Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    This shit has to stop. I do not understand how anyone can sit there and do nothing.

I had been moving away from having no go issues when voting....but this one is quickly becoming a new one.

Fuck the NRA. Fuck any idiot that thinks it’s more important for them to have fun then kids to have their lives. Fuck anyone that thinks it’s more I portent to pretend like they can overthrow the government than it is that kids get to grow up, go to school, go to prom and live a normal life.

Fuck ‘em. Stick their guns up their ass. Then let them decide if someone should have the right to pull the fucking trigger and kill someone.
    I've kind of ducked this incident having either gotten jaded about these things (not likely) or just fucking fed up (that's the one) with school shootings.  You nailed it here, Cincy.  Absolutely.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Speaking of sad...
    https://goldentranscript.net/stories/stem-school-students-walk-out-shooting-vigil-amid-frustration,280428
    These kids deserve to vent and be heard well more than politicians and gun control groups.  What a slap in the face to the children that thought they were attending a vigil...instead of a political rally.

It would be better if neither the vigil or the rally were necessary.  But our gun culture seems to be an impediment to that. 
    No doubt ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    mickeyrat said:

The spin on this is very good.  I completely disagree but it is very good.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    mickeyrat said:

It’s perfect. It’s reality. They are on the front lines.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    mickeyrat said:

Liberty is a bloodthirsty bitch. Demanding more and more in payment for freedom......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

We act like going to school here is the same as in Israel or some other war torn country, it's not.

Insert "school children" with any other type of person you'd like and it would fit and still be spin, be it police, military, clergy men, take your pick.

It's spin on a situation that the author and a bunch of you apparently agree with which is a shame.  This is what good propaganda and press does to manipulate a way of thinking.

Coming on here always bothers me and I forget that.  I really need to stay off here...

Happy Friday everyone.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,841
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

We act like going to school here is the same as in Israel or some other war torn country, it's not.

Insert "school children" with any other type of person you'd like and it would fit and still be spin, be it police, military, clergy men, take your pick.

It's spin on a situation that the author and a bunch of you apparently agree with which is a shame.  This is what good propaganda and press does to manipulate a way of thinking.

Coming on here always bothers me and I forget that.  I really need to stay off here...

Happy Friday everyone.

How many more school shootings would there need to be to move it from "spin" to reality for you?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.
    Happy Friday.  I don’t really understand your point about spin. I mean everything is spun by anyone using data to make a point.  

But the reality is we Us we have a gun problem in the US. And we have a powerful organization that wants people to fear the government and do whatever it takes, even when that involves putting children at school at risk, putting people in the workplace at risk, putting people at movies at risk, putting people at concerts at risk, to keep their guns and unlimited ammo. 

When your stance on gun control in the face of this reality is to not even budge a little. Then you (the general you) are the problem. To have an incident of any type and not do anything to prevent future instances is to be negligent and part of the problem 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    edited May 2019
    The only reason not to make guns illegal is that there are too many guns out there and only criminals will end up having them.  Otherwise, 99.9% of the population does not need to hunt for food, and we can figure out how to control the deer population.

But, regarding “spin”, the schools, workplaces, bars, concerts, etc... getting shot up all the time are happening and are why this “spin” is changing people minds.  I say the “spin” is actually a “reality check”.   

NRA has human blood on its hands.  If you still are a card carrying member that is not voting out the current leadership, you have human blood on your hands.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

How many more school shootings would there need to be to move it from "spin" to reality for you?
    I guess if we keep thanking the kids for sacrificing their lives for it then it can go on forever.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.
    Happy Friday.  I don’t really understand your point about spin. I mean everything is spun by anyone using data to make a point.  

But the reality is we Us we have a gun problem in the US. And we have a powerful organization that wants people to fear the government and do whatever it takes, even when that involves putting children at school at risk, putting people in the workplace at risk, putting people at movies at risk, putting people at concerts at risk, to keep their guns and unlimited ammo. 

When your stance on gun control in the face of this reality is to not even budge a little. Then you (the general you) are the problem. To have an incident of any type and not do anything to prevent future instances is to be negligent and part of the problem 
    I didn’t read your post before my reply.  Completely agree that the “wait and see” or “no action is needed” crowd are deeply, deeply ignorant of what is happening, or putting their irrational love of their guns over the lives of other people.  Gun owners deep down long for the day they can shoot an intruder that statistically is never going to come.  Otherwise, they wouldn’t sit on their hands when schools keep getting shot up.

Signed,
    37 year old who has defied the odds to live this long without owning a gun
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

I agree with the first sentence in the last paragraph.  We have gone back and forth on here about what can be done.

