Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    callen said:

Pacer, so just suck it up huh? BS.

I don't see anywhere in his statement where he said suck it up. His advice is right. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and concentrate on creating your own good time.

Self entitled people will always find a way to turn any situation into their advantage. That will never change, and they will never believe its wrong.

So instead of worrying about something that will never be fixed just relax and enjoy the experience.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,613
    It can be fixed/corrected a number of ways though.
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    I'm not in GA anywhere, but found this appropriate:

It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Some dude was giving me aggro last night cos I was near the front but didn't have a number and he did. It's GA, that means you can stand where you like. I didn't push my way through at all. This was 2 and a half hours before the band came on. I moved back in the end, though I didn't want too or feel that I should. Anyway turns out this guy bailed from the front 3 songs in last night.

It's a ridiculous made up system and I've never seen it for other bands. These people running the lists are clearly ego-maniacs. And you won't see them in here, cos they are too busy queuing for the next gig....
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    edited June 2014
    How has anyone not taken a pict of so called list ....At least this topic is more entertaining then a thread about Ed's fucking pants ....
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    edited June 2014
    I've been to Milan, Trieste and Vienna and have first hand informaiton about the lists. The way the system "works" is: you pick up a number which gets written on your hand and then you have to attends check-calls. An hour before the doors open people (more or less) align accordingly to the number. Then they enter the venue and pick their spot, sit down and wait. Some people then push through a bit, but generally the best numbers are the first rows. I saw an individual with number 280+ get into the second row by erasing the last number (to became # 28) and shouting "going back to my spot, let me through". He was smart and avoided the spot where the "real" 28 was standing.

Personally I feel that this queueing thing has blown out of proportions. People queue even 2 days before the show which in my mind is invalid and a little crazy (esp. as with arriving around noon or early afternoon on the day of the show you can still get row 3-5). The question is whether this means that I can be in the city a week before and start a list? But OK, I don't want to be judgemental - if this is how they roll.... The problem is that I saw people with best numbers the night before the show in the Trieste city centre square sightseeing and then going to the fans meeting point. People who have lower numbers also know eachother (they are friends or from the same country) so I guess they cover for eachother. In Trieste when they called numbers the list runner often skiped numbers of people he knew, which I found a little bit shady. Few people were crossed out if they weren't there but when there was a final line-up people just don't check anymore if the number was crossed out before - since the first numbers are already neatly in the beginnig of the line so I guess they don't care anymore. They have gotten what they wanted. The problem I see here is that some (not all) people just pick up numbers and left the venue and still get their spot. I am afraid that if this goes further out of proportions that PJ will go USA style in GA - which is seating and which I really don't wnat to happen.

What could be a better way? Better people. The list that is run by staff? Lottery? Numbers in the envelopes when you pick up your 10C tickets? No list at all - first come first serve the old fashion way - if you leave you're out?
    I don't know.
    What I do know is that we should be discussing the music and the fantastic shows and not such a banal and superficial thing as queuing.

Sincerely yours:
    # 82, 167 and 234 :) (and yes I wouldn't mind being #1 once)
    Post edited by Stereotype on
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354

Amazing how NONE of them have come forward and defended their practices of this list. Hmmmmm, they must know that they're def wrong in this matter and dnt want to show their faces around here. They MOST DEF know there are threads going around about their list. We'd all love for them to come speak out instead of hiding like cowards. So come on people, show us "who you are".....
    I've been to Milan, Trieste and Vienna and have first hand informaiton about the lists. The way the system "works" is: you pick up a number which gets written on your hand and then you have to attends check-calls. An hour before the doors open people (more or less) align accordingly to the number. Then they enter the venue and pick their spot, sit down and wait. Some people then push through a bit, but generally the best numbers are the first rows. I saw an individual with number 280+ get into the second row by erasing the last number (to became # 28) and shouting "going back to my spot, let me through". He was smart and avoided the spot where the "real" 28 was standing.

Personally I feel that this queueing thing has blown out of proportions. People queue even 2 days before the show which in my mind is invalid and a little crazy (esp. as with arriving around noon or early afternoon on the day of the show you can still get row 3-5). The question is whether this means that I can be in the city a week before and start a list? But OK, I don't want to be judgemental - if this is how they roll.... The problem is that I saw people with best numbers the night before the show in the Trieste city centre square sightseeing and then going to the fans meeting point. People who have lower numbers also know eachother (they are friends or from the same country) so I guess they cover for eachother. In Trieste when they called numbers the list runner often skiped numbers of people he knew, which I found a little bit shady. Few people were crossed out if they weren't there but when there was a final line-up people just don't check anymore if the number was crossed out before - since the first numbers are already neatly in the beginnig of the line so I guess they don't care anymore. They have gotten what they wanted. The problem I see here is that some (not all) people just pick up numbers and left the venue and still get their spot. I am afraid that if this goes further out of proportions that PJ will go USA style in GA - which is seating and which I really don't wnat to happen.
    The list runners if it matters: Milan - Davide Vendemia; in Trieste an Italian guy that goes by the nickname Mega Dave; the list runner in Vienna was an older English native speaker guy with a long grey beard.
    What could be a better way? That the list is run by staff? Lottery? Numbers in the envelopes when you pick up your 10C tickets? No list at all - first come first serve the old fashion way - if you leave you're out?
    I don't know. What I do know is that we should be discussing the music and the fantastic shows and not such a banal and superficial thing as queuing.

