Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2014
    We have 3 GA shows this fall its our first time in GA, my girlfriend is hellbent on getting rail we are short so that is one reason but either way its not like we have had it before or some elitists fans, she plans on waiting on line as soon as she wake up the day of, i will be joining her later on in the day as i cant wait out there too long due to health issues

i think the list can have positives but people leaving for hours and abusing it is the issue but i think we dont need a list to make sure people get bathroom breaks and food breaks i think we are all for the most part caring and normal people so should be able to make friends within those hours take the breaks you need etc.

i would have no problem with someones plus 1 showing up like im going to be doing but anything more is abusing the situation
    Post edited by iamloco724 on
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,351
    I've never bothered to get in line hours before a show, I'm not certainly not the type to start a physical fight with another person, but the stories of people actually letting others jump the line in front of them because of some BS list is unbelievable. The 'list makers' need to grow up. Unfortunately, this practice will likely lead to physical altercations in the future ..... hopefully, I am nowhere near such an event. Enjoy the music and shows everyone.
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    3 GA shows?

Good god this lottery system sucks
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    BCBA said:

3 GA shows?

Good god this lottery system sucks

Me and my girlfriend both have accounts before the lottery started, i got moline on my first pick and lincoln on my 3rd, my girlfriend got st paul as her first pick

so its a mix of what we picked and each of us having an account

last fall we didnt win any of our first pick ga's for our hometown shows in brooklyn i won reserved seating for philly 1 on my 3rd pick
    Post edited by iamloco724 on
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    0 for 12 lifetime and that included Moline and St paul... :(
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,861
    BCBA said:

0 for 12 lifetime and that included Moline and St paul... :(

ouch! Though I know others in the same boat. I decided to not even try for 10club tix this time around. I went the ticketmaster route, and that worked out fine.

You still looking for tix to any shows?

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,221
    edited June 2014

We have 3 GA shows this fall its our first time in GA, my girlfriend is hellbent on getting rail we are short so that is one reason but either way its not like we have had it before or some elitists fans, she plans on waiting on line as soon as she wake up the day of, i will be joining her later on in the day as i cant wait out there too long due to health issues

i think the list can have positives but people leaving for hours and abusing it is the issue but i think we dont need a list to make sure people get bathroom breaks and food breaks i think we are all for the most part caring and normal people so should be bale to make friends within those hours take the breaks you need etc.

i would have no problem with someones plus 1 showing up like im going to be doing but anything more is abusing the situation

People that know how lines work understand that people need to eat and go to the bathroom and have to get up an walk around the block or something to stretch their legs and sometimes people go to gigs by themselves and that there is no problem with a Plus One.
    It is the Plus 20 that people have problems with. And in most cases, people don't do that shit. There are people that do that.
    Antecdotal story:
    My friend got a pair of Soundgarden tickets at the L.A. forum a couple of years ago. We got there early at the Fan Club Early Entrance line. We were about 20ish or so... hung out all day.
    Before the doors opened, the people in the front let a ton of people in. These people weren't there and this was the first we saw of them. We were now closer to being 100ish.
    When the doors opened the line sort of spread out because there were 4 or 5 doors. The line cutter went to the closest door... I said, 'Keep going' towards the furthest door. The scanner for the people at the front of the line was failing to scan the tickets. We got right in.
    Also, we were told we needed additional wrist bands for access to the floor so we went to the table to get our wrist bands. We got to the floor and got a spot on the rail, right in front of Ben... right where we wanted to be... because, we love Ben.
    What happened to the line cutters was they were so freaked out about not getting their tickets scanned.. when they got into the venue, they blew past the wrist band table. When they reached the floor, they were told they could not get down there without a writband. So, they had to go back up to the lobby and wait in line to get their wirst bands.
    Moral of the Story: Karma. She's a bitch. I just wish she'd get around more often.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I would like to know who is "enforcing" this line rule. If I don't want to be on a list but I'm the 50th guy in line are these people really going to tell me to go to the end? I would tell them to get F*cked
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    Next time you see a list, mob jump them, and tear it up. if that happens once or twice the list will disappear.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    10c, don't let this get ugly and violent before you step in. The time to get involved is NOW, not after an unfortunate situation has taken place.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 509
    boyo79 said:

Some dude was giving me aggro last night cos I was near the front but didn't have a number and he did. It's GA, that means you can stand where you like. I didn't push my way through at all. This was 2 and a half hours before the band came on. I moved back in the end, though I didn't want too or feel that I should. Anyway turns out this guy bailed from the front 3 songs in last night.

