America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    There was a terrorist on the cover of Rolling Stone??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    PJ_Soul said:

The Boston Marathon Bomber.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    Anything to sell copies. That's the American way.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.
    holy shit. I didn't know that. just reinforces my previous position of stop making these fucking guys famous.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.
    holy shit. I didn't know that. just reinforces my previous position of stop making these fucking guys famous.

If I recall correctly... they kind of made him appear like Jim Morrison.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • u got into a fight..or u hate someone..the blood is under your head..
    and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home and take your gun which u have cos its legal..and easy to find..and return and u shoot the asshole..
    thats one scenario
    let take another scenario..

u got into a fight..or u hate someone..the blood is under your head..
    and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home ..and u dont have any gun..,and u cant find one,,and u dotn have money to buy one.and u are not allowed to buy one.,.and u start thinking..where to find a gun..?what to do?and if they caugh me with illigal gun before i shoot him??
    let take a moment..lets think about it...
    thats exactly the time u may need to cool things off and u not become a murderer
    was a fuckin bad moment,.lets cool itr off,,lets forget the asshole..lets calm..,no need to be fatal...
    maybe a few lifes would be saved ..just cos someone didnt have access to any gun at the heat of the moment..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.

Yes. They made him out to be a sex symbol.

and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home and take your gun which u have cos its legal..and easy to find..and return and u shoot the asshole..
    thats one scenario

and in the moment,,u say..ill kill the son of the bitch....and u go home ..and u dont have any gun..,and u cant find one,,and u dotn have money to buy one.and u are not allowed to buy one.,.and u start thinking..where to find a gun..?what to do?and if they caugh me with illigal gun before i shoot him??
    thats exactly the time u may need to cool things off and u not become a murderer
    was a fuckin bad moment,.lets cool itr off,,lets forget the asshole..lets calm..,no need to be fatal...
    maybe a few lifes would be saved ..just cos someone didnt have access to any gun at the heat of the moment..

Yes, agreed. Heat of the moment shootings would definitely go way down if fewer people had guns.
    (although that doesn't seem like the case in this particular shooting. The man went home and got his wife, and they both dressed up in combat gear. They had also dropped off their kid with family earlier in the day. That isn't behaviour that they thought of spur of the moment!)
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Remember getting copy of rolling stone(got couple issues free for ordering from place) and saw dick on cover. Happen to be trash day and threw directly in trash can.

Think how CNN and Fox are profiting from terrorism.

Wonder if we should ignore these events. 24 hour news sure has helped the terrorists. Have police hunt them down but brief mention.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.

I cancelled my subscription right after receiving that issue.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • u got into a fight..or u hate someone..the blood is under your head..
    thats one scenario

They had PLENTY of time to plant the 3 bomb/IED's that didn't go off or the stash of them that were in their house.

They must have been angry for a while then...
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    dudeman said:

Anything to sell copies. That's the American way.

I think you meant the greedy corporate way. I'd bet there are similar greedy corporate fuckers outside America too...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/56608755e4b08e945fee73e5
    Regardless, the amendment meant to improve funding for services treating mental illness and substance abuse disorders failed in a 47-52 vote. The measure blocking individuals suspected of terrorism from purchasing guns and explosives failed 45-54. In what was primarily a party-line vote, a couple of senators defected. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) voted with Republicans against the amendment, while Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) joined Democrats in supporting it.
    The final gun control-related measure pushed by Democrats failed in a 48-50 vote. The amendment, offered by Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), would have expanded background checks for people purchasing firearms at gun shows and on the Internet. It was the same bill Manchin introduced with Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) in 2013 in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting. Four Republicans, including Toomey, joined Democrats in voting for the measure on Thursday: Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), John McCain (R-Ariz.), and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.). Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) didn't vote.
    :murica:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8707916
    I want gun ownership to be as boring and annoying as car ownership. I want you to go to some Department of Weapons and sit for hours. I want folks who own guns to prove their skill, their mental and physical health, and to be licensed and reviewed over the years just as happens with our driver's licenses. You earn the right to own and drive a vehicle; earn the right to own and use a gun.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited December 2015
    Umm last I renewed all I needed was the fee, good hearing, and good eyesight to get my new drivers license. You only have to prove your driving skills when you're 16. That's why we have 80 year olds running people over "accidentally" hitting the gas instead of the brake... No skills review. Why not have driving tests every 5-10 years or something??
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.

