Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532

strummers said:

It was nothing to do with Wishlist who are a great charity! We/they are completely up front about everything we do.

The Vienna pre-party was just a fan organised gathering.

Also, please stay respectful when discussing the issue. No name-calling etc. just because you have a different opinion to those who want to put the time in to be up front or have differing 'wants' from their gig experiences. I wanted to discuss what I believed to be an unfair way of 'queuing', not a way to disrespect 10c members who want to queue.

On another note, the Vienna gig was amazing! ;)

No problem with getting in line to "get" what you want from a gig. It becomes a problem when you see people saving spots all day for some fan that is out doing other things.

For example, I heard a lady in San Diego this year say something along the lines of " You're not on the list? Just come get in line with us. Do you know who I am?". Obviously a paraphrase, but that's just nonsense.
    The "Do you know who I am" lady is on the Memphis GA List thread and I think we all need to ask her the day off the show who she really is?

She's probably in Europe right now so she can't put herself on the list yet
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    here she is

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

strummers said:

It was nothing to do with Wishlist who are a great charity! We/they are completely up front about everything we do.

Also, please stay respectful when discussing the issue. No name-calling etc. just because you have a different opinion to those who want to put the time in to be up front or have differing 'wants' from their gig experiences. I wanted to discuss what I believed to be an unfair way of 'queuing', not a way to disrespect 10c members who want to queue.

No problem with getting in line to "get" what you want from a gig. It becomes a problem when you see people saving spots all day for some fan that is out doing other things.

For example, I heard a lady in San Diego this year say something along the lines of " You're not on the list? Just come get in line with us. Do you know who I am?". Obviously a paraphrase, but that's just nonsense.
    The "Do you know who I am" lady is on the Memphis GA List thread and I think we all need to ask her the day off the show who she really is?

She's probably in Europe right now so she can't put herself on the list yet
    I would love to know who this person is. God that would be sick to see who this person is that actually thinks she's a somebody. Man oh man
  • Options
    um, I don't know if calling out the Wishlist organizers out as criminals is wise or justified. Maybe it's people who attend those pre parties, but I can't see it being the organizers.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    lolobugg said:

MayDay10 said:

So how are people scoring GA tickets for every show anyways? I cant even get one show.

Strange isn't it.

we may never know.
    Here's how i/we got them.
    My girfriend put San Diego as her first pick and won
    I put in L.A. 1 as my first pick and won
    My girlfriend put in L.A. 2 as her second pick and won

I went 1 for 6 (both L.A. shows and San Diego)
    She went 2 for 6

Just luck. That was the only lottery I have ever won... including the practice lotteries. My overall record is 1 for 15.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192

strummers said:

I will do it once I am un-officially "officially" added.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

um, I don't know if calling out the Wishlist organizers out as criminals is wise or justified. Maybe it's people who attend those pre parties, but I can't see it being the organizers.

Just repeating what was said to me and evidently others have heard same thing. Not calling anyone out directly, and I do see your point that it could be the people who attend them. Either way, it's fucked up if whoever it is is abusing the system.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    benjs said:

JV130312 said:

Having numbers on your hands can sort of have a purpose if people try to cut in I guess.

But the list is so abused it's crazy.

In Amsterdam a bunch of people we're home sleeping but number 1-10 just because they came the night before and had the "night shift" or whatever they call it.

People had numbers on their hands at Auschwitz. Worked out just about as well as the idea of a list has...

First, they were tattooed on their arms, and second, there are some things you just don't joke about.
    Sorry.mmdidnt mean to joke about "the list."
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options

10C nor the band can be responsible for what people do outside the venue before the show. they could say "don't line up" all they want. People still will. the band has no authority over this. Security at the door probably isn't the band's security, either, it's the venue's. And the venue folks don't give two shits about people lining up. so unless there's an uprising by the non-listers, nothing will change. and unfortunately, an uprising will only cause everyone's time to be ruined or people not allowed in the venue at all.

