Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,564
    No Coder said:
    Video games are not responsible, not even a little bit. 

Guns are responsible. 
     No...it doesn't load, aim and shoot itself..
    Guns are the how.  Not the why.  But we should get rid of the how while trying to figure out the why.  
    The guns are the how and the why. 
    So we just want a bunch of people running around wishing they could murder 20 people but not have access to guns to do it?   THat’s a start, but you are in a dreamworld if you think we can get how many millions of guns off the street and away from criminals.   Banning them is a start.  
    This is part of the problem...the thought that one thing will solve everything. It won't, but ONE THING is a start.
    Ban automatic weapons (why ANYONE in the public NEEDS these is a mystery to me), offer a buy back scheme, stricter licence requirements, and the many more options that other countries have done are out there......FFS!! DO SOMETHING
    For sure.  I am all for banning them.  The time is now (and was then) to do something!
  • Options
    There are some questions about what is wrong with America.  America is a child compared to how old other countries are in the world.  We have just about every ethnic group living here.  We have just about every religion here.   We are a country founded on personal freedom and opportunity.  

This is what happens with a melting pot.  Still very much an experiment.  We should not be surprised by this even in 2019.  It is much harder to find unification in a melting pot than in countries that have few immigrants.  We still are not  remotely close to getting rid of the negative effects of slavery.

This is not an excuse for poor behavior.  But an observation when people ask why the US is so screwed up.  America’s greatest attribute/strength comes with difficulty.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,123
    Just my view but in the u.k white british people are fast becoming  a minority .my lady is of italian parent immigrants.  We have easily as many different  nationalities as usa and we dont shoot eachother  and crime against eachother i dont really see as race motivated. The immigration  thing is unpopular with most but it isnt causing mass shootings. Why. Because we have no guns.  It really is that simple.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    Just my view but in the u.k white british people are fast becoming  a minority .my lady is of italian parent immigrants.  We have easily as many different  nationalities as usa and we dont shoot eachother  and crime against eachother i dont really see as race motivated. The immigration  thing is unpopular with most but it isnt causing mass shootings. Why. Because we have no guns.  It really is that simple.
    Yes 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,843
    The only way that the US is unique is the guns. The data do not support theories that blame gun violence on cultural diversity or immigration. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522

There are some questions about what is wrong with America.  America is a child compared to how old other countries are in the world.  We have just about every ethnic group living here.  We have just about every religion here.   We are a country founded on personal freedom and opportunity.  

This is what happens with a melting pot.  Still very much an experiment.  We should not be surprised by this even in 2019.  It is much harder to find unification in a melting pot than in countries that have few immigrants.  We still are not  remotely close to getting rid of the negative effects of slavery.

This is not an excuse for poor behavior.  But an observation when people ask why the US is so screwed up.  America’s greatest attribute/strength comes with difficulty.
    It's what happens when guns are readily available, glorified and swooned over like a newborn.

The framers would rethink the constitution if they had the foresight to see what would become.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,782
    edited August 2019

I read your post where you said,  "America is a child", and had just been thinking about how America's culture, in many ways, is still like a child.  Edward Abbey gave a good example when he said, "Boys love their toys and girls love ponies, grown men and women love to walk."  Which side of that fence does America sit on?  We Americans, young and old, love our toys.  Guns could be useful in the right hands- all countries have them to some degree-  but in the hands of the still infant American culture, the toy (or in this case, object) bodes dangerously.  And like anything a child can't handle safely, the object should probably be removed until maturity proves itself.  That, or keep burying the dead.  Who will be next? I'm sick of hearing about the dead and injured, known and unknown.

Edit:  This is helpful:  Cloudflare is terminating service to 8chan

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,174
    edited August 2019

Nice ending segment to a Chris Cuomo CNN show.

But I dont see how being this greatest-experiment-on-earth-melting-pot gives a reason for americas insane Gun laws or other insane things.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Renfield said:
    On CNN now, Dayton shooter had a troubled past, was taken out of high school because he had a Kill list and a Rape list.  Red flags that were most likely overlooked.
    Red flags that can't be acted upon because of Constitutional rights, unfortunately.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Damn.

Just, damn.

How do we stop this?

Those poor people.
    You wont. 

Even people on the Pearl jam message board defends the Gun laws and fetisishes Guns. 

That is a sign that it Will not be stopped 
    As usual, you are a ray of sunshine, a sparkle of hope, and a breath of fresh air bringing a new message of peace and hope to all.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,123
    ^^this is alarming
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

But I dont see how being this greatest-experiment-on-earth-melting-pot gives a reason for americas insane Gun laws or other insane things.
    Because guns don’t pull the trigger.  Because guns aren’t racist.  Because guns can’t vote.  Because guns don’t take bribes.  People do all these things for any number of reasons.  Get rid of the guns yes, but just saying we should not be surprised at all based on the history of the world that there are issues with co-existing in America.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123

Because guns don’t pull the trigger.  Because guns aren’t racist.  Because guns can’t vote.  Because guns don’t take bribes.  People do all these things for any number of reasons.  Get rid of the guns yes, but just saying we should not be surprised at all based on the history of the world that there are issues with co-existing in America.
    Yes I understand. You are trying to go beyond what you think is the starting point (gun control) and working on some of the root causes that get people to reach for the gun. Makes sense.  I agree.