It's a ridiculous made up system and I've never seen it for other bands. These people running the lists are clearly ego-maniacs. And you won't see them in here, cos they are too busy queuing for the next gig....

As I noted in another thread, the lists being used is an exact copy of the fan run system that's been used for Springsteen tours in Europe for years, right down to the check-in times.

• Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330

I would like to know who is "enforcing" this line rule. If I don't want to be on a list but I'm the 50th guy in line are these people really going to tell me to go to the end? I would tell them to get F*cked

Not sure if the comment was in this thread but someone, somewhere, said they were yelled at and basically bullied into putting their name on the list. Someone else said that at one point, everyone was told to step back to make room for numbered people to enter the line. In reality, you could be 50 in line when you get there but an hour before doors open, you will be further back...maybe even 100+.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    The real problem isn't the list. It's that PJ fans are starting to become real jerks to one another. All kinds of yelling and name-calling on this board, on Facebook and also in person now.

I'm someone who will always try to get as close as I can, and the process, while it has always been stressful, was also fun and I made many new friends during the Europe 2012 and USA 2013 tours. We all watched out for each other and battled away line-cutters and spoke up when people were starting to abuse the list.

This tour, seems like it was every man for himself and people only spoke up for their own personal interests and didn't give a flying fuck about other fans they didn't know. Seems like we are forgetting why we are all here in the first place.

The list works if it assumes most people are doing the right thing and stay put, it helps deter the few line-cutters. The list does not work if the majority including those that arrive early and are managing the list think it's perfectly fine to leave and go to the preparty, take a nap, etc.

I'm all for lining up without lists and people staying put, however what's been a real problem this tour is the venues haven't been setting up the barricades for people to enter until very close to the time. So you couldn't really line up and people were all just clustering wherever there was shelter. In this situation, you really need some sort of list. However, there's such distrust in the list (threads like this don't help) that people who arrive later in the day make a generalization that everyone who has a number on their hand is an elitist fan even though a majority have legitimately even waiting all day, walk up to the front of the line and say fuck the list.

I don't have a solution on how to handle GA, I wish we could all just be respectful and "do the right thing" but as we all know, that's simply not human nature. That's why there are rules and laws and enforcers in pretty much every public aspect of our lives. If human beings could be trusted universally, we wouldn't need people to man the tills, we would just be trusted to leave enough cash to cover our purchases.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    No, the problem is the list. No list means pearl jam fans don't have to be jerks to each other. You just get in line. Personally, I don't give a fuck if the list works for Bruce shows. Nobody, with the exception of the 30 fucking people that started the stupid lists, want them. Someone said it above, I'll say it again: TEN CLUB, put something in writing banning these stupid lists before somebody gets hurt.

Paid for by last12exit
  • Options
    melissachunmelissachun Posts: 107
    PJam82 said:

Someone should just make some fliers with basic information about this unsanctioned "list' and how it is just fans manipulating other fans. Hand them out at any point before the show....take one pass it down!

I thought the same thing, and plan to have discussions about the BS list at the shows I attend. It's amazing how easy it can be to convince people you have some authority when you have your act down and carry a clipboard. I'm sure most fans don't realize the listers are not affiliated with the band or venue, so they just go along w it. I'm not confrontational, but I will call someone out on their BS. This is flat-out bullying. It isn't acceptable in schools, and it shouldn't be anywhere else.
  • Options
    backseatLover12backseatLover12 Posts: 2,312
    edited June 2014
    You know what's gonna happen? The older folk will remember The Who in Cincinnati with 7 dead due to trampling of people rushing into GA seating, a free for all when the doors opened. It's the reason why they got rid of GA seating back in the 80s from that one Who show.

