America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    dignin said:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=1

How They Got Their Guns

The guns used in 15 recent mass shootings, including the attack in San Bernardino, were bought legally. At least eight gunmen had criminal histories or documented mental health problems that did not prevent them from obtaining their weapons.

Yeah, that's a problem!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=1

How They Got Their Guns

The guns used in 15 recent mass shootings, including the attack in San Bernardino, were bought legally. At least eight gunmen had criminal histories or documented mental health problems that did not prevent them from obtaining their weapons.

Yeah, that's a problem!
    freedom before life! :murica:

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2015

PJPOWER said:

So now they are saying that these guns were bought legally in the state of California, a state with some of the most strict of gun laws... They were not shipped in from another state, sold at a gun show, they passed background checks, did not buy them online, etc... People with a motive will find a means, how do you prevent a motive??? Maybe social media is perpetuating this violence, should we do a background check before people create a Facebook account?

yes, bought legally as the laws are now. people are wanting more stringent background checks, mental health checks, etc etc.

you should have to get a referral from your doctor before you can get one.

So then people will stop getting the mental health treatment they need to avoid getting put on a "list" or just go to a doctor that will sign off. I don't like the idea of a doctor deciding what I can or cannot do because he or she may have an agenda of their own. Would any of those things stopped this from happening? Maybe polygraphs for people entering the country would have stopped this one??? But again, motives are so different... I just don't agree with creating "more laws, more laws" that have shown little to no evidence of stopping this stuff. Vigilance and personal situational awareness training (not fear) would do more good...should we make it a law that people take counterterrorism training in the core curriculum (sarcasm)? Again, how do you prevent motives?
    edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

Yeah, that's a problem!

Apparently! I'm under that impression that, in Canada at least, public safety comes before individual freedoms (this is idea in a place where freedom is valued is handled with *gasp!* common sense!). This seems like a necessary concept to me. Is this not the thinking in the US???
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

So now they are saying that these guns were bought legally in the state of California, a state with some of the most strict of gun laws... They were not shipped in from another state, sold at a gun show, they passed background checks, did not buy them online, etc... People with a motive will find a means, how do you prevent a motive??? Maybe social media is perpetuating this violence, should we do a background check before people create a Facebook account?

yes, bought legally as the laws are now. people are wanting more stringent background checks, mental health checks, etc etc.

So then people will stop getting the mental health treatment they need to avoid getting put on a "list" or just go to a doctor that will sign off. I don't like the idea of a doctor deciding what I can or cannot do because he or she may have an agenda of their own. Would any of those things stopped this from happening? Maybe polygraphs for people entering the country would have stopped this one??? But again, motives are so different... I just don't agree with creating "more laws, more laws" that have shown little to no evidence of stopping this stuff. Vigilance and personal situational awareness training (not fear) would do more good...should we make it a law that people take counterterrorism training in the core curriculum (sarcasm)? Again, how do you prevent motives?
    good points. I'm really not sure what the answer is.

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

Yeah, that's a problem!

Apparently! I'm under that impression that, in Canada at least, public safety comes before individual freedoms (this is idea in a place where freedom is valued is handled with *gasp!* common sense!). This seems like a necessary concept to me. Is this not the thinking in the US???
    we don't have the all-powerful lobbies that they have in the US. the richest companies make/block the laws down there. I'm sure there's backroom shit here in CA, but not to any shred of the degree of the US.

but also, we don't have the same culture. I don't know anyone that owns any type of gun other than a rifle for hunting.

