Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,045
    edited August 2019
    So are semi automatic weapons illegal in any country represented in this thread?  What about ar-15 s or ak47’s?  Illegal in any country? Honest question. 
    I know ar-15 s are legal in Canada.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:
    So are semi automatic weapons illegal in any country represented in this thread?  What about ar-15 s or ak47’s?  Illegal in any country? Honest question. 

They are legal in Canada, but are restricted firearms so there is a more stringent application and review process than for regular firearms and limits on the mag size, where they can be shot, and how they can be transported.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    That gun should be banned as well.  No excuse for that gun to be allowed in Canada...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,561
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    In general I think these are legal in Sweden under the shooting-range/shooting-club license (if the shooting-club is approved to include these rifles)  or I guess can be approved through the collectors-licence. But you have to make a case for the purpose of them. And I think they have to be modded to not shoot automatic but single round.

https://youtu.be/X-e1-UemY_I

If you are in the Swedish "national guard/home guard"(?) you are allowed to have an AK-4 (Automatkarbin 4:a) at home. My friends dad had one at home when we were kids. I remember renting The Last Action Hero at his place when it came out on VHS. We also ate pizza and drank fanta. 

" It has since been replaced by the Ak 5 (Automatkarbin 5; a modified version of the FN FNC) in the regular army. Ak 4B and Ak 4OR, some times in combination with the M203 grenade launcher, is still in use in Hemvärnet – Nationella skyddsstyrkorna ("Swedish Home Guard")."
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So now when all reublicans/pundits suddenly go out blaming videogames at the same time (including Trump) - isn't the "here is the best talking point we can come up with this time, to not have to do anything - stick to it" way to obvious for anyone to even consider them as an option?

I mean. "AOC is having to many opinions, she needs to be reeled in" can't be seen as something bad in a democracy in comparison to the other side with "the exact same opinion, spoonfed to them"

Come on.

Here is Biden on the issue of videogames:

Here is Hillary:

(But people vote for Trump and republicans and in affect the NRA and mass shootings)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Former boss at Nintendo of America:

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Come on guys, pray harder.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I can agree with the "more thoughts" part of that, assuming that the thoughts are actually reality based thoughts about effective gun control. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,829
    mrussel1 said:

I can agree with the "more thoughts" part of that, assuming that the thoughts are actually reality based thoughts about effective gun control. 
    That would truly be a prayer on your part. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That would truly be a prayer on your part. 

I don't have those. It would be a hope, though a faint one. 
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    Not much media coverage (or discussion on this board for that matter) of the seven people shot dead and forty-six people wounded in Chicago over the weekend. That’s strange. Is murder and gun violence just accepted in Chicago at this point? Or is there just no way to politicize it like the Texas and Ohio shootings so why bother covering it? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,780
    I did hear some discussion while watching MSNBC. It appears the Ohio tragedy may not have been political but they are still investigating. I'd like to see more coverage on all networks of the protests. I've seen a little but if they aren't covered, it's not going to help. The People Need To Be Heard......
    Be safe.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Not much media coverage (or discussion on this board for that matter) of the seven people shot dead and forty-six people wounded in Chicago over the weekend. That’s strange. Is murder and gun violence just accepted in Chicago at this point? Or is there just no way to politicize it like the Texas and Ohio shootings so why bother covering it? 
    How many different people pulled the trigger on those seven people?  That's over the course of a weekend, in a terrible area of a major city.   Why aren't we talking about the five killed in Richmond, VA over the weekend?  You could broaden the topic even more and ask why aren't we talking about the several hundred dead across the United States over the weekend as well.  The difference is one individual (in Texas, for example) walking into a store with a weapon of war doing this in the matter of minutes.  My guess is that the handguns used in Chicago could not achieve the same level of destruction in the same period of time, as the assault rifle.  There's a difference and a problem that could be reduced (not solved) with the banning of the weapon.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,045
    Was it a white male trump supporter armed with an “assault weapon” that pulled the trigger?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Was it a white male trump supporter armed with an “assault weapon” that pulled the trigger?  
    Who needs Fox and Friends with commentary like this.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,004
    Discuss away.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/last-72-hours

