America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Fwiw: all guns were legally bought a few years ago. Background checks were a ok.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    90 people die every single day because of gun violence in America ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • 90 people die every single day because of gun violence in America ...

Soooo. What can we do to fix it? I'm sure this question has been asked countless times on here.

Do we remove all guns from people like in Australia?

Do we make it extremely difficult to own one like Canada?

Do we start changing the gun culture?

Do we limit the amount of violence on TV?

Can people post answers?

I'm really curious.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2015
    BS44325 said:

imalive said:

BS44325 said:

imalive said:

>1 mass shooting (4 or more dead or injured) for every day so far this year.

I don't want your hunting rifles but, for gods sake, could we do some background checks and keep people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns?

it's all about the motherfucking NRA lobby and the politicians who lack the spine to say no.

Do we know if any of the murderers were on a watch list? Why shout when you don't have the facts.
    no, dude, I don't.....but is a fact that our politicians are scared to death of the the gun lobby....whose main goal is profit for gun manufacturers....sell anything, to anybody, anytime.
    No. Their goal is to protect the rights of citizens to defend themselves.
    Bullshit. Money and votes. Period.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2015
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Remember when elementary school kids got mowed down at school and nothing ever happened? Yeah, me too.

We will be outraged, we will mourn, we will talk about action, we will move on and then it will happen again.

I wish horrible horrible deaths on everyone involved with the gun lobby. I am sure this will go over very well with many but the lobby has so much blood on their hands.

If this was done by Islamists will you wish horrible horrible deaths on all of them as well?
    On all of who? The gun lobby is directly responsible for thousands of deaths, regardless of the race/religion of these people
    Well if your only concern is going after the gun lobby as opposed to the perpetrators and their ideology (whatever that might be) then attacks like these will always continue. As you said "we will be outraged, we will mourn, we will talk about action, we will move on and then it will happen again".
    Whats this "we" shit? You dont live in this country.
    Up here we kind of like to nip things.
    Kind of like keeping that shit over in the east.
    Keep that shit south please and deal with it.
    We don't want it spilling over our friendly border.
    Until you force the Biebs back home , all bets are off!!!!!
    Know I shouldn't bust out laughing in this somber thread time but this is funny!!
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,718
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/opinion/on-guns-were-not-even-trying.html

Pay close attention to where the NRA opposes restrictions for people on the terrorism watch list. They are truly vile human beings

Soooo. What can we do to fix it? I'm sure this question has been asked countless times on here.

Can people post answers?

I'm really curious.

Nothing to do these events will just keep on happening nothing will be done just get used to it I know I'm used to just saying another day in the wild Wild West ....
  • mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Remember when elementary school kids got mowed down at school and nothing ever happened? Yeah, me too.

We will be outraged, we will mourn, we will talk about action, we will move on and then it will happen again.

I wish horrible horrible deaths on everyone involved with the gun lobby. I am sure this will go over very well with many but the lobby has so much blood on their hands.

If this was done by Islamists will you wish horrible horrible deaths on all of them as well?
    On all of who? The gun lobby is directly responsible for thousands of deaths, regardless of the race/religion of these people
    Well if your only concern is going after the gun lobby as opposed to the perpetrators and their ideology (whatever that might be) then attacks like these will always continue. As you said "we will be outraged, we will mourn, we will talk about action, we will move on and then it will happen again".
    Whats this "we" shit? You dont live in this country.
    So one shouldn't be concerned?

Weren't you outspoken for the world's moral responsibility to assist with the Syrian refugee crisis?
    You may or may not recall I never interjected with what Canada ought to do. I confined it to the nation I am citizen of and rightly have a say in.
    Well sure, but you became pretty impassioned over the fortunes of people from another country.

Yet here, you become indignant towards others for doing the same thing.