www.headstonesband.com

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Not even just that but two problems here - A) remember, we don't have universal healthcare here so lot's of people CAN'T go to a doctor. I realize that only makes it seem even better cuz then those people can't get guns even if they want to, if a doctor's order were required. HOWEVER. That part aside there's still two sides to it. First the DMV requires you to get an eye exam and you have to bring in the paper from that doctor before you can get a license. Thing is eye exams aren't that expensive to pay out of pocket cuz any eyeglass store has a doc in the backroom that will do it for like $40 cash. So in a way it isn't that unthinkable. On the OTHER hand you need to see a doctor to get prescription drugs like oxy and adderall and vicodin and whatever else the kids are on these days, and there are plenty of doctors who hand that shit out like candy. So the medical clearance to buy a weapon has problems on both sides.
    The next issue is the "list" of mentally unstable people. There's a couple problems here. First, 'lists" of this kind are always problematic. Remember, we've got a list here called the "sex offenders registry" and to call it "imperfect" would be an understatement. Our criminal Justice system is pretty fucked. So the same way an 18 year old can get put on this list for boning his 16 year old gf, a housewife with depression can get put on the 'mental health' list alongside the dishonourably discharged cop with paranoid schizophrenia and knowledge of weapons and a history of violence.

Plus lists/registries in general are a dangerous line.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

Yeah, that's a problem!

ldent42 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Not even just that but two problems here - A) remember, we don't have universal healthcare here so lot's of people CAN'T go to a doctor. I realize that only makes it seem even better cuz then those people can't get guns even if they want to, if a doctor's order were required. HOWEVER. That part aside there's still two sides to it. First the DMV requires you to get an eye exam and you have to bring in the paper from that doctor before you can get a license. Thing is eye exams aren't that expensive to pay out of pocket cuz any eyeglass store has a doc in the backroom that will do it for like $40 cash. So in a way it isn't that unthinkable. On the OTHER hand you need to see a doctor to get prescription drugs like oxy and adderall and vicodin and whatever else the kids are on these days, and there are plenty of doctors who hand that shit out like candy. So the medical clearance to buy a weapon has problems on both sides.
    The next issue is the "list" of mentally unstable people. There's a couple problems here. First, 'lists" of this kind are always problematic. Remember, we've got a list here called the "sex offenders registry" and to call it "imperfect" would be an understatement. Our criminal Justice system is pretty fucked. So the same way an 18 year old can get put on this list for boning his 16 year old gf, a housewife with depression can get put on the 'mental health' list alongside the dishonourably discharged cop with paranoid schizophrenia and knowledge of weapons and a history of violence.

Plus lists/registries in general are a dangerous line.
    Too many lawyers to argue that individual rights matter more. Too many lawyers, too much corporate lobbying, too many corrupt politicians, too much greed, etc, etc. Common sense is lacking in government, medicine, you name it.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    My concern is that there is literally millions of not billions of guns out there. A vast majority of them are in the hands of people that wish to do no harm to others, but I am willing to bet that if there are truly ISIS "terror cells" in the US, they have a stockpile of their own, probably enough to last centuries. Not only that, but technology is at a point where all the components to make them are readily available to those with even the lowest level of engineering knowledge. It seems to me that any kind of "ban" is not real logical and only a "feel good", bury your head in the sand type rhetoric. I fear that at this point, awareness is the only thing that is going to prevent loss of life in these situations. Awareness across the board, people need to be aware of where their firearms are, where their children are, what the crazy person standing next to them is doing, who is profiting from the media. A solid protest would be to cancel subscriptions when someone paints a picture of these assholes on the front page of their magazine. That is definitely one way of degrading a motive...
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    PJPOWER said:

My concern is that there is literally millions of not billions of guns out there. A vast majority of them are in the hands of people that wish to do no harm to others, but I am willing to bet that if there are truly ISIS "terror cells" in the US, they have a stockpile of their own, probably enough to last centuries. Not only that, but technology is at a point where all the components to make them are readily available to those with even the lowest level of engineering knowledge. It seems to me that any kind of "ban" is not real logical and only a "feel good", bury your head in the sand type rhetoric. I fear that at this point, awareness is the only thing that is going to prevent loss of life in these situations. Awareness across the board, people need to be aware of where their firearms are, where their children are, what the crazy person standing next to them is doing, who is profiting from the media. A solid protest would be to cancel subscriptions when someone paints a picture of these assholes on the front page of their magazine. That is definitely one way of degrading a motive...

Agreed on all counts.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Watched that skit many times but laugh my ass off each time. Sad it's true but just frames the state of mind.

