10c / Pearl Jam should be ashamed for not being honest about Petty shows

Comments

• DP13DP13 Posts: 276
    the price has nothing to do with it, people who purchased tickets chose to pay how much they paid, no matter if it was a cool grand or five bucks. This argument is poor.

the fact that a "set" also equals 17 songs is also inaccurate. Plenty of bands play 10 or 12 song sets.

what was wrong was the use of the word "full".

70 minutes, Pearl Jam and Full have nothing in common.

---

in other news people have asked why PJ would do these shows???... well it MAY be because they want to tip their caps to TPATH OR it is because these shows are pretty solid moneymakers in what are less populated areas. The venue rent is cut in half, the ticket price was almost doubled, two nights in the same town = big transportation savings. PJ would have struggled selling out two weeknight shows in St Paul witout Petty (and likewise).

PJ has never had a big name opening band on the road with them to help sell tickets which is pretty standard for arena rock acts/jam bands. I always take this into account when looking at summer tour statistics. U2, DMB etc always have household name acts with them.
  • drollydrolly Posts: 41
    a8l wrote:

in other news people have asked why PJ would do these shows???... well it MAY be because they want to tip their caps to TPATH OR it is because these shows are pretty solid moneymakers in what are less populated areas. The venue rent is cut in half, the ticket price was almost doubled, two nights in the same town = big transportation savings. PJ would have struggled selling out two weeknight shows in St Paul witout Petty (and likewise).

Not that I want to get away from the topic of this post one bit because I'm still plenty steamed, but I disagree with part of this. First of all, the XCel Energy Center isn't exactly a huge venue (holds between 16-18,000), so selling it out really wouldn't be that difficult. I believe it was a sellout or very near it for the last show there in '03, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't this time around (especially consider this album is much more of a commercial success). The band has been playing a LOT of back to backs on this tour, they didn't need Petty as an excuse, so there goes that as well.

But, having said that, I'm sure the aforementioned financial rewards did play a role in the process (even though they don't seem to make sense to me) and most of us are left here feeling duped for a huge moneymaker.
    I always finish what I sta
  • dolly rockerdolly rocker Posts: 352
    Im sick of this constant whining,, who gives a fuck, If ten club didnt exist youd be going to stub hub and paying 200 for a ticket in the 200's, 17 songs is alot more than most of these poser fucks play in a headlining set. relax everybody vegas is coming soon..
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    All I can say is live and learn......we can't change the past, so, next time, if PJ is playing with another headliner, make your decision whether or not to go based on an 80 minute set....who cares if they call it a co-headlining gig, or an opening act gig......substance over form makes sense!

I saw a headlining band last night - Be Your Own Pet - and they played for just about 30 minutes...great energy!

Most deal memos (agreements between band & promoter) state that a legal headlining set is 75 minutes, but every band plays different lengths.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    a8l wrote:
    the price has nothing to do with it, people who purchased tickets chose to pay how much they paid, no matter if it was a cool grand or five bucks. This argument is poor.

the fact that a "set" also equals 17 songs is also inaccurate. Plenty of bands play 10 or 12 song sets.

---

PJ has never had a big name opening band on the road with them to help sell tickets which is pretty standard for arena rock acts/jam bands. I always take this into account when looking at summer tour statistics. U2, DMB etc always have household name acts with them.

The bands don't directly pay the rent on the venue...the promoter absorbs all of the costs, and guarantees the bands a fee based on the promoter's estimate of how much they will gross on ticket sales.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    It appears the set in St. Paul tonight was 17-18 songs and about 1 hour 20 minutes...I was hoping for 1 hr 45 min, could jam 6-7 more

hehe, you're funny

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • I am going to the 1st night of Denver and I plan to have a good time. Money won't make a difference once you hear the first notes of the opener.
    I am going to the 1st night of Denver and I plan to have a good time. Money won't make a difference once you hear the first notes of the opener.

Ha, it does when you hear the last notes of the closer.... ;)
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    pjl44 wrote:
    Here we go...

