Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,460
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    There are some questions about what is wrong with America.  America is a child compared to how old other countries are in the world.  We have just about every ethnic group living here.  We have just about every religion here.   We are a country founded on personal freedom and opportunity.  

This is what happens with a melting pot.  Still very much an experiment.  We should not be surprised by this even in 2019.  It is much harder to find unification in a melting pot than in countries that have few immigrants.  We still are not  remotely close to getting rid of the negative effects of slavery.

This is not an excuse for poor behavior.  But an observation when people ask why the US is so screwed up.  America’s greatest attribute/strength comes with difficulty.
    Nice ending segment to a Chris Cuomo CNN show.

But I dont see how being this greatest-experiment-on-earth-melting-pot gives a reason for americas insane Gun laws or other insane things.
    Because guns don’t pull the trigger.  Because guns aren’t racist.  Because guns can’t vote.  Because guns don’t take bribes.  People do all these things for any number of reasons.  Get rid of the guns yes, but just saying we should not be surprised at all based on the history of the world that there are issues with co-existing in America.
    Yes I understand. You are trying to go beyond what you think is the starting point (gun control) and working on some of the root causes that get people to reach for the gun. Makes sense.  I agree.

Take immediate action for today - gun control.
     But the long term play has to include more.  I think the only way to stop this is to remove the outrage and hate for “the other side”. Get back to compromise and solving problems. I’m unclear how to do that exactly. But I think it can be done. Though if we can’t unite as a country against Russia attacking our elections...I’m concerned 
    Agree.  Gun control now. 

Moscow Mitch.  He will go down in history as one evil man.
    They definitely have to do something. I just read that trump wants stronger background checks, that s a good start.  I hope just one republican agreed with him and starts some sort of small wave in the senate.  
    If Trump wants it, they’ll probably all be on board.  The NRA will stick their nose in but Trump is the one thing that trumps the NRA for the GOP.

NRA contributed 20 Million for his election in 2016 ...

And of course he cynically ties the background check legislation to immigration reform.  
    It s pretty damn smart imo
    Quoting this for history.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    Went to Burger King yesterday. Some guy had on a gun/2nd amendment shirt on.  At least give it a couple days before you start pushing the gun b.s. again.   I would have thought he would have been hunting instead of buying food at Burger King.  

Yes, I eat at Burger King and love it.  I dip the fries in ketchup.  I dip the burgers in ketchup.  I love ketchup.  Sure I’ll die at my desk at 43 but I love ketchup.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,797
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    There are some questions about what is wrong with America.  America is a child compared to how old other countries are in the world.  We have just about every ethnic group living here.  We have just about every religion here.   We are a country founded on personal freedom and opportunity.  

This is what happens with a melting pot.  Still very much an experiment.  We should not be surprised by this even in 2019.  It is much harder to find unification in a melting pot than in countries that have few immigrants.  We still are not  remotely close to getting rid of the negative effects of slavery.

This is not an excuse for poor behavior.  But an observation when people ask why the US is so screwed up.  America’s greatest attribute/strength comes with difficulty.

But I dont see how being this greatest-experiment-on-earth-melting-pot gives a reason for americas insane Gun laws or other insane things.
    Because guns don’t pull the trigger.  Because guns aren’t racist.  Because guns can’t vote.  Because guns don’t take bribes.  People do all these things for any number of reasons.  Get rid of the guns yes, but just saying we should not be surprised at all based on the history of the world that there are issues with co-existing in America.
    Yes I understand. You are trying to go beyond what you think is the starting point (gun control) and working on some of the root causes that get people to reach for the gun. Makes sense.  I agree.

But the long term play has to include more.  I think the only way to stop this is to remove the outrage and hate for “the other side”. Get back to compromise and solving problems. I’m unclear how to do that exactly. But I think it can be done. Though if we can’t unite as a country against Russia attacking our elections...I’m concerned 
    Agree.  Gun control now. 