Sincerely yours:
    # 82, 167 and 234 :)

You said a " A little bit shady "
    :)) it's a fucking scam
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    Personally, i think the whole thing is stupid. We are fucking ADULTS here, people. Do we REALLY need hourly bed checks to wait in a fucking line?
    You know who understands lines? Little kids. Little kids stand in line. They get it that you are supposed to stand behind th last person and the next person stands behind you. When you get outside to the playground, you run over to the baseball diamond to play kick ball. Little kids know it is wrong to cut in line and they know the only people who do that are the fucking asshole kids... who grow up to become asshole adults that think they deserve everything they desire and have no time to deal with the rest of us 'Grey People'.
    Why is it that we ADULTS cannot figure out what little kids completely understand? If the concept of lines to too complex for your mind to figure out how it works, so you devise complicated systems of rules, marker numbers, hourly bed checks and list Nazis and their conspirators... go down to the elementary school and ask some 2nd grader how lines work.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I loled at the checks as well
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MayDay10 said:

I loled at the checks as well

I know... Seriously... bed checks? Really? Are we 6 years old?
    And you know what happens... the person 'excuses' the people they know from being there and will only cross out your name because you don't matter to them.
    Again, people... let's cut the childish crap and operate like we are fucking adults already.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    A bit off topic... a couple of years ago, 'The Arcade Fire' had a gig at a liitle place in Los Angeles. You could only get tickets from the local Record Stores... First Come, First Served.
    People advertised 'Places in line'. Really... people got in the line outside the Fingerprints in Long Beach and created ads on Craigs List. People were scalping places in line.
    Of couse, good ol' Fingerprints caught wind of this and kicked the people out of the line.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

A bit off topic... a couple of years ago, 'The Arcade Fire' had a gig at a liitle place in Los Angeles. You could only get tickets from the local Record Stores... First Come, First Served.
    People advertised 'Places in line'. Really... people got in the line outside the Fingerprints in Long Beach and created ads on Craigs List. People were scalping places in line.
    Of couse, good ol' Fingerprints caught wind of this and kicked the people out of the line.

@-)
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,930
    The "I have to be on the rail" people are the absolute worst. And this list bullshit has got to stop. I hope some young, aggresive buck causes a bunch of chaos when he gets told that he has to let 60 people in front of him because they are on a list and he's not. Seriously. Are there people on the board here, or in the FB group that are actually defending it? Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    12 pages - really ???

Pacer was right on the money here.

The majority behave. A few don't. So we want to bring back stalre lifeless seated shows as a result ?

People have queued for years but because a few people don't like numbers or a few people can't follow a simple set of rules and take the piss - we should do away with an age old tradition ? We've never had seats in Europe - so why would the band bring them in now? The band are getting electric audiences and they are thriving off it.

If people want the lottery then maybe numbers could be randomly with tickets but what about the people who do wish to put the time in and queue all day ? They get screwed because a dude joined the fan club earlier ?

I think it's perfectly feasible for the band and tenclub to expect a group of adults to organize themselves properly.

At the end of the day the important numbers are 1-50 - the rail is the key. So people arguing about numbers after that really are arguing over nothing,

I do think the disappearing for hours to sleep sucks don't get me wrong.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,619
    The closer you get to the stage at a PJ show the stranger it gets. ;)
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    One question that I cant wrap my head around is how are these elitist fans going to 25-30 shows every tour? How in the hell can they afford it? Traveling and tickets and time off from work and family for every show... what! The money to follow this band to almost every show would be crazy. And how do they continue to get great tickets when so many people get shut out for their one hometown show on a tour? Something is just off about this as well. It reminds me of that story where rich New Yorkers were hiring disabled children to stand inline at Disney World so their child could get on the ride faster. Messed up.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Can't believe I just read that numbers matter once inside the pit. I think my head is going to explode.
  • Options

The "I have to be on the rail" people are the absolute worst. And this list bullshit has got to stop. I hope some young, aggresive buck causes a bunch of chaos when he gets told that he has to let 60 people in front of him because they are on a list and he's not. Seriously. Are there people on the board here, or in the FB group that are actually defending it? Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread.