It's gonna happen again, if all this pent up nasty energy with rules, lines, whathaveyou, keeps up. And GA will suddenly be gone again (I personally wouldn't mind). I would think 10c would seriously think of doing something about the anger of how GA is handled before doors are opened. But who knows, they may not care… until the inevitable happens, and either it escalades to fighting, trampling, or even worse - someone brings a gun with them…

Better yet, bring back the '90s, where the people up in front were moshing. We all knew if we didn't want to get involved with that and get kicked in the head, you stay back!
    Post edited by backseatLover12 on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    It feels like we are heading towards something ugly.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

PJam82 said:

Someone should just make some fliers with basic information about this unsanctioned "list' and how it is just fans manipulating other fans. Hand them out at any point before the show....take one pass it down!

I thought the same thing, and plan to have discussions about the BS list at the shows I attend. It's amazing how easy it can be to convince people you have some authority when you have your act down and carry a clipboard. I'm sure most fans don't realize the listers are not affiliated with the band or venue, so they just go along w it. I'm not confrontational, but I will call someone out on their BS. This is flat-out bullying. It isn't acceptable in schools, and it shouldn't be anywhere else.
    I agree. I posted way earlier in this thread genuinely asking for some "listers" to chime in and shed some light on it. Others have flat out name called and have suggested violence will change it. There is some bullying now going on in this thread. It's one thing to be pissed and voice it, it's another to get so mad you could punch someone or suggest any kind of aggression could fix it. I'm all for getting it fixed, but calling people out by their actual name and saying you will take pictures and harrass people is a little extreme and in itself harassing others. Continue to voice your displeasure people, maybe channel it a little bit and lobby ten club via email and what not. Creating a frenzy and getting people all riled up is the type of thing that causes situations to escalate. Cooler heads usually prevail. Some of the things on here that have been suggested to look out for each other, are only looking out for part if us. In a way, you are dividing people which this shouldn't be about, and yes I said at the very beginning the op should have wiped his ass with the list. It was half hearted and I would not suggest anyone actually do this. :)) I think the list is BS, but I also think we can be better to each other. I will step off my soapbox now.
  • Options
    The line and list

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Maybe, maybe not. It really seems like the listers are a small group vs the rest of us. If they're smart, they'll accept the free ride is over and give up their lists and sharpies. I'm curious - does anyone know of an instance where it got ugly? For as long as it sounds like it's been going on, I'm surprised there haven't already been altercations.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    edited June 2014
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    SO37031 said:

I have been to about five hundred live shows of various artists through the years.
    I have always thought the people on the rails didn't quite get it.
    There was never anything better than a mosh pit.
    I am forty now and I miss the mosh pit. I just imagine those five rows back in ga at a pearl jam concert would be the mosh pit. Love each other.

Haha, maybe that is what this crowd needs to release some frustration! A mosh pit!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    SO37031 said:

I have been to about five hundred live shows of various artists through the years.
    I have always thought the people on the rails didn't quite get it.
    There was never anything better than the mosh pit.
    I am forty now and I miss the mosh pit. I just imagine those five rows back in ga at a pearl jam concert would be the mosh pit. Love each other.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited June 2014

JimmyV said:

Maybe, maybe not. It really seems like the listers are a small group vs the rest of us. If they're smart, they'll accept the free ride is over and give up their lists and sharpies. I'm curious - does anyone know of an instance where it got ugly? For as long as it sounds like it's been going on, I'm surprised there haven't already been altercations.
    I don't think it's ever got ugly, as in violence, and I really don't see it going that way.

But seriously, if 10c even simply had a big sign set up stating that there is no list allowed and that people can't leave the line for longer than 20 minutes or something it probably wouldn't happen. Really, fixing this would be so simple for 10C. No, I don't see it as their responsibility. I'm just saying they could help with little effort if they felt like going that way.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Oh I'm so confused!! I totally agree that it's not fair to place your name on a list, write a number on your hand and go off to the pre party, hotel, nap or whatever expecting to rejoin your place in line hours later and likely cutting in front of others who have waited it out all those hours. I definitely don't want any part in that. However, I have GA tix for 2 shows this fall. These are the first GA tix I've ever had to pj shows. I'm really hoping to get as close as possible. I don't drink and am not comfortable in a bar scene so won't be attending the pre party anyway unless it's in a more restaurant like atmosphere (nothing against those who do choose to drink, it's just not my thing anymore). My shows are in Tulsa and Lincoln so I'm not too worried about missing the action or the hot tourist attractions of the city. Plus, I'm only there for pj anyway. I plan to stand in line as soon as I get there to get as close as I can. If I don't put my name on the list I risk having a large group of people cut in front of me last minute. If I do, I'm caving to an unjust system and by default supporting it's existence. I'm sure I'm over thinking this but that's inevitable after reading this entire thread. What to do?
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

Oh I'm so confused!! ... I'm sure I'm over thinking this but that's inevitable after reading this entire thread. What to do?

