10c / Pearl Jam should be ashamed for not being honest about Petty shows

123457»

Comments

• drollydrolly Posts: 41
    applenut wrote:
    Well, honestly, what do you want to hear?

OH YEA, PEARl JAM AND TENNCLUB SUCK. WHAT A RIPOFF. WHAT BULLSHIT.

Does that make you feel better? Need group therapy to bring up your beaten ego or something?

People have explained why your expectations were wrong and that you only set yourself up for dissapointment.

Pearl Jam could have played the best 70 minute set of their lives and you still would have been pissed and unhappy because it wasnt 120 mins.

Give it a rest.

What do I want to hear? I answered that question about a page or so back. I would like to hear an "I'm sorry, our bad, we didn't know either" from somebody. That would be nice. At least we would know we weren't blatantly ripped off.

And ummm, actually no, people have not explained why our expectations were wrong. Unless you consider "you should've known" an explanation. Which I don't, because WE WERE TOLD differently. Really, how is that so hard to comprehend?

Here's another example. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, but I was in the crowd for the infamous "Ice Bowl" show a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was the shortest show on the tour that year. Was I a little disappointed in that? Sure. Was it dumb to schedule an outdoor show in Wisconsin in October? You bet. But the fact that we were part of something special made it all worthwhile. It was amazing to share that experience with the band, it was all of us against the cold. Good times. Plus, I also knew when I bought the tickets that it had the potential for a weather problem. That IS common sense. Being assured by 10c to not worry because we'll get a full show and then NOT getting that full show does not show a lack of common sense.
    I always finish what I sta
  • samvb5samvb5 Posts: 16
    What a lousy argument. So basically you're saying we should consider ourselves lucky because Pearl Jam showed up at all? That we should be forever grateful simply because they graced us with their presence? Absolutely ridiculous why I sometimes wonder how we have a president that surrounds himself with yes men and not enough people seem to question it..[/quote]

Uhhhhhhhhh, nope.........that's not basically what I was saying! What I was basically trying to do was make you look like an ass for bitching about the length of the show, while many fans throughout the world have not even been able to see them live! Apparently I didn't do a good enough job of explaining that the first time....hopefully this will sink in a little better! I am saying....YOU should be lucky that you get to see them on several occassions, and can afford to go to multiple shows. You didn't HAVE to go to this show.

And yes, yes I did expect Pearl Jam to play 2 hours. As far as Tom Petty, I had no expectations. I'm not familiar with the length of his shows, so I can't answer that question. Why did I expect this? Because it's what I WAS LEAD BY THOSE SELLING US THE TICKETS TO EXPECT.[/quote]

So it was common sense to assume that we were getting lied to? I really don't understand what the naysayers don't get about our complaint. I really really don't. When we were sold the tickets, we were told they were doubling the ticket price because we were getting full shows/sets/whatever from BOTH the performers. I'm not even going to get into who was supposed to open for who (although I would bet my brand new house Petty was advertised as opening for Summerfest when the original announcement was made on 10c) because it doesn't matter, a full show/set/whatever is what it is. Pearl Jam does not play for an hour and a half. Period. I'm not talking about number of songs or the number of encores, etc. I'm talking about show length. Basecamp somehow knew ahead of time that Pearl Jam wouldn't be playing their FULL SHOW/SET/WHATEVER, so they 2 for 1'ed the boots. That really says it all right there. So the boots get a discount, but we still paid full price for the show tix? Really? That makes sense to people?.[/quote]

Soooo, have you ever seen the sign contract, in which it depicts exactly how long PJ will perform at each show? I am just curious. You must be a genious to know what a full set means. Let me get this straight then....a hour and a half show - NOT A FULL SET; 2 hour show - FULL SET. Is that correct?!

