Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Apparently these were handed out to people in line by "PJ Security" Others are posting pics.
    Who knows.

Now things are getting interesting!

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    Sounds good, but looks very unofficial. Very easy for somebody to type that up on their computer. No official 10c markings or letterhead
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Sounds good, but looks very unofficial. Very easy for somebody to type that up on their computer. No official 10c markings or letterhead

I would imagine if Ten Club did put that letter out, it would have been posted here as well. Sounds bogus.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    To be fair, this was posted by them before the tour:

"The GA line is first-come, first-served. In the past, fans have used their own fan created numbering system to save a place in line. This is not organized or policed by the Ten Club. Although we appreciate the good intentions in the fans creating this system, we have seen fans abuse this in the past arriving early to get a number, and then leaving for long expanses of time. We do not condone this. It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the early entry line all day should be of the first in the door. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply communicate to your neighbor that you need a quick break and will be right back and they will ask the same in return from you because this is the right thing to do. The GA line should be a friendly community. Be neighborly and respectful and do not abuse the kindness of your fellow Ten Club members."
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2014

To be fair, this was posted by them before the tour:

"The GA line is first-come, first-served. In the past, fans have used their own fan created numbering system to save a place in line. This is not organized or policed by the Ten Club. Although we appreciate the good intentions in the fans creating this system, we have seen fans abuse this in the past arriving early to get a number, and then leaving for long expanses of time. We do not condone this. It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the early entry line all day should be of the first in the door. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply communicate to your neighbor that you need a quick break and will be right back and they will ask the same in return from you because this is the right thing to do. The GA line should be a friendly community. Be neighborly and respectful and do not abuse the kindness of your fellow Ten Club members."

Yes, and it was stated through email as well. The people saying if Ten Club wanted this to stop they would make a rule, there you go, they clearly have and it gets ignored. I was just saying(without knowing either way) that above letter seems bogus.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    RS151862 said:

callen said:

Pacer, so just suck it up huh? BS.

I don't see anywhere in his statement where he said suck it up. His advice is right. Stop worrying about what everyone else is doing and concentrate on creating your own good time.

Self entitled people will always find a way to turn any situation into their advantage. That will never change, and they will never believe its wrong.

So instead of worrying about something that will never be fixed just relax and enjoy the experience.
    Allowing people to cut in line is not okay. So if I'm 20th in line won't just say oh well and let people cut. This is the problem people are apathetic and this will continue to happen.

In the grand scheme of things agree really it's not that big a deal and wouldn't let it bother me but there is right and wrong.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

The "I have to be on the rail" people are the absolute worst. And this list bullshit has got to stop. I hope some young, aggresive buck causes a bunch of chaos when he gets told that he has to let 60 people in front of him because they are on a list and he's not. Seriously. Are there people on the board here, or in the FB group that are actually defending it? Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread.

If your less than 5' the rails only place to actually see the show so it's bit important for some. That's ga anyway.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

12 pages - really ???

Pacer was right on the money here.

The majority behave. A few don't. So we want to bring back stalre lifeless seated shows as a result ?

People have queued for years but because a few people don't like numbers or a few people can't follow a simple set of rules and take the piss - we should do away with an age old tradition ? We've never had seats in Europe - so why would the band bring them in now? The band are getting electric audiences and they are thriving off it.

If people want the lottery then maybe numbers could be randomly with tickets but what about the people who do wish to put the time in and queue all day ? They get screwed because a dude joined the fan club earlier ?

I think it's perfectly feasible for the band and tenclub to expect a group of adults to organize themselves properly.

At the end of the day the important numbers are 1-50 - the rail is the key. So people arguing about numbers after that really are arguing over nothing,

I do think the disappearing for hours to sleep sucks don't get me wrong.

The list is a farce and used to get buddies up front. Plain and simple. It needs to go away.
  • Options
    PJam82 said:

Someone should just make some fliers with basic information about this unsanctioned "list' and how it is just fans manipulating other fans. Hand them out at any point before the show....take one pass it down!

