Options

This has to stop

Comments

• Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    Luckytwn1 said:

KC2917 said:

To the weasley little beady eyed fuck in the blue hat running "the list" at Amsterdam 1...

I'm the guy who questioned you and your dumb fucking list before the show. You seriously need to take a step back and question exactly who the fuck you think you are, and what gives you the right to tell people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what to do. People have always lined up for rock shows. That's just the way it goes. If I get there before you, I get in before you, plain and simple. If someone in line needs to take a leak, people get that. This isn't a new concept. Remember when I told you you're sucking the rock and roll right out of rock and roll? That's exactly what you're doing. As a diehard fan of Pearl Jam, I'd like to tell you you're an embarrassment to the rest of us. Did I seriously witness you do a roll call of a group of adults??? Come on. At least there were more people interested in partying at the bar before the show and having a good time then there were people abiding by your dumb made up rules. I don't usually mean to come off so angry, but what I witnessed seriously pissed me off. Adults acting like fucking children. I hope to god the 10c gets involved and puts and end to these Gestapo-type "fans."

That felt good. End of rant.

There have been roll calls at every Springsteen show in Europe for over a decade (except for a couple of shows in Italy on the last tour where a random lottery was used for GA entry). In the Bruce world, the list is run by fans but is honored by the Springsteen org. Reading this thread is hilarious to see such hysteria. The people running the list are doing you a favor because running the list is hard work. Show up, get your number, be there for roll calls, and the day goes smoothly and much more pleasant than standing there.

I hope you aren't being serious with that line that they are doing people a favor
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,208
    Luckytwn1 said:

KC2917 said:

To the weasley little beady eyed fuck in the blue hat running "the list" at Amsterdam 1...

I'm the guy who questioned you and your dumb fucking list before the show. You seriously need to take a step back and question exactly who the fuck you think you are, and what gives you the right to tell people YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW what to do. People have always lined up for rock shows. That's just the way it goes. If I get there before you, I get in before you, plain and simple. If someone in line needs to take a leak, people get that. This isn't a new concept. Remember when I told you you're sucking the rock and roll right out of rock and roll? That's exactly what you're doing. As a diehard fan of Pearl Jam, I'd like to tell you you're an embarrassment to the rest of us. Did I seriously witness you do a roll call of a group of adults??? Come on. At least there were more people interested in partying at the bar before the show and having a good time then there were people abiding by your dumb made up rules. I don't usually mean to come off so angry, but what I witnessed seriously pissed me off. Adults acting like fucking children. I hope to god the 10c gets involved and puts and end to these Gestapo-type "fans."

There have been roll calls at every Springsteen show in Europe for over a decade (except for a couple of shows in Italy on the last tour where a random lottery was used for GA entry). In the Bruce world, the list is run by fans but is honored by the Springsteen org. Reading this thread is hilarious to see such hysteria. The people running the list are doing you a favor because running the list is hard work. Show up, get your number, be there for roll calls, and the day goes smoothly and much more pleasant than standing there.

I don't understand your point though, just cus it goes on at Bruce shows means we should approve of it?
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

just cus it goes on at Bruce shows means we should approve of it?

well, he IS the boss...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 504
    RiotZact said:

Luckytwn1 said:

KC2917 said:

I don't understand your point though, just cus it goes on at Bruce shows means we should approve of it?
    My point is that it has been used by fans at hundreds of shows for one of the largest touring acts on the planet and has worked extremely well. Clearly, since there is a lot of overlap between the fan bases, whoever started with the lists basically adopted the system that has been used successfully many times before. It's not some kind of big conspiracy. If the 10C wants to outlaw the list, they are free to do so.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    edited June 2014
    People commenting on things they haven't observed on third and fourth hand information. That's hardly conducive to making a good solid informed opinion. In fact the majority of this thread is the same people making wild assumptions and making the same stale comments.

I haven't organized a list nor would I wish to. It's a thankless task. But contrary to the nonsense and judgemental posts above the chap who organized the list in Berlin seemed a good guy. Led by example unlike others who have done the list. He didn't disappear to sleep in a comfy bed, I didn't observe him giving any friends special attention as he was largely on his own most of the day trying to keep things honest and genuine and observing the line.

