America's Gun Violence

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    Good call! That's my go-to recommendation for someone looking for their first rifle. Really, every legal gun owner should have one. Accurate, reliable, lots of aftermarket options and cheap to shoot. They still scare the anti-gunners, though. It doesn't matter that it's just a. 22lr, it's semi-automatic so it's an assault weapon meant to kill everything in its path.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:

Good call! That's my go-to recommendation for someone looking for their first rifle. Really, every legal gun owner should have one. Accurate, reliable, lots of aftermarket options and cheap to shoot. They still scare the anti-gunners, though. It doesn't matter that it's just a. 22lr, it's semi-automatic so it's an assault weapon meant to kill everything in its path.

22 is very deadly! How does it load? I'm assuming it is a clip?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    No, it loads from a magazine. Factory mags hold 10 rounds but larger capacity mags are available.

Actually, there might be models that come stock with 25 round magazines now.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

I already have a semi auto .22 lr but I m thinking with five kids I need another. The ruger 10/22 stands the test of time. I m going for it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Are you serious? Yeah you could definitely kill someone with it but get real. Show me some stories involving mass murders and .22's.
    They're extra deadly to squirrels and rabbits.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

Are you serious? Yeah you could definitely kill someone with it but get real. Show me some stories involving mass murders and .22's.
    Wasn't a 22 handgun a good tossable hit job weapon? Even one person killed is horrific.

Do you guys mind starting your own thread about this little tangential sidebar you are engaged in?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Sure. I guess if you're not on the "guns are all evil" bandwagon you're not welcome here.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    dudeman said:

Sure. I guess if you're not on the "guns are all evil" bandwagon you're not welcome here.

Topic is gun violence. As much a human failing as the means from that failing.

I swore an oath in the navy. That hasn't changed.

I asked respectfully and without judgement. Please respect that and thread integrity. It isnt too much to ask.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited November 2015
    dudeman said:

Not at all. But it does seem rather inappropriate to discuss what you're discussing in a thread that is about gun violence. Quite distasteful.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    In a thread about gun violence, I guess I felt that it was important to illustrate that not everyone who owns a gun is going to use it for violence. I'm not a murderer and I'm pretty sure mcgruff isn't either.
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

I worked in the surgical unit of a major hospital, I can tell you for sure that .22 wounds in the abdomen are some of the worst. The bullet has a tendency to bounce around in the ribcage and make a mess of things.
  • PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Not at all. But it does seem rather inappropriate to discuss what you're discussing in a thread that is about gun violence. Quite distasteful.
    I agree, I thought it was pretty bizarre to go off on such a tangent discussing what guns ye might buy

It was so bizarre I actually didn't know what to say, so thanks for saying something!
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

I asked respectfully and without judgement. Please respect that and thread integrity. It isnt too much to ask.
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks a thread about tragic loss of life by guns shouldn't be the wankery zone for gun hobbyists.
    edited November 2015
    Yeah I m the distasteful guy looking for a new gun amongst the mass of anti gunners here on this forum. It s amazing that no matter what caliber you talk about the anti gunners have a problem with them. I learned to shoot a .22 ar age 8 And it was semi automatic!!!
    Yeah this thread s is about America s gun violence but the vast vary majority are responsible gun owners. i m not expecting to change people s opinions but There are a heck of a lot of instances where law abiding citizens use weapons to protect themselves.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah I m the distasteful guy looking for a new gun amongst the mass of anti gunners here on this forum. It s amazing that no matter what caliber you talk about the anti gunners have a problem with them. I learned to shoot a .22 ar age 8 And it was semi automatic!!!
    Yeah this thread s is about America s gun violence but the vast vary majority are responsible gun owners. i m not expecting to change people s opinions but There are a heck of a lot of instances where law abiding citizens use weapons to protect themselves.

Aye that's as may be but a good point was made when it was suggested that you'd be better starting your own thread for such a discussion rather than derailing this one

mcgruff10 said:

Aye that's as may be but a good point was made when it was suggested that you'd be better starting your own thread for such a discussion rather than derailing this one
    how am i derailing? i'm showing that there is an another side to the projected view of confederate flag waving nra for life pro 2nd amendment people in the usa. see how I had an actual discussion on what rifle to buy next. and do you see no matter what caliber of rifle I wanted to buy the anti gun people had a problem with it? I went from an ar-15 to a freaking .22 LR and people still had an issue. And for me that's why the NRA is around because no matter what some anti 2nd amendment folks won't be happy until the majority of weapons are illegal.
  • mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

I understand. There should be one.

What's funny though is the anti gun people will go and stink it up and claim that "it's an open forum" and all that good stuff, no?

Mcgruff start an "enthusiast" page.

Oh and a "clip" and a "magazine" are one in the same...
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

you are trying to credit the op's thesis and I'm trying to disprove it. so only anti 2nd amendment people can post in this thread?
    you swearing an oath to the navy is the same as me voting every year since I was 18 (i'm 37) and teaching middle school history for the past 15 years; simply put we both are citizens in our own way and both have opinions. I 'm not seeing disrespect on the pro 2nd amendment side at all.
  • This thread was intended to discuss the problem of American gun violence, I don't really see how a discussion of the merits of various guns bears any relation to that topic.

