Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I'm pretty McCartney is not controlling what his employees eat on their own dime...I remember a tour a few years back that he was only serving plant-based food to his staff to set up the concert...that would be his choice since he is the one paying for the catering...
    Yes, exactly. When he pays he can control what is served.  Those who don’t want to eat the vegan catering can get their own food. I have read that he forbids animal products backstage at his shows, but staff can eat them in the rest of the venue. 

And I have not been able to find anything that says what the ask is for regular employees (which I assume he has), but I’m certain he isn’t sending investigators to their homes or watching them out at restaurants. 
    haha, I didn't claim he did that (your last sentence). But if he's paying for it, obviously, that's another story. i wasn't talking specifically about catering. My impression was that he forbade any animal from being consumed on the property while they were under his employ. that would be akin to the president of my company telling me I can't have a bologna sandwich on my lunch break. But maybe my details are incorrect. this was back in the mid 90's when he came here on tour there was some hubub about it. 
    I believe your details are incorrect, from what I’ve read. No animal products backstage while he’s on tour. 

I don't know, but I suspect that an employer might be able to say no animal products in their offices. You would of course be free to leave the premises and eat your bologna elsewhere. 
    I’d probably just sneak a bag of beef jerky in if it were an issue.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    I'm pretty McCartney is not controlling what his employees eat on their own dime...I remember a tour a few years back that he was only serving plant-based food to his staff to set up the concert...that would be his choice since he is the one paying for the catering...
    Yes, exactly. When he pays he can control what is served.  Those who don’t want to eat the vegan catering can get their own food. I have read that he forbids animal products backstage at his shows, but staff can eat them in the rest of the venue. 

And I have not been able to find anything that says what the ask is for regular employees (which I assume he has), but I’m certain he isn’t sending investigators to their homes or watching them out at restaurants. 
    haha, I didn't claim he did that (your last sentence). But if he's paying for it, obviously, that's another story. i wasn't talking specifically about catering. My impression was that he forbade any animal from being consumed on the property while they were under his employ. that would be akin to the president of my company telling me I can't have a bologna sandwich on my lunch break. But maybe my details are incorrect. this was back in the mid 90's when he came here on tour there was some hubub about it. 
    I believe your details are incorrect, from what I’ve read. No animal products backstage while he’s on tour. 

I don't know, but I suspect that an employer might be able to say no animal products in their offices. You would of course be free to leave the premises and eat your bologna elsewhere. 
    I actually can't see that happening. Someone would claim they are discriminated against for liking meat. How would that be any different than telling vegetarians they aren't welcome to eat in the office? Go enjoy your salad in the parking lot unless you want to put some meat in it. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Its also likely McCartney has no say on what venues serve at concessions...most concessions are contracted by the venue and I'm sure Hot Dog, Hamburger and other meat products are a huge revenue maker... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Its also likely McCartney has no say on what venues serve at concessions...most concessions are contracted by the venue and I'm sure Hot Dog, Hamburger and other meat products are a huge revenue maker... 
    On another thought, do you really want people eating black bean burgers and other high fiber foods at an indoor venue....?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJPOWER said:
    On another thought, do you really want people eating black bean burgers and other high fiber foods at an indoor venue....?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

Hahaha, exactly!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mace1229 said:

I actually can't see that happening. Someone would claim they are discriminated against for liking meat. How would that be any different than telling vegetarians they aren't welcome to eat in the office? Go enjoy your salad in the parking lot unless you want to put some meat in it. 
    It does happen, in limited examples, and from what I’ve seen it is legal. There is a nonprofit called Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine that makes it clear that only vegan food can be brought into the workplace. Potential employees are notified before they are hired and it’s in the offer letter. It’s very likely that the pool of potential employees is self-selected. 

And clearly this is not the same as insisting vegetarians eat meat. Not having meat in a particular setting is not the same as forcing other people to eat something. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    mace1229 said:

It does happen, in limited examples, and from what I’ve seen it is legal. There is a nonprofit called Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine that makes it clear that only vegan food can be brought into the workplace. Potential employees are notified before they are hired and it’s in the offer letter. It’s very likely that the pool of potential employees is self-selected. 

