America's Gun Violence

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    you really can't control what people want to do.  you can control what the things they access to.  why is that so hard?  
    Exactly.  Why shouldn't we make it as difficult as possible for these mass shootings to happen?

Step one would be to ban assault weapons.  Ban sales of modification items.  Ban the gun show loophole.  Put a 500% sales tax on ammunition. Require registration and licensing.

Funny thing is that this would only have an effect on a small percentage of people.  99% of us would not be effected at all.
    500% tax on ammo?  Come on. 
    Why not?  Are your jollies at the range really worth the risk your kids face every time they go into public?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    Perhaps ammunition purchased and used at the ranges could be exempt from tax.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    you really can't control what people want to do.  you can control what the things they access to.  why is that so hard?  
    Exactly.  Why shouldn't we make it as difficult as possible for these mass shootings to happen?

Step one would be to ban assault weapons.  Ban sales of modification items.  Ban the gun show loophole.  Put a 500% sales tax on ammunition. Require registration and licensing.

Funny thing is that this would only have an effect on a small percentage of people.  99% of us would not be effected at all.
    Fuck yes.  Do you think the shootings in Chicago would drop after that?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    That's an excellent idea.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:
    It is, love it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    Exactly. Law enforcement personnel in the line of duty and ammo used exclusively for training or at ranges would be exempt from the increase, but only when used in those capacities. Caught violating the regulation, you lose your guns and ammo for 10 years. Keep those range owners on the up and up so they don't start selling on the side and letting Randy Rifle take it home.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

I m not for taxing anything like that.  I m not sure if homicides would go down but I do know that this has zero chance of passing.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Two more have passed away in El Paso...bringing the death count to 22. Such a sad state of affairs. You can't even walk into a Walmart these days without having to fear for your life. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited August 2019
    Maybe the wave is starting:
    https://apple.news/Az1TJ3zGnSQeh95GxwsX-dA

Republican state lawmaker criticizes his party for 'enabling white supremacy'

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,165
    mrussel1 said:
    How would that be regulated the range would have to count ammo in&out of range ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mrussel1 said:
    How would that be regulated the range would have to count ammo in&out of range ..
    That's right.  Put in a metal detector so you can't leave with any ammo.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe the wave is starting:
    https://apple.news/Az1TJ3zGnSQeh95GxwsX-dA

Republican state lawmaker criticizes his party for 'enabling white supremacy'

Maybe it is. We can hope. 

Or maybe it’s not. 

https://apple.news/A_wy8FGq7T6qYdwPn1Z-PJg

Ohio State Rep blamed everything from gay marriage and trans people to Obama to professional athletes who take a knee for this shooting. Thankfully, some of her GOP colleagues have called her out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

I m not for taxing anything like that.  I m not sure if homicides would go down but I do know that this has zero chance of passing.  
    I guess it depends on how many bodies pile up
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,484
    edited August 2019
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

You’re right, it has zero chance of passing - as long as gun owners have that mentality. If the gun lovers ever actually said “we need to find a way to solve this”, things would be different. Instead, it’s always “that’ll never work”. 
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

You’re right, it has zero chance of passing - as long as gun owners have that mentality. If the gun lovers ever actually said “we need to find a way to solve this”, things would be different. Instead, it’s always “that’ll never work”. 
    I listed about ten other things that I would be ok with, taxing the shit out of something is not the answer imo.  As a gun owner I am pretty open minded but I definitely do not agree with this idea.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

500% is a bit over the top, but I don't know that it has zero chance.  There have been "sin" taxes on alcohol and tobacco for years.  The same concepts can be applied.  In fact, state and local gov't could accomplish this if they had the political will.  It doesn't have to be federal.  
    edited August 2019
    Take the gun away and what do you have......no trigger. Simple  . Please explain why you MUST  have a gun please tell me?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Take the gun away and what do you have......no trigger. Simple  
    You and I know that will never happen.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,076
    edited August 2019
    In Sweden you have to have a hunters license or be a member of a sport-shooting club (for 6 months before acquiring a gun of your own). I think there is also a seperatae ”collector” license one can apply for. 

and you need a seperate license for every aquired Gun and a safe/locker that meets the criteria for safe keeping (Where Guns have to be stored when not in use)

Plus the normal red flags check when getting your license. Doctors also need to report If they find someone might not be suitable to keep their license. 