Should you wish to discuss that in another thread then have at it, I disagree with the suggestion that anti-gun people would interfere with such a thread. Personally, I just wouldn't read it
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    mcgruff10 said:

I don't feel like anyone disputes that many gun owners are responsible. That doesn't make it any more appropriate to talk about gun specs and gun shopping in a thread about gun violence and gun deaths. No more than it would be to talk about, say, what the best knives are and where to get them sharpened in a thread about stabbing deaths.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Of course we can't stop you having such a discussion in this thread, freedom of speech and all. We are, however, free to express our objections
  • PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

I don't feel like anyone disputes that many gun owners are responsible. That doesn't make it any more appropriate to talk about gun specs and gun shopping in a thread about gun violence and gun deaths. No more than it would be to talk about, say, what the best knives are and where to get them sharpened in a thread about stabbing deaths.
    Exactly, frankly I'm amazed (and more than a little concerned) that this isn't blindingly obvious
    edited November 2015
    I think it's as appropriate as people not living in the united states talking about gun problems in the united states.
    my point being, how can people across an ocean or bordering to the north have any clue what it's like living here in the u.s.? I would never pass opinions on a country's equivalent to the United States Constitution.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

how am i derailing? i'm showing that there is an another side to the projected view of confederate flag waving nra for life pro 2nd amendment people in the usa. see how I had an actual discussion on what rifle to buy next. and do you see no matter what caliber of rifle I wanted to buy the anti gun people had a problem with it? I went from an ar-15 to a freaking .22 LR and people still had an issue. And for me that's why the NRA is around because no matter what some anti 2nd amendment folks won't be happy until the majority of weapons are illegal.
    Scruffy...

It kind of comes across like you're rubbing it in people's faces. In a thread about gun violence... when you speak so celebratory about guns... you get what I'm saying?

I don't think that's what your intent was.

On the AET forum... start a thread about guns for the gun enthusiast thread. I will not enter it to piss on the mood there. I might enter it to read perspectives though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    edited November 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

I think it's as appropriate as people not living in the united states talking about gun problems in the united states.
    my point being, how can people across an ocean or bordering to the north have any clue what it's like living here in the u.s.? I would never pass opinions on a countries supreme law of the land because I don't live there.

I disagree and my brother and his family live in Virginia so I damn well care about nutters going round murdering people with freely available guns

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Scruffy...

It kind of comes across like you're rubbing it in people's faces. In a thread about gun violence... when you speak so celebratory about guns... you get what I'm saying?

On the AET forum... start a thread about guns for the gun enthusiast thread. I will not enter it to piss on the mood there. I might enter it to read perspectives though.
    dirty I'm not rubbing it in people's faces. I'm just proving that no matter what you buy people will have a problem with it (that's called a set up...see how I went from an Ar-15/ak-47 to a .22 LR?). And that's the problem that 2nd amendment people have. where do the gun laws end? No way does anyone want to be like austrlia.
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah this thread s topic is about America s gun violence but the vast vary majority are responsible gun owners. i m not expecting to change people s opinions but There are a heck of a lot of instances where law abiding citizens use weapons to protect themselves.

I think I was 10 when I first shot a .22, I wouldn't advocate any caliber bans. I do take issue with some of the appointments and modifications...that's why I asked if it was different than a standard tube magazine .22. I had to counter your idea that .22's aren't deadly because it's just false.
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah this thread s topic is about America s gun violence but the vast vary majority are responsible gun owners. i m not expecting to change people s opinions but There are a heck of a lot of instances where law abiding citizens use weapons to protect themselves.

I think I was 10 when I first shot a .22, I wouldn't advocate any caliber bans. I do take issue with some of the appointments and modifications...that's why I asked if it was different than a standard tube magazine .22. I had to counter your idea that .22's aren't deadly because it's just false.
    yeah i'll just counter with my own words:
    "Are you serious? Yeah you could definitely kill someone with it but get real. Show me some stories involving mass murders and .22's."

what appointments and modifications make a weapon more deadly? the expandable stock? a muzzle flash? scope? the slick black cosmetics instead of wood making it look oh so scary.... (whoa so deadly...)
  • mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Scruffy...

dirty I'm not rubbing it in people's faces. I'm just proving that no matter what you buy people will have a problem with it (that's called a set up...see how I went from an Ar-15/ak-47 to a .22 LR?). And that's the problem that 2nd amendment people have. where do the gun laws end? No way does anyone want to be like austrlia.
    I hear what you're saying.

Make sure you hear what I'm saying: I'm okay with hunting rifles and shotguns. I support people's right to hunt for their food. In some cases, I support ownership of a sidearm where need can be demonstrated (rancher, deep woods worker, etc.).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.