You don't see how you are inconsistent in this particular instance?
    Yes, I am impassioned about that subject as well as others where I see a direct role in my countries foreign policy. Its about accountability. Really where I take umbrage is our friend consistently posting not opinion only but as if he has a direct say in it. He does not. Frankly I welcome the outside observers viewpoints generally. It provides a different prospective. From our friend though, I can watch fox news to get his take. No thanks.
    You weren't very specific in your post and if you took note... several decent, caring people were taken aback with your words.

People on here care about a lot of things- from wolves to tigers to sharks to Syrians and... Americans too.
    to be fair, it was a response to a specific quoted post. Now I will concede that within the quoted post the words of another poster. So I was off base on that instance. However, my point holds with that person in general. "We" is thrown around enough to specific problems here. He cant own that shit. We , the citizens of this country , have to own it. And rightfully so. Much as I wish it were different on many fronts. Until we fully own our shit, it doesnt change.
    As I've said before WE are global citizens. Interconnected and affected by each other's actions. Also I recognize that it is American leadership that provides for my security and I passionately believe that as goes America so goes the world. I wish I lived in a bigger country that could handle the job but unfortunately I don't. I know I'll never have a vote but I will always try to have a say. Ignore me if you like.
    Global citizens for a uniquely American problem? Got it.
    Did it occur to you that many if not most of us have friends and relatives in America? Not only do I care about American lives generally but I'm speaking on behalf of my brother and his family who have lived in Virginia for the past ten years. Do you deny me that right?

• Nothing to do these events will just keep on happening nothing will be done just get used to it I know I'm used to just saying another day in the wild Wild West ....

Actually, as i learned yesterday, the Wild West was not as "wild" as one might think. They had some stricter gun laws than today, apparently, and for a reason.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/7/23/1112703/-De-mythologizing-the-Wild-West-gun-laws-were-actually-stricter-then-than-now

I found that interesting.

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Syed Farook was one of the shooters. I'm shocked, I thought for sure it would've been some guy named Sol Rosenthal.

Syed Farook was one of the shooters. I'm shocked, I thought for sure it would've been some guy named Sol Rosenthal.

http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

• http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/gunned-down/

This is a great documentary. It provides a lot of detail behind the NRA from when it was formed to the present when it is a massive lobbying group buying up politicians so that gun manufacturers sell guns.

Keep in mind that recent polls of NRA members reflect that those members favor stronger gun laws and background checks.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

Can people post answers?

I'm really curious.

it's not fixable ... it's the world we've allowed to happen ... all in the name of greed ...

this isn't about gun laws, terrorism, video games or tv ... it's about the evil in people who recognize that people are so easily manipulated ... they play russian roulette with our lives daily and the only ones who will suffer are the masses ...

14 people died yesterday because 3 people were driven to kill these people for reasons we don't really know ... these lives didn't matter to these people ... just as the lives of all of us don't matter ... we may be focused on the innocent people in recent tragedies like Paris and in California ... but this is the harsh reality of the world we live in ... your life, my life, most people's lives here don't matter in the grand scheme of things to the people that are most responsible for these crimes ... they aren't christian or muslim or white or black ... they are people who's greed supersedes everything ...

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    California has pretty strict gun laws. France even stricter. They did not prevent these attacks. Confront the ideology.
  • BS44325 said:

California has pretty strict gun laws. France even stricter. They did not prevent these attacks. Confront the ideology.

It doesn't matter how strict their laws are...there is no border check when you enter California to make sure your weapons adhere to CA laws. Until there is national law your argument is weak.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

BS44325 said:

It doesn't matter how strict their laws are...there is no border check when you enter California to make sure your weapons adhere to CA laws. Until there is national law your argument is weak.
    France had national law. So did Belgium yet it didn't stop the Paris Attacks. Also we don't know yet where the San Bernadino guns came from. Were they purchased in California? If that's the case then a Federal law would not have made a difference. Again most of you are speaking as if their is some mythical loophole that is currently not being enforced. If new laws are your agenda then someone somewhere please list one that would actually have an impact!
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

Smellyman said:

