Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    edited August 2014
    It is because I talked about objective reports from news agencies. And yeah, there might be other sources. But I still stand by what I said. anything can be propaganda. You gotta read between the lines. Which I am sure you do. Not just feed on anything that fits your belief or agenda. Anything, be it from "Amnesty International, the United Nations, recorded speeches, political statements, the documents pertaining to international law" might be flawed statements at this point.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    hedonist said:

Earlier you'd said "what makes you think that everything I post comes from the internet?", but it does, as do the other sources of information you mentioned after.

No it doesn't.

anything can be propaganda. You gotta read between the lines. Not just feed on anything that fits your belief or agenda. Anything, be it from "Amnesty International, the United Nations, recorded speeches, political statements, the documents pertaining to international law" might be flawed statements at this point.

So the tenets of international law can be dismissed as propaganda, or as 'flawed'? Really? Are you sure about that?
    The recorded words of a politician or military leader can be dismissed as propaganda? If somebody said something, and it was recorded, then where's the ambiguity?
    If concrete evidence is obtained by Amnesty international that Israel dropped white phosphorous on Gaza then where's the ambiguity?

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Byrnzie said:

hedonist said:

Earlier you'd said "what makes you think that everything I post comes from the internet?", but it does, as do the other sources of information you mentioned after.

No it doesn't.

Does too!

OK, OK. Posting links from various websites is in no way internet-related. Can't get to the former without the latter, no?

I'm tempted to pull that doodyhead card, but shall gently put it back in the deck...and shuffle.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    I for one have learned a lot from the facts posted here and I hope that continues.

If some are so easily offended they can hit the ignore button.

edited August 2014
    hedonist said:

Does too!

OK, OK. Posting links from various websites is in no way internet-related. Can't get to the former without the latter, no?

I'm tempted to pull that doodyhead card, but shall gently put it back in the deck...and shuffle.

I said that not everything I post comes from the internet. What part of that don't you understand?

This may come as a surprise to you (Are you American?) but there are these things called 'books'. You should check 'em out sometime.

Post edited by Byrnzie on
    The recorded words of a politician or a military leader can defo be dismissed as propaganda in my book. Amnesty International might be another animal, as well as international law. I was a little too loose with my quote there.

For the record, I am in no way offended but speaking my mind like anyone else here.

(and never felt the need to hit a button to ignore anyone - I'm a big girl and can handle different opinions. I'll continue to chime in as I hope others will, no matter the view.)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,871
    hedonist said:

Byrnzie said:

hedonist said:

No it doesn't.

Does too!

:))
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

The recorded words of a politician or a military leader can defo be dismissed as propaganda in my book.

How so? If something is recorded and is on the record, then it's recorded and on the record. You're confusing the content of what somebody says with the fact of them having said it.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    hedonist said:

For the record, I am in no way offended but speaking my mind like anyone else here.

(and never felt the need to hit a button to ignore anyone - I'm a big girl and can handle different opinions. I'll continue to chime in as I hope others will, no matter the view.)

But the complaints here against some are that they have derailed the thread. War/peace. That is debatable.

This discussion is mostly about one person here, not about anything else. That to me makes it officially off the rail.
    Byrnzie said:

The recorded words of a politician or a military leader can defo be dismissed as propaganda in my book.

How so? If something is recorded and is on the record, then it's recorded and on the record. You're confusing the content of what somebody says with the fact of them having said it.
    :-/ You don't think that politicians spout propaganda that then gets disseminated to the masses??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    dignin said:

hedonist said:

But the complaints here against some are that they have derailed the thread. War/peace. That is debatable.

This discussion is mostly about one person here, not about anything else. That to me makes it officially off the rail.
    It is kind of pathetic. Like I said above, cut out the bullshit, and clear the way for an honest discussion. But the bullshit just keeps piling up.

hedonist said:

Have you ever heard of something called 'books' hedonist? They can be very useful. Some are full of interesting information and 'facts'.

Byrnzie said:

This may come as a surprise to you (Are you American?) but there are these things called 'books'. You should check 'em out sometime.

Why are you saying stuff like this? If you want to be somebody who enlightens people, you should not be saying stuff like this. You come off as somebody who just hates America and Americans. Maybe you are even one yourself, I don't know. But not everybody you are talking to in here is like your calculations that you get from the internet or your sources. People do care about others, people do seek out other news sources than the Huffington Post, people do care. people want PEACE. You are not alone. But in order to find allies, you gotta be nice.

Well, it fades in and out, lol.
    edited August 2014
    PJ_Soul said:

:-/ You don't think that politicians spout propaganda that then gets disseminated to the masses??

Yeah, but in your continuing efforts to focus on me, and to try and 'catch me out', you've completely missed my point.

Here, It's not difficult to understand:

A politician says something. What he says may be propaganda, or it may be 100% truthful. Regardless, did he say those words, or did he not say them? He said them. Therefore his speaking of those words is a recorded fact.
    K.
    I think the topic keeps coming back to you because of something you are doing...

Anyway, that's getting pretty boring. Wtf is happening on CNN? 8-} X_X
    Meanwhile:

Byrnzie, the only focus on you, outside of otherwise pretty decent (and sadly surprisingly) discussions, is when you start with the put-downs - to put it nicely.

I and I'm pretty sure no one here is out to get you.
    Byrnzie said:

hedonist said:

Have you ever heard of something called 'books' hedonist? They can be very useful. Some are full of interesting information and 'facts'.