Now I don't know the dude - I might have said three words to him all day but the comments above which were broad brushed and applied to all who run these things appear widely inaccurate and posted by folks reacting to Facebook stories on the other side of the atlantic or a disgruntled few ... (But most commonly folk who weren't at the show ) are off target. I believe the guy stayed in line from starting - and tried at all times to keep things in fair order. Why would he do that when he is number one ? Anyone considered that he gives a shit about others ? Are people really that self obsessed that they cannot understand a guy taking time out to ensure others around him get a fair deal? The look after number one mentality really shines through

My only disclaimer is this observation only applies to Berlin and this one gentleman .... Things may have been different elsewhere. Once again I haven't even a clue what his name is in case someone wants to suggest a conspiracy and believe I simply have his back

One question - why would anyone who got there 50th object to taking a number if they are intending to stick around ? Why would anyone want to be that difficult ?

Take the number and take your spot ... If its to come back here and say you stood up to something that is in place to try and offer a little order and get some back pats, that's a little lame.

The list can work but some are determined to be confrontational at this point and that's not cool. Even people who arrive early and refuse to participate ? Why when you can take part observe the line and help fellow fans keep order? You'd think human beings would want a nice spirit and a little community down there.

So much bullshit about conspiracies and shams, so many opinions that only 30 people want it. In Milan and Berlin it was a handful of people who didn't want it. Those arriving late. Not many. The majority were quick to seek the list and add their name. But of course people are claiming otherwise here - the people who just weren't there

I saw the other thread that a guy wants to go to Leeds - find the list and post it before pissing on it. Good old aggression saves the day. The sad part wasnt that post ...if was the 30-40 coming in behind him with the +1, post of the year and back slapping .
    Interestingly again those who haven't attended yet but will do in Leeds and have made up their minds third hand that they will act on the stories they hear and screw any attempt to have civility and order.

If a line is abused - fine - then act - but to attend with that preconceived idea of getting angry with a list rather than trying it out absolutely sucks.

Use your own eyes people and you never know you might just be able go form your own opinion
    Post edited by pdalowsky on
  • Options
    Oh and the suggestions of their being a blow up and violence are way off mark. I've only done two shows ... And whilst people have disagreed at times they have done so very maturely. Spoke to each other and remained calm at all times. Aggression hasn't been remotely close at any time.

That is a major over reaction to third hand Internet information and observations. People at these shows tend to be good people and adults. Fighting isn't close to the agenda. So please knock that on the head. There is a little sentiment coming through in posts about 'when I go to my show people better get ready because no one fucks with me'. ... Lets not forget that is mostly a reaction to something they have read about and haven't yet seen .... I dare say its easy to post on the Internet such things. But when they arrive early to take a spot and observe the line and their position I very much doubt that that fire within will continue to burn.

But till then this is a symptom of negativity breeding difficulty.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    I find it curious that the Wishlist has been mentioned more than a number of times here yet no one has come to comment on whether they are or are not involved...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    10C should issue ticket priority by zip code. You live within a 50-mile radius of Philadelphia and are a 10C Member, you get priority...lol
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    pdalowsky said:

Oh and the suggestions of their being a blow up and violence are way off mark. I've only done two shows ... And whilst people have disagreed at times they have done so very maturely. Spoke to each other and remained calm at all times. Aggression hasn't been remotely close at any time.

That is a major over reaction to third hand Internet information and observations. People at these shows tend to be good people and adults. Fighting isn't close to the agenda. So please knock that on the head. There is a little sentiment coming through in posts about 'when I go to my show people better get ready because no one fucks with me'. ... Lets not forget that is mostly a reaction to something they have read about and haven't yet seen .... I dare say its easy to post on the Internet such things. But when they arrive early to take a spot and observe the line and their position I very much doubt that that fire within will continue to burn.

Sorry buddy, but NO list means NO issue. Without this corny ass list, none of us would be having this discussion. I'm not calling you out and not trying to get confrontational with you Pdalowsky, it's that we're having a problem with people abusing it and so hense we should just end the practice. People want rail, like EVERYONE else has ALREADY said, get in line and put in your time.

I was at Amsterdam both nites. When I got there, there was probably 20-25 people there. While I was waiting in line for my tix, I saw groups of people coming in and basically cutting people in line. Ironic that they all showed up around the same time as if they were all somewhere and left that place together.

No list, no problem. Simple as that.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    edited June 2014
    pdalowsky said:

One question - why would anyone who got there 50th object to taking a number if they are intending to stick around ? Why would anyone want to be that difficult ?