My coming into the discussion again was the wording in the poster the man is holding, not about what can, should and won't be done with gun control.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

I didn’t read your post before my reply.  Completely agree that the “wait and see” or “no action is needed” crowd are deeply, deeply ignorant of what is happening, or putting their irrational love of their guns over the lives of other people.  Gun owners deep down long for the day they can shoot an intruder that statistically is never going to come.  Otherwise, they wouldn’t sit on their hands when schools keep getting shot up.

Signed,
    Wish we had this outrage when the hoods were getting shot up... I don't recall it though.

Saying that a gun owner wants to shoot someone?  Wow.  I guess people that join the military dream of killing people too?  Or a firefighter loves when a building is burning?

I can only take so many comments like these...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,
    Wish we had this outrage when the hoods were getting shot up... I don't recall it though.

Saying that a gun owner wants to shoot someone?  Wow.  I guess people that join the military dream of killing people too?  Or a firefighter loves when a building is burning?

yeah, I personally don't see how gun owners as a whole deep down long to shoot someone. that's just ludicrous. I'd put that at about .01% of gun owners. 

I have friends who own guns. Only for hunting. they don't long for anything other than hanging out with their manly friends shooting living things and being manly. LOL. 

We won't get anywhere with the moderate gun owner crowd if we keep insulting the entire lot. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I do think that anyone that owns a firearm should have training and repeated safety training.  If they have refresher courses in everything else you do to be certified in something then I see no reason why you can't do that too.

Liability should be on a gun owner too, not a manufacturer or the safety class.  Owning one comes with responsibility, que in H2M's "responsible" quote now please.

Try and get sensible laws passed like I mentioned and there would be more people to maybe, just maybe follow suit.

I don't know maybe I'm delusional?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

yeah, I personally don't see how gun owners as a whole deep down long to shoot someone. that's just ludicrous. I'd put that at about .01% of gun owners. 

I have friends who own guns. Only for hunting. they don't long for anything other than hanging out with their manly friends shooting living things and being manly. LOL. 

We won't get anywhere with the moderate gun owner crowd if we keep insulting the entire lot. 
    Gun owners aren’t going to change regardless.

But the alternative is they love hunting so much that they are willing to sacrifice some kids in the process.  So, either you love hunting more than other peoples’ kids, or you are clinging upon all hope that the statistics are wrong and that you will need a gun to kill someone even if that means kids have to go to school fearing their school will be next.  

I was wondering if some people just don’t get angry about stuff, but I guess being accused of wanting to shoot someone is the bright line.  Kids getting shot up on schools though isn’t enough to get a reaction out of some people. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,678
    I do think that anyone that owns a firearm should have training and repeated safety training.  If they have refresher courses in everything else you do to be certified in something then I see no reason why you can't do that too.

Liability should be on a gun owner too, not a manufacturer or the safety class.  Owning one comes with responsibility, que in H2M's "responsible" quote now please.

Try and get sensible laws passed like I mentioned and there would be more people to maybe, just maybe follow suit.

I don't know maybe I'm delusional?
    “Responsible” gun owners get lumped in because they’re not telling the NRA to fuck off or vote the idiots in office out in significant enough numbers to make a difference, despite polling showing they support common sense gun control reform. The “responsible” gun owner remains part of the problem even if they don’t dream of shooting anyone or ever fire their guns.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

But the alternative is they love hunting so much that they are willing to sacrifice some kids in the process.  So, either you love hunting more than other peoples’ kids, or you are clinging upon all hope that the statistics are wrong and that you will need a gun to kill someone even if that means kids have to go to school fearing their school will be next.  

I was wondering if some people just don’t get angry about stuff, but I guess being accused of wanting to shoot someone is the bright line.  Kids getting shot up on schools though isn’t enough to get a reaction out of some people. 
    "Sacraficing kids"= spin, stop it.

First sentence says it all so what are we doing here?

I do agree with you that sometimes people do not get angry at things.  People whom are, motivate and organize to make change and that is how things get done.

Certain things don't get me angry and I don't understand why it does for others but I guess that is their passion?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

"Sacraficing kids"= spin, stop it.

First sentence says it all so what are we doing here?

I do agree with you that sometimes people do not get angry at things.  People whom are, motivate and organize to make change and that is how things get done.

