Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331

Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

What are YOU doing for the people being slaughtered in Gaza?????? As far as I can tell, all you're doing is making people disengage from the topic on a rock band's message board.

I've already answered that question, about half-a dozen times.

I've read a lot of your posts on this subject for the better part of a month now, Byrnzie.

I can honestly say I don't recall you mentioning what you were 'actively' doing for the people of Palestine. You may have said what it is you are doing- other than dominating PJ's forums on the subject- but whatever it might be... it's hardly so dignified that you can dismiss someone so rudely as you did to backseatlover a page back.

That was seriously uncool. Not quite as uncool as the over-the-top-rapid-exchanges-of-memes-that-all-basically-said-the-same-thing... but still really uncool.

The street runs both ways. I've been following this thread from the start and some may play innocent but they can throw mud with the best of them.
    Israel calls limited truce amid global fury

Seven-hour pause announced after attack on school prompts outcry but Hamas warns Gazans to 'take extreme caution'.
    Last updated: 04 Aug 2014 03:05

Israel announced it would be holding its fire in most of Gaza for seven hours on Monday, amid world outrage over a deadly strike on a UN school in the Palestinian territory.

The limited and unilateral truce came after world powers fiercely condemned the attack that left 10 Palestinians sheltering at a school dead, as Israel was pulling some of its troops from Gaza.

The truce will only apply to parts of the Gaza strip where there is currently no military activity.

The announcement was received with distrust by the Palestinian group Hamas, whose spokesman in Gaza, Sami Abu Zuhri, warned the lcoal population to be wary.

"Israel’s so called humanitarian ceasefire is unilateral and it comes in a time when the Zionist enemy wants to distract the world from the massacres they have committed against our people in Gaza," Abu Zuhri told its Al-Aqsa television station.

"We don’t trust their intentions and we ask our people to take extreme caution."

The Israeli army said the seven-hour "humanitarian window" would take place between 0700-1400 GMT in all of the Palestinian enclave except the area east of the southern city of Rafah, "where clashes were still ongoing and there was Israeli military presence."

The army warned in a statement that it would "respond to any attempt to exploit this window" and attack civilians and soldiers during the truce.

It also said that residents of Abasan al Kabira and Abasan al Saghira, two villages east of Khan Yunis in southern Gaza, could return home.

The Israeli army said that it had on Sunday targeted three Islamic Jihad fighters on a motorbike "in vicinity of an UNRWA school in Rafah."

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called the attack on the school sheltering some 3,000 Palestinians who had fled their homes due to the fighting "a moral outrage and a criminal act".

"This madness must stop," he said.

Israel 'sorry'

US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Washington was "appalled" by the attack and called for a "full and prompt" investigation.

"Israel must do more to meet its own standards and avoid civilian casualties," she said.

French President Francois Hollande said the bombing of the school was "unacceptable", backing calls by Ban "to ask that those responsible for this violation of international law answer for their actions", without saying who he considered responsible.

In a statement early on Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said "Israel does not aim its fire at civilians and is sorry for any attack that unintentionally hits civilians," without directly addressing the attack on the school.

Israeli strikes on Gaza continued on Monday and killed 11 people, among them an Islamic Jihad commander, raising the death toll since the July 8 beginning of the confrontation to over 1,820 according to Palestinian medical sources.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/08/israel-calls-limited-truce-amid-global-fury-201483233045146462.html
    UN calls attack on Gaza school 'criminal act'. Says Israel told of coordinates 33 times, last time just 1hr before hit that killed 10

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gaza-conflict-israel-declares-7-hour-humanitarian-ceasefire-1.2726449
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Never change EV. Your a role model for human compassion delivered with rock and roll soul.

Leap for fait, Eddie!...
    He surfs among restless sea atolls
    A vast heroic wave, cradles the explicit solstice soul.

In joyous part.

I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • dignin said:

Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

What are YOU doing for the people being slaughtered in Gaza?????? As far as I can tell, all you're doing is making people disengage from the topic on a rock band's message board.

I've read a lot of your posts on this subject for the better part of a month now, Byrnzie.

I can honestly say I don't recall you mentioning what you were 'actively' doing for the people of Palestine. You may have said what it is you are doing- other than dominating PJ's forums on the subject- but whatever it might be... it's hardly so dignified that you can dismiss someone so rudely as you did to backseatlover a page back.

That was seriously uncool. Not quite as uncool as the over-the-top-rapid-exchanges-of-memes-that-all-basically-said-the-same-thing... but still really uncool.

The street runs both ways. I've been following this thread from the start and some may play innocent but they can throw mud with the best of them.
    Message received. Thanks.

Maybe it wasn't my place to speak without having kept myself abreast of the discussion.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Byrnzie said:

Funny that you pretend that those of us opposed to the latest Israeli massacre of Palestinians are somehow pro-war.

Either way, it's not a war. A war is when two armies are fighting.

Pearl Jam put Chomsky's image on a skateboard so you have to think they largely agree with the things he has talked about. And his opinions on Israel Palestine have been a major part of what he has talked about.
  • AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219

I believe education is really important in the matter of every subject, but especially this one.. But education is not taking just one site for granted and blame it all on the other side....