I think it's pretty obvious they'll play a shorter set when they're "co-headlining" rather than "headlining." I certainly can't speak for each individual person, but I think this is pretty much what most people expected. That said, I certainly feel for those who aren't Petty fans and these are the closest shows on this tour.
    if it was coheadling, the last band to play would switch every night, this is not happening, way to go 10c
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The bands don't directly pay the rent on the venue...the promoter absorbs all of the costs, and guarantees the bands a fee based on the promoter's estimate of how much they will gross on ticket sales.

exactly, and if the venue rent is half then they get paid more, but I am not taking this down this road, PJ obviously has never ever made an attempt to maximize their profits.
    inmyrvm wrote:
    if it was coheadling, the last band to play would switch every night, this is not happening, way to go 10c

Another good point. Not sure this is the 10c's fault though, they most likely just report the news.
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    its false advertising cause people are idiots and dont udnerstand what a set is in music. its exactly what pj has done both nights. 17 songs. Check all their other shows, the first set is about 17 songs. Then 2-3 ENCORES. they told you what you were getting, maybe 10c should just cater to the idiots?

:)

well the 10c release says BOTH bands will play full sets, so a Tom Petty full set includes an encore and Pearl Jam does not? Pointing out what the 10c email says is pointless as Petty is doing encores and what would make someone think that Pearl Jam would not do the same in a Co-headlining role (Summerfest only?)

My questions that no one has yet to answer:

1. Did the 10c have tix for when PJ opened for the Stones? If not one would conclude it would be an opening act role, when 10c offers tickets to Pearl Jam concerts I assume it's a full show or they would not even be able to get tickets for their fans

2. For all the geniouses who KNOW what a full set is, what is the difference between "special night" and "co-headlining" you are all so smart and Im an idiot pleaes tell me!

regardless, no this is not 10c's fault, it's no one's fault, it is what it is. Do any of you ever get upset about somethign and have to vent? Come on, this is a message pit afterall, thus you've been heard and I've been heard... now let's get ready to kick some ass at Summerfest, it's been a long 11 year wait!
    well the 10c release says BOTH bands will play full sets, so a Tom Petty full set includes an encore and Pearl Jam does not? Pointing out what the 10c email says is pointless as Petty is doing encores and what would make someone think that Pearl Jam would not do the same in a Co-headlining role (Summerfest only?)

My questions that no one has yet to answer:

1. Did the 10c have tix for when PJ opened for the Stones? If not one would conclude it would be an opening act role, when 10c offers tickets to Pearl Jam concerts I assume it's a full show or they would not even be able to get tickets for their fans

2. For all the geniouses who KNOW what a full set is, what is the difference between "special night" and "co-headlining" you are all so smart and Im an idiot pleaes tell me!

regardless, no this is not 10c's fault, it's no one's fault, it is what it is. Do any of you ever get upset about somethign and have to vent? Come on, this is a message pit afterall, thus you've been heard and I've been heard... now let's get ready to kick some ass at Summerfest, it's been a long 11 year wait!

Excellent post and great points.
    1. I don't know if 10c sold tix for the Rolling Stones show, but I KNOW PJ was advertised as an opening act (and only an opening act) on the 10c website for the RS show, whether there were tickets sold or not.

But you're right, I doubt there was some conspiracy to get our money and it is probably no one's "fault", but a simple "sorry for the confusion" from SOMEBODY would be fantastic. Other than that, yes, this is just someplace to go and vent.
  • hsewifhsewif Posts: 444
    This thread is sooo......Tuesday.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,088
    hsewif wrote:
    This thread is sooo......Tuesday.

hahaha! Not only that, but I couldn't care less if PJ played for 80min. or 10. I enjoyed what I saw and heard to the fullest. :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • a8l wrote:

How is the arguement poor? I am comparing what your dollar is getting you. If people knew that they were only getting this much of that band and this much of this band, they may have passed on the show altogether because of cost. At least that is what has been complained about in this thread. What I was speaking about is this shows hourly cost vs. others out there and how much this is still a deal even if PJ is only playing a full set (which 17 songs is) vs a full show (what they normally play).

Everyone can complain all they want, but I understood what CO-HEADLINING is when I went in. How many songs did PJ play night 1, 17. How many songs did Petty play night 1, 17. Sounds pretty fair to me. Sorry if you expected more.

I'm sure the south expected more this tour as well. Me, I'll take what I can get.

I'll also say it again: You just never know when all you will have to rely on is the past with no chance of a future, ie. no more albums, no more tour or no more band.

Thanks PJ/10C/Petty for the opportunity to see two icon bands at one show. I appreciate it and will remain positive!
    192xxx
    6/26+27/98, 10/8/00 (IB), 6/21/03, 9/3+4/11 (PJ20) - East Troy
    6/29/98, 10/9/00, 6/18/03, 5/16+17/06, 8/23+24/09, 8/20+22/16, 8/18+20/18, 8/29+31/24 - Chicago
    6/6/03 - Las Vegas
    10/5/04, 9/18/22 - St. Louis
    6/29/06, 10/20/14 - Milwaukee
    11/19/13 - Phoenix
    4/26/16 - Lexington

• LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
    this whole fucking thread and piont is moot. Null and void. the domino noid says "no good"

the reason? people here bitch when they only get 24 songs, or 25 songs, or 27 songs, or no third encore. people just bitch and are never satisifed when it comes to a pearl jam show. they are unsatisifed if they dont get rarities. They are not satisfied if ed doesnt acknowledge them.