All pro gun folks watch it.

Hey I watch fox from time to time just in case they have a point.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    I just watched it again. Funny shit.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    I thought this was a really good article. check it out for some good saturday reading:
    http://news.yahoo.com/five-ways-us-reduce-mass-shootings-133524659.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Who is this Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore? Pic is from this article http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michele-fiore-gun-christmas-card
    This is the kind of xmas cards some of your elected officials send?
    Our countries are on different planets when it comes to guns. Wow.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672

Who is this Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore? Pic is from this article http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michele-fiore-gun-christmas-card

But if you replaced that family with a holiday card of a mixed race lesbian couple with their adopted asian child people would go nuts
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    edited December 2015
    ^^^Luckily, Santa had the foresight to outsource all of the American homes to Rambo this year.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Who is this Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore? Pic is from this article http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michele-fiore-gun-christmas-card

With this picture... the side arguing for sweeping gun legislation wins!

A freaking home run!

One of the stupidest pictures I've ever seen. This is the type of picture that would typically be a spoof. Is it? If it is... the debate can continue. If not... it's over.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    Michigan girl, 7, killed and mother wounded by family friend - NY Daily News
    http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/michigan-girl-7-killed-mother-wounded-family-friend-article-1.2456288

Timothy Nelson Obeshaw had a valid concealed pistol license and a legal weapon, and is believed to have shot the mother and daughter

Guns don't kill people

Older white male gun owners with legally purchased and registered guns kill people.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

Who is this Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore? Pic is from this article http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michele-fiore-gun-christmas-card

I could be wrong, but I think she's the one who had a campaign ad, which I watched on line, in which she said something about "taking aim" at the (platform of) her opponent which then cut to her firing a gun. The context reasonably suggested violence toward him. Certainly a prize legislator.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • ^^^Luckily, Santa had the foresight to outsource all of the American homes to Rambo this year.

Good shit :rofl:
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Such a classy choice for a Christmas photo...I think if Trump got elected he would hang it in the Oval Offfice, it's really that classy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

That is fucked up.
  • u got into a fight..or u hate someone..the blood is under your head..
    and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home and take your gun which u have cos its legal..and easy to find..and return and u shoot the asshole..
    thats one scenario
    let take another scenario..

u got into a fight..or u hate someone..the blood is under your head..
    and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home ..and u dont have any gun..,and u cant find one,,and u dotn have money to buy one.and u are not allowed to buy one.,.and u start thinking..where to find a gun..?what to do?and if they caugh me with illigal gun before i shoot him??
    let take a moment..lets think about it...
    thats exactly the time u may need to cool things off and u not become a murderer
    was a fuckin bad moment,.lets cool itr off,,lets forget the asshole..lets calm..,no need to be fatal...
    maybe a few lifes would be saved ..just cos someone didnt have access to any gun at the heat of the moment..

They had PLENTY of time to plant the 3 bomb/IED's that didn't go off or the stash of them that were in their house.

They must have been angry for a while then...
    Sure..im talkimg in general..not those 2
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • rgambs said:

Such a classy choice for a Christmas photo...I think if Trump got elected he would hang it in the Oval Offfice, it's really that classy.
    No way, he's not in it! Have you seen his shrine to himself in his office? It's quite the sight.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    More is not necessarily better. That guy is a moron and he should have his license revoked at the very least.
  • dudeman said:

More is not necessarily better. That guy is a moron and he should have his license revoked at the very least.

But this is the thing that begs tighter regulations: morons run rampant.

If you could centralize the morons and let the morons act like morons in Moronville... no intervention necessary; however, as it stands, morons are strewn about everywhere doing moroinic things while they moron about among people with half a brain.

I'd even say the moron is the majority.

Maybe an IQ test as part of a background check?

"Hey Cletus... didjya git ur gun?"
    "Nah, Jim Bob Cooter. I couldn't git it. The folks at that der office building gave me some sort of test that said I couldn't. I reckon I'll go git mahself one of dem der slingshots."
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.