Lets make myself perfectly clear on where I stand in this matter...

But that doesn't take away my ability to admit that also there is fear and grief on Isrealian site
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/04/cash-weapons-surveillance

Each time Israel attacks Gaza and massacres its trapped civilian population – at the end of 2008, in the fall of 2012, and now again this past month – the same process repeats itself in both U.S. media and government circles: the U.S. government feeds Israel the weapons it uses and steadfastly defends its aggression both publicly and at the U.N.; the U.S. Congress unanimously enacts one resolution after the next to support and enable Israel; and then American media figures pretend that the Israeli attack has nothing to do with their country, that it’s just some sort of unfortunately intractable, distant conflict between two equally intransigent foreign parties in response to which all decent Americans helplessly throw up their hands as though they bear no responsibility.
    edited August 2014
    Byrnzie said:

Each time Israel attacks Gaza and massacres its trapped civilian population – at the end of 2008, in the fall of 2012, and now again this past month – the same process repeats itself in both U.S. media and government circles: the U.S. government feeds Israel the weapons it uses and steadfastly defends its aggression both publicly and at the U.N.; the U.S. Congress unanimously enacts one resolution after the next to support and enable Israel; and then American media figures pretend that the Israeli attack has nothing to do with their country, that it’s just some sort of unfortunately intractable, distant conflict between two equally intransigent foreign parties in response to which all decent Americans helplessly throw up their hands as though they bear no responsibility.

First of all I'm no American, second of all I've invested a lot off time reading about this conflict since the early 90's. Tird of all I've read this statement in an other threat in AMT. Where you at the Washington demonstration? I was in Amsterdam last sunday, a pro Palistina demo by the way... Don't be so hasty to put people in a corner, You're like a loose canon attacking people, which do have a slightly different opinion than you, on most part we do agree, but by your offensive way off speaking to others, you do more harm to your cause than you do support it. Listen to what others say, and do be so hasty to judge...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    "The truce will only apply to parts of the Gaza strip where there is currently no military activity."

Not much of a truce then, is it?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Somehow I had never seen this...

http://youtu.be/qqPzS8Y27Ks

Aafke said:

Byrnzie said:

First of all I'm no American, second of all I've invested a lot off time reading about this conflict since the early 90's. Tird of all I've read this statement in an other threat in AMT. Where you at the Washington demonstration? I was in Amsterdam last sunday, a pro Palistina demo by trhe way... Don't be so hasty to put people in a corner, You're like a loose canon attacking people, who do have a slightly different opinion than you, on most part we do agree, but by your offensive way off speaking to others, you do more harm to your cause than you do support it. Listen to what others say, and do be so hasty to judge...
    First of all, the article above wasn't directed at you.
    Second of all, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about me. I know I'm a good person. I speak my mind, and as far as political issues are concerned I try to avoid opinions and beliefs and stick to the facts instead. And if anyone happens to be offended by the information I post then I really couldn't care less. As far as I'm concerned, it's their problem.
    edited August 2014
    Look to this film, two colliding views of the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m2o-qYGI_A

I do Agree with professor Norman Finkelstein on this one, but you can clearly see the different view the Israeli's have on the point of the 'war', they also see themselves as victims and the fear of the girl is real, no matter if you agree with her point of view or not...
    Post edited by Aafke on
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Byrnzie, I'm not offended by the plethora of information you've culled or the links you post. I'm not even offended by your comments and opinions, though many of them do come off as patronizing, to be polite - even entertaining! - in how they're presented. If you don't care that It takes away from the validity and sincerity of the message, so be it.

Signed,
    Another "good person"

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Byrnizie, I too am not offended by the information you disseminate here. Much of it it educational and useful. It's the personal attacks that get in the way of making that information more accessible.

I'm bad, bad to the bone. LOL!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014

dignin said:

Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

Message received. Thanks.

Maybe it wasn't my place to speak without having kept myself abreast of the discussion.
    Maybe you should read for yourself and see where I have posted that I was done with the personal attacks, yet he continued and I ignored him.

Some people are bent on wrecking a thread, a thread that was suppose to be about peace. Congrats. (not you 30Bills)
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • fuck said:

So, how many people made it to Washington for the National March on the White House: End the Massacre in Gaza yesterday?

I was there. Were you?
    That's awesome that you were there. I just found out about it yesterday. How was it?
    edited August 2014

• JimmyV said:

Somehow I had never seen this...

http://youtu.be/qqPzS8Y27Ks

Good one.

Powerful.

edited August 2014
    Peace. It is a fact that peace can happen, it is not an opinion.

Peace. It is a fact that peace can happen, it is not an opinion.

Your tax dollars are preventing peace from happening. And what are you doing about it?

