Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    edited August 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    “There must be some reason other than guns that explains why the US has such a gun violence problem” is a story that the American population tells itself. As long as that story persists, the problem won’t be solved. 
    the colonization of this land was begun with violence. the creation of the nation was born of violence, the growth of this nation was from daily violence(slavery and native genocide) we became a superpower as a result of violence and remain so with an unspoken but highly visible threat of violence.

We learned well from the powers throughout history.

Simply put its human fucking animalistic nature to be violent.
    Humans are humans everywhere, and almost every country is born or formed in violence. I don’t believe that Americans are inherently more violent than other humans. They just have more means to act it out. 
    How are the US social safety nets? Compared to other countries. 

I mean, they are not putting any money into health care... so... valid question. The welfare state seems to be up for sale.

#profits
    The US has far more gun deaths than any other country - not just compared to other developed nations, but compares to developing nations with little to no social safety net. 

I’m never going to argue against a proper health care system, but the lack of it is not at fault in the gun death issue. 

It’s the guns. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    mickeyrat said:
    “There must be some reason other than guns that explains why the US has such a gun violence problem” is a story that the American population tells itself. As long as that story persists, the problem won’t be solved. 
    the colonization of this land was begun with violence. the creation of the nation was born of violence, the growth of this nation was from daily violence(slavery and native genocide) we became a superpower as a result of violence and remain so with an unspoken but highly visible threat of violence.

Humans are humans everywhere, and almost every country is born or formed in violence. I don’t believe that Americans are inherently more violent than other humans. They just have more means to act it out. 

I mean, they are not putting any money into health care... so... valid question. The welfare state seems to be up for sale.

#profits
    Exactly....no money into health care, cutting funds for education, expanding income inequality....we're fucked.

I can't believe my facebook feed.  My GOP "friends" are defending our lack of gun laws/restrictions.  The old "why pass a gun law when the criminal will just disobey the law" garbage. 
    God bless you for even allowing that crap on your Facebook feed. There's nothing worse than the pollical ramblings of someone on Facebook. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,283
    edited August 2019
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,047
    mickeyrat said:

#profits
    Exactly....no money into health care, cutting funds for education, expanding income inequality....we're fucked.

I can't believe my facebook feed.  My GOP "friends" are defending our lack of gun laws/restrictions.  The old "why pass a gun law when the criminal will just disobey the law" garbage. 
    God bless you for even allowing that crap on your Facebook feed. There's nothing worse than the pollical ramblings of someone on Facebook. 
    I can't imagine what my feed would look like if I hadn't unfollowed the worst offenders.  Most are from my hometown (Darke County) which is about 30 miles from Dayton.  Darke is home to massive numbers of blue collar workers that proudly and loyally vote against their best interests.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mickeyrat said:

#profits
    The US has far more gun deaths than any other country - not just compared to other developed nations, but compares to developing nations with little to no social safety net. 

I’m never going to argue against a proper health care system, but the lack of it is not at fault in the gun death issue. 

It’s the guns. 
    I'm not defending guns here. 

I mean your solution is simple and in plain sight:

COPY "SWEDISH GUN LAWS"

PASTE

BUT -- 

-- These kind of attacks without guns but with e.g.

...aren't really occurring in other countries (and yes, I do know they do happen)? So it's must be something more than THE US DISGUSTING RELATIONSHIP to guns.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,756
    mickeyrat said:

#profits

I can't imagine what my feed would look like if I hadn't unfollowed the worst offenders.  Most are from my hometown (Darke County) which is about 30 miles from Dayton.  Darke is home to massive numbers of blue collar workers that proudly and loyally vote against their best interests.
    Yeah I think about half of my facebook friends are "unfollowed" for various reasons, with many of the unfollows coming during the 2016 election cycle. It was unbearable. At least when I visit this board, I'm coming here specifically for that crap. But on Facebook? I don't need my friend's mother telling me Hillary is the most qualified candidate ever or that Trump is going to make America great again or whatever else. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,756
    mrussel1 said:
    The only way that the US is unique is the guns. The data do not support theories that blame gun violence on cultural diversity or immigration. 
    Or video games...I'm starting to hear that chatter again.  
    It could be the profanity in rock music.  
    Or fake news?

In a later tweet Monday morning, Trump seemed to blame the media for the rise in mass shootings. "Fake News has contributed greatly to the anger and rage that has built up over many years," Trump wrote.

The Media has a big responsibility to life and safety in our Country. Fake News has contributed greatly to the anger and rage that has built up over many years. News coverage has got to start being fair, balanced and unbiased, or these terrible problems will only get worse!

68.6K people are talking about this

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

#profits

It’s the guns. 

COPY "SWEDISH GUN LAWS"

PASTE

BUT -- 

...aren't really occurring in other countries (and yes, I do know they do happen)? So it's must be something more than THE US DISGUSTING RELATIONSHIP to guns.
    Well, no, I disagree. It’s pretty hard to carry out a mass knifing. People just don’t stand still long enough to get more than one or two of them. 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

#profits

It’s the guns. 

COPY "SWEDISH GUN LAWS"

PASTE

BUT -- 

Well, no, I disagree. It’s pretty hard to carry out a mass knifing. People just don’t stand still long enough to get more than one or two of them. 

So, compared to mass shooting - how many cases in Europe have there been of someone going out to mass-knife random people but with people not standing still long enough for them to get more than one or two of them?

Is it comparable in number of attempts?
  • Options
    So diverse. So big. This ratio is just a sign of everything being normal. But its just fine. Everything is fine. Not bat-shit-twilight-zone-crazy at all.

• Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,094
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  I've mentioned it before but New Jersey definitely has it right when trying to buy a gun.  Before buying a firearm I  need to get fingerprinted, get two non relative recommendation letters, a mental health background check is conducted and then my employer is contacted to see if their is any issues.  If everything is ok then I get a firearms id card.  When I buy a firearm another background check is then conducted to see if their has been any recent red flags.  
    This has seemed to work since the majority of firearms used in crimes are brought in out of state.
    Keeping weapons out of those who are incapable of using them responsibility is key.  
    Any limits on ammunition?  Or # of gun purchases?
    one hand gun a month and every time you buy another handgun you need to get further background info done and paperwork.  after you get approved you get a permit to buy one handgun and you have 90 days to do it.  After the 90 days you can file for a one time extension of 90 days or it expires.   with my FID card I can buy rifles and shotguns but not handguns.  It's hard to understand unless you live here but it does seem to work since the vast majority of crimes are due to handguns (and they all seem to be from out of state).   Some calibers of ammunition have been outlawed (I can't remember off hand).  We just went from 15 to 10 round mag limits although I can drive 25 miles west and buy a 90 round mag in PA if I wanted (which I wouldn't).  
    There are also no gun shows in new jersey; you must sell from a permanent brick and mortar store.  
    It is virtually impossible to get a concealed carry permit in new jersey and the state does not recognize other states that have concealed carry.  So in PA you might legally be allowed to carry but if you come to nj and are caught carrying you get some serious jail time.

I like it. any private sales?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,979
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  I've mentioned it before but New Jersey definitely has it right when trying to buy a gun.  Before buying a firearm I  need to get fingerprinted, get two non relative recommendation letters, a mental health background check is conducted and then my employer is contacted to see if their is any issues.  If everything is ok then I get a firearms id card.  When I buy a firearm another background check is then conducted to see if their has been any recent red flags.  
    This has seemed to work since the majority of firearms used in crimes are brought in out of state.
    Keeping weapons out of those who are incapable of using them responsibility is key.  
    Any limits on ammunition?  Or # of gun purchases?
    one hand gun a month and every time you buy another handgun you need to get further background info done and paperwork.  after you get approved you get a permit to buy one handgun and you have 90 days to do it.  After the 90 days you can file for a one time extension of 90 days or it expires.   with my FID card I can buy rifles and shotguns but not handguns.  It's hard to understand unless you live here but it does seem to work since the vast majority of crimes are due to handguns (and they all seem to be from out of state).   Some calibers of ammunition have been outlawed (I can't remember off hand).  We just went from 15 to 10 round mag limits although I can drive 25 miles west and buy a 90 round mag in PA if I wanted (which I wouldn't).  
    There are also no gun shows in new jersey; you must sell from a permanent brick and mortar store.  
    It is virtually impossible to get a concealed carry permit in new jersey and the state does not recognize other states that have concealed carry.  So in PA you might legally be allowed to carry but if you come to nj and are caught carrying you get some serious jail time.

I like it. any private sales?
    I m not sure bud. I ll research it a little further and let you know.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

#profits

It’s the guns. 

COPY "SWEDISH GUN LAWS"

PASTE

BUT -- 

So, compared to mass shooting - how many cases in Europe have there been of someone going out to mass-knife random people but with people not standing still long enough for them to get more than one or two of them?

Is it comparable in number of attempts?
    There is concern about the level of knife crime in the UK, but my point was more that people don’t try to carry out mass knifings because it’s an absurd concept, so no real point in looking for data on mass knifings. 

When the data on gun deaths vs number of guns in a country is plotted, it’s a very clear linear relationship. The US doesn’t actually have higher levels of non-gun violent crime than other developed countries, which doesn’t support the theory that Americans are simply more violent overall. 

It’s the guns. 
  • Options
    We need national registration and also need to tax the fuck out of ammunition.  

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada had a national registration and it was a billion-dollar-plus boondogle and has since been sent to the scrap heap of history.  There is any number of countries that have common-sense gun control...the US would be wise to look at Canada's gun laws.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Canada had a national registration and it was a billion-dollar-plus boondogle and has since been sent to the scrap heap of history.  There is any number of countries that have common-sense gun control...the US would be wise to look at Canada's gun laws.
    Sweden has national registration (if it means what I think it does) and have never heard the word boondogle over here.

What was the boondogle?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Google can be your friend...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Complete posts with adequate info is everyone's friend....
  • Options
    Complete posts with adequate info is everyone's friend....
    Then you should give it a try sometime...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,604
    AMT burn!!!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,604
    I spoke with co-workers.  It ended with a discussions on smaller government.  The right doesn’t give a crap about gun shootings.
  • Options
  • Options
    Canada has a strict handgun registry ... I believe the registry for handguns came about in the '30s...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,306
    edited August 2019
    We couldn't ban alcohol and it kills way more people than guns, so that is never going to happen. Regulation and pre-ownership requirements are the only way to reducing the casualties. Nothing will ever stop it completely. I doubt any change will happen in my or my kids' lifetime. Maybe in the 22nd century we'll get serious about it when robots control things more efficiently.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,756
    tbergs said:
    We couldn't ban alcohol and it kills way more people than guns, so that is never going to happen. Regulation and pre-ownership requirements are the only way to reducing the casualties. Nothing will ever stop it completely. I doubt any change will happen in my or my kids' lifetime. Maybe in the 22nd century we'll get serious about it when robots control things more efficiently.
    Could have had something done about one aspect though until Team Trump Treason came along and repaid his debt to Putin on the ritz and the $30 million from the NRA. The man is hollow.

https://apple.news/AYedD-hvkQ6yy-XD9--DFhg

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    you really can't control what people want to do.  you can control what the things they access to.  why is that so hard?  
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    you really can't control what people want to do.  you can control what the things they access to.  why is that so hard?  
    Exactly.  Why shouldn't we make it as difficult as possible for these mass shootings to happen?

Step one would be to ban assault weapons.  Ban sales of modification items.  Ban the gun show loophole.  Put a 500% sales tax on ammunition. Require registration and licensing.

Funny thing is that this would only have an effect on a small percentage of people.  99% of us would not be effected at all.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,979
    vaggar99 said:
    Exactly.  Why shouldn't we make it as difficult as possible for these mass shootings to happen?

Step one would be to ban assault weapons.  Ban sales of modification items.  Ban the gun show loophole.  Put a 500% sales tax on ammunition. Require registration and licensing.

Funny thing is that this would only have an effect on a small percentage of people.  99% of us would not be effected at all.
    500% tax on ammo?  Come on. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,306
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

500% tax on ammo?  Come on. 
    How much ammo do you really need that isn't mostly related to recreational fun? Even if you wanted to stay proficient, it's not like you need 1000 rounds. And how many people would this really affect?
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.