BS44325 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So if I read this right you don't like the gun lobby?
    You are correct.
    So your solution to end senseless killing is wish horrible deaths on all involved in the gun lobby?
    It really is outrageous. It wouldn't be ok if someone said "planned parenthood has a lot of blood on their hands so I wish horrible horrible deaths on they're employees" so I'm not sure why this is ok.
    That is actually said quite a bit by those on the right.
    No actually...it isn't.
    No, it isn't. I don't think I have ever seen an anti-abortionist here on the boards say anything like that, and I think only the fringe far-right think that. Yes, they exist, but they're fanaticals. Saying it happens quite a bit on the right is not fair.
    (But I am thinking maybe Cliffy was just being emotional in reaction to yet another shooting and didn't mean what he said literally)
    I'm thinking you are probably correct, that's not to say I don't think they aren't repulsive and horrible human beings.
    They are horrible, and complicit.
    Ahhh...so now you're ok with the concept of being complicit. Interesting.
    Oh? You really want to bring the BDS stuff up here? Still waiting for that evidence

Please don't start that shite up again! Clearly not relevant to this thread
    I agree, not relevant at all, someone is trying to make it relevant. One track mind.
    Please...you brought up complicity. I am just pointing out your inconsistencies.
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

imalive said:

>1 mass shooting (4 or more dead or injured) for every day so far this year.

I don't want your hunting rifles but, for gods sake, could we do some background checks and keep people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns?

it's all about the motherfucking NRA lobby and the politicians who lack the spine to say no.

Do we know if any of the murderers were on a watch list? Why shout when you don't have the facts.
    Oh the hypocrisy, you just posted on the other thread that this was most likely Islamic terrorists.

Or is that a fact?
    The news is saying fact but zero discussion of whether suspects were on a watch list.
    Link?
  • BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

France had national law. So did Belgium yet it didn't stop the Paris Attacks. Also we don't know yet where the San Bernadino guns came from. Were they purchased in California? If that's the case then a Federal law would not have made a difference. Again most of you are speaking as if their is some mythical loophole that is currently not being enforced. If new laws are your agenda then someone somewhere please list one that would actually have an impact!
    I'm not speaking that way....I'm just pointing out that the argument of how strong CA guns laws are (or aren't) makes no difference when there aren't national gun laws.

edited December 2015
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

• BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

I'm not speaking that way....I'm just pointing out that the argument of how strong CA guns laws are (or aren't) makes no difference when there aren't national gun laws.
    When guns can be purchased at flea markets in other states... you are correct.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

When guns can be purchased at flea markets in other states... you are correct.
    exactly....the right is always yapping about Chicago's gun laws yet anyone can buy a gun in Gary, IN and drive it to Chicago. Give me a break.

• BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Can't believe the UK is lower than us! I find this a little unlikely?

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

I think this chart is only 1 year. Maybe that's it?
  • BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

I think this chart is only 1 year. Maybe that's it?
    Guess we had a bad year so! Or else I'm in denial :p
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239

Nobody is denying that or isn't aware of that. Care and concern about guns are not only shared when there are mass shootings. Obviously you need only turn on the news every night to see that guns are a big, big problem.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    These mass shootings make fear driven gun owners cling to their guns more.
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited December 2015
    I'm beyond looking for answers to this mess I'm resigned that for as long as o live here in this country I'll have to be vigilant of my sorroundings , once in ready to retire and kids are independent of me I'm getting the fuck out of here .....that's if I don't get killed by one of the mass shooters that happen every week ....
    Post edited by josevolution on
    While larger shootings might be on the rise gun violence as a whole is actually on the decline:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/03/weve-had-a-massive-decline-in-gun-violence-in-the-united-states-heres-why/?tid=sm_tw

If we know why general violence is decreasing with the same access to guns we should be asking ourselves why mass shootings are increasing.
    The simple reasons are lack of treatment for mental health, terrorism, and 24 hour news coverage i.e. we occasionally make celebrities of both the mentally ill shooter as well as the Islamist. Before we confiscate guns maybe we should stop putting terrorists on the cover of the Rolling Stone.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    There you go!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
This discussion has been closed.