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

I asked what you're doing for the people slaughtered in Gaza, not if you have sent a few useless emails to some local pro-Israeli politicians expressing your views.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    Byrnzie said:

mickeyrat said:

Byrnzie said:

mickeyrat said:

Byrnzie said:

Unfortunately, no war has ever been stopped by ignorance, apathy and inaction.

but this isnt war is it?
    What do you think?
    about what?
    I have lots of thoughts about lots of things. Some I may be wrong on others not so much.
    About what? About the question I asked you - Is it a war?

Is it a war when one military machine - the fourth largest in the World - attacks a people with no army, no navy, no air-force, and no heavy weaponry, and which consists mostly of a defenseless civilian population? Is that a war?

you asked "what do you think" by itself , but in the context of the exchange I knew what you meant.

You have repeatedly referred to this as a massacre in some posts and a war in others. So my question to YOU still stands.

IMO , it IS a war. HAMAS is/was the democratically elected leaders of Gaza, so we have two governments fighting this conflict. Weapons wise is is very one sided, one side has a trained professional Standing Army with a major backer in both cash and weapons while the other has willing citizens to stand up to the oppression who seems to be getting funding from the same source?, who I am sure have trained as well. Hamas has nothing to lose , so to speak, and that makes them more dangerous to current order. We've seen this time and again. (think mujahadeen, vietcong, etc).

What is happening to the civilians is a fucking travesty. They are trapped.

Its just words , but there has been a change in tone by the US (State Dept statement) in regards to the latest school strike. With the expected protest from Israel. But it IS a start.

My HOPE is that the tipping point has been reached. It will get uglier as it moves forward but I think we are witnessing the turning tide

As for any action I can take( seen you ask others) its election season. The man whos supposed to represent me is up for re-election. Gerrymandered districts make it near impossible to vote him out, but I will be speaking to him or his office about my general displeasure in representation.

What are you doing? Participating in any marches for free palestine movements?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I was watching Bill Maher the other night and he was basically suggesting that palestine were using their dead as propaganda. That they were letting their children die as a propaganda weapon. I always liked him and most often agreed with him but "god who would want to be such an asshole".
    edited August 2014
    mickeyrat said:

You have repeatedly referred to this as a massacre in some posts and a war in others

Actually? I've not referred to it as a war at any time. Maybe one or two of those memes contain the word war though.

No, it's not a war. It's a massacre. Hamas has no army, no navy, no Air Force, no heavy artillery, no arm out, etc. They're being attacked by the fourthsrgest army in the World.
    mickeyrat said:

What are you doing? Participating in any marches for free palestine movements?

Unfortunately there are no demo's taking place in mainland China. But I've been busy doing everything else that I can, such as writing to my MP, my representatives In the European Parliament, and about five people in the House of Lords.
    That, and countering Israel's army of paid Internet bullshitters on everything from the New Yorker, FB, Youtube, Jerusalem Post, Guardian, Haaretz, etc.

I was watching Bill Maher the other night and he was basically suggesting that palestine were using their dead as propaganda. That they were letting their children die as a propaganda weapon. I always liked him and most often agreed with him but "god who would want to be such an asshole".

I have to admit (and I know by posting these words I am setting myself up for a shit storm of every kind of verbal abuse) that this issue has me a bit confused. What I have read by those of you who are more informed and educated on this issue leads me to believe that the idea of the Palestinians "letting their children die as a propaganda weapon" or shield seems to be mis-information but then someone like Elie Wiesel who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 and seems very well education says they are:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/03/world/meast/elie-wiesel-hamas-ad/index.html

Please read the article before telling me to fuck off and die.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited August 2014
    brianlux said:

I was watching Bill Maher the other night and he was basically suggesting that palestine were using their dead as propaganda. That they were letting their children die as a propaganda weapon. I always liked him and most often agreed with him but "god who would want to be such an asshole".

I have to admit (and I know by posting these words I am setting myself up for a shit storm of every kind of verbal abuse) that this issue has me a bit confused. What I have read by those of you who are more informed and educated on this issue leads me to believe that the idea of the Palestinians "letting their children die as a propaganda weapon" or shield seems to be mis-information but then someone like Elie Wiesel who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 and seems very well education says they are:

I read it and didn't find anything particularly compelling about it. Sounded like propaganda to me, and the fact that it is an ad campaign should tell you a lot.

But I gave it a shot.
    Post edited by dignin on
    edited August 2014
    dignin said:

brianlux said:

I read it and didn't find anything particularly compelling about it. Sounded like propaganda to me, and the fact that it is an ad campaign should tell you a lot.

But I gave it a shot.
    Yeah could be and all hyperbole aside ('cause I know no one hates me that much, LOL) we do hear similar statements like this often. I can't imagine Wiesel simply spouting propaganda. So I wonder, is this really is 100% Israel fucking up or is there at least a little to be said about the Palestinians fucking up too? If so, should they also be held accountable as part of the problem? And how does this affect the possibility of peace ever being attainable? (And yes, I'm still outraged by the atrocious killing the Israeli side is responsible for. All killing is atrocious in my book.)

PLEASE!, don't stone me (with rocks- green is OK). I just hope it is acceptable to ask these questions.

Post edited by brianlux on

This discussion has been closed.