Imagine That -- I’m Still Anti-War

Comments

• backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited August 2014
    Jerusalem Hug
    http://jerusalemhug.org

On Monday June 23th 2014 many hundreds of people will embrace the Old City of Jerusalem. Israelis and Palestinians as well as peace activists from all over the world will walk hand in hand around the city walls. They will stand shoulder to shoulder, sharing their wish for peace and their love for Jerusalem. The Old City as a whole is a sanctuary. It should remain a freely accessible area within an undivided Jerusalem, a city for Palestinians and Israelis and a center for the entire world.

The aim of the “Jerusalem Hug” is to promote a peaceful experience, a life of freedom and joy to all people. The “Jerusalem Hug” focuses on love, respect and unity between all people. With this attitude the participants will spread out around the walls of the Old City, holding hands, singing and praying for peace and respect for all humankind.

Worldwide hope to reach a political solution for the Middle East conflict has been lost. The “Jerusalem Hug” symbolizes a different way to achieve peace. We need to head in a new way: the way of the heart. We believe that when we find peace in ourselves and when we are able to forgive, world peace will come closer. Change begins at the basis.

When the inhabitants of Jerusalem open their hearts to one another and consider their fellow residents as equals, they will not deem the disparities between them desirable anymore. And when there is the intention to live together in an undivided Jerusalem, it will also be possible to make it happen throughout the Holy Land! Palestinians and Israelis: two peoples, two nations, living side by side in one country without borders as a federation with Jerusalem as its capital.

The “Jerusalem Hug” gives expression to this wish for change as a concrete statement. Jerusalem stands as a symbol for peace and forgiveness. Let Jerusalem be a city of connection, the heart of the world, where unity and peace will be a fact.

The “Jerusalem Hug” took place in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 2012 and 2013. The events were joined by more than 5000 participants: residents of Jerusalem, Palestinians and Israelis, as well as peace activists from all over the world.

Post edited by backseatLover12 on
    edited August 2014
    dankind said:

Only someone full of hatred would have a problem with Mother Theresa. And although she served Jesus, she was more about love, peace and community than she was about religion. She was purely servicing the poor and giving of herself like no one else can. And you put her down.

I highly recommend that you read The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher Hitchens before you attempt to advance that argument.

Sorry, off topic, but the book is an eye opener.

Seriously, if you don't want to buy it, I'll gift it to you. Just PM me your address.

Hitch pissed me off to no end throughout his career as an asinine albeit knowledgeable contrarian, but his research was always thorough and his opposing viewpoints (to mine, at least) were always worth considering.

Edit: Here's a link to the Amazon listing, although I would urge anyone to support their local bookshop.
    I'm sure she wasn't perfect. For every person who is selfless and does good deeds though, is another ready to crack that other person down. Why anyone would read a book wrapped up in bad karma is beyond me.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    Byrnzie said:

mickeyrat said:

Byrnzie said:

Unfortunately, no war has ever been stopped by ignorance, apathy and inaction.

but this isnt war is it?
    What do you think?
    about what?
    I have lots of thoughts about lots of things. Some I may be wrong on others not so much.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,832
    edited August 2014

dankind said:

Only someone full of hatred would have a problem with Mother Theresa. And although she served Jesus, she was more about love, peace and community than she was about religion. She was purely servicing the poor and giving of herself like no one else can. And you put her down.

I highly recommend that you read The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Christopher Hitchens before you attempt to advance that argument.

Seriously, if you don't want to buy it, I'll gift it to you. Just PM me your address.

Hitch pissed me off to no end throughout his career as an asinine albeit knowledgeable contrarian, but his research was always thorough and his opposing viewpoints (to mine, at least) were always worth considering.

Edit: Here's a link to the Amazon listing, although I would urge anyone to support their local bookshop.
    I'm sure she wasn't perfect. For every person who is selfless and does good deeds though, is another ready to crack that other person down. Why anyone would read a book wrapped up in bad karma is beyond me.
    Never your mind, which I see is already made up and narrow, if not closed.

Carry on.

I'll again urge anyone who has not done so to petition the President, State Department or if applicable your foreign representatives to stop anything they are doing that puts blood on your hands.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited August 2014
    dankind said:

dankind said:

Never your mind, which I see is already made up and narrow, if not closed.