Certain things don't get me angry and I don't understand why it does for others but I guess that is their passion?
    I am being an ass, I know.  You are a good dude.  But action is needed and the gun crowd or the powerful, connected part of the crowd will never let it happen.  Even small steps like background checks or some sort of limit on automatic weapons.    The more people die, and no action is taken, the rhetoric will continue to grow stronger and stronger against gun proponents.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

I disagree with that assessment. I have seen very little push back on gun control reform in this thread from gun owners. I think they are just as disgusted with the current state of affairs as non-gun owners. But I think it's a problem when we start lumping all gun owners into the "you don't give a shit about the murdered kids" box. it's simply not true. I mean, what is being expected of them? not all of them are NRA members (are any besides McGruff actual NRA members?), so what are they not doing that we (and by we, I mean US members of this fan club) are? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I mean, I'll probably get thrashed from the "false equivalency" crowd, but why, as liberals, do we:

-say it's not all muslims when a muslim carries out a terrorist attack, and when people lash out at the muslim community for not speaking up against muslim extremists, we say it's not their job to do so, because it's not really islam the terrorist is preaching, etc, yet...
    -when someone shoots up a school or a movie theatre, we liberals expect gun owners to step up and fix the gun problem?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

I disagree with that assessment. I have seen very little push back on gun control reform in this thread from gun owners. I think they are just as disgusted with the current state of affairs as non-gun owners. But I think it's a problem when we start lumping all gun owners into the "you don't give a shit about the murdered kids" box. it's simply not true. I mean, what is being expected of them? not all of them are NRA members (are any besides McGruff actual NRA members?), so what are they not doing that we (and by we, I mean US members of this fan club) are? 
    I don’t think you’re correct. Many of the gun owners that post on here say they would consider “gun control reform” when it’s theoretical, but given any specific legislation they are up in arms about “slippery slopes” and “it doesn’t even make any logical sense”. Plus a few have outright said they don’t support any reform. 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Back to square 1 it always ends up like this in this thread ...sad but it’s reality 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

I don’t think you’re correct. Many of the gun owners that post on here say they would consider “gun control reform” when it’s theoretical, but given any specific legislation they are up in arms about “slippery slopes” and “it doesn’t even make any logical sense”. Plus a few have outright said they don’t support any reform. 

I've seen a few say they are more than happy to back laws that make sense. But I think it is PJ Power that is against "feel good laws" or whatever he called them that do something to inhibit gun owners but in his opinion will do nothing to curb the problem. Now, I don't know enough about stats and what laws would actually facilitate change and which ones are just political points, but I would imagine there is some truth to what he is saying. 

I guess maybe our perceptions are just different. I don't see a lot of anti-gun reform here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Back to square 1 it always ends up like this in this thread ...sad but it’s reality 
    100% true Jose.

I've seen a few say they are more than happy to back laws that make sense. But I think it is PJ Power that is against "feel good laws" or whatever he called them that do something to inhibit gun owners but in his opinion will do nothing to curb the problem. Now, I don't know enough about stats and what laws would actually facilitate change and which ones are just political points, but I would imagine there is some truth to what he is saying. 

I guess maybe our perceptions are just different. I don't see a lot of anti-gun reform here. 
    PJ Power does have a point with those "feel good laws".

Also to Bootlegger this is what happens when you bring things like this into a gun debate you said "Even small steps like background checks or some sort of limit on automatic weapons." 

Just so you understand there is a limit and huge background check for owning automatic weapons.  Any person with gun knowledge would slam you for that statement but I understand what you are getting at.  Some sort of compromise on "assault type weapons" I would think is what you mean?

• Options
    I mean, I'll probably get thrashed from the "false equivalency" crowd, but why, as liberals, do we:

-say it's not all muslims when a muslim carries out a terrorist attack, and when people lash out at the muslim community for not speaking up against muslim extremists, we say it's not their job to do so, because it's not really islam the terrorist is preaching, etc, yet...
    -when someone shoots up a school or a movie theatre, we liberals expect gun owners to step up and fix the gun problem?
    I expect both. I believe the Muslim community is not as engaged as it should be. 

But that’s for a different thread. And I’m sure many of the liberals here will disagree with me as you say. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

The devil is in the details, and the details never seem good enough.  

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

It is spin.

Happy Friday everyone.

Signed,

The devil is in the details, and the details never seem good enough.  

sorry, often, I'm not sure I know what you mean here. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Because the issues are completely different. 

With gun control, we expect and hope that gun owners, the so-called good guys, will advocate for effective gun legislation that will help to reduce gun violence.

With terrorist attacks, what sort of legislative change are we expecting or hoping that Muslims would lobby for? What do you see making a difference? I don’t recall actually seeing the Muslim community argue against laws regarding terrorism or taking a pro-terrorism stance the way that gun owners take a pro-gun stance. 

Both are societal issues, but I see the two groups reacting quite differently in their responses. 
This discussion has been closed.