They can get rid of the "general admission" areas.
  • Options
    callen said:

badbrains said:

Is it me or is the common theme involves the list and the preparty? Please tell me these people aren't the ones throwing the preparty and then using it as an excuse to make some list that they would feel intitled to because of their "charitable" work? I heard some rumblings in Brooklyn about this but didn't believe it at the time. But when posts keep mentioning people hanging at the preparty all day and then showing up, cutting the line cuz of some stupid list. If that's the case, then the 10C MOST DEF has to do something about it. That would be some fucked up shit. Dnt know if it's true, but that's what I heard in Brooklyn. Again, it's what was told to me by a couple of different people at the time. Let's hope that's not the case.

I don't know, think PJ shouldn't need to get involved. People just need to stop this list BS. Pretty simple concept really.

1. Get to line and stay there. Bathroom breaks and quick food runs only 15 min where your ticket partner stays.

2. If your partner or friends are late you go back to them if you want to hang, they don't cut.

What's so hard about this??

Did PJ GA once and the entitled jerks were in full force. They stick together so folks need to stand up for themselves. Also should be called out on this board.

So the people standing in line need to literally take a stand and tell the people who aren't in line to fuck off...to the back of the line. It's like the people on the list are bullying their way to the front. We don't like bullies in this day and age...lol.
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Cosmo said:

lolobugg said:

MayDay10 said:

So how are people scoring GA tickets for every show anyways? I cant even get one show.

Strange isn't it.

we may never know.

She went 2 for 6

Just luck. That was the only lottery I have ever won... including the practice lotteries. My overall record is 1 for 15.
    So its not out of the realm of possibility that these people who go to lengths to rig the line in their favor go to even more lengths to get more entries into the GA pools?
  • Options
    cmalisze said:

Here is what could help ease all of this....imo...it woukd take a slight bit more work from 10c BUT would help stop the madness. What about timed entrances on the tickets based on either seniority or when you were drawn for your ticket? For instance, if you were drawn first for GA for wherever you would be allowed the first 20 min timeslot for entrance. Maybe allow 50 people per timeslot? Of course you could enter after your timeslot but it would stop the all day standing if the venue enforced no outside standing as well. Im not the best at explaining but I bet most people get the drift.

I have a good 10C number but the idea of timed entrances by seniority is bullshit. If someone with a high number wants to get there early and sit there for hours, that person deserves to be in the front...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532

Wise? Is the Pearl Jam mafia gonna revoke the membership I have faithfully paid for since forever?

I'm not accusing Wishlist of anything. I'm saying that there is a certain group of groupies that seem to set the rules for the first ten rows of people every damn show I attend. I notice some of them at pre-parties on a consistent basis.

I think it's BS.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options

Wise? Is the Pearl Jam mafia gonna revoke the membership I have faithfully paid for since forever?

I'm not accusing Wishlist of anything. I'm saying that there is a certain group of groupies that seem to set the rules for the first ten rows of people every damn show I attend. I notice some of them at pre-parties on a consistent basis.

I think it's BS.
    Lol...

• Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    they are using the proceeds to buy off security staff and get more memberships and GA tickets

***- kidding. Nowhere near true.
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    MayDay10 said:

here she is

EL GUAPO!!!!! You *will* die like dogs!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Cosmo said:

Cosmo said:

I'm sorry.. but, I have to ask...
    What the fuck is up with Pearl Jam Fans?
    I mean, I have been going to concerts since 1971. The deal was, you get there... you find the last person in the line and you stand behind them. Done.
    You make friends with the people around to and work it out so you can run over to the Chevron Station across the street to take a leak or run over to the 7-11 down the block to get a Pepsi and a bag of Doritos. And you do the same for them. This works out, especially if you go to gigs by yourself. And if the people in front let one or two people in... not that big of a deal. It is when they let in one or twenty people that it becomes a problem... and the other people in line will let them know.
    What has happened? Why do lists only show up at Pearl Jam gigs? They don't show up at Foo Fighter gigs... or Soundgarden... or Queens of the Stoneage, do they?
    Answer: Pearl Jam Fans.
    How about we act like adults and make simple choices... hang out in/near the line all day, miss the parties to get in earlier. OR... go to the parties and get in later. How about we pick one or the other and drop the notion that we are somehow entitled to both.
    I mean... it's pretty fucking simple... lines. Why do we make it so fucking complicated and childish?

