10c / Pearl Jam should be ashamed for not being honest about Petty shows

markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
It appears the set in St. Paul tonight was 17-18 songs and about 1 hour 20 minutes...I was hoping for 1 hr 45 min, could jam 6-7 more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Do "full sets" exclude encores? If so, sounds like 18 songs in 80 minutes is about right.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • I thought this show was a split bill. Therefore each sharing approx 3 hr show. Sorry you're upset, but a little surprised it wasn't expected.
    OBAMA BABY
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    DeLukin wrote:
    Do "full sets" exclude encores? If so, sounds like 18 songs in 80 minutes is about right.

when i asked on 3 different occasions i was never responded to

my only hope is the summerfest dates say "co - headlining" while the rest say "special night with..."

i know 10c works their asses off to do good but they were very political when answering this question... just upsetting, my emotions are coming out in my words right now... I'll get over it, but it just stinks...
  • Yup that is about a full set. And I was pretty sure reading on the website that they would be playing about 90 minutes. I hope the show I go to they make it to 90 minutes not 80 or I demand a refund!

And plenty of people have said this on the boards too. Just read the boards and you would have known it would be a full set-18ish songs-90 minutes
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
    I thought this show was a split bill. Therefore each sharing approx 3 hr show. Sorry you're upset, but a little surprised it wasn't expected.

well maybe there are curfews at the other venues but Summerfest runs till 12 midnight... don't tell me PJ can't go on at 730, get off by 930, allow a 1/2 hour for a set change and petty go on at 10 till 12am. It can be done, maybe that is the case for Summerfest.

It would have been nice if they told fans straight up, here's the deal, PJ will share x amount of time at this venue, that's the deal, take it or leave it. Unstead it was danced around. Just my opinion.

Im not surprised just very disappointed now that it's here and my optimism has been shot down
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    Here we go...

I think it's pretty obvious they'll play a shorter set when they're "co-headlining" rather than "headlining." I certainly can't speak for each individual person, but I think this is pretty much what most people expected. That said, I certainly feel for those who aren't Petty fans and these are the closest shows on this tour.
  • Gators76Gators76 Posts: 160
    18 songs is a full set for %99.9 other bands. How can someone expect 2 hours and 25-30 songs for an OPENING or CO headlining act.

I would be pissed if this were the only show I was going to see. But its not like each act is going to play 2 hours. It sucks for the people that this is the only show they will get to.
    Toledo 96, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Vegas 06,
    San Diego 06.....Do I want some more? I said FUCK YEAH!!!!
    pjl44 wrote:
    Here we go...

I think it's pretty obvious they'll play a shorter set when they're "co-headlining" rather than "headlining." I certainly can't speak for each individual person, but I think this is pretty much what most people expected. That said, I certainly feel for those who aren't Petty fans and these are the closest shows on this tour.

80 minutes though? yes it's obvious we wouldn't get 2 1/2 hours thats expected but at least 100 min...

I don't have time to read the boards.... so my complaint is a recycle and i'm sure it will fade..... plus i'm holding out hope that the longer curfew in Milwaukee add's 1/2 hour to each band.

Ok I'm done, thanks for listening...
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    They said repeatedly, full sets, and as others have mentioned we never received responses on clarifying what that means. The same no response in regards to ten club ticket window people taking bribes to give better seats.

How the hell are we supposed to know a full set means no encores etc unless they tell us or respond to us?

I think is is BULL SHIT we payed twice as much for 3/4 the show and were led on to think it'd be a full show. Co headlining or not it is pretty silly for the people in charge to word things so confusingly and never offer clarification when requested.

Not to mention our seast are watered down with petty fan club members too. So in essence we pay 2X, get 3/4 and sit 2X farther away. What does that equal??? 3 total hours of Pearl Jam for the price of 6. Oh wait we get a free cd or down load, or in otherwords nothing extra! WooHOO

BAD JOB Ten Club
  • well maybe there are curfews at the other venues but Summerfest runs till 12 midnight... don't tell me PJ can't go on at 730, get off by 930, allow a 1/2 hour for a set change and petty go on at 10 till 12am. It can be done, maybe that is the case for Summerfest.

It would have been nice if they told fans straight up, here's the deal, PJ will share x amount of time at this venue, that's the deal, take it or leave it. Unstead it was danced around. Just my opinion.