Carry on.

I'll again urge anyone who has not done so to petition the President, State Department or if applicable your foreign representatives to stop anything they are doing that puts blood on your hands.
    I should open up my mind as to Mother Theresa being less than saintly? And then read a book about her flaws? Come on. No offense to you at all, don't get me wrong, I'm simply not interested.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

dankind said:

How about in the search for the truth?

• How about working or giving what you can for the greater good of humanitarianism?

http://www.unrwa.org
    United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East

http://www.anera.org
    Aid and Humanitarian Relief for Palestinian Refugees
    ANERA helps Palestinian families and poor communities in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon.

http://secure.savethechildren.org
    Gaza Children in Crisis
  • dignin said:

dankind said:

And what makes that author have the utmost truth? Are you questioning what you read at all?

dignin said:

dankind said:

And what makes that author have the utmost truth? Are you questioning what you read at all?
    Facts and research. Or do you just take what the media and the church say as gospel?

• dignin said:

dignin said:

dankind said:

Facts and research. Or do you just take what the media and the church say as gospel?

Getting this thread back on track, I see that a few of you have it out for Mother Theresa. :roll eyes:
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,118
    edited August 2014
    A map of currently ongoing conflicts around the world:
    http://www.conflictmap.org/map

Too much war.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

How about working or giving what you can for the greater good of humanitarianism?

ANERA helps Palestinian families and poor communities in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon.

Gaza Children in Crisis

Nice to see this positive post by the way.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    JimmyV said:

A map of currently ongoing conflicts around the world:
    http://www.conflictmap.org/map

Too much war.

Damn straight on that, my friend!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

dignin said:

How about working or giving what you can for the greater good of humanitarianism?

Gaza Children in Crisis

Nice to see this positive post by the way.

Yes! We often expect our country to send aid but we can do so as individuals. I'm a firm believer in tithing to support social and environmental causes. It's one of the ways we can do something positive rather than just gripe.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    brianlux said:

is that because you are anti-peace?

'anti-peace'? Really?

So, how many people made it to Washington for the National March on the White House: End the Massacre in Gaza yesterday?

Did you?

PJ_Soul said:

What are YOU doing for the people being slaughtered in Gaza?????? As far as I can tell, all you're doing is making people disengage from the topic on a rock band's message board.

I've already answered that question, about half-a dozen times.

mickeyrat said:

Byrnzie said:

mickeyrat said:

Byrnzie said:

Unfortunately, no war has ever been stopped by ignorance, apathy and inaction.

but this isnt war is it?
    What do you think?
    about what?
    I have lots of thoughts about lots of things. Some I may be wrong on others not so much.
    About what? About the question I asked you - Is it a war?

Is it a war when one military machine - the fourth largest in the World - attacks a people with no army, no navy, no air-force, and no heavy weaponry, and which consists mostly of a defenseless civilian population? Is that a war?

we can’t let the sadness turn into apathy.

• Byrnzie said:

PJ_Soul said:

What are YOU doing for the people being slaughtered in Gaza?????? As far as I can tell, all you're doing is making people disengage from the topic on a rock band's message board.

I've already answered that question, about half-a dozen times.

I've read a lot of your posts on this subject for the better part of a month now, Byrnzie.

I can honestly say I don't recall you mentioning what you were 'actively' doing for the people of Palestine. You may have said what it is you are doing- other than dominating PJ's forums on the subject- but whatever it might be... it's hardly so dignified that you can dismiss someone so rudely as you did to backseatlover a page back.

That was seriously uncool. Not quite as uncool as the over-the-top-rapid-exchanges-of-memes-that-all-basically-said-the-same-thing... but still really uncool.

"My brain's a good brain!"
    Byrnzie said:

brianlux said:

is that because you are anti-peace?

'anti-peace'? Really?

No, Byrnzie, of course I don't believe you are anti-peace. But the personal attacks are, so I'm a bit confused by the incongruity.

edited August 2014

it's hardly so dignified that you can dismiss someone so rudely as you did to backseatlover a page back.

That was seriously uncool.