And I'm really sick of hearing this Tom Petty is an icon, lucky to hear Tom Petty, blah blah blah bullshit. Tom Petty is a fucking hack plain and simple. He plays essentially the SAME fucking songs in the SAME fucking order with the SAME fucking between song banter and the SAME fucking bony ass shaking EVERY SHOW. I will admit I had a bad taste in my mouth after the lights came on at 9 o'clock at St. Paul I and I wasn't about to give Petty a chance, even though going into the show I was looking forward to seeing both. But when the SAME fucking show was essentially replayed the next night, I paid $200 to see 1 Tom Petty show (same show 2 nights=1 show) and a little over 1 Pearl Jam show (because no, they do not play for 3 hours)..[/quote]

Again, why would you pay that much money to see a hack perform? You seem to know quite a bit on what occurs at Petty shows, so I am wondering why above you stated that you didn't have any expectations for his show, and didn't know how long his shows normally are. If he plays the same fucking songs and the same fucking banter, I would assume that the length of each show would be exactly the same. And so again, why then having pre-knowledge of this, and thinking he is a hack, would you even buy tickets to see PJ and Petty, 2 TIMES, let alone, one time. I'm just curious. Not really smart of you to buy tickets for two shows for someone that you think is a hack!!!!!!! HUH?

On top of all of this, its also the little things. Because PJ's set was cut short, we also missed out on the banter between songs from Ed. Call me crazy, but I'm interested in what Ed had to say and I like the little breaks where we find out what's on Ed's mind and get to hear his humor. Plus, the sets don't feel right. Starting with Last Exit or Interstellar Overdrive (immediately into Corduroy) just feel like we're starting mid show. I first had a hint that we were in for a short show from PJ when they opened with Last Exit at St. Paul I because it just "felt" like I had been dropped into mid-show. There's no flow to it like there normally is with a reserved opener, slowly building into the show and then mini ebbs and flows throughout. It's just a straightforward set..[/quote]

Is this a half-set then? How unfortunate that you got dropped in mid-set. Mid-set of the half-set though, right?! Next time I don't think the flow is right...man, I am just going to walk out of the show. Screw it....if they are not going to cater to my needs and wants, they are just not worth seeing at all!!!!!!!! Are you done crying?!

Also and lastly, I can't even put a monetary value on what the Petty crowd takes out of a show. This one I will fully take the blame for. I should've been smart enough to realize it wasn't going to be the same crowd there. It's embarassing to watch at least half the crowd get into Betterman and Alive while sitting on their thumbs or heading for the bathrooms for a Come Back or Glorified G. And then even more embarassing to hear the crowd explode for Petty when Pearl Jam wasn't getting much. I still don't get how some people thought the crowd was split or even in PJ's favor at St. Paul I. Maybe they were closer to the stage or on the floor? I don't know, but from our seats the crowd was CLEARLY in Tom Petty's favor, just like Milwaukee I.[/quote]

Reading your disappointments, can I assume that you feel Ten club are bunch of jerks, who treated you unfairly, in which you are never going to utilize their tickets again? If so...can I get your number, b/c I am sure your number is a lot lower than mine and therefore I can get better seats. Just thought that I would take this opportunity to ask! And if you do utilize ten club seats again, aren't you just going back on everything you just said here; or at least the leading/following bit? Do you have trust issues now? Again, just curious.
    drolly wrote:
    What do I want to hear? I answered that question about a page or so back. I would like to hear an "I'm sorry, our bad, we didn't know either" from somebody. That would be nice. At least we would know we weren't blatantly ripped off.

And ummm, actually no, people have not explained why our expectations were wrong. Unless you consider "you should've known" an explanation. Which I don't, because WE WERE TOLD differently. Really, how is that so hard to comprehend?

Here's another example. I wasn't a member of this board at the time, but I was in the crowd for the infamous "Ice Bowl" show a few years back. If I remember correctly, it was the shortest show on the tour that year. Was I a little disappointed in that? Sure. Was it dumb to schedule an outdoor show in Wisconsin in October? You bet. But the fact that we were part of something special made it all worthwhile. It was amazing to share that experience with the band, it was all of us against the cold. Good times. Plus, I also knew when I bought the tickets that it had the potential for a weather problem. That IS common sense. Being assured by 10c to not worry because we'll get a full show and then NOT getting that full show does not show a lack of common sense.

I almost forgot to ask.....SO is it safe to assume that if something "special" happens at a shorter show, you are okay w/this? However, if nothing "special" happens and the show is shorter......it constitutes for bitching about it?! If Tom Petty would have played at the "Ice Bowl" would that have been okay? Did he have his "hack" status yet? Or would it have not mattered b/c it was all of you against the cold?
  • applenutapplenut Posts: 67
    drolly wrote:
    Being assured by 10c to not worry because we'll get a full show and then NOT getting that full show does not show a lack of common sense.