So its fine. everyone just calm down. you had your face rocked, in two week syoull have made your 30 bucks back and paid less for the show. so just dont worry about it.
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
    good. I win. Kat, lock er up.
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    Pearl Jam/10 Club do ALOT of great things for us the fans.

First of all they did play 17 songs for us in St. Paul and thats about average for the opening set in previous concerts. Yeah they didnt get to do an encore but I think that 17 songs stood on their own.

Pearl Jam does a standard of two encores, who does that on a regular basis honestly? God forbid the day that they only do one encore certian people will be up in arms right?

We get the oppertunity to get great seats for the shows, we get great singles during Christmas, concert bootlegs (who else does this for you honestly), a very well put together newsletter and oppertunities to win prizes.
    All for a measely $20.00, actually not measely because where I am from $20.00 is a good chunk of cash, but this $20.00 is well worth it for me.

I dont think that the 10c and Pearl Jam should be ashamed of the Tom Petty shows, I think that we should be ashamed of being greedy and taking wonderful oppertunities that they present for granted.

After all, I am sure when Pearl Jam comes back to town, they will certinaly show their appreciation to us for our patience and understanding!

Thanks for letting me rant!

(the local radio station is playing a block of Tom Petty live right now! lol)
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • unclebuckunclebuck Posts: 1
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    our seast are watered down with petty fan club members too. So in essence we pay 2X, get 3/4 and sit 2X farther away. What does that equal??? 3 total hours of Pearl Jam for the price of 6.

I expected PJ to play shorter sets....

I agree with the statement above, thats why I did not go to these shows
  • Ten Club should have been upfront about the fact that we get a shorter opening set when we buy pairs of tickets for $200. The fact that bootlegs are 2-for-1 indicates that Basecamp is more upfront that ten Club was for these shows.
    ||Randall's 9-28-96|Shoreline 10-20-96|Oakland 11-19-97|LA 3-29-98|Sacto 7-16-98|Portland 7-18-98|Vancouver 7-19-98|Seattle 7-21&22-98|MSG 9-11-98|Jones Beach 8-24-00|Camden 9-02-00|State College 5-3-03|MSG 7-9-03|Holmdel 7-14-03|Boston 9-28-04|The Gorge 7-22&23-06|MSG 6-24&25-08|Philadelphia 10-31-09|MSG 5-20-10|LA 11-24-13||
  • applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    Ten Club should have been upfront about the fact that we get a shorter opening set when we buy pairs of tickets for $200. The fact that bootlegs are 2-for-1 indicates that Basecamp is more upfront that ten Club was for these shows.

Whether you like it or not, you paid to go to a Tom Petty show. Live with it. It's not Ten Club's fault. It's yours for lacking common sense.
  • mfogel2002mfogel2002 Posts: 15
    ]

Thanks PJ/10C/Petty for the opportunity to see two icon bands at one show. I appreciate it and will remain positive!

Well said.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    applenut wrote:
    Whether you like it or not, you paid to go to a Tom Petty show. Live with it. It's not Ten Club's fault. It's yours for lacking common sense.

bingo....Pearl Jam was supporting Petty on his tour.....they were the opening act

you had to know when you purchased these tix that you were getting only one set.....they said as much in the announcement.

Did you honestly expect 2.5 hours from each band??
  • samvb5samvb5 Posts: 16
    "10c / Pearl Jam should be ashamed for not being honest about Petty shows"

YOU should be ashamed for actually bitching about getting to see Pearl Jam, regardless if it was 20 minutes or 2 hours. Do you know how many people in this world have not gotten to see them at all, or only 1 or 2 times? No....probably not, b/c you are too busy crying over the fact that they didn't play long enough and I am sure they didn't play your favorite song either! You really thought that Pearl Jam and Petty were going to play 2 hour shows each? Really?! Guess what? If you don't like Tom Petty at all, then you shouldn't have gone to the show!!!!! Get over it!!!!
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    samvb5 wrote:
    "10c / Pearl Jam should be ashamed for not being honest about Petty shows"

YOU should be ashamed for actually bitching about getting to see Pearl Jam, regardless if it was 20 minutes or 2 hours. Do you know how many people in this world have not gotten to see them at all, or only 1 or 2 times? No....probably not, b/c you are too busy crying over the fact that they didn't play long enough and I am sure they didn't play your favorite song either! You really thought that Pearl Jam and Petty were going to play 2 hour shows each? Really?! Guess what? If you don't like Tom Petty at all, then you shouldn't have gone to the show!!!!! Get over it!!!!

