Options

Iraq

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mickeyrat said:

whatever its worth, these ISIS ISIL what the fuck ever , are hardcore. They are clear in their objective and appear to have the strength of will to do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal. Rules of engagement do not apply for them and as such rules of engagement shouldnt apply in dealing with them.

If some of the baddest of the bad are saying these guys are fucked up even for them , then acting with extreme prejudice is the only option. Just wonder who will have the fucking balls to do it? I would prefer some other group of Arabs clean up their own backyard. These guys arent gonna stop with just Iraq.

Well-said, mickey. Watching the news just now on this, my fucking god.

Whose fucking god, no fucking god?

Shawshank, earlier my husband said (well, shouted in anger) essentially the same as you. Totally agree.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,284
    unsung said:

Maybe we should stop playing puppet master.

Absolutely merit in that. I'm for greater involvement/leadership from Europe and elsewhere in things that have been traditionally dumped in our lap(or taken on without being asked).
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    edited August 2014
    I agree about no longer playing puppet master, but what is done is done. The fact remains, this horror in Iraq has festered in a power vacuum that we created. We do bare responsibility.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    unsung said:

We have no business there even though it's mostly our fault that it's happening.

True,and I get the hands off let them deal with it stance.But I really think this is one mess we created that we have to clean up.This situation could have a more far reaching ramifications.I also really want to see our Commander and Chief show some backbone on this matter and really bring the heat.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Because we are responsible for everything.

Everyone else just fucks it up worse.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

mickeyrat said:

whatever its worth, these ISIS ISIL what the fuck ever , are hardcore. They are clear in their objective and appear to have the strength of will to do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal. Rules of engagement do not apply for them and as such rules of engagement shouldnt apply in dealing with them.

If some of the baddest of the bad are saying these guys are fucked up even for them , then acting with extreme prejudice is the only option. Just wonder who will have the fucking balls to do it? I would prefer some other group of Arabs clean up their own backyard. These guys arent gonna stop with just Iraq.

Well-said, mickey. Watching the news just now on this, my fucking god.

Whose fucking god, no fucking god?

Shawshank, earlier my husband said (well, shouted in anger) essentially the same as you. Totally agree.
    Yep,Same thinking here also
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    here we go again..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    Obama ready to bomb Iraq...? To get those 'evil' guys, cause those/these evil guys, are even more 'evil', more 'dangerous' than the previous set of, evil, dangerous people, we bombed, that's our excuse now?

and if/when we kill more innocent people with our involvement, what happens? Surely we create the next generation of 'evil' guys, no doubt being 'worse' than before, perpetual war.

We should close that mega base we have in Iraq, pack our bags and walk away.
  • Options
    We should have never invaded in the first place. But we did. And there will be a lifetime of consequences.

• Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    Outside of World War II, I never understood why America has to go half way around the globe to settle conflicts. Why dont the neighboring countries and countries in close proximity police their areas? If something was to happen in Canada or Mexico, America is not going to wait for France, Germany, or Australia to come take care of it. With that being said, America is invested not only financially but with the blood of dead soldiers and contractors in Iraq. To sit back and let a radical militia tear through the country and commit atrocities is unacceptable. I'm not going to pretend like I have the answer, but there is a need for action.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

unsung said:

Because we are responsible for everything.

Everyone else just fucks it up worse.

That's not our problem. Of course because the banks, oil, and the MIC run this country nothing will change. 24 years now in Iraq.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Once again, I look at it from the side of the innocent kids in this,
    we can't ignore this because we(USA) are responsible.
    We fucked with this country (whether justified or not) and now it is in just as bad shape as before.

but we can't allow these religious zealots to run rampant and murder kids just because they happened to be born to parents who are Christian, jewish, muslim, Buddhist...fill in the blank.

unacceptable to stand by and let this happen. violence is the only thing these fucks(ISIS) understand, so unfortunately it is how you have to deal with them.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Fucked up, brain-washed, psychopathic idiots.

What do you do with them? This is a calamity that is rapidly spiralling way out of control.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317

What do you do with them? This is a calamity that is rapidly spiralling way out of control.