Full set does not equal full show.

THAT is where the common sense comes in.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    The Show is Pearl jam and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Co Headlining = 90 minutes per band
    That is what you got.
    Th 10 club NEVER said that TP and the Heartbreakers were opening, they worded to say Pearl jam and Tom Petty and the heartbreakers, and that both bands would be playing full sets. In PJ's case 17 or 18 songs is a full set; and 17 or 18 songs is generally most bands show anyway. We are spoiled a full pj show when they headline is 25+ songs.
    The only points that you make that I sympathise with is that you all had to pay double to see a co headlinig tour, and that makes no sense. Most co headlining shows are usually set at one price.
    The other one I sympathise with is that for those that went to both shows, TP and the heartbreakers play the same set over and over; Most bands do play the same set over and over, but if they are doing a two nighter in one city, they should change it up.
    I am not bashing you at all, so please don't take it like I am. The ten club was very upfront from the beginning and said it was a co headlining tour; and Mike said in an interview in April, that PJ was opening for Petty for an hour and a half.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • krobbinzkrobbinz Posts: 187
    I never seen offical word as to what a full set was, did anyone else? If you did please let me know.

I loved the shows no matter what and it was well worth the 360.00+ dollars spent on both nights!
    East Troy 10/08/00 St. Paul 06/16/03 Chicago 5/17/06 St. Paul 6/26/06 St. Paul 6/27/06 Lollapalooza '07 Bonnaroo '08
    Chicago 8/23/09 Chicago 8/24/09 PJ 20 9/3/11 PJ 20 9/4/11 Milwaukee 10/20/14 Chicago 8/20/16 Chicago 8/22/16 Chicago 8/18/18 Chicago 8/20/18
  • boxwine_in_hellboxwine_in_hell Posts: 1,263
    I'll bottom line it for all of you that have diarrhea of the mouth and like to argue with each other. The people that live where the Petty/PJ shows are playing got screwed, period end of story. The idea of co-headlining the 2 bands was a really dumb fucking idea. The only thing it accomplished was to piss off both sets of fans of 2 artists that are not in the least bit compatable. Petty's best songs are 25 years behind him and PJ is still growing and going strong. Petty robots his way through the same old tired set and PJ always changes their set considerably. I agree with one of the above posts, whomever was responsible for the stupid idea and the subsequent vagueness with which they handled all the 10cers questions should apologize and admit that either they or somebody else fucked up. Why someone thinks that the average PJ fan is even remotely interested in Petty and vice versa is beyond me.....that's one idea that should have been crumpled up and tossed in the shit can. Unfortunately it is us in the Twin Cities, Milwaukee and Denver that have to suffer for somebody's horrible decison. Life sucks and then you die.....C'est la vie.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • markinsandmarkinsand Posts: 184
    wow i can't beleive this thread is still alive

it was worth it, i was all worked up for nothing

thanks for 2 great nights!
    samvb5 wrote:
    I almost forgot to ask.....SO is it safe to assume that if something "special" happens at a shorter show, you are okay w/this? However, if nothing "special" happens and the show is shorter......it constitutes for bitching about it?! If Tom Petty would have played at the "Ice Bowl" would that have been okay? Did he have his "hack" status yet? Or would it have not mattered b/c it was all of you against the cold?

In order...

Yes, I would be ok. Basecamp figured it out and made up for it by 2 for 1'ing the shows. Some type of "special" show would definitely have made up for it. Instead it was just shorter show for full ticket price.

Are you asking if Tom Petty AND PJ played at the Ice Bowl if it would have been acceptable? Or simply Petty? If simply Petty, I wouldn't have even been there to find out, so can't answer that question. If it was PJ and Petty, at least that would have been a legitimate reason for shorter sets instead of being planned all along even though we were told differently.

As for your other post, dude, you really need to learn how to use the quote feature. I can't even tell where my argument ends and your argument begins and frankly, it's really not worth my time to go piecing through it to find out. But a couple points stick out.

First, why would you assume I would shun 10c and PJ for the rest of my life over ONE incident? This is like arguing with my fiancee, who happens to be the biggest drama queen I know :eek: :p . All or nothing right? No way somebody could have a single complaint without being completely dramatic about it.