Yeah you tell them!!

Thats what I am saying as well, thanks for putting that out there!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
    good. I win. Kat, lock er up.

It's comments like this that wake up my competitive side and won't let me let this thread die it's natural death.
    samvb5 wrote:

What a lousy argument. So basically you're saying we should consider ourselves lucky because Pearl Jam showed up at all? That we should be forever grateful simply because they graced us with their presence? Absolutely ridiculous why I sometimes wonder how we have a president that surrounds himself with yes men and not enough people seem to question it.

And yes, yes I did expect Pearl Jam to play 2 hours. As far as Tom Petty, I had no expectations. I'm not familiar with the length of his shows, so I can't answer that question. Why did I expect this? Because it's what I WAS LEAD BY THOSE SELLING US THE TICKETS TO EXPECT.
    applenut wrote:

So it was common sense to assume that we were getting lied to? I really don't understand what the naysayers don't get about our complaint. I really really don't. When we were sold the tickets, we were told they were doubling the ticket price because we were getting full shows/sets/whatever from BOTH the performers. I'm not even going to get into who was supposed to open for who (although I would bet my brand new house Petty was advertised as opening for Summerfest when the original announcement was made on 10c) because it doesn't matter, a full show/set/whatever is what it is. Pearl Jam does not play for an hour and a half. Period. I'm not talking about number of songs or the number of encores, etc. I'm talking about show length. Basecamp somehow knew ahead of time that Pearl Jam wouldn't be playing their FULL SHOW/SET/WHATEVER, so they 2 for 1'ed the boots. That really says it all right there. So the boots get a discount, but we still paid full price for the show tix? Really? That makes sense to people?

And I'm really sick of hearing this Tom Petty is an icon, lucky to hear Tom Petty, blah blah blah bullshit. Tom Petty is a fucking hack plain and simple. He plays essentially the SAME fucking songs in the SAME fucking order with the SAME fucking between song banter and the SAME fucking bony ass shaking EVERY SHOW. I will admit I had a bad taste in my mouth after the lights came on at 9 o'clock at St. Paul I and I wasn't about to give Petty a chance, even though going into the show I was looking forward to seeing both. But when the SAME fucking show was essentially replayed the next night, I paid $200 to see 1 Tom Petty show (same show 2 nights=1 show) and a little over 1 Pearl Jam show (because no, they do not play for 3 hours).

On top of all of this, its also the little things. Because PJ's set was cut short, we also missed out on the banter between songs from Ed. Call me crazy, but I'm interested in what Ed had to say and I like the little breaks where we find out what's on Ed's mind and get to hear his humor. Plus, the sets don't feel right. Starting with Last Exit or Interstellar Overdrive (immediately into Corduroy) just feel like we're starting mid show. I first had a hint that we were in for a short show from PJ when they opened with Last Exit at St. Paul I because it just "felt" like I had been dropped into mid-show. There's no flow to it like there normally is with a reserved opener, slowly building into the show and then mini ebbs and flows throughout. It's just a straightforward set.

Also and lastly, I can't even put a monetary value on what the Petty crowd takes out of a show. This one I will fully take the blame for. I should've been smart enough to realize it wasn't going to be the same crowd there. It's embarassing to watch at least half the crowd get into Betterman and Alive while sitting on their thumbs or heading for the bathrooms for a Come Back or Glorified G. And then even more embarassing to hear the crowd explode for Petty when Pearl Jam wasn't getting much. I still don't get how some people thought the crowd was split or even in PJ's favor at St. Paul I. Maybe they were closer to the stage or on the floor? I don't know, but from our seats the crowd was CLEARLY in Tom Petty's favor, just like Milwaukee I.
    drolly wrote:
    It's comments like this that wake up my competitive side and won't let me let this thread die it's natural death.

What a lousy argument. So basically you're saying we should consider ourselves lucky because Pearl Jam showed up at all? That we should be forever grateful simply because they graced us with their presence? Absolutely ridiculous why I sometimes wonder how we have a president that surrounds himself with yes men and not enough people seem to question it.