I was simply going by her own statements, such as "We can't control what happens in the Middle East!", and "Let it go people!!"

Or do those comments suggest to you that she's actively engaged in doing something? If so, then maybe I've entered Alice's Wonderland without realizing it.

edited August 2014
    Do you want me to report you Byrnzie?

Let's just say, I'm the bigger person because I can "let go" of your personal attacks.

• Currently, I’m full of hope. That hope springs from the multitudes of
    people that our band has been fortunate enough to play for night
    after night here in Europe. To see flags of so many different nations,
    and to have these huge crowds gathered peacefully and joyfully is
    the exact inspiration behind the words I felt the need to emphatically relay.
    When attempting to make a plea for more peace in the world at a rock concert,
    we are reflecting the feelings of all those we have come in contact with
    so we may all have a better understanding of each other.

That’s not something I’m going to stop anytime soon. Call me naïve.
    I’d rather be naïve, heartfelt and hopeful than resigned to say
    nothing for fear of misinterpretation and retribution.

The majority of humans on this planet are more consumed by the
    pursuit of love, health, family, food and shelter than any kind of war.

War hurts. It hurts no matter which sides the bombs are falling on.

With all the global achievements in modern technology,
    enhanced communication and information devices, cracking the
    human genome, land rovers on Mars etc., do we really have to
    resign ourselves to the devastating reality that conflict will be
    resolved with bombs, murder and acts of barbarism?

We are such a remarkable species. Capable of creating beauty.
    Capable of awe-inspiring advancements. We must be capable of
    resolving conflicts without bloodshed.

I don’t know how to reconcile the peaceful rainbow of flags we see
    each night at our concerts with the daily news of a dozen global
    conflicts and their horrific consequences. I don’t know how to
    process the feeling of guilt and complicity when I hear about the
    deaths of a civilian family from a U.S. drone strike. But I know that
    we can’t let the sadness turn into apathy. And I do know we are
    better off when we reach out to each other.

“I hope someday you’ll join us,…”

Won’t you listen to what the man said.

• Byrnzie said:

it's hardly so dignified that you can dismiss someone so rudely as you did to backseatlover a page back.

I was simply going by her own statements, such as "We can't control what happens in the Middle East!", and "Let it go people!!"

Or do those comments suggest to you that she's actively engaged in doing something? If so, then maybe I've entered Alice's Wonderland without realizing it.

To be honest, I never saw those comments. Regardless, win her over, Byrnzie. Stress the need to keep the dialogue running and look for the opportunity to gather her into the fold versus crapping all over her.

You have been at this for a long time in these forums- clearly the flag carrier for the opponents of Israel in this matter. You have made a strong impact on many people (including me) with your contributions, but don't weaken that impact by letting your passion override your 'good manners' filter.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069

So, how many people made it to Washington for the National March on the White House: End the Massacre in Gaza yesterday?

I was there. Were you?
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235

Byrnzie said:

To be honest, I never saw those comments. Regardless, win her over, Byrnzie. Stress the need to keep the dialogue running and look for the opportunity to gather her into the fold versus crapping all over her.

You have been at this for a long time in these forums- clearly the flag carrier for the opponents of Israel in this matter. You have made a strong impact on many people (including me) with your contributions, but don't weaken that impact by letting your passion override your 'good manners' filter.
    ^this is so true. I understand your passion on the matter and you have provided a ton of great information but please don't weaken your impact by being dismissive of others who clearly want peace.
    edited August 2014

Do you want me to report you Byrnzie?

I honestly couldn't give a shit.

Let's just say, I'm the bigger person because I can "let go" of your personal attacks.

Doesn't sound to me like you've let go. Sounds to me like you have a huge chip on your shoulder. Maybe you need to read some more Mother Theresa?

Post edited by Byrnzie on

Actually, if you read back through this thread you'll see that they began jumping all over me with their lame personal attacks before I finally replied in kind to them after a few pages of their crap.

edited August 2014

Only someone full of hatred would have a problem with Mother Theresa.

I actually just laughed out loud when I read this and caused the other people in my office to turn and see what I was laughing at. You're gonna get me in trouble if you carry on.

This discussion has been closed.