Im not surprised just very disappointed now that it's here and my optimism has been shot down

Yeah, i can understand the disappointment. Sorry you're bummed.
    OBAMA BABY
  • KRANGKRANG Posts: 2
    I think that everyone is forgetting something here. These shows when they were first announced on the Pearl Jam website were labelled as Tom Petty being the opening act for PJ. It was not until the tickets actually went on sale that it was labelled as a "co-headlining" show. I remember this very clearly because i phoned my friend as soon as the concerts in St. Paul were announced and told him Petty was opening for PJ, because thats what it said on the website.
    Yeah, i can understand the disappointment. Sorry you're bummed.

hey , thanks man... im more bummed for my wife, i made her into a fan and her first show will be nothing compared to what i love and know... she'll be fine with that but it bugs me. I'm going both nights and don't mind petty but I was just hoping, ya know...
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    They said repeatedly, full sets, and as others have mentioned we never received responses on clarifying what that means. The same no response in regards to ten club ticket window people taking bribes to give better seats.

How the hell are we supposed to know a full set means no encores etc unless they tell us or respond to us?

I think is is BULL SHIT we payed twice as much for 3/4 the show and were led on to think it'd be a full show. Co headlining or not it is pretty silly for the people in charge to word things so confusingly and never offer clarification when requested.

Not to mention our seast are watered down with petty fan club members too. So in essence we pay 2X, get 3/4 and sit 2X farther away. What does that equal??? 3 total hours of Pearl Jam for the price of 6. Oh wait we get a free cd or down load, or in otherwords nothing extra! WooHOO

BAD JOB Ten Club

then people might not have bought as many tickets to the presale! it was a shitty move but I'll give 10c a pass, I've calmed down a bit, maybe they didn't even know at the time how it would all shake out...but at least tell us up front.
  • DeLukin wrote:
    exactly...an encore is just a bonus. should I get pissed if they only do 2 encores instead of 3, or only one instead of 2? be happy you saw em. you would have gone either way. g.r.e.e.d g.r.e.e.d.
  • jkb708jkb708 Posts: 10
    I think PJ has just spoiled many of you guys. I'm getting to go to my first PJ show and it will be in Denver next week. I have been wanting to go to a show for years now and my wife agreed to let us plan our vacation around it since they are not coming near me. AND I AM FREAKIN' PSYCHED!!!! I knew exactly what I would be getting and after seeing the St. Paul set, I'M STILL FREAKIN' PSYCHED!!!! For some bands, they never do more than 18 shows anyways.

I'm paying twice as much, travelling 8 hours, seeing less PJ, AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Many of my friends aren't having this opportunity, and don't forget about the shaft the south is getting right now.

Is anyone ever satisfied around here?
    exactly...an encore is just a bonus. should I get pissed if they only do 2 encores instead of 3, or only one instead of 2? be happy you saw em. you would have gone either way. g.r.e.e.d g.r.e.e.d.

your missing my point, fine they play 80 power packed minutes, it's obvioiusly not up to them how long they get to paly for, just tell the consumer up front what the deal is, or what you know the deal to be.
  • sxysadiesxysadie Posts: 43
    A least you had them play near you.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
    well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride! -Unknown
    I think PJ has just spoiled many of you guys. I'm getting to go to my first PJ show and it will be in Denver next week. I have been wanting to go to a show for years now and my wife agreed to let us plan our vacation around it since they are not coming near me. AND I AM FREAKIN' PSYCHED!!!! I knew exactly what I would be getting and after seeing the St. Paul set, I'M STILL FREAKIN' PSYCHED!!!! For some bands, they never do more than 18 shows anyways.

I'm paying twice as much, travelling 8 hours, seeing less PJ, AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!! Many of my friends aren't having this opportunity, and don't forget about the shaft the south is getting right now.

I am happy for you, you will have a great time!!!!

I just wish the 10c would have spelled it out a bit clearer, what we will have here is a debate between fans who thought full set means 16-18 songs and those who are more optimisic and thought it meant 20-22 songs. I dont' think ANYONE expecte a 2 plus hour marathon.

I just wanted it to be clear and what really gets me going is they wait until now to post a note saying "since Pearl Jam will be playing shorter sets it's 2 for 1 bootlegs", why didn't they say that before tickets went on sale?
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268

I think you summed it up right here dude... lots of people out there dont even get a chance to bitch about seating and setlists... If you have seen a Pearl Jam show you are lucky and blessed... now STFU!
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 276
    c'mon now, I don't think the people that are upset about the shows being shorter than expected are saying we don't like PJ or we wouldn't go if Pearl Jam didn't play for almost three hours.....