Kay, I looked up the cover... It is really really wring that they put the guy on the cover, but sex symbol? Jim Morrison? Huh? It's just a photo of a guy who has longish curly hair.
  • PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Well that's stupid.

Kay, I looked up the cover... It is really really wring that they put the guy on the cover, but sex symbol? Jim Morrison? Huh? It's just a photo of a guy who has longish curly hair.
    Glamorizing a mass murderer? Yes... it's morally wrong. They can do it to sell their rag... but if people choose not to buy it or cancel their subscription... that's their right as a consumer.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=1

How They Got Their Guns

The guns used in 15 recent mass shootings, including the attack in San Bernardino, were bought legally. At least eight gunmen had criminal histories or documented mental health problems that did not prevent them from obtaining their weapons.
    dignin said:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html?_r=1

How They Got Their Guns

The guns used in 15 recent mass shootings, including the attack in San Bernardino, were bought legally. At least eight gunmen had criminal histories or documented mental health problems that did not prevent them from obtaining their weapons.

This is clearly a major problem and there should absolutely be legislation to stop it. A big issue now though is medical records privacy etc. Our society has really moved to a place where we try not to label people with mental health issues in a negative way. I believe the pendulum has swung to far in that direction and there has to be a reasonable way to prevent gun sales to this population.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BS44325 said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

This is clearly a major problem and there should absolutely be legislation to stop it. A big issue now though is medical records privacy etc. Our society has really moved to a place where we try not to label people with mental health issues in a negative way. I believe the pendulum has swung to far in that direction and there has to be a reasonable way to prevent gun sales to this population.
    Hello Patriot act part Deux!!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

California has pretty strict gun laws. France even stricter. They did not prevent these attacks. Confront the ideology.

It doesn't matter how strict their laws are...there is no border check when you enter California to make sure your weapons adhere to CA laws. Until there is national law your argument is weak.
    France had national law. So did Belgium yet it didn't stop the Paris Attacks. Also we don't know yet where the San Bernadino guns came from. Were they purchased in California? If that's the case then a Federal law would not have made a difference. Again most of you are speaking as if their is some mythical loophole that is currently not being enforced. If new laws are your agenda then someone somewhere please list one that would actually have an impact!
    You do get the fact the EU citizens have little to no checks on cross border travel within the EU? So really its a similar set up to the across state lines travel we enjoy here.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

California has pretty strict gun laws. France even stricter. They did not prevent these attacks. Confront the ideology.

It doesn't matter how strict their laws are...there is no border check when you enter California to make sure your weapons adhere to CA laws. Until there is national law your argument is weak.
    France had national law. So did Belgium yet it didn't stop the Paris Attacks. Also we don't know yet where the San Bernadino guns came from. Were they purchased in California? If that's the case then a Federal law would not have made a difference. Again most of you are speaking as if their is some mythical loophole that is currently not being enforced. If new laws are your agenda then someone somewhere please list one that would actually have an impact!
    You do get the fact the EU citizens have little to no checks on cross border travel within the EU? So really its a similar set up to the across state lines travel we enjoy here.
    I do get that but I am pretty sure the gun laws of the two countries are relatively the same. I have assumed (but actually don't know) that all of those guns were purchased illegally.
    edited December 2015

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

That is exactly the problem! Always a civil liberties trade off and I guarantee physicians will not like any "must report" criteria for good reason.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

How They Got Their Guns

Not the same thing at all. Mass surveillance of Americans vs. background checks to buy a dangerous product.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2015
    So now they are saying that these guns were bought legally in the state of California, a state with some of the most strict of gun laws... They were not shipped in from another state, sold at a gun show, they passed background checks, did not buy them online, etc... People with a motive will find a means, how do you prevent a motive??? Maybe social media is perpetuating this violence, should we do a background check before people create a Facebook account?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    PJPOWER said:

So now they are saying that these guns were bought legally in the state of California, a state with some of the most strict of gun laws... They were not shipped in from another state, sold at a gun show, they passed background checks, did not buy them online, etc... People with a motive will find a means, how do you prevent a motive??? Maybe social media is perpetuating this violence, should we do a background check before people create a Facebook account?

yes, bought legally as the laws are now. people are wanting more stringent background checks, mental health checks, etc etc.

you should have to get a referral from your doctor before you can get one.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.