America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    edited October 2015
    So if pj doesn't tour the U.S. I have some extra money that I m gonna use for a new rifle. Any suggestions? I live in nj so we have some tight restrictions, although not as bad to my northern neighbors. Maybe an ar? I d love an ak because they are cheap to shoot.
    Budget is $900. Maybe an auto ordinance tommy gun?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:

So if pj doesn't tour the U.S. I have some extra money that I m gonna use for a new rifle. Any suggestions? I live in nj so we have some tight restrictions, although not as bad to my northern neighbors. Maybe an ar? I d love an ak because they are cheap to shoot.

You know what's funny about your post.
    I haven't a clue what a gun costs.
    I don't even know what $900 can get you. (I didn't google this yet either)
  • mcgruff10 said:

You want fun to plink around?

Check out the Calico Liberty series. I had the pre-ban collapsable stock version. Get the speed loader with it if you do.

If you go with the AK do yourself a favor and get a beta mag for some extra fun.

mcgruff10 said:

You want fun to plink around?

Check out the Calico Liberty series. I had the pre-ban collapsable stock version. Get the speed loader with it if you do.

If you go with the AK do yourself a favor and get a beta mag for some extra fun.
    Yeah just plink around. The gun club I belong to has a nice 200 yard range.
    I ll check out what you suggested although I have a feeling they are not available in nj.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    when you finally get married you have to watch out for guns anywhere lol
  • Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    edited November 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

you can get a "Blemished" rifle, AR or AK for a real good price. In reality there is nothing at all wrong with these rifles, maybe a scratch. Buds Gun Shop has them pretty often. Usually in the 500-600 range. You could use the remaining budget for a descent optic and upgrade some accessories like handgaurds, grip, stock, back up iron sights, muzzle device.
    Post edited by Stickman12 on

mcgruff10 said:

you can get a "Blemished" rifle, AR or AK for a real good price. In reality there is nothing at all wrong with these rifles, maybe a scratch. Buds Gun Shop has them pretty often. Usually in the 500-600 range. You could use the remaining budget for a descent optic and upgrade some accessories like handgaurds, grip, stock, back up iron sights, muzzle device.
    Awesome info!! Thanks!!!
  • Where can us gun opponents buy ourselves some beads, flowers, mood rings and John
    Lennon glasses? I'm looking for some beads from the 'tune in... turn on... drop out' series.

Hopefully the recycled variety, but not too choosy!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    mcgruff10 said:

Have you ever looked at the Ruger Mini-14? IIRC, you have an M1 Garand. The Ruger is a scaled-down version of the M-14 and shares a lot of attributes with the Grand action. You can get them cheap, they have a ton of aftermarket support and I think you can find them in 223, 5.56, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout. (The .30 caliber models are called Mini-30.)
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

Have you ever looked at the Ruger Mini-14? IIRC, you have an M1 Garand. The Ruger is a scaled-down version of the M-14 and shares a lot of attributes with the Grand action. You can get them cheap, they have a ton of aftermarket support and I think you can find them in 223, 5.56, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and 300 Blackout. (The .30 caliber models are called Mini-30.)
    wow really good call! the mini-14 is pretty bad ass. I seriously might have to look into this one. I never knew they were available in 7.62X39...that would save a lot of money as compared to a 5.56. I have two garands and absolutely love them. Thanks for the advice!
  • mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

wow really good call! the mini-14 is pretty bad ass. I seriously might have to look into this one. I never knew they were available in 7.62X39...that would save a lot of money as compared to a 5.56. I have two garands and absolutely love them. Thanks for the advice!
    If your looking at 7.62X39 Im a big fan of Zastava N-PAP. Either rifle or pistol will be well below $900. Also if your into classic rifles, I would recommend a SKS. Both options leave plenty of room to get accessories as well.
    I ve always wanted a sks. Decisions decisions.

Where can us gun opponents buy ourselves some beads, flowers, mood rings and John
    Lennon glasses? I'm looking for some beads from the 'tune in... turn on... drop out' series.

Hopefully the recycled variety, but not too choosy!