They definitely have to do something. I just read that trump wants stronger background checks, that s a good start.  I hope just one republican agreed with him and starts some sort of small wave in the senate.  
    If Trump wants it, they’ll probably all be on board.  The NRA will stick their nose in but Trump is the one thing that trumps the NRA for the GOP.

And of course he cynically ties the background check legislation to immigration reform.  
    It's a poison pill.  It shows he doesn't really care about it.  There's little nexus between the two issues.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Renfield said:
    On CNN now, Dayton shooter had a troubled past, was taken out of high school because he had a Kill list and a Rape list.  Red flags that were most likely overlooked.
    Red flags that can't be acted upon because of Constitutional rights, unfortunately.
    I think they can. If the high school suspended him for compling those lists, they could have forced into some sort of mental health evaluation. Maybe they'd have to get their county's juvenile probation department involved to make it happen, but it could happen. If you have a kill and rape list, that can probably be construed as plotting a crime. 
    Yeah, as McGruff stated, that's a very touchy subject, and right now there is no more political will to take guns away on a "see something, say something" basis than there is a will for any other sensible gun control measures.
    I see what both of you guys are saying but a written kill list seems so extreme that even the NRA would say "Yeah that guy shouldn't own a gun."

Unfortunately they'd probably never say it publicly. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Went to Burger King yesterday. Some guy had on a gun/2nd amendment shirt on.  At least give it a couple days before you start pushing the gun b.s. again.   I would have thought he would have been hunting instead of buying food at Burger King.  

Yes, I eat at Burger King and love it.  I dip the fries in ketchup.  I dip the burgers in ketchup.  I love ketchup.  Sure I’ll die at my desk at 43 but I love ketchup.
    Have you tried their impossible burger?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,022
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

It's a poison pill.  It shows he doesn't really care about it.  There's little nexus between the two issues.  
    100% agree. But like I said, it s pretty smart of him to tie both of these issues together.  We appease some people on the left and right.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

100% agree. But like I said, it s pretty smart of him to tie both of these issues together.  We appease some people on the left and right.  

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Speaking of "see something, say something" I would love to see an internet movement to start flooding authorities with warnings about conservative white young men.
    Confederate flag?
    Saw something, say something.
    Posting about guns and Trump?
    Anti-immigrant rhetoric?

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rgambs said:
    Speaking of "see something, say something" I would love to see an internet movement to start flooding authorities with warnings about conservative white young men.
    Confederate flag?
    Anti-immigrant rhetoric?

I like it. Just read an article about a grandmother in Lubbock, Texas who called the cops in her grandson because she was scared he was planning something big. Turns out she was right .  Give me a minute to find the article. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Confederate flag?
    Anti-immigrant rhetoric?

I like it. Just read an article about a grandmother in Lubbock, Texas who called the cops in her grandson because she was scared he was planning something big. Turns out she was right .  Give me a minute to find the article. 
    You just, like a minute ago defended Trumps anti-immigrant rhetoric...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Confederate flag?
    Anti-immigrant rhetoric?

No, I agree with immigration reform. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    Anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,323
    edited August 2019
    “There must be some reason other than guns that explains why the US has such a gun violence problem” is a story that the American population tells itself. As long as that story persists, the problem won’t be solved. 
    the colonization of this land was begun with violence. the creation of the nation was born of violence, the growth of this nation was from daily violence(slavery and native genocide) we became a superpower as a result of violence and remain so with an unspoken but highly visible threat of violence.

We learned well from the powers throughout history.

Simply put its human fucking animalistic nature to be violent.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Confederate flag?
    Anti-immigrant rhetoric?

No, I agree with immigration reform. 

• Options
    I'm only a step beyond a dial up modem so when I read about something called 8chan I am floored.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/technology/8chan-shooting-manifesto.html

Fredrick Brennan was getting ready for church at his home in the Philippines when the news of a mass shooting in El Paso arrived. His response was immediate and instinctive.