what we are saying is that it was advertised as two bands playing 2 full shows and that is not the case. I could have gone to any of the shows but I took time off for these shows.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    I really love all the bitching here. If you didn't expect about a 90 min. +/- set list for the PJ Petty Shows you are a MORON!!! It's pretty standard for a co-headlinging bill to be both bands playing roughly 90 min. Do I hope I get more than 90 min. at Summerfest? Hell yeah I do. But I knew going in what it was, a CO HEADLINGING SHOW, not just PJ. Glad I got to see full PJ shows in Chicago and Grand Rapids, but I'll gladly take 90 min. of PJ in Milwaukee than no PJ in Milwaukee!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • the reason i didn't get tics to the pj / petty shows is because its just common sense that they both would not be playing "full" sets. maybe it does suck that the ten club misled you or whatever, but nearly every concert has a time limit, regardless of whos playing.
    9/16/96, 7/18/98, 11/02/00, 08/4/01, 12/08/02, 4/13/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/01/05, 9/02/05, 7/06/06, 7/07/06, 7/09/06, 7/10/06, 7/20/06
    7/22/06, 7/23/06, 04/07/07, 8/3/07
    pureoc wrote:
    I really love all the bitching here. If you didn't expect about a 90 min. +/- set list for the PJ Petty Shows you are a MORON!!! It's pretty standard for a co-headlinging bill to be both bands playing roughly 90 min. Do I hope I get more than 90 min. at Summerfest? Hell yeah I do. But I knew going in what it was, a CO HEADLINGING SHOW, not just PJ. Glad I got to see full PJ shows in Chicago and Grand Rapids, but I'll gladly take 90 min. of PJ in Milwaukee than no PJ in Milwaukee!!!

lots of assumptions there, thanks for calling me a moron, again if they were going to play 2 songs i'd be fine if i knew. the only thing this changed for me is my wife would not go if it was only a short set, but it's my bday so we'll have a good time anyways...

the 10c sent out notices as if to reassure people they'd get a full pj show (or maybe they responded to my email saying it'd be a full show, I can't remember), they took a very political stance when addressing the questions about these shows, for me it's hitting the fan now cause it's happened with St. Paul night 1. maybe there is a curfew at 11? I don't know.

Until someone can show me a message from 10c stating exactly what a full set entails then you were guessing just like me , except your guess was right. but apparently im a moron so now that i know that i can rest easy. I'm an accountant I like black/white, not grey....
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    It sucks that you spent $100 to see 18 songs. I still can't figure out why they felt the need to play 6 shows with Petty. I'd rather have one full Indy show, then two shows with Tom Petty. The benefit of two only being 4 extra songs, and two chances to hear Release or Oceans. Tour more cities in the midwest or south, or Alpine Valley.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    Honestly, I find it incredible that you should complain. All it would take to see that practically every show this tour has had the main set consisting of around 18 songs is visiting Pearl Jam's website. I understand I'm coming off as an ass here, but it's all about reading! Instead of demanding information from the Ten Club, why not simply look at the data they have given you? And another thing - if you are going to a show with two bands, and are only interested in one, why bother?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    the reason i didn't get tics to the pj / petty shows is because its just common sense that they both would not be playing "full" sets. maybe it does suck that the ten club misled you or whatever, but nearly every concert has a time limit, regardless of whos playing.

what is the time limit? I know Summerfest is 12 midnight. So we will get 1 hour & 20 min of PJ (30% of the time limit) leaving over 3 hours for a set change and Tom Petty?

Maybe 10c did tell me the truth when it was stated it would be a full PJ set. Maybe it's only for Summerfest. There could have been a much better description up front, I bought my tix, regardless I would have, then I just hoped as my emails weren't answered except for stating "full set"

My complaint is not how long the band plays, it was how GREY the response from 10c was. Every answer was "full set" not Pearl Jam is in a co-headling situation and even morons know that means they'll play roughly 18 songs in their 90 minute alotted time etc....
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 276
    pureoc wrote:

I am no moron sir, you my friend are just a sheep. I really didn't expect more than 15 songs BUT the tenclub said it would be a full PJ set and thus the jack in ticket price.
    a8l wrote:
    I am no moron sir, you my friend are just a sheep. I really didn't expect more than 15 songs BUT the tenclub said it would be a full PJ set and thus the jack in ticket price.

i wish i kept my email i got back from 10c, i sent so many asking the same question I can't remember the details. I may have been told it would be a "full show"

oh well
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,479
    It sucks that you spent $100 to see 18 songs. I still can't figure out why they felt the need to play 6 shows with Petty. I'd rather have one full Indy show, then two shows with Tom Petty. The benefit of two only being 4 extra songs, and two chances to hear Release or Oceans. Tour more cities in the midwest or south, or Alpine Valley.

Ever think that perhaps the admire Tom Petty, and were happy to share some musical commraderie?

I think it was a "want", not a "need"

Too bad they don't have the pleasure of being managed by you.......they have done poorly for the past 15 years, but you would really whip them into shape!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,834
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Ever think that perhaps the admire Tom Petty, and were happy to share some musical commraderie?

I think it was a "want", not a "need"

Too bad they don't have the pleasure of being managed by you.......they have done poorly for the past 15 years, but you would really whip them into shape!

If I managed the band more fans would have a chance to see them without traveling and spending too much. Sorry, that would be my goal.