Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2014
    Byrnzie said:

You cannot expect everybody who chimes in here to know about your personal history with this the conflict. This thread is on the Porch. Not many people who frequent it are regular visitors of AMT. You who think they are in the know and maybe are want to enlighten and educate others who have not reached your point of knowledge yet. To me, as a "newb" in this whole thing, as someone who is interested in educating themselves, the tone in here is offputting. Yes, it is a topic where opinions are strong and where emotions rage high. But like I said before, the sound makes the music. At least to me. If somebody just belittles everything I say as somebody who has not been informing themselves for a couple of years, I do not feel like following the convo any longer. And then this whole thread is becoming a joke, because people who come in here to read, do not do it for the informational value, but just for checking out how the roosters are fighting.

I have no problem with somebody admitting that they don't really understand the conflict. But I do have a problem with people who don't understand anything about it posting the Fox News narrative - something they heard said on the t.v - as a fact, or with people calling for apathy, and criticizing those people who are trying to do something to change the situation.

You missed her point, Byrzine (cant get over that! :)) ).

She basically expressed that she was genuinely interested in seeking information, questioning the crisis, and seeking answers from those that could help her.

As Leez essentially stated, she feels vulnerable participating in this discussion because of the open hostility displayed. I feel that at least here, we would do better exercising a level of tolerance to encourage more participation and broadening the spectrum of informed people... therefore, ultimately generating a groundswell of support for the issue you care so deeply about.

For example, I though 'fuck', in the MT, did an exemplary job of detailing much of the history of the current climate for the Gaza Strip. He never spoke down to anyone and he took his time to carefully and succinctly detail relevant aspects of the past which has led to our current reality.

I'm not following this thread as closely as I'm following the threads in the MT, so I'm not sure if she posted a link and got destroyed for doing it (like so many others)... but I think the level of patience and tolerance has gone out the window at times with regards to this topic.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

That's nice.

Meanwhile...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/03/israel-air-strike-un-school-gaza-rafah

Israeli air strike hits UN school in Gaza

Ten people killed and dozens wounded in new missile attack on UN-run school in Rafah, according to witnesses

theguardian.com, 3 August 2014

An Israeli air strike has killed at least 10 people and wounded about 30 others in a UN-run school in the southern Gaza Strip, witnesses and medics said, as dozens died in renewed Israeli shelling of the enclave.

The Israeli military declined immediate comment on the attack, the second to hit a UN school in less than a week.

A missile launched by an aircraft struck the entrance to the school in Rafah, the witnesses and medics said.

Witnesses said there was an explosion at about 10.30am just outside the gates of the Rafah Preparatory A Boys school.

A group of children and some adults were buying sweets and biscuits from hawkers.

There have been a considerable number of air strikes in the area overnight and on Sunday morning. Witnesses said there was a deep hole in the ground about eight metres from the school gates that was new, and blood on the floor was being cleaned up.

More than 2,000 people were thought to be seeking refuge in the school, many of them from the east of Rafah where there has been very heavy bombing since Friday, with at least 100 people thought to have been killed in the last few days.

Last Wednesday, at least 15 Palestinians who sought refuge in a UN-run school in Jabalya refugee camp were killed during fighting, and the UN said it appeared that Israeli artillery had hit the building.

• Byrnzie said:

You cannot expect everybody who chimes in here to know about your personal history with this the conflict. This thread is on the Porch. Not many people who frequent it are regular visitors of AMT. You who think they are in the know and maybe are want to enlighten and educate others who have not reached your point of knowledge yet. To me, as a "newb" in this whole thing, as someone who is interested in educating themselves, the tone in here is offputting. Yes, it is a topic where opinions are strong and where emotions rage high. But like I said before, the sound makes the music. At least to me. If somebody just belittles everything I say as somebody who has not been informing themselves for a couple of years, I do not feel like following the convo any longer. And then this whole thread is becoming a joke, because people who come in here to read, do not do it for the informational value, but just for checking out how the roosters are fighting.

I have no problem with somebody admitting that they don't really understand the conflict. But I do have a problem with people who don't understand anything about it posting the Fox News narrative - something they heard said on the t.v - as a fact, or with people calling for apathy, and criticizing those people who are trying to do something to change the situation.

You missed her point, Byrzine (cant get over that! :)) ).

She basically expressed that she was genuinely interested in seeking information, questioning the crisis, and seeking answers from those that could help her.

As Leez essentially stated, she feels vulnerable participating in this discussion because of the open hostility displayed. I feel that at least here, we would do better exercising a level of tolerance to encourage more participation and broadening the spectrum of informed people... therefore, ultimately generating a groundswell of support for the issue you care so deeply about.

For example, I though 'fuck', in the MT, did an exemplary job of detailing much of the history of the current climate for the Gaza Strip. He never spoke down to anyone and he took his time to carefully and succinctly detail relevant aspects of the past which has led to our current reality.

I'm not following this thread as closely as I'm following the threads in the MT, so I'm not sure if she posted a link and got destroyed for doing it (like so many others)... but I think the level of patience and tolerance has gone out the window at times with regards to this topic.
    This is for Leeze.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/17/5902177/9-questions-about-the-israel-palestine-conflict-you-were-too
    edited August 2014

Stop being at war with yourself.
    edited August 2014

Funny that you pretend that those of us opposed to the latest Israeli massacre of Palestinians are somehow pro-war.

Either way, it's not a war. A war is when two armies are fighting.

The Palestinians don't have peace. They've had no peace for the past 60 years.

But then you don't care about that, do you?

Why don't you try preaching your sentimental babble to the Palestinians under Israeli occupation? I'm sure they'll appreciate your condescension and your patronizing of their situation.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Keep the quotes coming, they're great.

It's not a war, it's a massacre.

backseatLover12 keeps pretending there's a war between Israel and the people of Gaza. She does this because it allows her to delude herself into adopting a state of apathy, by believing that 'both sides are as bad as each other', and that they share an equal responsibility for the conflict.
    This willful delusion also allows her to take a moral high-ground from which she can patronize and condescend those people being oppressed, terrorized and slaughtered, while pretending that she possesses some superior wisdom.
  • Byrnzie said:

backseatLover12 keeps pretending there's a war between Israel and the people of Gaza. She does this because it allows her to delude herself into adopting a state of apathy, by believing that 'both sides are as bad as each other', and that they share an equal responsibility for the conflict.
    This willful delusion also allows her to take a moral high-ground from which she can patronize and condescend those people being oppressed, terrorized and slaughtered, while pretending that she possesses some superior wisdom.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    I love a meme pissing contest. carry on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

That would mean that there has to be a willingness to understand. An open mind, an open heart.
This discussion has been closed.