Don't lump all of us in with this crowd. There is a group that hits every show in every city. They stand in line all day to get 10ft closer to the stage in hopes that it will somehow be different than the last 5 concerts they went to that week. I think we can safely say that the lunatic fringe sets up shop on the message board complaining about this among themselves. Personally, I went to three shows on the LB tour. I showed up before the (scheduled) start time. Walked in a stood 15 feet behind all the crazies that battled all day for position.

Enjoy the music people!! Have some fun! Pass on a poster on time. It's Rock n' Roll!
    The crazy people who get there early and stay there all day are doing what they are supposed to be doing. It doesn't matter if they go to every show or not. As long as they put in the time... they deserve that spot on the rail. I know, i'm one of those crazy people who do this and have been doing this for a long, long time. I don't go to every show, but the ones that I do go to... I'll shoot for that spot if I can... Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stoneage, whatever.

What I'm talking about are the fans that think they are entitled to go to the venue... put their fucking name on some bullshit piece of paper... run off and do whatever... then, show up when you do and head to the front of the line. Why shouldn't those people have to stand behind you, if you are walking up from your car in the parking lot at the same time they are coming back from where ever they went?
    I'm asking... why do these fucking lists and all sort of rules only show up at Pearl Jam gigs?
    What happened? There weren't lists and rules before. What happened?
    Yes!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options

Yeah, I don't know... so, i can't say. I'm not saying that the people are going to the Wishlist party... but, they are going 'somewhere' other than hanging out in the line with the rest of us, unwashed, huddled masses. Some of them may have spent the day at home or the hotel or fucking Disneyland for all we know. The only thing we do know is that we got to the venue at sunrise and there were 12 people there and we got numbers 33 and 34. Now, i'm not a mathematician, but I knew that just didn't add up.
    It wasn't like that before. Pearl Jam fans used to be a brethren tribe... we were all unwashed, huddled masses. I guess some of us have moved up in class in the Pearl Jam society. I didn't know there were different classes of people in our clan... i thought we were all the same.
    Silly me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options

strummers said:

I know, and that's the exact crap I was talking about in the first place!

Wishlist has nothing to do with individuals/groups creating a BS set of rules so they can have the best of both worlds.

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    BCBA said:

Cosmo said:

lolobugg said:

MayDay10 said:

Strange isn't it.

we may never know.

She went 2 for 6

So its not out of the realm of possibility that these people who go to lengths to rig the line in their favor go to even more lengths to get more entries into the GA pools?
    Yeah... I don't know how people do it. I mean, me and my girlfriend were lucky enough to score 3 General Admission shows by figuring out the priorities in the lottery. My first pick was different from hers and we did our best to not end up with 2 pair for the same show. We would have been happy to just get 1 or 2 of the 3 local SoCal shows. We admit, we just lucked out.
    But, of the 3 shows we went to... we saw a lot of the same people. Most were cool and a lot of them spent the entire day with us in line all 3 days. Then, there were those same people who would first appear an hour before the doors opened and got in line.
    I don't know how they got their tickets... maybe there is some sort of underground ticket network that I'm not aware of... i don't know. A few of them had been to previous gigs... and headed up to Oakland and parts North after L.A. I don't know where they sat (or stood).
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    There was no Wishlist party in Vienna - so, please, no Wishlist conspiracy theories on that front.

This has nothing to do with them as an organisation. There has only been one Euro Wishlist pre-party so far in Europe - so don't use this as an excuse to jump on an ill-advised Wishlist-demonising derailment.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    From the *** Berlin Fanviews Here 6/26/14 *** thread:

(after the song the audience continues to sing the bridge part. Ed joins them for a bit.
    He asks the audience to take three steps back and calls out the middle section when they don’t move. “we can see you are not moving.”)