The U.S. or Isis?
    -
    We deal with ISIS, then who deals with us? (the U.S.)

You know, the U.S., the country that invades, bombs, destroys, supports the worst people in the world.

The U.S., the country that dropped Depleted Uranium (DU) in Iraq, causing congenital birth defects,cancers, total immune system collapse.

That was us, we did that, evil? No? Destroying the lives of babies, yet to be born, can it get more 'evil'? What position are we (the U.S.) in to go around talking about how Evil other people are.

and the real kicker, many of these people/groups were created directly or indirectly by U.S. actions around the world.

It's us, we are the bad ones, someone needs to do something about us.
  • Options
    Idris said:

The U.S. or Isis?
    -

You know, the U.S., the country that invades, bombs, destroys, supports the worst people in the world.

The U.S., the country that dropped Depleted Uranium (DU) in Iraq, causing congenital birth defects,cancers, total immune system collapse.

That was us, we did that, evil? No? Destroying the lives of babies, yet to be born, can it get more 'evil'? What position are we (the U.S.) in to go around talking about how Evil other people are.

and the real kicker, many of these people/groups were created directly or indirectly by U.S. actions around the world.

I was talking about Isis. The US is far from perfect- I`ll give you that.

For the record... I`m Canadian.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Idris said:

The U.S. or Isis?
    -

Really Idris??Are you fucking kidding me ? You with good conscience how can you even think ISIS and the US are on the same level.Thats just asinine.
    We are far from perfect,and criticizing our foreign policy and involvement around the world is not only your right but your duty.But those same freedoms that give you the right to do that freely is also one of the big differences that separate us from those lowlife piece of shit terrorist scum bags.They CUT KIDS IN HALF,PUT HEADS ON STICKS and slaughter without remorse just for not being the right type of fundamentalist Muslim.These are some sick fuckers.Dont even try to think we as a country are even close to that kind of filth.Like I said earlier,we are not without our share of mistakes and or faults,but we also do a hell of a lot of good around the world and you better keep that in mind while throwing your own country under the bus.To many of our Brothers and sisters ,children and family have died trying to fight scum like this.You should really check your priorities,they seem out of whack.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Countries who are helping those poor humans yazidiens and other minorities being slaughtered are heroes. Have you seen the videos taken from that area, it's heart breaking.
  • Options
    Annafalk said:

Countries who are helping those poor humans yazidiens and other minorities being slaughtered are heroes. Have you seen the videos taken from that area, it's heart breaking.

Agreed,but some on here want you to think otherwise.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited August 2014
    rr165892 said:

Idris said:

The U.S. or Isis?
    -

Really Idris??Are you fucking kidding me ? You with good conscience how can you even think ISIS and the US are on the same level.Thats just asinine.
    We are far from perfect,and criticizing our foreign policy and involvement around the world is not only your right but your duty.But those same freedoms that give you the right to do that freely is also one of the big differences that separate us from those lowlife piece of shit terrorist scum bags.They CUT KIDS IN HALF,PUT HEADS ON STICKS and slaughter without remorse just for not being the right type of fundamentalist Muslim.These are some sick fuckers.Dont even try to think we as a country are even close to that kind of filth.Like I said earlier,we are not without our share of mistakes and or faults,but we also do a hell of a lot of good around the world and you better keep that in mind while throwing your own country under the bus.To many of our Brothers and sisters ,children and family have died trying to fight scum like this.You should really check your priorities,they seem out of whack.

This is why I supported Ron Paul.

He firmly believes in a non-intervention policy, his critics from both sides were quick to label him as an isolationist. Our interventionist policies are the cause of much of the problems around the world, including having a large hand in what happens in the middle east.

We arm one country with planes to attack another country that we gave tanks to. We arm "rebels" in countries like Libya and Syria, but then when they use those weapons to attack our "friends" we call them terrorists. Our politicians steal from people in this country via the taxation system to send the funds to essentially arm these groups while it directly harms innocent people.