And yes, yes I did expect Pearl Jam to play 2 hours. As far as Tom Petty, I had no expectations. I'm not familiar with the length of his shows, so I can't answer that question. Why did I expect this? Because it's what I WAS LEAD BY THOSE SELLING US THE TICKETS TO EXPECT.

So it was common sense to assume that we were getting lied to? I really don't understand what the naysayers don't get about our complaint. I really really don't. When we were sold the tickets, we were told they were doubling the ticket price because we were getting full shows/sets/whatever from BOTH the performers. I'm not even going to get into who was supposed to open for who (although I would bet my brand new house Petty was advertised as opening for Summerfest when the original announcement was made on 10c) because it doesn't matter, a full show/set/whatever is what it is. Pearl Jam does not play for an hour and a half. Period. I'm not talking about number of songs or the number of encores, etc. I'm talking about show length. Basecamp somehow knew ahead of time that Pearl Jam wouldn't be playing their FULL SHOW/SET/WHATEVER, so they 2 for 1'ed the boots. That really says it all right there. So the boots get a discount, but we still paid full price for the show tix? Really? That makes sense to people?

And I'm really sick of hearing this Tom Petty is an icon, lucky to hear Tom Petty, blah blah blah bullshit. Tom Petty is a fucking hack plain and simple. He plays essentially the SAME fucking songs in the SAME fucking order with the SAME fucking between song banter and the SAME fucking bony ass shaking EVERY SHOW. I will admit I had a bad taste in my mouth after the lights came on at 9 o'clock at St. Paul I and I wasn't about to give Petty a chance, even though going into the show I was looking forward to seeing both. But when the SAME fucking show was essentially replayed the next night, I paid $200 to see 1 Tom Petty show (same show 2 nights=1 show) and a little over 1 Pearl Jam show (because no, they do not play for 3 hours).

On top of all of this, its also the little things. Because PJ's set was cut short, we also missed out on the banter between songs from Ed. Call me crazy, but I'm interested in what Ed had to say and I like the little breaks where we find out what's on Ed's mind and get to hear his humor. Plus, the sets don't feel right. Starting with Last Exit or Interstellar Overdrive (immediately into Corduroy) just feel like we're starting mid show. I first had a hint that we were in for a short show from PJ when they opened with Last Exit at St. Paul I because it just "felt" like I had been dropped into mid-show. There's no flow to it like there normally is with a reserved opener, slowly building into the show and then mini ebbs and flows throughout. It's just a straightforward set.

Also and lastly, I can't even put a monetary value on what the Petty crowd takes out of a show. This one I will fully take the blame for. I should've been smart enough to realize it wasn't going to be the same crowd there. It's embarassing to watch at least half the crowd get into Betterman and Alive while sitting on their thumbs or heading for the bathrooms for a Come Back or Glorified G. And then even more embarassing to hear the crowd explode for Petty when Pearl Jam wasn't getting much. I still don't get how some people thought the crowd was split or even in PJ's favor at St. Paul I. Maybe they were closer to the stage or on the floor? I don't know, but from our seats the crowd was CLEARLY in Tom Petty's favor, just like Milwaukee I.

Guess what, it's over. And no bitching is gonna make anything happen.

You learned a lesson. And yes you lacked common sense. These "coheadliner" shows all work the same.

Sucks to be you I guess, but life sucks from time to time.
    applenut wrote:
    Guess what, it's over. And no bitching is gonna make anything happen.

You learned a lesson. And yes you lacked common sense. These "coheadliner" shows all work the same.

Sucks to be you I guess, but life sucks from time to time.

Since when did that shut anybody up? :p

K, I got it. I lacked common sense because I should've assumed I was getting lied to by an entity that has treated us all great in the past and would give us no reason to doubt them. Lesson learned. Boy, and I thought I was pessimistic BEFORE all of this :rolleyes:
    drolly wrote:
    Since when did that shut anybody up? :p

K, I got it. I lacked common sense because I should've assumed I was getting lied to by an entity that has treated us all great in the past and would give us no reason to doubt them. Lesson learned. Boy, and I thought I was pessimistic BEFORE all of this :rolleyes:

Well, honestly, what do you want to hear?

OH YEA, PEARl JAM AND TENNCLUB SUCK. WHAT A RIPOFF. WHAT BULLSHIT.

Does that make you feel better? Need group therapy to bring up your beaten ego or something?

People have explained why your expectations were wrong and that you only set yourself up for dissapointment.

Pearl Jam could have played the best 70 minute set of their lives and you still would have been pissed and unhappy because it wasnt 120 mins.

Give it a rest.