Wal-Mart.
    edited November 2015

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Would you all feel better if there was a national gun confiscation program so no one would have guns?

no I would feel better if our culture didn't make us feel like we all needed guns

I would also feel better if the NRA represented gun owners instead of gun manufacturers
    I agree with the first part of your post. It's quite the hole we have dug for ourselves. The changes needed won't come from new legislation either. It has to start at the individual level. People have to want to stop killing each other.
    I agree with the second part of his post as well.
    The NRA is certainly not without complicity when it comes to striking down Gun Reform. But, a lot of the proposed bills related to the matter contain a lot of backdoor political bullshit.

For example, the bill for Universal Background Checks contained language that would make someone a felon by handing a gun to someone else without first doing a background check. So if you are a law abiding citizen and you take a friend to the range, you can't even hand your gun to your friend. If you do and don't have a background check first, now you are a felon. Also, if you go on vacation for over a week, you can't have a friend house sit if you have guns (locked in a safe) even if you are both legally allowed to own guns. No background check? Felony.

While I might not agree with everything the NRA does or everything Wayne Lapierre says, they are fighting to preserve the rights of law-abiding Americans.

How is it that the NRA only represents gun manufacturers and not gun owners?
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Would you all feel better if there was a national gun confiscation program so no one would have guns?

no I would feel better if our culture didn't make us feel like we all needed guns

I would also feel better if the NRA represented gun owners instead of gun manufacturers
    I agree with the first part of your post. It's quite the hole we have dug for ourselves. The changes needed won't come from new legislation either. It has to start at the individual level. People have to want to stop killing each other.
    The NRA is certainly not without complicity when it comes to striking down Gun Reform. But, a lot of the proposed bills related to the matter contain a lot of backdoor political bullshit.

For example, the bill for Universal Background Checks contained language that would make someone a felon by handing a gun to someone else without first doing a background check. So if you are a law abiding citizen and you take a friend to the range, you can't even hand your gun to your friend. If you do and don't have a background check first, now you are a felon. Also, if you go on vacation for over a week, you can't have a friend house sit if you have guns (locked in a safe) even if you are both legally allowed to own guns. No background check? Felony.

While I might not agree with everything the NRA does or everything Wayne Lapierre says, they are fighting to preserve the rights of law-abiding Americans.
    That is grade A bullshit. They are fighting to keep gun manufacturer profits up, if there is an overlap with citizens' rights, it is only coincidental.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

That is grade A bullshit. They are fighting to keep gun manufacturer profits up, if there is an overlap with citizens' rights, it is only coincidental.
    Care to explain?
  • mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'd stay away from an SKS. You have to change out the stripper clip for a banana clip. Not a big deal but still a change.

The Mini 14 is BEAUTIFUL but in 223 or 556 it's expensive to shoot. The M1 might not be able to be used in your range too.

Go with an AK or something in 9MM. Cheap to plink around with and won't break the bank.
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

I would say this is grade A bull shit.

mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'd stay away from an SKS. You have to change out the stripper clip for a banana clip. Not a big deal but still a change.

The Mini 14 is BEAUTIFUL but in 223 or 556 it's expensive to shoot. The M1 might not be able to be used in your range too.

Go with an AK or something in 9MM. Cheap to plink around with and won't break the bank.
    Stupid ass laws in nj prevent me from putting a detachable clip on a sks. Makes zero sense. I m gonna start looking into ak s or the mini 14.
    Yowzers, all this gun talk is giving me a headache...
    I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.
  • rgambs said:

I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.

It is a hobby or pastime… $1G for a Benny record? Not too far fetched...

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

It is a hobby or pastime… $1G for a Benny record? Not too far fetched...
    Hahaha maybe I am a poor tightwad because that Sounds even worse!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Like a flight to Thailand or something.

eddiec said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

I'm thinking Brazil.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/
  • rgambs said:

eddiec said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

I'm thinking Brazil.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/
    I watched that smart gun piece on 60 min.

No way that'll ever work. Interesting concept though.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I'm moving to a state that welcomes gun owners, can't wait !!!!

Godfather.
    rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

You ve never spent $900 on a hobby? Please don't get into fishing, hunting, snowboarding, beer making, racing, off roading, bike riding.....
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Does travel count as a hobby?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    ldent42 said:

To me it does.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    g
    ldent42 said:

Only if traveling to see the boys. :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
This discussion has been closed.