“Whenever I hear about a mass shooting, I say, ‘All right, we have to research if there’s an 8chan connection,’” he said about the online message board he started in 2013.

It didn’t take him long to find one. 

Moments before the El Paso shooting on Saturday, a four-page message whose author identified himself as the gunman appeared on 8chan. The person who posted the message encouraged his “brothers” on the site to spread the contents far and wide.

In recent months, 8chan has become a go-to resource for violent extremists. At least three mass shootings this year — including the mosque killings in Christchurch, New Zealand, and the synagogue shooting in Poway, Calif. — have been announced in advance on the site, often accompanied by racist writings that seem engineered to go viral on the internet.

Mr. Brennan started the online message board as a free speech utopia. But now, 8chan is known as something else: a megaphone for mass shooters, and a recruiting platform for violent white nationalists. 

And it has become a focal point for those seeking to disrupt the pathways of online extremism. On Sunday, critics characterized the site as a breeding ground for violence, and lobbied the site’s service providers to get it taken down. One of those providers, Cloudflare, a service that protects websites against cyberattacks, said it would stop working with 8chan on Sunday night and the site went dark about 3 a.m. Eastern time. And Mr. Brennan, who stopped working with the site’s current owner last year, called for it to be taken offline before it leads to further violence.

“Shut the site down,” Mr. Brennan said in an interview. “It’s not doing the world any good. It’s a complete negative to everybody except the users that are there. And you know what? It’s a negative to them, too. They just don’t realize it.”

[Read our live briefing for the latest updates on the shootings in El Paso and Dayton ]

Mr. Brennan, who has claimed that he got the idea for 8chan while on psychedelic mushrooms, set out to create what he called a free speech alternative to 4chan, a better-known online message board. He was upset that 4chan had become too restrictive, and he envisioned a site where any legal speech would be welcome, no matter how toxic.

The site remained on the fringes until 2014, when some supporters of GamerGate — a loose reactionary collection of anti-feminist video gamers — flocked to 8chan after being kicked off 4chan. 

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So far everyone has been blamed but the 2 shooters.  Unless they were suffering from serious mental illness these 2 gunmen are responsible...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So far everyone has been blamed but the 2 shooters.  Unless they were suffering from serious mental illness these 2 gunmen are responsible...
    That is a given. 

Therefore, no one needs to talk about them being responsible or not. Because that is obvious. 

How many mass shootings by people being responsible for them did you have in Ontario this week?
  • Options
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,127
    Is this the new gun nut defense?  To point out other crimes that occur that aren't in any way related to mass shootings?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Is this the new gun nut defense?  To point out other crimes that occur that aren't in any way related to mass shootings?
    The thread is entitled "American Gun Violence".  I did not realize mass shootings were only allowed in this thread.  Nice try though.  Have a nice day....thanks for your input.  However useless it was.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

• Options
    For the record, I'll post what I want, when I want and within posting guidelines...if you do not like go cry to the mods...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    Sad weekend in TX/OH/Chicago.  

That soldier in El Paso who was bringing children to safety in Walmart is a damn hero.  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    nvm
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

it s pretty smart of him to tie both of these issues together.  We appease some people on the left and right.  

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    Sad weekend in TX/OH/Chicago.  

That soldier in El Paso who was bringing children to safety in Walmart is a damn hero.  
    The guy that had his gun on him?  He's partially a hero and partially part of the problem.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The thread is entitled "American Gun Violence".  I did not realize mass shootings were only allowed in this thread.  Nice try though.  Have a nice day....thanks for your input.  However useless it was.
    You know what you were doing...all of the right wing talking points include the same banter.  You probably listened to Rush and typed your little diatribe here as soon as you could.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    For the record, I'll post what I want, when I want and within posting guidelines...if you do not like go cry to the mods...
    And I will point out your right wing fluff.  See how that works?

This discussion has been closed.