America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    very interesting web site. I've only had one that was 3.5 miles away. Two people were injured and the shooter was eventually caught.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    edited December 2015
    2 shootings. 1 fatal one nonfatal. Closest 1.65 miles away.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    I had 1 shooting non fatal .38 miles away.

Better head to the gun shop and load up on all the semi-automatic assault rifles they'll sell me.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Ident, my results are almost ident to yours.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    1 non-fatal 10 miles away. Closer than I expected out here in the hills!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

Ident, my results are almost ident to yours.

:giggle::smiley:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is the middle ground between between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge." Oh wait, wrong show . . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited December 2015
    Check out the lesson she says she learned, lmao.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/michigan-woman-pouts-after-losing-gun-permit-for-shooting-at-shoplifters-i-will-never-help-anybody-again/

She is reportedly a sharp shooter. I bet she was considered a very responsible gun owner down at the range.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    Shooting at shoplifters?!!

Lucky for them they werent jaywalking also!!
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    I can't believe how someone can reconcile the use of deadly force to protect merchandise from a big box store.

I'm glad she has lost access to firearms.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • The article states "Rochester Hills District Court Judge Julie Nicholson said she did not believe Duva-Rodriguez had malicious intent when she fired on the suspects"

ok, then
  • PJ_Soul said:

Check out the lesson she says she learned, lmao.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/michigan-woman-pouts-after-losing-gun-permit-for-shooting-at-shoplifters-i-will-never-help-anybody-again/

She is reportedly a sharp shooter. I bet she was considered a very responsible gun owner down at the range.

Someone this moronic is a threat to society… I don't understand the thinking of people sometimes...

The article states "Rochester Hills District Court Judge Julie Nicholson said she did not believe Duva-Rodriguez had malicious intent when she fired on the suspects"

ok, then

Right??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Yeah, we do know that the gun violence rate in Canada is not 0.
    PJ_Soul said:

Right, there hasn't been 355 incidents that involved 4 or more victims has there this year so far, is that right?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

Right, there hasn't been 355 incidents that involved 4 or more victims has there this year so far, is that right?
    Watch that statistic bud. some of those "victims" was actually the shooter.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:
    Do Canada's gun laws qualify as "tough" in a global context?

This post seems out of character for you. I don't think of you as someone who takes a single event and conflates it with a much larger, very complex issue.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

This post seems out of character for you. I don't think of you as someone who takes a single event and conflates it with a much larger, very complex issue.
    Where the fuck have you been?

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

You are 100% right on that...good on you (not sarcastic). The only reason I posted this is that from an American perspective most people consider Canadian gun laws to be tough in a global context (which I believe they are in terms of handguns with which most violence occurs) and because of that gun violence is extremely rare up here. My point is that American media will not generally report Canadian shootings where as Canadians receive media coverage of every American shooting. It makes it appear as if violence only occurs in America where anyone living in Toronto can tell you that there has been a very large uptick in the frequency of shootings. This doesn't mean we are on the same level but it does show that even within our Canadian culture of limited gun access shootings can still be on the rise. It is a complex issue and additional gun laws will not always be the answer to reducing gun violence.
    mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Where the fuck have you been?
    He's been paying attention. Gambs and I disagree often but I actually think he knows me pretty well.
  • BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

You are 100% right on that...good on you (not sarcastic). The only reason I posted this is that from an American perspective most people consider Canadian gun laws to be tough in a global context (which I believe they are in terms of handguns with which most violence occurs) and because of that gun violence is extremely rare up here. My point is that American media will not generally report Canadian shootings where as Canadians receive media coverage of every American shooting. It makes it appear as if violence only occurs in America where anyone living in Toronto can tell you that there has been a very large uptick in the frequency of shootings. This doesn't mean we are on the same level but it does show that even within our Canadian culture of limited gun access shootings can still be on the rise. It is a complex issue and additional gun laws will not always be the answer to reducing gun violence.
    Sorry but Toronto's gun crime rates are insignificant when compared to similar cities in the US. In 2015 we've had approximately 220 gun-related crimes with 339 victims. Compare that to a city like Chicago where have been something like 2800 shooting victims in 2015 and Toronto's numbers seem laughable. It's even more extreme when you consider that Toronto has had about 22 gun-related fatalities this year as opposed to the 420 in Chicago. Considering that Chicago's population is only marginally larger than Toronto's that's a pretty significant difference when it comes to gun crime.

Put it this way; despite an increase in the number of gun crimes in Toronto I'm happy to live in a society where gun ownership is frowned upon and gun homicide rates are significantly lower. Gun laws may not be the answer in the US but I'm glad we have them here in Canada.

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

Sorry but Toronto's gun crime rates are insignificant when compared to similar cities in the US. In 2015 we've had approximately 220 gun-related crimes with 339 victims. Compare that to a city like Chicago where have been something like 2800 shooting victims in 2015 and Toronto's numbers seem laughable. It's even more extreme when you consider that Toronto has had about 22 gun-related fatalities this year as opposed to the 420 in Chicago. Considering that Chicago's population is only marginally larger than Toronto's that's a pretty significant difference when it comes to gun crime.

Put it this way; despite an increase in the number of gun crimes in Toronto I'm happy to live in a society where gun ownership is frowned upon and gun homicide rates are significantly lower. Gun laws may not be the answer in the US but I'm glad we have them here in Canada.
    Of course Toronto's homicide rate is insignificant compared to Chicago...most places are. The question is why? It is not simply laws or access to handguns. Illegal handguns can be obtained on the streets of Toronto as we are seeing more frequently. My point is that calling for more gun laws actually dodges the complex social issues at play which are often harder to tackle. These issues including poverty, education, employment, gang culture, the breakdown of the family unit etc. Toronto has done a fantastic job with these issues while Chicago under 70 years of one-party rule has failed miserably.
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
    I think that Americans have a problem looking to other nations for some good lessons.
    PJ_Soul said:

I think that Americans have a problem looking to other nations for some good lessons.

In many areas. Our arrogance prevents this.

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    There are other nations?
    :murica:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    ldent42 said:

There are other nations?
    :murica:

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    Anyone heard of the new survey that says the majority of Americans oppose a new "assault weapons" ban?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
This discussion has been closed.