America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,857
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited October 2015
    g under p said:
    Yeah, NOT, lol. And yes, funny. The Onion is fantastic nearly 100% of the time!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    mickeyrat said:
    don't read the comments below the article. so predictable.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mickeyrat said:
    don't read the comments below the article. so predictable.

Neither did I.
    But I liked his new understanding
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    PJ_Soul said:

g under p said:
    Yeah, NOT, lol. And yes, funny. The Onion is fantastic nearly 100% of the time!
    I always liked this one:

http://www.theonion.com/video/manufacturer-recalls-hollow-point-bullets-that-fai-14319
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,530
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    it seems we could have a thread on Chicago gun violence alone.

new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Absolutely could. Be great to know from where these guns used in chicago crime come from.

My opinion is they have started as legally purchased then resold for the street. Now the legal purchase is only on paper of course. Damn shame we arent allowed to track these nondealer shadow sales.

mickeyrat said:

Absolutely could. Be great to know from where these guns used in chicago crime come from.

My opinion is they have started as legally purchased then resold for the street. Now the legal purchase is only on paper of course. Damn shame we arent allowed to track these nondealer shadow sales.
    They could come from anywhere. That's why it is so important to have a national gun policy instead of making every municipality crate their own. Gary, IN isn't that far from Chicago. Go buy a gun there and then go to Chicago....easy

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,682
    I have to say it again because I find this a bit mind blowing- the are about 700 arms manufacturers worldwide. That's a lot of death industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_armament_manufacturers
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    brianlux said:

I have to say it again because I find this a bit mind blowing- the are about 700 arms manufacturers worldwide. That's a lot of death industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_armament_manufacturers

http://youtu.be/6ShRIOIeuSE
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/salina-kansas-movie-theater-accidental-shooting
    A man accidentally shot himself in the leg during a Friday night showing of "Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials" in the central-Kansas city of Salina.

Cody Deneault, 24, was adjusting the handgun in his pants pocket during the film when it went off, according to the Salina Post on Monday.

Deneault was taken to the hospital with a non-fatal wound. No other injuries were reported.

Tim Coleman, a father who took his 12-year-old daughter and her friend to the movie, told the Salina Journal on Sunday he wasn't worried about an "active shooter" because he only heard one shot.

Coleman, a Army veteran, told the newspaper that his military training kicked in and he helped by making a tourniquet with Deneault's belt. While they waited for paramedics, Deneault told him that he had a concealed carry permit.

According to one couple in the theater, it happened about 45 minutes into the movie. Heather Myers told KWCH she thought the popping sound was a bag of candy being opened.

"This guy started shouting 'Oh my God, I just shot myself! I just got my concealed and carry,' and then everybody jumped up and that's when we heard call 9-11," Myers said.

A new state law allows gun owners to carry concealed weapons without any training or a permit. It went into effect in July.

"I believe in protecting yourself, but it is scary knowing they're in public places," Myers told KWCH. "I feel absolutely terrible for the gentleman that shot himself, but the first thing I thought of was thank God he didn't shoot anybody else."
    This is why some of us want to require training, registration, etc. Perfect example. Now...what if he had accidentally killed someone? More guns = more senseless death

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/36305746-story 10/19/15
    DETROIT - Another robbery victim fights back after he's targeted at a Detroit bus stop. The 23-year-old had officially become a Concealed Pistol License holder a couple of weeks ago and after what happened Sunday night - it was just in time.

Tremain, who doesn't want to be identified because his family fears retaliation, says his brother had just finished work and was waiting for the bus at Schaefer and West Outer Drive on the west side when three teens confronted him.

One pulled out a gun and demanded his money.
    "They threatened him and told him if he moved they were going to blow him which is a term for I'm going to kill or shoot you if you move," Tremaine said. "And that's what ended up happening."
    One of the suspects reached into the victim's pocket and stole $220. The trio became excited about the money they just nabbed and became distracted - at that moment the CPL holder pulled out his gun and fired.

He hit the16-year-old in the chest and the 17-year-old in the leg. The 19-year-old took off running.

"We are glad that he didn't lose his life and he protected himself," said Tremaine. "He was in fear of his life he didn't know what to do he didn't know this was going to happen to him."

