hundreds of years of bad decisions is what got us here
    What a moronic statement. Yes, systemic racism is a huge, centuries-old problem, but Floyd's murder doesn't mean everything else in the world must stop and all we can focus on is that. Something like this murder (and there's been many other incidents like it over the past week) can't happen either. So Floyd gets murdered and now the whole country must burn? Innocent people like Dorn can be killed but I can't post about it because we can only post about Floyd's murder? Give me a fucking break. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the angle they were going for.
    Please explain how it is two different scenarios.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

It would be silly to victim blame the 77 year old, it is also silly to victim blame the 75 year old.

They were both victims. Does that make sense?
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Any time the status quo is threatened, police will be called in to uphold the status quo.

That is their job right now, to maintain our systems of white supremacy and capitalism, otherwise known as "law and order."

Talking about individual good cops versus individual bad cops completely misses the point of policing. They are instruments of the the state,  whether they are good guys or bad guys, and right now states spend way more money on police locking up people of color than they do providing social services or education for those same people. That is the status quo they are upholding. 

I keep thinking about reading Karl Marx when I was very young and wondering if he was right, that violent revolution is the only way we will see equality in this world. White supremacist capitalists will not give up their power without a fight. They will use the police to fight their battle.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,936
    edited June 2020
    Smellyman said:
    The guy w the baton gave him a push and was by no means bad, the end result is bad though.

I have a hard time with this one.
    It was more the dude in the back of baton guy who didn't want baton guy to help either.

Regardless it doesn't take much to knock over an old man

There’s reasons why the elderly are a protected class when it comes to crime. They’re more vulnerable but since when do we care about the vulnerable and least fortunate amongst us?
    He's elderly.  Why the fuck are you out there in the front lines?  

I get wanting to make a change but man, don't put yourself in a compromised situation.  Going to the front line of officers is just that.

Also if you watch the video the baton guy pushes the old man, not the officer from the back.

With all this being said I would think you'd have more compassion towards the elderly though.
    I guess you’re willing to restrict constitutional rights based on age? Good to know. I don’t give a shit who pushed him and made no reference to that aspect. If the police are afraid of a 75 year old walking up to them in numbers of at least 20-1, they should all resign and work retail or something. FFS.
    Where do I restrict his rights for being elderly?  How do you come up with this shit?

I asked why the guy would put himself in that situation in the first place?

You asked why an elderly person should have been where they were. Does he not have that right? Was he breaking the law? What does his age have to do with it? If he were 18, it'd be wrong or do you disagree? A 75 year old has the right to "peacefully assemble." The Constitution isn't based upon age but you seem to think people of a certain age shouldn't leave their house and protest or peacefully assemble or maybe exercise their free speech? Yea, what the fuck was that old fart thinking? Wonder if he's a vet or an ex-cop? Imagine that.

Note: See previous quotes for bolded, specific quotes I was/am responding to.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    dignin said:

this was big news here in stl. from what i have seen he is kind of viewed as an uncle tom by protesters that were interviewed. it is really sad for sure though. 

i guess the lesson here is if there is an angry mob coming at you to try to destroy something, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to lay down your life for someone else's property.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

It would be silly to victim blame the 77 year old, it is also silly to victim blame the 75 year old.

They were both victims. Does that make sense?
    Fair enough.  Can't argue that angle.

That wasn't my intention either.  
  • Options
    Any time the status quo is threatened, police will be called in to uphold the status quo.

That is their job right now, to maintain our systems of white supremacy and capitalism, otherwise known as "law and order."

Talking about individual good cops versus individual bad cops completely misses the point of policing. They are instruments of the the state,  whether they are good guys or bad guys, and right now states spend way more money on police locking up people of color than they do providing social services or education for those same people. That is the status quo they are upholding. 

I keep thinking about reading Karl Marx when I was very young and wondering if he was right, that violent revolution is the only way we will see equality in this world. White supremacist capitalists will not give up their power without a fight. They will use the police to fight their battle.
    If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable.  I think Cornel West said that.  I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately.  The whole history of this country is rooted in abuse of marginalized groups for the benefits of the upper classes starting with the Native Americans.  If we don’t do something to help our Black American family we will never be able to truly begin to right any of the other wrongs.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    dignin said:

this was big news here in stl. from what i have seen he is kind of viewed as an uncle tom by protesters that were interviewed. it is really sad for sure though. 