Second, sure, I know now that IMO, Petty is a hack. Did I know that when I bought the tickets? Nope. Found that out on the boards a few days before the show and then found out myself AT the show. I already said I went in ready to give Petty a chance. Turned out he ended up being a hack in my eyes.

Lastly, dude, what the fuck are you talking about? Mid-show of half a set? What the fuck? I hate name calling on the boards because it does nothing, but seriously, how the hell could you not comprehend that? If you got dropped in mid-show somewhere, what would that leave you? Mid=half. That would leave you with half a show, which is ROUGHLY what we got.

What it all comes down to is a whole Whale's Vagina issue. Agree to disagree.
    applenut wrote:
    Full set does not equal full show.

THAT is where the common sense comes in.

Actually that's where the vagueness comes in because, AGAIN, all terms were thrown around pretty liberally when tickets were announced and questions were asked. We have been treated great in the past and I didn't expect anything different. I was wrong.

Same thing though. Whale's Vagina. Agree to disagree.
    drolly wrote:
    In order...

Yes, I would be ok. Basecamp figured it out and made up for it by 2 for 1'ing the shows. Some type of "special" show would definitely have made up for it. Instead it was just shorter show for full ticket price.

You just make yourself dumber by continueing to bring up this basecamp argument. With basecamp you are not paying for the Tom Petty portion of the show. By admitting that you are alright with Base Camp's pricing, then you should also be ok with the length of Pearl jam's set each night.

What a tool.
    drolly wrote:
    Actually that's where the vagueness comes in because, AGAIN, all terms were thrown around pretty liberally when tickets were announced and questions were asked. We have been treated great in the past and I didn't expect anything different. I was wrong.

Same thing though. Whale's Vagina. Agree to disagree.

It's only vague if you're 12 and have not gone to a concert other than a Pearl Jam concert and don't know what concert terminology means or how concerts work.
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 276
    as a previous poster in this thread I will return to bring the good news!

I thought the sets kicked ass, PJ was more energetic than usual, it was like they had something to prove or there was a sense of urgency. I think if you added a slow opener and a second encore of a couple songs that would be about the best length for a PJ show.

Got my $400 bannanas worth.
    applenut wrote:
    You just make yourself dumber by continueing to bring up this basecamp argument. With basecamp you are not paying for the Tom Petty portion of the show. By admitting that you are alright with Base Camp's pricing, then you should also be ok with the length of Pearl jam's set each night.

What a tool.

Wow, name calling. Way to show how mature and tough you are on an online board.

How does "admitting" that I'm alright with Base Camp's pricing make it alright with the set length? Really, I'm not paying for the Petty portion of the show? Thanks for the newsflash. So, following this logic then, since Base Camp is really only charging half price for the Pearl Jam portion of the show, that means I should be ok only paying half price for a ticket to watch the show, so essentially I paid $25 to see PJ and $75 to see Petty? Is that how your argument goes? Because I'm ok with Base Camp's half pricing, I should be ok with the PJ show because I only paid half too?

We obviously are not going to agree on this. Coming from somebody who's perceived "common sense" includes thinking buying multiple posters at shows is acceptable, this isn't exactly a shock that I'm not going to agree with you.
    drolly wrote:
    somebody who's perceived "common sense" includes thinking buying multiple posters at shows is acceptable, this isn't exactly a shock that I'm not going to agree with you.

You can buy multiple of everything else at the merchandise stand.

Thhere is no reason not to be able to buy multiple posters. Especially when there is no realistic way of controlling it.

Supporting your pathetic argument by an even weaker one is no one to go through life.
  • Co-Headlining
    Two acts split a bill with approximately the same amount of time given to each act. Occasionally this may also entail acts alternating closing slots each night, but not always the case.

Full Set
    A set of songs which is of normal concert length for a headline act. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ENCORES. A typical full set from Pearl Jam has always ranged anywhere from 16-20 songs without encore(s).

"An Evening With..."
    Usually means a headliner is playing alone, with no supporting act.