So yeah, I am very strongly saying that we should have never stuck our f-ing noses in it to begin with.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I blame the papyrus plant.
  • Options
    unsung said:

rr165892 said:

Idris said:

The U.S. or Isis?
    -

He firmly believes in a non-intervention policy, his critics from both sides were quick to label him as an isolationist. Our interventionist policies are the cause of much of the problems around the world, including having a large hand in what happens in the middle east.

We arm one country with planes to attack another country that we gave tanks to. We arm "rebels" in countries like Libya and Syria, but then when they use those weapons to attack our "friends" we call them terrorists. Our politicians steal from people in this country via the taxation system to send the funds to essentially arm these groups while it directly harms innocent people.

So yeah, I am very strongly saying that we should have never stuck our f-ing noses in it to begin with.
    Can't unspill the milk.It now needs cleaning regardless who made the mess.Just doing nothing does not fit with our benevolent moral compass.(this situation I'm referencing only)
  • Options
    Ok, then at what point can we walk away for good? What will it take?
  • Options
    unsung said:

This is the question that I don't believe has an answer. It didn't in 2003 and it doesn't today. I couldn't agree more with you and with Ron Paul that we should not have gone in, but we did. I don't know when we can walk away or what it should look like when we do.

• Options
    unsung said:

This is the question that I don't believe has an answer. It didn't in 2003 and it doesn't today. I couldn't agree more with you and with Ron Paul that we should not have gone in, but we did. I don't know when we can walk away or what it should look like when we do.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,625
    unsung said:

rr165892 said:

Idris said:

The U.S. or Isis?
    -

Here is a question for you: Let's say the US never went to war in Iraq. The US had no hand in the power vacuum in Iraq. Would you support the US's involvement in helping those civilians stuck in the mountains?
  • Options
    If we had never got ourselves involved with other issues, Libya/Syria, where we armed these people it probably wouldn't be happening in the first place.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,625
    edited August 2014
    unsung said:

If we had never got ourselves involved with other issues, Libya/Syria, where we armed these people it probably wouldn't be happening in the first place.

You missed the point of the question. I'll just make it a hypothetical.

Facts:
    1) A rebel group is going town to town killing and has trapped refugees in the mountains
    2) US has no direct or indirect involvement in conflict
    3) It is clear cut (100% agreement from all nations) that the rebels are the bad guys and the refugees are the good guys
    4) The country involved has asked for US assistance
    5) US has the ability to bomb the rebel group and send food and aid to the refugees

With these facts, would your foreign policy views allow for the US to help?
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    unsung said:

Great question.I think once we can help prop up a new puppet government,that actually can take care of its own affairs in matters like this for starters.
    I think "boots on the ground" we can see more hands off in the near future,but our money and silent support for another 50 years at least.As long as we want the oil,and strategic positioning in the region its going to be Avery long time before we quit breast feeding the Iraqi government.

I do think that regardless we would still be involved in this situation on a humanitarian level anyway
  • Options
    edited August 2014

You missed the point of the question. I'll just make it a hypothetical.

Facts:
    1) A rebel group is going town to town killing and has trapped refugees in the mountains
    2) US has no direct or indirect involvement in conflict
    3) It is clear cut (100% agreement from all nations) that the rebels are the bad guys and the refugees are the good guys
    4) The country involved has asked for US assistance
    5) US has the ability to bomb the rebel group and send food and aid to the refugees

With these facts, would your foreign policy views allow for the US to help?

I would support humanitarian aid but that is it. No military involvement.

And no, I did not miss the point. Your question wasn't asking about a hypothetical situation. The FACTS are that our involvement in that region of the globe creates radicals. It is more than just Iraq, or are you saying that these violators are Iraqis?

And also there are countries with better logistics that could provide support, the US doesn't hold the patent on humanitarian efforts.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    Call me naive, but I wish that, rather than committing to an interventionist vs. isolationist stance, governments could treat these the way they really should: case by case, ruled by logic. Intervention is sometimes good, and sometimes devastatingly bad, but I often wonder if actions of the government are all based on an adherence to the goals promised at the time of electoral campaigning, out of fear of perceived 'flip-flopping'.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1