Great idea.
  • Options

We have 3 GA shows this fall its our first time in GA, my girlfriend is hellbent on getting rail we are short so that is one reason but either way its not like we have had it before or some elitists fans, she plans on waiting on line as soon as she wake up the day of, i will be joining her later on in the day as i cant wait out there too long due to health issues

i think the list can have positives but people leaving for hours and abusing it is the issue but i think we dont need a list to make sure people get bathroom breaks and food breaks i think we are all for the most part caring and normal people so should be able to make friends within those hours take the breaks you need etc.

i would have no problem with someones plus 1 showing up like im going to be doing but anything more is abusing the situation

Agree for short people very important to get up front but can tell you know if list BS list continues you will not get rail regardless of when you get there. They are assigned by list manager.
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:

KC2917 said:

To the weasley little beady eyed fuck in the blue hat running "the list" at Amsterdam 1...

I'm the guy who questioned you and your dumb fucking list before the show. You seriously need to take a step back and question exactly who the fuck you think you are, and what gives you the right to tell people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what to do. People have always lined up for rock shows. That's just the way it goes. If I get there before you, I get in before you, plain and simple. If someone in line needs to take a leak, people get that. This isn't a new concept. Remember when I told you you're sucking the rock and roll right out of rock and roll? That's exactly what you're doing. As a diehard fan of Pearl Jam, I'd like to tell you you're an embarrassment to the rest of us. Did I seriously witness you do a roll call of a group of adults??? Come on. At least there were more people interested in partying at the bar before the show and having a good time then there were people abiding by your dumb made up rules. I don't usually mean to come off so angry, but what I witnessed seriously pissed me off. Adults acting like fucking children. I hope to god the 10c gets involved and puts and end to these Gestapo-type "fans."

That felt good. End of rant.

There have been roll calls at every Springsteen show in Europe for over a decade (except for a couple of shows in Italy on the last tour where a random lottery was used for GA entry). In the Bruce world, the list is run by fans but is honored by the Springsteen org. Reading this thread is hilarious to see such hysteria. The people running the list are doing you a favor because running the list is hard work. Show up, get your number, be there for roll calls, and the day goes smoothly and much more pleasant than standing there.

BS. It allows certain group to be up front and allows line to be artificially started earlier than when it naturally occur. Those that are willing to put in the time IN LINE should have first entrance not those that know the list organizers that are in hotel room sleeping off hangover. The list needs to go and who cares what other bands fans do doesn't make that right either.
  • Options

Oh I'm so confused!! ... I'm sure I'm over thinking this but that's inevitable after reading this entire thread. What to do?

This will be my first GA experience, too, and my anxiety over the stupid lists is what brought me to the forum. I actually feel better, because even though it pisses me off, I know I'm not alone. The bottom line is that the list is only valid if those who waited in line all day allow it to be valid. From the posts in this thread and a few others, it seems unlikely that the lists will mean anything. I will tell you that the only people who will be in front of me are the ones who were there when I arrived, stayed all day, and are still there when the doors open (1 buddy, bathroom breaks, etc are ok). I don't plan to physically try and stop anyone, but I will not give in easily and I hope the others in line will take the same stance. Relax...and just focus on how great the shows will be!
    Not going to happen that way with list. 30 before gates open bunch of friends will show up and go ahead of you. They will support each other and other apathetic fans ( rightly or not) will just go with it.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269

i. dont care if its legit or not.i believe it is cos i trust the girl post it at facebook...cheating is bad and need to stop..good call if 10c take care this...people need to use common sense
    .btw this thing doesnt chance my plan how i enjoy shows..party at bar till all early entrance gets at venues with no 10c separate section..at venues with seperate 10c section..i get in a few min before show time
    having a blast and tour is epic..no need to.mention .its stockholm...the heaven of blondes..and the line ill join is the Blondes Line!!