It think you can own a maximum of 6-8 guns. But can apply to have more. 

add a license for reasons of ”self defense” for those unique American needs maybe. 

Maybe that could be something? Or too swedish?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

I listed about ten other things that I would be ok with, taxing the shit out of something is not the answer imo.  As a gun owner I am pretty open minded but I definitely do not agree with this idea.  
    Was your “ten things” list the post that started “One handgun a month..”?  If so, I don’t see much in there that actually limits guns. The idea that someone can just keep on buying more and more handguns is ridiculous. The only idea I liked in that post was that every sale was registered, which is a start, but only the barest start.

• KatKat Posts: 4,832
    I've played video games most of my life and not once, not even a little bit, did I think I should go out and kill people.
    Other countries have people with mental illness but the U.S. is the only one with gun carnage like we have.
    Why is that, I wonder? Is it too obvious to think it's because there are too many guns...military weapons? I think not. It's slaughter now. We have to vote out the people blocking possible solutions. We have to keep trying to get it right. Have a safe evening.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

500% is a bit over the top, but I don't know that it has zero chance.  There have been "sin" taxes on alcohol and tobacco for years.  The same concepts can be applied.  In fact, state and local gov't could accomplish this if they had the political will.  It doesn't have to be federal.  
    The political will that we need is the will of the gun enthusiasts. Without that, legislation is doomed, in my opinion, so it’s a matter of whether any event could be egregious enough to bring the gun lobby to its senses. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

The political will that we need is the will of the gun enthusiasts. Without that, legislation is doomed, in my opinion, so it’s a matter of whether any event could be egregious enough to bring the gun lobby to its senses. 
    I don't think something that egregious even exists. If someone showed up at an NRA-sponsored event and opened fire on the crowd, they'd probably spend more time praising whoever shot the gunman down than they would mourning their friends that died. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Ok i deleted bad words. But trump saying  that  absolute  bullshit  it was mental illness pulling the trigger . What a c**t.  Absolute  liar and fraud. I suffer with mental illness and its  no joke. And not to be just banded around.  This is a gun issue. No gun . No shooting wake  the  fuck up. I get very upset putting these people in my bracket. Not at all or even slightly  a mental illness at all.  Its a gun  problem . You see it gives pathetic  idiots power they dont deserve. Come at me with your hands and we will see
     A gun is the tool of nothing  more than a pathetic coward. Fact  not  negotiable at all.  COWARDICE 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    vaggar99 said:

I don't think something that egregious even exists. If someone showed up at an NRA-sponsored event and opened fire on the crowd, they'd probably spend more time praising whoever shot the gunman down than they would mourning their friends that died. 
    They would call the victims "2A martyrs".  I know this, because over on Breitbart, that's what they're doing.  They don't understand a martyr dies for a chosen cause I guess.  
    If Sandy Hook didn't do it, nothing will.  It's crazy.  
    In Sweden you have to have a hunters license or be a member of a sport-shooting club (for 6 months before acquiring a gun of your own). I think there is also a seperatae ”collector” license one can apply for. 

and you need a seperate license for every aquired Gun and a safe/locker that meets the criteria for safe keeping (Where Guns have to be stored when not in use)

Plus the normal red flags check when getting your license. Doctors also need to report If they find someone might not be suitable to keep their license. 

It think you can own a maximum of 6-8 guns. But can apply to have more. 

add a license for reasons of ”self defense” for those unique American needs maybe. 

Maybe that could be something? Or too swedish?
    I like a lot of those ideas.  I really agree with either attaining a hunting liscense (safety training first) or belonging to a shooting club. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    I find I am lucky to live in a country where major problems can be fixed by doing nothing. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.