Take immediate action for today - gun control.
     But the long term play has to include more.  I think the only way to stop this is to remove the outrage and hate for “the other side”. Get back to compromise and solving problems. I’m unclear how to do that exactly. But I think it can be done. Though if we can’t unite as a country against Russia attacking our elections...I’m concerned 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Yes I understand. You are trying to go beyond what you think is the starting point (gun control) and working on some of the root causes that get people to reach for the gun. Makes sense.  I agree.

But the long term play has to include more.  I think the only way to stop this is to remove the outrage and hate for “the other side”. Get back to compromise and solving problems. I’m unclear how to do that exactly. But I think it can be done. Though if we can’t unite as a country against Russia attacking our elections...I’m concerned 
    Agree.  Gun control now. 

Moscow Mitch.  He will go down in history as one evil man.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831

I agree and will add one thing: whatever the solution(s) are the NRA should have absolutely no input.  They only make things worse with their profit-driven ulterior motives.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,944

Agree.  Gun control now. 

They definitely have to do something. I just read that trump wants stronger background checks, that s a good start.  I hope just one republican agreed with him and starts some sort of small wave in the senate.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

They definitely have to do something. I just read that trump wants stronger background checks, that s a good start.  I hope just one republican agreed with him and starts some sort of small wave in the senate.  
    If Trump wants it, they’ll probably all be on board.  The NRA will stick their nose in but Trump is the one thing that trumps the NRA for the GOP.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The NRA is unbelievable.  They are like kids that don’t realize that bu not eating their broccoli that the punishment will be much worse.  They are digging that organization’s grave instead of being part of the solution and staying relevant. 

If you can’t share the toy the parents take it away.  The NRA can’t share or play nice so eventually the guns will be taken away.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    rgambs said:
    Renfield said:
    On CNN now, Dayton shooter had a troubled past, was taken out of high school because he had a Kill list and a Rape list.  Red flags that were most likely overlooked.
    Red flags that can't be acted upon because of Constitutional rights, unfortunately.
    I think they can. If the high school suspended him for compling those lists, they could have forced into some sort of mental health evaluation. Maybe they'd have to get their county's juvenile probation department involved to make it happen, but it could happen. If you have a kill and rape list, that can probably be construed as plotting a crime. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,329
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

If Trump wants it, they’ll probably all be on board.  The NRA will stick their nose in but Trump is the one thing that trumps the NRA for the GOP.

NRA contributed 20 Million for his election in 2016 ...

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Renfield said:
    I think they can. If the high school suspended him for compling those lists, they could have forced into some sort of mental health evaluation. Maybe they'd have to get their county's juvenile probation department involved to make it happen, but it could happen. If you have a kill and rape list, that can probably be construed as plotting a crime. 
    I ll have to look it up but around 14 states have red flag legislation; I know that New Jersey is one of them.  It is a slippery slope because of due process but overall I like the idea of it.  
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,749
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Renfield said:
    I ll have to look it up but around 14 states have red flag legislation; I know that New Jersey is one of them.  It is a slippery slope because of due process but overall I like the idea of it.  
    Yeah it's definitely a slippery slope. Especially with things like drawings or posting song lyrics that can be open to various interpretations. But a flat-out rape/kill list isn't a red flag that someone might be crazy. It's evidence that they are crazy. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Renfield said:
    Yeah, as McGruff stated, that's a very touchy subject, and right now there is no more political will to take guns away on a "see something, say something" basis than there is a will for any other sensible gun control measures.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,706
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

I think you'd be surprised.  Trump is a patsy to money, at the end of the day.  After Vegas, I believe, he came out in support on much stronger controls than just bump stock bans, but after several days, he walked that back.  His "base" of deplorables is completely unmoved by these tragedies.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,174
    edited August 2019
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

Saying you want background checks in a tweet when there has just been two mass-shooting and he has been under attack because of them, is not the same as him really caring or a wave building.

is my guess.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,691
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

$30 million and so far outside their norm that Putin on the ritz is being looked at as a funding source. Remember the recorded nervous laughter by repub leadership on who pays Team Trump Treason? Moscow Mitchy Baby is a complicit traitor.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

And of course he cynically ties the background check legislation to immigration reform.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

And of course he cynically ties the background check legislation to immigration reform.  
    It s pretty damn smart imo
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

I think you'd be surprised.  Trump is a patsy to money, at the end of the day.  After Vegas, I believe, he came out in support on much stronger controls than just bump stock bans, but after several days, he walked that back.  His "base" of deplorables is completely unmoved by these tragedies.  
    That’s why I said “if Trump wants it.”  I would not be surprised if that kinda fades away.  

Funny, though; based on gut reactions,  he seems to be for a bit of gun control.  A principle that is for sale.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree.  Gun control now. 

That’s why I said “if Trump wants it.”  I would not be surprised if that kinda fades away.  

Funny, though; based on gut reactions,  he seems to be for a bit of gun control.  A principle that is for sale.
    That's the beauty of his principles, there's always a price tag on them.  
This discussion has been closed.