wash and nais and ghost for tosay and ill be the happiest man on the planet

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,939
    I had ga tix at Brooklyn 1. I walked in literally ten minutes before the show started and was about eight people from the stage between Ed and stone. I d rather hang out with my friends all day and explore the city. And people fail to realize no matter where they are in ga they have a better spot than 95% of the building. I guess people want to experience what it's like to be in the 1% and will do whatever it takes to get on the rail.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    I've been to 4 shows so far this tour and have not seen anyone complain about the list at the actual shows. Personally I don't go in for GA, I had seats for all of the shows but I did meet many people with numbers on their hands. Even people with the numbers in the 100's who had no shot at the rail seemed relieved they didn't have to spend 12 hours in line. While I don't agree with all aspects of the list, there didn't seem to be any complaints from the 10c fans at the shows I was at- maybe there were I just didn't hear any. I can understand the OP's frustration but if there wasn't a list than those 70 people would have most likely been in that line waiting. It's not like there is a conspiracy here.

Question for the OP: If you were #25 as opposed in the 70's, would you have left if you were allowed to or just stay there the whole time?
  • Options
    ratmandoratmando Outside of Portland, or somewhere like that Posts: 347
    I do get tired as someone who isn't allowed GA, (disability.. try it, lotsa fun), and only gets to have Gimp-assigned seating. I get tired of hearing the same 30 people tell me about their NEWEST tambourine, or ways they've manipulated the band to see THEM rather than the other way around..which is why I go to shows, how's about you? Signs that are waved in front of four or five other faces who now are unable to see the stage.. that's kind of a stupid thing to do to your fellow fan, right? Guys as big as houses ensuring they are at the railings.. while women... those of us under 5'5" for example.... wonder if the show has started, but have to look up at the screens to know for sure. Some of the greatest venues have disability seating in the front row of a railing, above a level so even if someone 6'6" stands and bounces in front of us, we can still see the actual event, and not via someone else's cell phone video.. come on BE at the show... it's a MOMENT in time, not a kodak moment in time. Then there are the seat-vultures.. A show is going on, and someone I've never met will come up to me and say, "Hmm, disabled huh? That sucks, so if security comes by, can you just say I'm with you?" just to ensure they have a better view, which they ;probably would have had they tried getting assigned seating. (I really don't hate people for trying this.. but at least say you'll get me some water or a tshirt or something? I paid for my spot, AND for my secondary spot that allows me to have an assistant if I need one.)

The part that bugs me most is that we do want to go to the events and parties.. have them the day before or the night after...this is where I hear about how so and so was at the front just like the other 1100 times he or she was in the front.. and this time they brought a 3 year old to catch Eddie's attention, or this time they wore all fuschia and an S&M number made of PVC to catch the band's attention.. I even met a woman who said at the Vedder solo shows, (which I paid up to $280 for a single seat to...thanks stub hub, ticket nation, ahem), she and her other barely dressed in clothes pal somehow managed front row seats, without even knowing about tenclub, just by wearing what they did and tipping a ticket office or security or an usher money...like they had at Cheap Trick (appropriate?) or Chris Cornell's show. "Locals Advantage" is what she called it. Meanwhile I sat at another show and watched two security guards muster in at least 20 people who were obviously not fans, but had tipped the guys, and were placed in FRONT of the rail, off to the side of the stage, with friends and family of the band, as if they were supposed to be there, although everyone ELSE in that section had a laminate or a sticker with authorization. (At our friend's concert, he was RIPPING security a new one for doing that because his 5 month pregnant wife was near a woman who had been stalking him for years... really not cool.)

Self entitlement seems to be so prevalent, it's kind of disgusting. You can't even park without someone trying to con you into thinking THEY have the right to be in your spot. (again, disabled parking isn't for someone carrying a keg of beer.) I can't say I've been in tenclub the entire time I've been a fan of the band, and I can't say I own every piece of stuff they've put out for sale, but I've listened and been at shows, and been tattoo'd with lyrics, and I've been just as much of a fan as someone who discovered them ten years later and took out loans to go on tours and be on every single list, and all of that... It's not entitlement to be the most "Deserving" person to be at a show.. it's an HONOR to be at a show and share experiences with people who get what you get, and feel how you feel. The few that make it shite, the few that think they are so incredibly special that they "outrank" someone who has driven from Scotland to Vienna to see a gig, the few that assume that you didn't upkeep your membership therefore you don't really love the band? THOSE people suck ass. I don't even look at them as fans--- I look at them as opportunistic self-centered a-holes who just don't get the music in the first place.

