America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    How about the one where the 12 yr old boy shot his 11 yr old class mate and killed her. Did ya hear that one?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    That's fucked up.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/florida-mom-shoots-daughter-dead-after-mistaking-her-for-an-intruder/

This type of killing will become more prevalent the more we use the "good guy with a gun" excuse
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/florida-mom-shoots-daughter-dead-after-mistaking-her-for-an-intruder/

This type of killing will become more prevalent the more we use the "good guy with a gun" excuse

Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Or the less people eschew the notion of actually knowing what they're shooting at before reaching for the trigger. Knowing your target and what's behind it is absolutely critical.

More people with guns that shouldn't have them.
  • http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/florida-mom-shoots-daughter-dead-after-mistaking-her-for-an-intruder/

Dudeman touched on this too. It's like in hunting, you SEE what you are shooting at...
  • dudeman said:

Or the less people eschew the notion of actually knowing what they're shooting at before reaching for the trigger. Knowing your target and what's behind it is absolutely critical.

More people with guns that shouldn't have them.

That only comes with experience or training. The idea that "good guys" need guns is dangerous. Unless you advocate federal regulations that require licensing/training, etc. like you have to do for a driver's license (at a minimum)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Funny, I thought it came with common sense. To fire a weapon at something or someone that has not been identified is beyond stupid behavior.

I hope that the woman in the story was arrested and is facing criminal charges.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    If its a non violent crime,absolutely. Some guy who gets busted with an oz has just a right to defend his life as you or me. The justice system is broke because law breakers are grouped as a whole and not separate according to the crime. Assault weapons isnt the problem. Its not doing a thourogh background check.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:

Funny, I thought it came with common sense. To fire a weapon at something or someone that has not been identified is beyond stupid behavior.

Common sense doesn't exist in "emergency" situations. Without training, 9 out of 10 people will panic and do something stupid when they think they are in danger.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Common sense doesn't exist in "emergency" situations. Without training, 9 out of 10 people will panic and do something stupid when they think they are in danger.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.
    This is why soldiers train. This is why pilots train. Police train. Athletes train.
    So when you are placed in these intense situations the training takes over. All of those four professions would 100% agree on that and often state it publicly. You take an average person and put them in an intense situation where their gun is needed and most will make mistakes.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    Soooo traaaaain the kids.

If all the kids had guns... when another kid was pointing a gun at them... they could shoot the kid before the kid 'accidentally' shot them.

It's that simple.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

mickeyrat said:

If all the kids had guns... when another kid was pointing a gun at them... they could shoot the kid before the kid 'accidentally' shot them.

It's that simple.
    Or don't leave guns unattended and accessible to kids. People who allow kids access to firearms thus resulting in someone getting hurt should be investigated, arrested and tried. There is no excuse for that degree of negligence.
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

It's that simple.
    Or don't leave guns unattended and accessible to kids. People who allow kids access to firearms thus resulting in someone getting hurt should be investigated, arrested and tried. There is no excuse for that degree of negligence.
    Securing weapons against children makes them useless for self-defense unless you live with your gun strapped to you skin.
    edited January 2016
    That's not true.

There are plenty of quick access safes on the market. Some use biometric locks. Some others open with an RFID card or fob.

A gun locked in one of those can be accessed in about two seconds.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    dudeman said:

That's not true.

There are plenty of quick access safes on the market. Some use biometric locks. I've seen others that open with an RFID card or fob.

A gun locked in one of those can be accessed in about two seconds.

An RFID or fob would allow a child to access it in the same number of seconds. Biometric locks??? Yeah right, might as well say people could use a robot to defend their home for them, that's just as likely to be used widely.
    You clearly haven't researched what responsible people are using to secure their firearms. Biometric locks are quite common on gun safes these days.

One would also be an idiot if they left their RFID gun safe key lying about where kids could find it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited January 2016
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    dudeman said:

You clearly haven't researched what responsible people are using to secure their firearms. Biometric locks are quite common on gun safes these days.

One would also be an idiot if they left their RFID gun safe key lying about where kids could find it.

Do you have one? I know dozens of folks with guns and none of them have or even want (to my knowledge) one.
    Unless you have it secured a child can get into it, kids get into everything possible. If it is secured it is useless.
  • dudeman said:

I have a 16 gun safe where most of my guns stay and a biometric safe in the bedroom for easy access if needed. I know quite a few people who have them and love them for their ease of use and convenience. Not trying to argue or be controversial just adding my input. Have no experience with the rfid safes
    I have biometric and RFID safes and the guys I shoot with that have kids in the house do too.

For me, it's a necessary purchase just like electrical outlet covers, child safety gates and door knob locks.
  • dudeman said:

I have biometric and RFID safes and the guys I shoot with that have kids in the house do too.

For me, it's a necessary purchase just like electrical outlet covers, child safety gates and door knob locks.

These safes are great even if you don't use them for guns. With the ease of use, it is convenient to put documents, jewelry or any other valuables that will fit.
  • dudeman said:

I was always taught to "NOT TOUCH THEM EVER!!!" and I didn't.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

dudeman said:

Right. And every year hundreds of thousands of kids are taught the same thing, and given the opportunity most do touch them, and a not insignificant number shoot themselves or someone else.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

dudeman said:

I was taught the same thing but my parents were smart enough to make sure that there were never guns just lying around.

Safe gun storage practice is a serious thing and in my house, it involves education, attentiveness and using the right equipment.

dudeman said:

Right. And every year hundreds of thousands of kids are taught the same thing, and given the opportunity most do touch them, and a not insignificant number shoot themselves or someone else.
    This is a problem for sure. People who leave guns where kids can find them should be investigated, arrested and tried in court.
    Are Obama's executive actions going to drive the gun violence numbers down?
This discussion has been closed.