i guess the lesson here is if there is an angry mob coming at you to try to destroy something, you have to ask yourself if you are willing to lay down your life for someone else's property.
    Which raises concerns about policing going forward. Of course the main concern everyone wants addressed is equality in policing so that minorities aren't targeted like Floyd and others have been. But another problem is....who the fuck is going to want to be a police officer? It's already the most dangerous and most important job there is. They're woefully underpaid. Folks on the left are calling to defund police departments. If you're a cop and the mob comes for you, what do you do? Stand your ground and protect citizens? Or protect yourself? The whole situation sucks. From the systemic racism, to the riots, to the good cops being vilified by the public, to the bad cops being protected by their departments....we're in ugly times. Hopefully something good actually comes of these Floyd protests. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dignin said:

Which raises concerns about policing going forward. Of course the main concern everyone wants addressed is equality in policing so that minorities aren't targeted like Floyd and others have been. But another problem is....who the fuck is going to want to be a police officer? It's already the most dangerous and most important job there is. They're woefully underpaid. Folks on the left are calling to defund police departments. If you're a cop and the mob comes for you, what do you do? Stand your ground and protect citizens? Or protect yourself? The whole situation sucks. From the systemic racism, to the riots, to the good cops being vilified by the public, to the bad cops being protected by their departments....we're in ugly times. Hopefully something good actually comes of these Floyd protests. 
    I don't think it's even in the top 15...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

I'd love to hear the 15 jobs you think are as dangerous or more dangerous than being a police officer. I'll even start the list for you. 

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

That's a start, what are the other 13? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

I'd love to hear the 15 jobs you think are as dangerous or more dangerous than being a police officer. I'll even start the list for you. 

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Logging, anything on a boat, most forms of construction...
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

I got ya. I guess I'll rephrase to say policing has the a lot of unspecified (and thus, hard to prepare for) danger to it. You don't know who or what you're going to run into. Most of those jobs in that "top 10 most dangerous jobs" you posted have more specified dangers (accidents in transportation being the most common it seems), so you know the safety precautions to take. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

I got ya. I guess I'll rephrase to say policing has the a lot of unspecified (and thus, hard to prepare for) danger to it. You don't know who or what you're going to run into. Most of those jobs in that "top 10 most dangerous jobs" you posted have more specified dangers (accidents in transportation being the most common it seems), so you know the safety precautions to take. 
    There's definitely a unique aspect to the danger in policing.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Yeah and with public-trust in policing eroding, coupled with low wages, and folks calling for police departments to be defunded, I worry how many people will even want to be cops and deal with those dangers going forward. And the saddest part is, the bad cops will probably still want to be cops because they have ego/racist/control issues they they take out on people through crooked policing. But the good people that want to be cops might not think it's worth the trouble at this rate. Could lead to even more bad cops in power. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

I know I've personally done 3 of them.

Alaska fisherman
    Steel erector
    Concrete erector
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Yeah and with public-trust in policing eroding, coupled with low wages, and folks calling for police departments to be defunded, I worry how many people will even want to be cops and deal with those dangers going forward. And the saddest part is, the bad cops will probably still want to be cops because they have ego/racist/control issues they they take out on people through crooked policing. But the good people that want to be cops might not think it's worth the trouble at this rate. Could lead to even more bad cops in power. 
    I keep reading that "people want to defund the police" or "disband police".

Where the hell did this come from?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Might have started with this open letter from some celebrities. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/john-legend-common-lizzo-open-letter-defund-police-1008509/

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423
    Fuck the USA and fuck the police.  Don't @ me.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Angry protest rhetoric, mostly.  It's out there, but it isn't all that serious, IMO.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

The poll I am looking at from 2018 106 police officers lost their life in the line of duty. 55 died feloniously and 51 died accidentally. While any police officer life is 1 too many I have to say I am surprised that the number is that low with all of the violence going on in some areas. This poll does not however take into account serious injuries which should count for something as well when talking about dangers of a job imo. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

Angry protest rhetoric, mostly.  It's out there, but it isn't all that serious, IMO.
    Started I think with this open letter from Black Lives Matter that was co-signed by some celebrities  (Jane Fonda among others), and now, yes, is protest rhetoric...

https://www.defendingblacklives.org/defund-police-sign-on/

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:

1) Military
    2) Firefighting

I think it’s because people would rather spend $500,000 that would be earmarked for
    police para military style gear and put it toward education or essential services.  It’s about looking at the budget and not just saying yes to millions of dollars of war gear and finding other more helpful places to put that money like for instance anti-black racism training and community outreach.
    Scio me nihil scire

This discussion has been closed.