Lists??? for GA???? Okay did ANYONE learn anything from what happened to The Who, or in Rocksilde? Did ANYONE get that people actually may DIE from being trampled over because some nutjob thinks he and his friends in boots and leather actually deserve to be through a door first? WTF? W the effing F? If fans are allowed to work out a list system, then they should be mandated to post those rules at the venue in the very FRONT of the line, and throughout the line process... period, end of discussion, You can't expect a noob to understand YOUR methods of getting into a show if YOU are deciding the plans for it. How self-centered are you that you really think a list written by anyone who isn't designated by the people who put out the tickets should be adhered to, and understood by someone who is newly a fan, or new to even a basic concert GA seating arrangement? First come first serve seems to have worked for decades before lists. Sending texts doesn't help those who adhered to venue rules about no cameras/no recording- therefore for most-- no phones. If it's not a consistency in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, north pole south pole, and parts of New Zealand, Australia, and Guam, how am I supposed to know if I come from someplace else what YOUR methods are?

Okay, gimpy rant done... But I get what the OP means, and I get that others don't agree... if you're so self involved that you're posting on a Pearl Jam forum and bitching about the band... which many have done in this thread... go hang out on the Green Jelly board or wherever you prefer to be. This forum is on a Pearl Jam FAN site, so it's not about YOU.

Kat and Sea must have some opinion on this, please let us know what it is?

Cathe
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,958
    I feel like if I ever had the rail after a few songs I'd want to rotate back. Grab a beer or some food, take a piss, dance, etc. The ability to move around in GA and see the show from different angles to me seems like a big part if the fun.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    Bring back front row mosh pits!!

That'll keep things running decent. If you don't want a boot in your face, you step back.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,030
    PJ_Soul said:

Posted on FB...anyone confirm if this is legit?

Seems pretty fake to me.
    If this is not a fake, then I thank you 10club for listening to your fans!! :)

http://i.imgur.com/yYUcP9g.jpg

Revoking memberships? That might be a little extreme.
    But if this smack down rule does follow through ..

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153

Bring back front row mosh pits!!

That'll keep things running decent. If you don't want a boot in your face, you step back.

You sir/madam, win idiotic internet post of the day.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i'm not calling the letter fake... but reading it, it does not appear to be professionally written. there are formatting inconsistencies that change the look of the letter in places. for example... too many spaces, incorrect use of punctuation, grammatical errors, etc. i could be totally off base, but i do believe that 10c would have a lawyer put something like this into writing for them, so as to look professional. all that, along with the fact that the letter is written without any sort of watermark, or unique facets, that would make it "look" more legitimate. i'm not calling anyone's bluff, those are just some simple thing that stood out to me in looking at that picture. the real basis for the entire argument amongst everyone here, is that the fans can iron this out before 10c really does have to step in, or, even worse, fans get injured. so, if the letter is real, kudos 10c. if the letter is fake, kudos fan for trying to iron this out. please take care of each other jamily.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    edited June 2014
    demetrios said:

PJ_Soul said:

Posted on FB...anyone confirm if this is legit?

Seems pretty fake to me.
    If this is not a fake, then I thank you 10club for listening to your fans!! :)

http://i.imgur.com/yYUcP9g.jpg

Revoking memberships? That might be a little extreme.
    But if this smack down rule does follow through ..

A potential crushing blow to the List peeps and pre-party attendance.
    Post edited by RedMosquito02 on
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    If it is fake, it's just a matter of time before 10C gets wind of it. Wonder if they will comment?