Whoa whoa whoa...paper with words on 'em and written by real-life people?

Hell's bells!

This is what I was talking about, man. No need to condescend.

So maybe back to non-personal shit.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    I'm really curious as to how someone here keeps getting away with saying that the comments of other is here are "bullshit". Personally, at this point I would actually prefer to read anyone's "bullshit" rather than see yet another endless cut and past internet article, or twitter or photograph specifically posted to target one's gut emotion. At least bullshit comes out of a living mouth or anus (depending on the meaning of the word) rather than from a few pushed keyboard buttons.

And I wonder: Is it possible to be angry, heated, upset yet at the same time civil? I think so. Let's give that a shot, eh?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    brianlux said:

I'm really curious as to how someone here keeps getting away with saying that the comments of other is here are "bullshit". Personally, at this point I would actually prefer to read anyone's "bullshit" rather than see yet another endless cut and past internet article, or twitter or photograph specifically posted to target one's gut emotion. At least bullshit comes out of a living mouth or anus (depending on the meaning of the word) rather than from a few pushed keyboard buttons.

And I wonder: Is it possible to be angry, heated, upset yet at the same time civil? I think so. Let's give that a shot, eh?

Wow, didn't expect that Brian. So I shouldn't post pics anymore? I'm assuming that was directed at me about posting pics because I have been posting a shitload of pics in amt, and some In here. And honestly, I've only really gotten into it with RR and BS but RR and I are cool no matter what we may have said in the back and forth. At least I think we are. And if my pics are offensive or you're getting bored with them, maybe don't click on the thread? Not trying to sound like a dick. Just wasn't expecting that.
    Not at all badbrains. Images are useful media. They convey more information than words at times. But looking at this thread and others IN GENERAL and seeing so many images and copy and pasted articles with little in the way of well thought out personal comments, it just baffles me that some of us who do try to form a cohesive thought are told we're full of bullshit. You did not do that.

More importantly IN GENERAL, there is just so much animosity here... on a thread that started out talking about being anti-war and trying to get people to work together. Should I take my frustration over this and go pack? I hope you will say, "no."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

hedonist said:

Whoa whoa whoa...paper with words on 'em and written by real-life people?

Hell's bells!

This is what I was talking about, man.

Actually, you were claiming that everything I post is taken from the internet. I said that it isn't. But you refused to accept that.

edited August 2014
    brianlux said:

I'm really curious as to how someone here keeps getting away with saying that the comments of other is here are "bullshit".

I'm also really curious to know how some people can get away with labeling another poster a racist, on numerous occasions, and with zero evidence of any racism having been expressed. This thread isn't the first time that PJ Soul has thrown that despicable label at me.
    But if I respond to somebody's blatant lying with the word 'bullshit', when they're trying to excuse and justify the mass-murder of civilians, then supposedly you're all shocked and offended?

Reminds me of Obama saying that Hamas killing IDF soldiers is "despicable", whilst at the same time he authorizes a new multi-Million $$ arms shipment to the Israeli's so they can murder more babies.

Such is the World we live in.

I think you all know I'm not in favor of name calling and I don't like having my opinions labeled as bullshit. Simple enough? Thanks.

• AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    I think it's sad that a threat starting out as a pledge for peace, ends up in a war of words. I get the feeling that most people in this discussion are not in it to listen to each other but just to give a reply. That, in my opinion, is the problem of most of our 'communication' we don't listen to what the other person is saying, we just get worked up over the things we assume the other is saying and pick a fight.

You see it happening all over the world at the moment, people do present facts that contradict themselves, facts can be twisted, and are twisted at the moment, it all depends on the point of view, in which you are looking at them. I don't know the 'true' if there is any, so I WILL NOT PICK A SIDE. which probable makes me an enemy of both sides...

The only thing which in my opinion is not debatable is the point, that in every war there is immense human suffering on both sides.. In this conflict in particulate both sides blame the opposite side as the offender, and see themselves forced into defense. And we all get forced into choosing sides. and by choosing sides we just keep up fueling this war. Both sides have done horrible things, in the name of justice, so I think both sides are to blame in this conflict, but also on both sides there are examples of deep human empathy, War brings out the worse and best in people. Lets not focus on the differences in this, or any other fight. Lets look at the common grounds... "It hurts no matter which side the bombs are falling on..."

Let's fight together for peace!!!
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
    edited August 2014
    So far 1500 Palestinians killed - approx 80-90% of them civilians, and 66 Israelis have been killed - 3 of them civilians.

One side has been engaged in a 47 year old illegal occupation and encroaching land-grab, possesses one of the Worlds most advanced military machines, and is supported by the Worlds only Superpower, which supplies it with billions of dollars of military aid and a rubber stamp at the U.N with which to perpetuate its crimes, including multiple war crimes, such as the deliberate targeting of civilians and medical personnel, the bombing of schools, hospitals, children's playgrounds, and U.N safe houses.

The other side has no army, no navy, and no air-force. It consists mostly of a defenseless civilian population.

But you say hat both sides are equally to blame?

And you say "Let's fight together for peace!!"

It's not possible to fight for peace without some basic understanding of the fundamental realities of the conflict.
    edited August 2014
    By claiming that both sides are to blame and that we're essentially looking at a level playing field, they'll be no peace - just a perpetuation of ignorance, the narrative of the oppressor, with all of its attendant lies, and further oppression and violence.

This discussion has been closed.