I can't wait until people start bitching about Pearl Jam having opening bands, saying it takes time away from Ed's pre-sets or the third and fourth encores.
    :rolleyes:
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    I love this arguement! drolly you hit the nail on the head, if the boots are two for one, then the show by following that logic should be two for one. Bottom line it should have been 50 bucks show like usuall, and the price got jacked out of proportion.

Also lets get this straight, Tom Petty is NOT Rolling Stones, U2, or Madonna that he can charage 100 bucks per show. If it wasnt for these killer supporting acts Tom Petty would be on the oldies circuit playing BB Kings/Beacon Theater size venues, like George Thorogood, David Lee Roth, etc. are doing.

BTW- String Cheese Incident and Rat Dog are doing a co-headlining tour now and it looks like they are doing it the right way, bands switch slots from night to night, and early start time to make sure you get full sets in.
    GeorgeinNY wrote:
    I love this arguement! drolly you hit the nail on the head, if the boots are two for one, then the show by following that logic should be two for one. Bottom line it should have been 50 bucks show like usuall, and the price got jacked out of proportion.

Also lets get this straight, Tom Petty is NOT Rolling Stones, U2, or Madonna that he can charage 100 bucks per show. If it wasnt for these killer supporting acts Tom Petty would be on the oldies circuit playing BB Kings/Beacon Theater size venues, like George Thorogood, David Lee Roth, etc. are doing.

BTW- String Cheese Incident and Rat Dog are doing a co-headlining tour now and it looks like they are doing it the right way, bands switch slots from night to night, and early start time to make sure you get full sets in.

1. again, only a fool thinks the basecamp arguments makes sense
    2. Tom Petty is not the Stones or U2 or madonna but he can charge 100 dollars a show because he has been for several years now (at least 75+ dollars)
    3. Tom Petty would sell 85-90% of the tickets at all of these venues by himself. Pearl jam is there to get that to full. Pearl jam likely would have a hard time selling out 2 nights at these places as well.
    4. Bob Weir sucks and Ratdog and String Cheese are fucking boring excuses of jambands. You couldn't pay me to go see that show.
    Applenut and MookieB are my new heroes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like you on either side of me for an arguement anyday!!!!
  • GeorgeinNYGeorgeinNY Posts: 113
    haha you couldnt pay me to go see Tom Petty...

also this full set arguement what is a full set is bs if you excuse my language, by that logic if I sent you a PJ "full set" bootleg and omitted the encores you'd be ok with that?
    GeorgeinNY wrote:
    haha you couldnt pay me to go see Tom Petty...

also this full set arguement what is a full set is bs if you excuse my language, by that logic if I sent you a PJ "full set" bootleg and omitted the encores you'd be ok with that?

Well.....if they didn't play the encores at the show, then yeah. Shit...I'd take it even if the encores weren't on it and they did actually play them. I am apparently not the appropriate person to ask for this question. I mean....my panties are also not in a bunch b/c I was "forced" to buy tickets to PJ/Tom Petty. Damn you 10 Club, damn you for making me buy tickets. Why did I just renew my membership? What is wrong w/me?
  • mfogel2002mfogel2002 Posts: 15
    applenut wrote:
    3. Tom Petty would sell 85-90% of the tickets at all of these venues by himself. Pearl jam is there to get that to full. Pearl jam likely would have a hard time selling out 2 nights at these places as well.

Dont know if you were in Denver last night but I would have to say the crowd favored PJ a little more than Petty.
    I will have to agree. I think the PJ fans outnumbered the Petty fans. I saw a lot of people sitting down during the Petty set. I didn't see anyone sitting down during PJ. Maybe they just got tired or the booze caught up to them.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    I will have to agree. I think the PJ fans outnumbered the Petty fans. I saw a lot of people sitting down during the Petty set. I didn't see anyone sitting down during PJ. Maybe they just got tired or the booze caught up to them.

I thought night 2 was definitely more a Petty crowd than PJ. Most of the upper deck was barren when PJ took the stage.

It just seemed to have a Petty vibe all night. maybe he has more singalongs and what not, I dunno.

not that the crowd wasn't into PJ. Just a little more into Petty on night 2.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    Yeah, I can't speak for night 2, I wasn't there. On night one it seemed like most the PJ fans stayed out of respect for Petty, but after about an hour, I noticed a lot of people leaving for the night.
    one foot in the door
    -The Replacements-