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    THE LIST IS A GREAT SYSTEM (do I have your attention now?)
    IF everyone follows the 'rules', and no one takes advantage of the system
    That's a pretty big IF. Looks good on paper, but doesn't work in practice.

10c's silence on the matter is deafening. And why should they respond? As my physic's teacher used to say "Silence means yes." Either they implicitly approve of the "List". Or they are (hopefully) devising a better system. Either way, they work their asses off for us and we bicker & fight like petulant children. Are we really going to tell them how to do their job? Are we really going to ask them to put in extra man hours, and resources? Because we can't abide by the rules that has been in place since the first caveman (or cavewoman) banged two rocks together?

THIS IS A CALL TO ACTION. If the "Listers" can contact the venues and coordinate with security, then so can we. I've taken the liberty of writing an email below that you can feel free to copy/paste/edit/send as you see fit.

Hello ______,

In October, Pearl Jam will be playing your wonderful arena. Some enterprising fans have taken it upon themselves to create a "List" for General Admission. This system ensures them a spot in the front of the line for GA when the doors open, without actually having to wait in line. As you can imagine, this "List" is systematically abused by a select group of fans. Additionally, it enables fans to go get drunk at the bar, rather than spend money at your lovely venue.

Please know that this "List" is not official. It has not been endorsed by Pearl Jam or their 10Club Fanclub. I ask that you deliver the message to your security team that they are in no way to acknowledge or enforce this "List". I ask that you contact Pearl Jam management for clarification on policy regarding this "List": info@tenclub.net

Sincerely,
    Toodles.

http://www.usbankarena.com/contact
    info@usbankarena.com

http://www.scottradecenter.com/arena-info/contact.html

http://www.bokcenter.com/connect-with-us/contact-us
    info@smgtulsa.com

http://www.pinnaclebankarena.com/contact.html

http://www.fedexforum.com/pages/contact_us/default.aspx

http://www.olympiaentertainment.com/contact-us

http://iwirelesscenter.com/Contact-Us.aspx
    ask@iwirelesscenter.com

http://www.xcelenergycenter.com/guest-services/contact-us

http://www.bmoharrisbradleycenter.com/guest-services/contact-us
    ContactUs@bcsec.com

https://www.ksetix.com/pepsicenter/guestrelations/

Godspeed.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    The letter is 100% real. I saw it firsthand in Amsterdam. The 10c member I bought my ticket from had it with him and showed me. The whole notion of this list is complete bullshit and I just hope when PJ come back to my area, people have the balls to speak up to anyone trying to cut in line. Although I've never seen it here.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    :(( did the crazy 2013 USA tour blonde bitch find her way to Europe????
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    Wma31394 said:

:(( did the crazy 2013 USA tour blonde bitch find her way to Europe????

Here lies another problem. Some of the female fan realize that more then likely no one will say anything to them. They come up flirt for awhile and..... bang they officially cut in line. Won't happen here.

• Options
    KC2917 said:

The letter is 100% real. I saw it firsthand in Amsterdam. The 10c member I bought my ticket from had it with him and showed me. The whole notion of this list is complete bullshit and I just hope when PJ come back to my area, people have the balls to speak up to anyone trying to cut in line. Although I've never seen it here.

clearly there is a letter there, and it looks 100% real. i'm not trying to be an ass... but what makes you believe that the letter is 100% from 10c?

i'm not doing any shows GA, so I don't have a proverbial dog in this fight. maybe the letter really is from 10c. who else on the boards got this letter?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    Worse than a soap opera ....but I can't stop reading. b-(
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,499
    Revoking memberships is absolutely fair if the situation calls for it.

The letter basically says "screw your list and go to the back" but 10C needs to not only show their seriousness but protect themselves.

A fight is bound to break out and I think that's the type of situation that would lead to a membership being revoked.

Personally I can't believe anyone would justify this "system" as fair. Wait or don't.

I do like the Bruce system though. That would probably be the most fair way and also allow everyone to enjoy the pre show atmosphere.