Stop the straw purchasing of firearms in the shangra la of indianer and you’ll see a drop in gun violence in Chicago. Fully fund the ATF to investigate and prosecute straw buyers and gun shops and start holding those “responsible” gun owners accountable and you’ll see a drop in gun violence. But Moscow Mitchy Baby is a wholly owned subsidiary of the NRA. Nothing can be done.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    It was brought up yesterday by @Meltdown99 , page 516, but got ‘shot’ down rather quickly as it wasn’t a mass shooting using an assault weapon. At that point, the reported numbers were not as high, reported now with 7 dead, 52 wounded in 32 separate incidents. That’s insanity! And worthy of discussion here.
  • Options
    Kat said:
    I did hear some discussion while watching MSNBC. It appears the Ohio tragedy may not have been political but they are still investigating. I'd like to see more coverage on all networks of the protests. I've seen a little but if they aren't covered, it's not going to help. The People Need To Be Heard......
    Be safe.

I am wondering if it was a domestic issue...his sister was one of the first he murdered...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Be safe.

I am wondering if it was a domestic issue...his sister was one of the first he murdered...
    Yeah, he actually went there with his sister and killed her right away.  Seems targeted.  I can't even imagine what the parents are feeling right now.  Beyond comprehension.  
  • Options
    Kat said:
    Be safe.

Crazy.
  • Options
    Apparently, we cannot discuss other shootings here unless it's considered a mass shooting...at least that's the impression I got when some dude was flapping his gums after I posted all the Chicago shootings.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    Politicize?  How is discussing ways to reduce violent mass murders politicizing?  I realize that is how the right wing wants to frame it but get real.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:
    Be safe.

Yeah, he actually went there with his sister and killed her right away.  Seems targeted.  I can't even imagine what the parents are feeling right now.  Beyond comprehension.  
    Also, his sister's companion was also one of the first killed as well...

This one is best left to the police to figure out and I'm sure we'll know soon enough.  El Paso is obvious.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    How many different people pulled the trigger on those seven people?  That's over the course of a weekend, in a terrible area of a major city.   Why aren't we talking about the five killed in Richmond, VA over the weekend?  You could broaden the topic even more and ask why aren't we talking about the several hundred dead across the United States over the weekend as well.  The difference is one individual (in Texas, for example) walking into a store with a weapon of war doing this in the matter of minutes.  My guess is that the handguns used in Chicago could not achieve the same level of destruction in the same period of time, as the assault rifle.  There's a difference and a problem that could be reduced (not solved) with the banning of the weapon.  
    Exactly....right wing talking point put to bed

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Kat said:
    Be safe.

Also, his sister's companion was also one of the first killed as well...

This one is best left to the police to figure out and I'm sure we'll know soon enough.  El Paso is obvious.  
    Oh I had heard the companion was injured.  She/he died?  Madness.  
  • Options
    Apparently, we cannot discuss other shootings here unless it's considered a mass shooting...at least that's the impression I got when some dude was flapping his gums after I posted all the Chicago shootings.
    I think the difficulty is conflating the two issues.  While gun violence is a problem, mass shootings are a very specific problem that are perpetrated in a very specific way.  I believe when we try to discuss them in tandem, it's easy for the 2A nutjobs to say "See, banning assault rifles isn't going to solve this problem, look at Chicago".  When to me, the solutions are incremental.  Gang violence and domestic violence seem to be the most difficult ones, whereas banning high capacity clips, ARs, etc. can help alleviate the carnage in the mass shootings.  
  • Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/connor-betts-dayton-shooting-profile/index.html

Dude wasn't a fan of Biden...but would vote for Warren.  

This discussion has been closed.