This will be my first GA experience, too, and my anxiety over the stupid lists is what brought me to the forum. I actually feel better, because even though it pisses me off, I know I'm not alone. The bottom line is that the list is only valid if those who waited in line all day allow it to be valid. From the posts in this thread and a few others, it seems unlikely that the lists will mean anything. I will tell you that the only people who will be in front of me are the ones who were there when I arrived, stayed all day, and are still there when the doors open (1 buddy, bathroom breaks, etc are ok). I don't plan to physically try and stop anyone, but I will not give in easily and I hope the others in line will take the same stance. Relax...and just focus on how great the shows will be!
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    To the weasley little beady eyed fuck in the blue hat running "the list" at Amsterdam 1...

I'm the guy who questioned you and your dumb fucking list before the show. You seriously need to take a step back and question exactly who the fuck you think you are, and what gives you the right to tell people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what to do. People have always lined up for rock shows. That's just the way it goes. If I get there before you, I get in before you, plain and simple. If someone in line needs to take a leak, people get that. This isn't a new concept. Remember when I told you you're sucking the rock and roll right out of rock and roll? That's exactly what you're doing. As a diehard fan of Pearl Jam, I'd like to tell you you're an embarrassment to the rest of us. Did I seriously witness you do a roll call of a group of adults??? Come on. At least there were more people interested in partying at the bar before the show and having a good time then there were people abiding by your dumb made up rules. I don't usually mean to come off so angry, but what I witnessed seriously pissed me off. Adults acting like fucking children. I hope to god the 10c gets involved and puts and end to these Gestapo-type "fans."

That felt good. End of rant.
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 509
    KC2917 said:

To the weasley little beady eyed fuck in the blue hat running "the list" at Amsterdam 1...

I'm the guy who questioned you and your dumb fucking list before the show. You seriously need to take a step back and question exactly who the fuck you think you are, and what gives you the right to tell people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what to do. People have always lined up for rock shows. That's just the way it goes. If I get there before you, I get in before you, plain and simple. If someone in line needs to take a leak, people get that. This isn't a new concept. Remember when I told you you're sucking the rock and roll right out of rock and roll? That's exactly what you're doing. As a diehard fan of Pearl Jam, I'd like to tell you you're an embarrassment to the rest of us. Did I seriously witness you do a roll call of a group of adults??? Come on. At least there were more people interested in partying at the bar before the show and having a good time then there were people abiding by your dumb made up rules. I don't usually mean to come off so angry, but what I witnessed seriously pissed me off. Adults acting like fucking children. I hope to god the 10c gets involved and puts and end to these Gestapo-type "fans."

There have been roll calls at every Springsteen show in Europe for over a decade (except for a couple of shows in Italy on the last tour where a random lottery was used for GA entry). In the Bruce world, the list is run by fans but is honored by the Springsteen org. Reading this thread is hilarious to see such hysteria. The people running the list are doing you a favor because running the list is hard work. Show up, get your number, be there for roll calls, and the day goes smoothly and much more pleasant than standing there.

• Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871
    Luckytwn1 said:

KC2917 said:

There have been roll calls at every Springsteen show in Europe for over a decade (except for a couple of shows in Italy on the last tour where a random lottery was used for GA entry). In the Bruce world, the list is run by fans but is honored by the Springsteen org. Reading this thread is hilarious to see such hysteria. The people running the list are doing you a favor because running the list is hard work. Show up, get your number, be there for roll calls, and the day goes smoothly and much more pleasant than standing there.

Telling me how I should feel about it isn't exactly the greatest response you could've given to my rant about people telling other people what to do. It is, however, comically ironic.
  • Options
    I agree with the person that said maybe just have 10c make sure a sign was posted outside the front of the line saying there is no list all list are banned that would get rid of it right there