Take the number and take your spot ... If its to come back here and say you stood up to something that is in place to try and offer a little order and get some back pats, that's a little lame.

We took numbers when we arrived at the Stadthalle, about 60ish people were on the list but not present. Come the midnight "roll call" about 40ish additional people turned up for 10 mins then left again straight away being told they only had to come back at 6am. Even though it definitely didn't look like all of the people from the list were there, as far as I could see, no-one got crossed off the list anyway.

I voiced my issues, saying it went against what was in the 10c email, didn't shout or get aggressive (although I may have said it was BS that so many people weren't actually there ;) ). I didn't appear to get any support. Looking back, I don't blame them for that. They were doing it right and it can be (it was!) difficult to speak up against the majority and say "look, I don't think this is fair" - I do totally understand that.

At that point we decided we had 3 choices:
    a) queue for a crazy amount of hours only to have 60 people cut in front of us before show time
    b) leave and cross our names off the list
    c) go along with the 'rules' and come back at 6am for a check in

I admit I was angry and felt like we'd been screwed. I couldn't in all good conscience go with option c, so we opted to make a stand and go for b.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to come here and post what happened and how I felt, perhaps I should have slept on I first.

As I've said before, we have often lined up early and had our names on lists, but for previous tours it's always been that the people on the list have actually sat and waited. If that's the case I'm all good with the list/numbers as it helps when queues are moved/barriers set up etc. of course there are always a few people who try their luck and disappear for long periods of time. However, the vast, vast majority have always been great people who did actually stay outside the venue.

In Vienna that definitely wasn't the case, there were around 15ish people who were doing it right (good on you!) despite these made up rules about having 3-6 hour breaks during the previous day and night. Based on my personal experience of that day, there were a lot of people who weren't following 10c's etiquette!

I don't want pats on the back, for people to be violent or aggressive. I just want it to be fair for all and for queuing to actually mean waiting outside the venue until show-time (minus bathroom/take out food breaks etc.). By all means keep the lists as long as the 10c etiquette 'rules' are adhered to. Is that too much to ask?

I am an idealist at the end of the day! :)
    Post edited by strummers on
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    JV130312 said:

I find it curious that the Wishlist has been mentioned more than a number of times here yet no one has come to comment on whether they are or are not involved...

I have said, and will say again, the Wishlist aren't involved - there wasn't even any Wishlist party in Vienna!!

Just because fans in the States (and one in Amsterdam) go to Wishlist pre-parties it doesn't mean the Wishlist themselves are involved!! That's just crazy crazy conjecture!

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We can all have a great day, just play fair! I've met some amazing people in queues before (yes, even with lists!) who are now good friends. It can be a very positive experience!

Let's leave it on that note as I think the discussion aspect has ran its course.

Follow the 10c etiquette, be fair, be happy, have fun and get to know your queue neighbours! :)
    Post edited by strummers on

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I suppose the big question is......what did everyone do before the 'list' started getting used 2 years ago? Oh that's right, they queued like everyone else.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    strummers said:

We can all have a great day, just play fair! I've met some amazing people in queues before (yes, even with lists!) who are now good friends. It can be a very positive experience!

Let's leave it on that note as I think the discussion aspect has ran its course.

Follow the 10c etiquette, be fair, be happy, have fun and get to know your queue neighbours! :)

Lol. How can you say to just play fair when 40-60 people just show up and cut in line because they are on some imaginary list?!? What's positive about that for the few hundreds that stand in line for hours only to have some people show up (together mind you - who knows what party they came from...together) and cut in line?!? Not fair, not happy and definitely not positive for those people who put in their time...which the group of 40-60 DID NOT.

BTW - just because their isn't an "official Wishlist party" doesn't mean those party goers don't follow Pearl Jam on tour...just saying...

Not saying it is or isn't that "group," but it's a bit curious.
  • Options

LMAO
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    edited June 2014

Hahaha, gross! :P

.... Just happened to find the audience boot of Release as the opener from the Wrigley show in my downloads folder on my phone. Fucking best version of Release ever IMO and I got to see it live - literally makes me cry every time I hear it. I was at least 500 feet from the stage, and it was the best concert moment of my life.

This list bullshit is bullshit in every way possible.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    strummers said:

You are absolutely right Theresa. Those who go off overnight really suck and their rules allowing that are shite.