The 23-year-old CPL holder called Detroit police. FOX 2 learned the two wounded suspects went to find medical help at Sinai Grace Hospital across the street from the scene. They told the ER they were walking down the street when they were held up and shot.

But investigators put it together and realized they had their suspects. One of the teens eventually confessed to this crime and others and further evidence was found on their Facebook pages.

Tremain, who is also a CPL holder, believes this is a perfect example of why he and his brother have no choice but to carry in a city that is plagued by this sort of crime.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013
    mcgruff10 said:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/36305746-story 10/19/15
    DETROIT - Another robbery victim fights back after he's targeted at a Detroit bus stop. The 23-year-old had officially become a Concealed Pistol License holder a couple of weeks ago and after what happened Sunday night - it was just in time.

Tremain, who doesn't want to be identified because his family fears retaliation, says his brother had just finished work and was waiting for the bus at Schaefer and West Outer Drive on the west side when three teens confronted him.

One pulled out a gun and demanded his money.
    "They threatened him and told him if he moved they were going to blow him which is a term for I'm going to kill or shoot you if you move," Tremaine said. "And that's what ended up happening."
    One of the suspects reached into the victim's pocket and stole $220. The trio became excited about the money they just nabbed and became distracted - at that moment the CPL holder pulled out his gun and fired.

He hit the16-year-old in the chest and the 17-year-old in the leg. The 19-year-old took off running.

"We are glad that he didn't lose his life and he protected himself," said Tremaine. "He was in fear of his life he didn't know what to do he didn't know this was going to happen to him."

The 23-year-old CPL holder called Detroit police. FOX 2 learned the two wounded suspects went to find medical help at Sinai Grace Hospital across the street from the scene. They told the ER they were walking down the street when they were held up and shot.

But investigators put it together and realized they had their suspects. One of the teens eventually confessed to this crime and others and further evidence was found on their Facebook pages.

Tremain, who is also a CPL holder, believes this is a perfect example of why he and his brother have no choice but to carry in a city that is plagued by this sort of crime.

Now that's a feel good story. Thanks for sharing,
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    +1 for the non criminals.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited October 2015
    Ahhhh how we love it when criminals get killed.

More than one gun, death/injury. One gun = loose $220 dollars.
    And this easily could have turned into a shoot out.

So criminals will just learn people have guns and get trigger fingers. So in the end more victims will be shot. and all the great guns all the good guys have will fall into the hands of the bad guys or their children or used during emotionally charged events.

So more guns=more deaths. BUT we got these bastards. Woo hoo.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    callen said:

So criminals will just learn people have guns and get trigger fingers. So in the end more victims will be shot. and all the great guns all the good guys have will fall into the hands of the bad guys or their children or used during emotionally charged events.

yup.
    Smellyman said:

callen said:

yup.
    Such a killjoy. Hehe

• callen said:

I love it when the criminals get killed. its a lot better than them getting away with a crime and repeating the crime and adding to the list of victims.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    callen said:

isn't it better than the law abiding citizen getting killed? and it didn't turn into a shoot out. you can't play the what if game with every single story that shows law abiding citizens protecting themselves.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

isn't it better than the law abiding citizen getting killed? and it didn't turn into a shoot out. you can't play the what if game with every single story that shows law abiding citizens protecting themselves.
    But you can in regards to regulation.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Albuquerque road-rage shooting leaves girl, 4, dead, police say

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/albuquerque-road-rage-girl-shot-1.3281775

Nuts
    mcgruff10 said:

callen said:

That's just it. Robbers want your stuff not to shoot you. Most robberies aren't violent but add a second gun and it's guaranteed shooting. This guy and all those around him were lucky. Rather person next to me getting robbed not have a gun. Also as pointed out in earlier post robbers will become more trigger happy thinking more have guns.
    Add all those that will get killed by good guy guns being stolen or used by law abiding citizens since they aren't super humans. Just schmucks like the rest of us. Suicides, domestic issues.

Not celebrating this story. Too many downsides.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG

mickeyrat said:

That's the thing, humans are idiots. And we want to arm them.
  • It's official.
    America has a problem. http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/chocolate-lab-named-trigger-accidentally-shoots-owner-in-the-foot
    Lock yourselves up. Your country is no longer safe.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    And they say dark chocolate is good for you.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.