You know, I don't HAVE to be on the rail... but, it sure is nice being up there so I will shoot for it whenever I get a chance.
    And i know, that if I want a shot at that spot... i need to pass on a little comfort. I need to spend the day on the sidewalk.
    It is the people who think they can put their name ona bullshit pice of paper and run off an do whatever they please and somehow that name on the piece of paper is the same as sitting on the sidewalk. It's not.
    If people want a spot on the railing... they need to do what everyone else has to forfeit to get it.
    That's all.
    P.S. I don't want to see chaos at a concert. That's why I never go to RAP Concerts.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Im with Cosmo

if I ever decide on getting a bunch of digital memberships requisite to getting GA tickets, I would absolutely try to show up very early and stay there in order to get/secure a great spot (never had the opportunity).
    However, all this bullshit and selfish people scamming would make it too much a struggle and it would be stressful.
  • Options

One question that I cant wrap my head around is how are these elitist fans going to 25-30 shows every tour? How in the hell can they afford it? Traveling and tickets and time off from work and family for every show... what! The money to follow this band to almost every show would be crazy. And how do they continue to get great tickets when so many people get shut out for their one hometown show on a tour? Something is just off about this as well. It reminds me of that story where rich New Yorkers were hiring disabled children to stand inline at Disney World so their child could get on the ride faster. Messed up.

I know people who travel all over for Pearl Jam. They compile a lot of air miles to reduce air fare and know people who let them crash at their place. I let my friends from out of town crash at my pad and I drive to the gigs.
    BUT... the people I know spent the day in line with me. They don't go off to Disneyland... they are there on the sidewalk with the rest of the people who don't feel priviledged.
    If we have seats for the gig... then, we go to Disneyland.
    Also, they go to a few gigs... a lot more than me... but, not 25 to 30.

Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,861
    Please fill me in on the Disneyland story.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Can't believe I just read that numbers matter once inside the pit. I think my head is going to explode.

I know. Once you hit the floor... you're off and running and on your own... all things are equal.
    Feets... don't fail me, now!

Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438

It was a story that went nationwide last year about rich New Yorkers using disabled children to move up in long lines at Disney World. Disney had to change their policies because of the story. I have attached the link for the story.

http://nypost.com/2013/05/14/rich-manhattan-moms-hire-handicapped-tour-guides-so-kids-can-cut-lines-at-disney-world/

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

It was a story that went nationwide last year about rich New Yorkers using disabled children to move up in long lines at Disney World. Disney had to change their policies because of the story. I have attached the link for the story.

http://nypost.com/2013/05/14/rich-manhattan-moms-hire-handicapped-tour-guides-so-kids-can-cut-lines-at-disney-world/

That is one of the saddest things I have ever read.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

You know how handicapped people get to go to the front of the lines to get on the rides at Disneyland?
    Well, these rich people from New York would 'Hire' a handicapped person to get them to the fron to the lines so their priviledged kids could get on. They said they were doing 'Charity Work' by hiring the handicapped... when they were really, using the wheel chairs to skip past all of us people who really don't matter.
    It would be like me... paying a homeless guy to stand in line for me while I go out and get drunk at the pre-party. Hey... i'm helping the homeless, here.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,861
    edited June 2014
    If I see any of you line and listers in a wheelchair before the show.....well then good for you on taking the scam a step further...

Haha

But if I see any of you line and listers in a wheelchair after the show....im gonna say you deserved it!
    Hahahaha

Thats a joke people.
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    Someone should just make some fliers with basic information about this unsanctioned "list' and how it is just fans manipulating other fans. Hand them out at any point before the show....take one pass it down!
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited June 2014

If I see any of you line and listers in a wheelchair before the show.....well then good for you on taking the scam a step further...

Haha

But if I see any of you line and listers in a wheelchair after the show....im gonna say you deserved it!
    Hahahaha

Thats a joke people.

:)) @ "taking the scam a step further.....
    that's hilarious

then they will be miraculously healed when the doors open.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Cosmo said:

You know how handicapped people get to go to the front of the lines to get on the rides at Disneyland?
    Well, these rich people from New York would 'Hire' a handicapped person to get them to the fron to the lines so their priviledged kids could get on. They said they were doing 'Charity Work' by hiring the handicapped... when they were really, using the wheel chairs to skip past all of us people who really don't matter.
    It would be like me... paying a homeless guy to stand in line for me while I go out and get drunk at the pre-party. Hey... i'm helping the homeless, here.
    If someone actually does that now, it's your fault! And this place would explode. :))
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited June 2014
    RS151862 said:

callen said:

Pacer, so just suck it up huh? BS.

I don't see anywhere in his statement where he said suck it up. His advice is right. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and concentrate on creating your own good time.

Self entitled people will always find a way to turn any situation into their advantage. That will never change, and they will never believe its wrong.

So instead of worrying about something that will never be fixed just relax and enjoy the experience.
    I think that is saying suck it up too. But to me that just spells apathy, which continues to allow others to abuse a system to the disadvantage of others. I'm glad many people don't always just say "whatever". If everyone did that then nothing would ever change for the better. I see this whole situation as an injustice. Sure, it's a very minor injustice in the scheme of things, but an injustice nevertheless. It's my view that all injustices should be confronted and, hopefully, eliminated. I hope people start standing up to these jackasses. Or that 10C comes up with some simple way to disallow the list. It would be simple. Not sure why you think this is something that will never be fixed. It would actually be very easy to fix it, if someone would only do it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata