Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,153
    Sad weekend in TX/OH/Chicago.  

That soldier in El Paso who was bringing children to safety in Walmart is a damn hero.  
    The Dayton police deserve huge credit.  They were all over that place quick.  It could have been much worse.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is this the new gun nut defense?  To point out other crimes that occur that aren't in any way related to mass shootings?
    The thread is entitled "American Gun Violence".  I did not realize mass shootings were only allowed in this thread.  Nice try though.  Have a nice day....thanks for your input.  However useless it was.
    You know what you were doing...all of the right wing talking points include the same banter.  You probably listened to Rush and typed your little diatribe here as soon as you could.
    WTF is your problem dude?  Go get some help.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    edited August 2019
    Is this the new gun nut defense?  To point out other crimes that occur that aren't in any way related to mass shootings?
    For the record, I'll post what I want, when I want and within posting guidelines...if you do not like go cry to the mods...
    And I will point out your right wing fluff.  See how that works?
    The left Is just as guilty. Assault weapon and white guy equals national attention by the left. If the shooter was illegal or Muslim then the right would be all over it.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    The thread is entitled "American Gun Violence".  I did not realize mass shootings were only allowed in this thread.  Nice try though.  Have a nice day....thanks for your input.  However useless it was.
    You know what you were doing...all of the right wing talking points include the same banter.  You probably listened to Rush and typed your little diatribe here as soon as you could.
    WTF is your problem dude?  Go get some help.  
    Oh, by the way, I'm a centrist... nice projections though...what are you...just a little keyboard warrior I guess...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    For the record, I'll post what I want, when I want and within posting guidelines...if you do not like go cry to the mods...
    The left Is just as guilty. Assault weapon and white guy equals national attention by the left. If the shooter was illegal or Muslim then the right would be all over it.  

The right would be all over it but they wouldn't be talking about real solutions.  They would be talking about banning Muslims and/or illegals to solve the problem.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

The right would be all over it but they wouldn't be talking about real solutions.  They would be talking about banning Muslims and/or illegals to solve the problem.

Agreed. Both sides have to come together and attempt something.  

• Options
    The only way that the US is unique is the guns. The data do not support theories that blame gun violence on cultural diversity or immigration. 
    Or video games...I'm starting to hear that chatter again.  

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,812
    The only way that the US is unique is the guns. The data do not support theories that blame gun violence on cultural diversity or immigration. 
    It could be the profanity in rock music.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    I feel like we're being time-warped back to the 90's with that sort of talk. Violent video games and Quentin Tarantino movies will be the death of us all. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,158

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

"The left is just as guilty"

Thankfully @Gern Blansten already pointed out how fucking in the wrong your post is.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Thankfully @Gern Blansten already pointed out how fucking in the wrong your post is.

Are you capable of having a normal conversation?
    if you read on I agreed with what he posted. But yes, the left definitely picks and chooses what stories they want to use to make their point while ignoring others.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mickeyrat said:
    “There must be some reason other than guns that explains why the US has such a gun violence problem” is a story that the American population tells itself. As long as that story persists, the problem won’t be solved. 
    the colonization of this land was begun with violence. the creation of the nation was born of violence, the growth of this nation was from daily violence(slavery and native genocide) we became a superpower as a result of violence and remain so with an unspoken but highly visible threat of violence.

We learned well from the powers throughout history.

Simply put its human fucking animalistic nature to be violent.
    Humans are humans everywhere, and almost every country is born or formed in violence. I don’t believe that Americans are inherently more violent than other humans. They just have more means to act it out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agreed. Both sides have to come together and attempt something.  

The senate has been presented with bills that Moscow Mitch sits on.  This is a GOP problem...

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

if you read on I agreed with what he posted. But yes, the left definitely picks and chooses what stories they want to use to make their point while ignoring others.  
    I believe the answer is "no"... not possible.  
  • Options
    The US is one of the most violent countries in the world.  Every US president has blood on their hands.  Americans learn from their government that the only way to solve anything is through violence...violence is the norm in America and it will never change...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    “There must be some reason other than guns that explains why the US has such a gun violence problem” is a story that the American population tells itself. As long as that story persists, the problem won’t be solved. 
    the colonization of this land was begun with violence. the creation of the nation was born of violence, the growth of this nation was from daily violence(slavery and native genocide) we became a superpower as a result of violence and remain so with an unspoken but highly visible threat of violence.

Humans are humans everywhere, and almost every country is born or formed in violence. I don’t believe that Americans are inherently more violent than other humans. They just have more means to act it out. 
    This is true, or at least more specifically, an individual has more ways of creating mass carnage compared to other countries.  Other countries have obviously had much more rampant carnage, but a lone wolf here can do this.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I believe the answer is "no"... not possible.  
    There's always that one person in a crowded room....
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    2 of the 3 Chicago shootings could have easily turned into a mass shootings (7 hurt by gunfire in the 1st shooting and 8 in the 2nd). If at least 4 people died per incident, then it’s a mass shooting. Had to look that up....The United StatesCongressional Research Service acknowledges that there is not a broadly accepted definition, and defines a "public mass shooting"[2] as an event where someone selects four or more people indiscriminately, and kills them, echoing the FBI's definition of the term "mass murder".[3]

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  I've mentioned it before but New Jersey definitely has it right when trying to buy a gun.  Before buying a firearm I  need to get fingerprinted, get two non relative recommendation letters, a mental health background check is conducted and then my employer is contacted to see if their is any issues.  If everything is ok then I get a firearms id card.  When I buy a firearm another background check is then conducted to see if their has been any recent red flags.  
    This has seemed to work since the majority of firearms used in crimes are brought in out of state.
    Keeping weapons out of those who are incapable of using them responsibility is key.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

This is true but I do wonder how we differ.  I think our education system has failed and income inequality has reached ridiculous levels.  Add guns to that equation and we can't be surprised.

I'm listening to an interview now with the Dayton Police Chief.  Gunman modified his weapon with parts purchased online...

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,158
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  I've mentioned it before but New Jersey definitely has it right when trying to buy a gun.  Before buying a firearm I  need to get fingerprinted, get two non relative recommendation letters, a mental health background check is conducted and then my employer is contacted to see if their is any issues.  If everything is ok then I get a firearms id card.  When I buy a firearm another background check is then conducted to see if their has been any recent red flags.  
    This has seemed to work since the majority of firearms used in crimes are brought in out of state.
    Keeping weapons out of those who are incapable of using them responsibility is key.  
    Any limits on ammunition?  Or # of gun purchases?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,522
    edited August 2019
    Fuck, I've been playing Mario since I was 7 years old. Guess I am a walking risk. Thank god I live in a country with gun laws.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    edited August 2019
    double post
    Post edited by Renfield on
  • Options
    Fuck, I've been playing Mario since I was 7 years old. Guess I am a walking risk. Thank god I live in a country with gun laws.
    I thank God every day for the same.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Interesting....in Indiana I just had to get fingerprinted to get a lifetime permit.  I guess that's better than nothing....

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    You’re at risk of mushrooms, then. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

How are the US social safety nets? Compared to other countries. 

I mean, they are not putting any money into health care... so... valid question. The welfare state seems to be up for sale.

#profits
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Any limits on ammunition?  Or # of gun purchases?
    one hand gun a month and every time you buy another handgun you need to get further background info done and paperwork.  after you get approved you get a permit to buy one handgun and you have 90 days to do it.  After the 90 days you can file for a one time extension of 90 days or it expires.   with my FID card I can buy rifles and shotguns but not handguns.  It's hard to understand unless you live here but it does seem to work since the vast majority of crimes are due to handguns (and they all seem to be from out of state).   Some calibers of ammunition have been outlawed (I can't remember off hand).  We just went from 15 to 10 round mag limits although I can drive 25 miles west and buy a 90 round mag in PA if I wanted (which I wouldn't).  
    There are also no gun shows in new jersey; you must sell from a permanent brick and mortar store.  
    It is virtually impossible to get a concealed carry permit in new jersey and the state does not recognize other states that have concealed carry.  So in PA you might legally be allowed to carry but if you come to nj and are caught carrying you get some serious jail time.

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

How are the US social safety nets? Compared to other countries. 

I mean, they are not putting any money into health care... so... valid question. The welfare state seems to be up for sale.

#profits
    Exactly....no money into health care, cutting funds for education, expanding income inequality....we're fucked.

I can't believe my facebook feed.  My GOP "friends" are defending our lack of gun laws/restrictions.  The old "why pass a gun law when the criminal will just disobey the law" garbage. 

This discussion has been closed.