And clearly this is not the same as insisting vegetarians eat meat. Not having meat in a particular setting is not the same as forcing other people to eat something. 
    I'm actually very surprised.
    And I didn't say force them to eat meat, just said they'd have to enjoy their veggie meal elsewhere. 
    I'm curious what their reasons are behind this. If it is for health reasons (allergies or something) then I could see that. If it is because they think meat is murder and are trying to push their beliefs on you then I'm surprised they are allowed to force their beliefs in the workplace.

If that is why I really don't see a difference in saying meat is murder so please don't eat it here and saying God is fake please don't pray during your lunch hour.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

And I didn't say force them to eat meat, just said they'd have to enjoy their veggie meal elsewhere. 
    I'm curious what their reasons are behind this. If it is for health reasons (allergies or something) then I could see that. If it is because they think meat is murder and are trying to push their beliefs on you then I'm surprised they are allowed to force their beliefs in the workplace.

If that is why I really don't see a difference in saying meat is murder so please don't eat it here and saying God is fake please don't pray during your lunch hour.
    Right, or as apposed to “only vegan foods”, wouldn’t that open the door to some company saying that “only meat” is allowed or “no fruits or vegetables allowed”?  All seem a bit ridiculous.  I probably would choose not to work at any of the above places that try to dictate people’s diets.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Right, or as apposed to “only vegan foods”, wouldn’t that open the door to some company saying that “only meat” is allowed or “no fruits or vegetables allowed”?  All seem a bit ridiculous.  I probably would choose not to work at any of the above places that try to dictate people’s diets.
    I would choose to work with Paul McCartney. IN A GOD DAMN HEARTBEAT.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Meh, to each their own.  He might be fun to jam with, but I don’t know that I want an egomaniac of that level bossing me around on a daily basis.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Meh, to each their own.  He might be fun to jam with, but I don’t know that I want an egomaniac of that level bossing me around on a daily basis.
    Well, go knock doors for Ted Cruz instead then. 

To each his own.

Haha.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Well, go knock doors for Ted Cruz instead then. 

To each his own.

Haha.
    Yeah, have no desire to work for Ted Cruz either...haha

• Options
    You lost me at “flower dusted salads”, but it does look like it would make a great fishing/hunting cabin :)
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Just another day in ‘Murica with another “responsible” gun owner.

https://apple.news/ANhmPSfXqSiCVTimSqHrheQ
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Yea, lets arm all the teachers. Makes a whole lot of sense. In fact, it seems “responsible.”

https://apple.news/AsMFKC2fyT6qDAjeNNO6raA

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006

When a person uses a gun for a crime they are not responsible...

We are all responsible human beings until we are not.
  • Options

Those with guns more so than others.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Those with guns more so than others.
    And often with more consequences than others. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    Surprised to see, or not see I guess, any mention of the shooting in Charlotte last night on a college campus. Not many details on motive yet, but handgun was used.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/us/unc-charlotte-shooting.amp.html
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Surprised to see, or not see I guess, any mention of the shooting in Charlotte last night on a college campus. Not many details on motive yet, but handgun was used.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/us/unc-charlotte-shooting.amp.html
    A couple of posts up I had linked to it. Only 2 killed though. Just another day in ‘Murica.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited May 2019
    tbergs said:

A couple of posts up I had linked to it. Only 2 killed though. Just another day in ‘Murica.
    We're getting coverage of it up here.
    I personally always pay extra attention to the campus shootings, since I work on a university campus. Even in Canada, I do have that small worry about an active shooter situation on my campus. A LOT of students struggle with mental health issues, and those issues often lead to their failure at school, which can really get them aggravated. I've seen it happen to students many times over the years, and I've seen several of them become aggressive over it... and they often blame the administrators or professors or TAs for those troubles. We are the ones "making them fail" as far as they are concerned.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    tbergs said:

Wasn't a race crime, no assault weapon was used, wasn't in a place of worship.  The news and the rest of the world doesn't have outrage unless one of those 3 boxes are ticked.

People die every day in Chitown but because they are poor brown people the news doesn't care about that either.
  • Options
    Well, that didn’t take long. Just another day in ‘Murica.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/ohio-apartment-killing/index.html

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Another oh so “responsible” gun owner doing and being what responsible gun owners do and be. Maybe just make all cars come with guns so all car possessor’s and users above the age of two will be “responsible?” Detroit? You listening?

https://apple.news/AbpbMOmXrTmm91CHDioIRiQ

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.