(After commenting that they like playing the fast songs Ed expresses concern that it is still too crowded up front so he asks the audience to take three steps back and tells the rest of the crowd to “watch the ones in the middle. You are like the soccer player that bites people, you think no one can see you but we can.” This time the entire crowd moves back.)

Any idea who these people might be?!?!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Berlin was brutal in 2009, lots of crushing by the whole crowd!

• Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    The only arguments I've ever seen in favor of a list are: "what if the line has to move" and "it's stupid to wait in line all day". That's all they've got. Pretty weak.

Few people like confrontation and it would suck to see someone get hurt. Everyone is raking their brains trying to think of a solution when in reality, the easiest solution is simple. The list people just have to stop making a list. Seriously. This would all go away if the list just stopped existing.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,774

This is just like being in the 10c for 20 years and then having someone join the club a year ago and get better seats or rather, a seat, instead of you... hardee har har har.....

Well hey, that's what happens when someone(s) turns their back during Even Flow and Alive.

...not saying it was you who did that, but when stuff like the above situation happens, it's time to mix it up a bit.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,774
    MayDay10 said:

Ticket buddies. Go to shows, meet new friends. Stagger your tickets with those of your friends, new and old. For example, your options for a random tour might be:
    Buffalo GA
    Cleveland GA
    Pittsburgh GA
    Detroit GA
    Buffalo Reserved
    Cleveland Reserved
    Pittsburgh Reserved
    Detroit Reserved

Their selections would be basically the exact opposite order. A third buddy might randomize that and a fourth buddy would have the opposite of the third.

If you happen to win reserved and really want the GA, ask around to swap.

OR....if they play LA two nights in row:
    LA 1 Seats
    LA 2 Pit
    LA 2 Seats
    LA 1 Pit

Knowing how the system works, it would be foolish (IMO), to put all your eggs into the basket of one night, so to speak. Likewise, get your ticket buddy to do the exact opposite of what you select.

...makes sense??
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,676

10C nor the band can be responsible for what people do outside the venue before the show. they could say "don't line up" all they want. People still will. the band has no authority over this. Security at the door probably isn't the band's security, either, it's the venue's. And the venue folks don't give two shits about people lining up. so unless there's an uprising by the non-listers, nothing will change. and unfortunately, an uprising will only cause everyone's time to be ruined or people not allowed in the venue at all.

I've seen venue security doing all kinds of things at the request of the performers in terms of fan club ticket control.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

I think it's BS.
    Wise as in making accusations against a group of people that do good. Jesus, man, take a breath. You actually did accuse the organizers directly. Look back at your post.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I think it's BS.
    Wise as in making accusations against a group of people that do good. Jesus, man, take a breath. You actually did accuse the organizers directly. Look back at your post.
    Not for nothing Hugh, but I dnt see any of them on here defending themselves from the "rumors" going around. And just because some of them are doing good work, doesn't make it right for them to dictate who goes where in the GA. If that's the case, then shit, sign me on. I'll have no problem working the preparty fundraisers at all the shows if you're telling me my place will be saved for rail and I dnt have to wait in line all day.

Again, these are rumors some of us heard. If they're not true, then I'm sure we'd all love to hear their side of it. Hard to believe that it's 2014 and people have nothing better to do with their lives then to groupie around with this band. I can understand catching 4-5 shows a tour but to make your life revolve around a rail and pearl jam, shits fucken crazy. What happens to all these people when pearl jam is done? What will they do next? Serious question.

Hugh, I hope you dnt take this as me coming at you. My problem is in no way with you.
    Post edited by badbrains on
  • Options
    melissachunmelissachun Posts: 107
    PJ_Soul said:

10C nor the band can be responsible for what people do outside the venue before the show.

I've seen venue security doing all kinds of things at the request of the performers in terms of fan club ticket control.
    They can get security or a 10c person to be out there all day, but there's a cost associated with it. Them having to pay this person will probably result in a higher ticket price or higher 10c dues. The "listers" are selfish and will probably never change. It doesn't have to get ugly or violent. The rest of us just need to refuse to accept the legitimacy of their "system." Taking a stand for fairness is very PJ-esque.