But the list is as you and Su May point out when correctly used is very useful when the queue area isn't organized and people gather out of the rain and under a cover. Or when people are moved from a to b when the organization comes later in the day.

The frustrating part is that most comments are from people who haven't done the queuing this year

Think most people have the etiquette and decency required. Sadly those who draw a number on the night before and go and sleep - I heard this was the case in Vienna - are ruining the perception entirely. It's a small few who need to look at themselves.

To think tenc need to come and police a group of grown ups to avoid fights is crazy.

If people leave the queue for more than 20 minutes even overnight if they are stupid enough to sleep on the pavement, should really move to the back. Other than that the list is functioning great.

• Options
    JV130312 said:

strummers said:

Lol. How can you say to just play fair when 40-60 people just show up and cut in line because they are on some imaginary list?!? What's positive about that for the few hundreds that stand in line for hours only to have some people show up (together mind you - who knows what party they came from...together) and cut in line?!? Not fair, not happy and definitely not positive for those people who put in their time...which the group of 40-60 DID NOT.
    You misunderstand, you're dead right - that's not fair. That's why I'm saying 'to play fair' (as the 10c asked), then it can be (and has been in the past) a positive experience. I didn't say what has happened is fair. There's a difference.

Also, last time. Just because people who may (or may not) cut corners and take advantages of 'systems' go to pre -parties hosted under the umbrella of Wishlist does not mean the Wishlist themselves are somehow involved with fiddling a queue for the gig.

That's like saying "isn't it strange that a load of the queue jumpers are staying at 'x' hotel, therefore I think the hotel may be involved in screwing the fans". Please don't tarnish the Wishlist Foundation in that way. It's a bit of a wild leap.

Right, definitely done.

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I don't have to have been in a line this year to know that a list goes against the spirit of GA. I can't fathom why anyone would defend a list. If you can't wait then you should be further back.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,985
    The selfish they're NOT standing in line....

I'm not the type to stand in the queue all day so not sure if this would work practically. But why not have a check in/out system where you're allowed a 30 minute break every 3 hours you've stood in line. More complicated sure, but otherwise if people can't play fairly then it may have to be scrapped. The hype behind this now means people will get more and more pissed off and I don't blame them!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    badbrains said:

pdalowsky said:

Sorry buddy, but NO list means NO issue. Without this corny ass list, none of us would be having this discussion. I'm not calling you out and not trying to get confrontational with you Pdalowsky, it's that we're having a problem with people abusing it and so hense we should just end the practice. People want rail, like EVERYONE else has ALREADY said, get in line and put in your time.

I was at Amsterdam both nites. When I got there, there was probably 20-25 people there. While I was waiting in line for my tix, I saw groups of people coming in and basically cutting people in line. Ironic that they all showed up around the same time as if they were all somewhere and left that place together.

No list, no problem. Simple as that.

No problem at all, it's cool to voice your personal experience - completely. I heard the ticket office was a nightmare in Amsterdam - I can't imagine how without numbers that would have worked out

I appreciate the system isn't perfect because people leave for extended periods but the same thing happened in 2007 with people joining the lines at wembley. Arguments went off and people got pissed. There was no list - but there were issues. People will always be people

Come Leeds Ill queue the proper way ...but ill get a number - I don't understand why people wouldn't want to get one if they are there to say get number 40 or 50. Take the number and sit down. The most people in front of you on that basis will be 39 or 49 whether they are there in person or not. That's the rail. It just baffles me.

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Posted on FB...anyone confirm if this is legit?

And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661

Posted on FB...anyone confirm if this is legit?

Seems pretty fake to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

If the list does appear in Cincinnati, it sounds like my GA experience should/could be entertaining...interesting...a learning experience, perhaps. ~X(

We'll be enjoying that entertaining...interesting... learning experience right with you.

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    strummers said:

PJ_Soul said:

If the list does appear in Cincinnati, it sounds like my GA experience should/could be entertaining...interesting...a learning experience, perhaps. ~X(

Only if you are set on getting the rail. To me, that really doesn't seem worth it if you can be only 3 or 4 feet further back without dealing with that bullshit. The view is just as good and you're not stuck with the list losers on the rail for the whole show!
    Not if you're 5'2"!! ;)
    Or a little less than that.

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Apparently these were handed out to people in line by "PJ Security" Others are posting pics.
    Who knows.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,941
    Sounds pretty legit to me
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......