America's Gun Violence

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If you are buying a gun for the purpose of using it on the range to test your aiming skills why not just buy an olympic style high powered air rifle? Why does it have to be some weapon that was made for the purpose of killing multiple people very quickly and efficiently?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    eddiec said:

If you are buying a gun for the purpose of using it on the range to test your aiming skills why not just buy an olympic style high powered air rifle? Why does it have to be some weapon that was made for the purpose of killing multiple people very quickly and efficiently?

why watch the same movie over and over again ? why buy a sports car when you can buy a bus pass ?

Godfather.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Yowzers, all this gun talk is giving me a headache...
    I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.

You ve never spent $900 on a hobby? Please don't get into fishing, hunting, snowboarding, beer making, racing, off roading, bike riding.....
    I have, in all candor, I am simply being judgemental about the hobby you choose. I have shot many guns, and frankly, I find it to be a juvenile pursuit with devastating consequences to society as a whole and many individual victims along the way.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • eddiec said:

why watch the same movie over and over again ? why buy a sports car when you can buy a bus pass ?

Godfather.

Why hunt a mountain goat when you can hunt an elephant?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • eddiec said:

Some of those guns cost thousands...
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.

You ve never spent $900 on a hobby? Please don't get into fishing, hunting, snowboarding, beer making, racing, off roading, bike riding.....
    I have, in all candor, I am simply being judgemental about the hobby you choose. I have shot many guns, and frankly, I find it to be a juvenile pursuit with devastating consequences to society as a whole and many individual victims along the way.
    Not everyone that owns a gun has become a victim nor disrupts society...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Because elephants are protected?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

eddiec said:

Some of those guns cost thousands...
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Not everyone that owns a gun has become a victim nor disrupts society...
    Of course not, but the hobby as a whole has serious collateral damage.
  • mickeyrat said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Read the comment I was speaking towards to figure out what I was getting at.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861

mickeyrat said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Oh I get it now. Mountain goats are harder to kill cuz of mountains and shit
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    eddiec said:

Because I'm responsible and will use it at the range. An air rifle? Why buy a car when you can buy a moped?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    mcgruff10 said:

eddiec said:

Because I'm responsible and will use it at the range. An air rifle? Why buy a car when you can buy a moped?
    An Olympic 'air' rifle is probably the most accurate shooting weapon out there. So comparing to a moped doesn't really work. The only difference is it can't be used as an assault rifle.
  • mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

Oh I get it now. Mountain goats are harder to kill cuz of mountains and shit
    No, you don't get it.
    eddiec said:

mcgruff10 said:

eddiec said:

An Olympic 'air' rifle is probably the most accurate shooting weapon out there. So comparing to a moped doesn't really work. The only difference is it can't be used as an assault rifle.
    Yes I know that. Why the hell would I buy an air rifle? I already have some BB guns for my kids.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    eddiec said:

Why can't he buy whatever he wants as long as it's legal in his state? Who are you to decide how someone else spends their time and money?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

So are you saying that Mcgruff buying another gun puts society at risk? That's an interesting view point.
    edited November 2015
    dudeman said:

eddiec said:

Why can't he buy whatever he wants as long as it's legal in his state? Who are you to decide how someone else spends their time and money?
    He surely can, but in a thread about the tragic problems we have with gun violence in America, his musings on which machine with mass killing capabilities he will next purchase should be expected to be met with a certain amount of criticism.
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

So are you saying that Mcgruff buying another gun puts society at risk? That's an interesting view point.
    No, I am saying that gun hobbyists as a whole put society at risk.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • dudeman said:

eddiec said:

I don't think it's a case of deciding how someone spends their money as much as it is concerned how someone else spends their money,

There's a gun problem, dudeman, in your country. When people buy more guns... there are more guns to do the work that ultimately leads to 16,000+ gun murders per annum.

Now... in Scruffy's case... I have a growing sense of confidence in him securing his weapons in such a way that they will never snuff the life out of someone. In fact... I'm all for Scruffy buying cool guns so that when I visit him in NY... I can obliterate a paper target of Callen's choice at the range Scruffy frequents (likely a middle aged white man with a white collar job).
  • http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/colorado-man-goes-on-murderous-rampage-after-911-dispatcher-lectures-panicked-caller-on-open-carry-law/

This was predictable. Open carry laws are bad for everyone.

Keep in mind that the open carry laws were ignored in Ohio last year when that kid got shot by police in Wal Mart for carrying a toy gun.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-1-dead-in-shooting-at-gage-park-business-20151031-story.html
    Police: Customer with concealed carry license kills robber

A robbery was thwarted at a Southwest Side corner store Saturday night when a patron with a concealed carry license shot and killed an armed robber, authorities said.he dead man has been identified as Reginald Gildersleeve, 55, of the 5000 block of South California Avenue, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. Gildersleeve was pronounced dead on the scene at 7:10 p.m., according to the medical examiner's office. An autopsy is slated for Sunday.

Citing preliminary information, police said a man walked into a store in the 2700 block of West 51st Street in the Gage Park neighborhood around 7 p.m., announced a robbery to an employee working behind the counter and displayed a handgun.

Another employee came from the back of the store, and the gunman pointed his weapon at her, police said. He then made her go to the back of the store, which also serves as a currency exchange.

After that, a customer who was also inside the business pulled out a gun and opened fire at the robber, killing him, police said. Police initially said the robber was possibly in his 40s.

Police said the shooter has a valid concealed carry license and a valid firearm owner's identification card.

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

I don't think it's a case of deciding how someone spends their money as much as it is concerned how someone else spends their money,

There's a gun problem, dudeman, in your country. When people buy more guns... there are more guns to do the work that ultimately leads to 16,000+ gun murders per annum.

Now... in Scruffy's case... I have a growing sense of confidence in him securing his weapons in such a way that they will never snuff the life out of someone. In fact... I'm all for Scruffy buying cool guns so that when I visit him in NY... I can obliterate a paper target of Callen's choice at the range Scruffy frequents (likely a middle aged white man with a white collar job).
    dirty the only gun you will be shooting is my olympic style bb gun! those things have quite a kick!!!! I honestly don't think you could handle anything else.
    and i live in new jersey! you live in manitoba right? ;)
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

He surely can, but in a thread about the tragic problems we have with gun violence in America, his musings on which machine with mass killing capabilities he will next purchase should be expected to be met with a certain amount of criticism.
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

gun hobbyists, a very very responsible bunch of people, put society at risk? lots of murders at gun ranges huh?
    it's juvenile to collect guns as a hobby? why do you care that I have guns? How does it directly impact you whether or not I own an ar-15 or ak-47?
    maybe i'll collect pj stickers instead since that's the definition of a "mature hobby".
    edited November 2015
    eddiec said:

mcgruff10 said:

eddiec said:

the olympic air rifles are used in 10 meter competitions although some pellet guns are accurate up to a whooping 30 to 40 yards (people squirrel hunt with them). However I usually shoot between 100 and 300 yards; I'm thinking they wouldn't be too accurate at those distances. next time I go to the range I'll set my target up 10 meters away and i'll take pictures of the results and post them here.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

maybe i'll collect pj stickers instead since that's the definition of a "mature hobby".
    Once you do put one on your gun and post the pic. :lol:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Once you do put one on your gun and post the pic. :lol:
    you are on!!!
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

gun hobbyists, a very very responsible bunch of people, put society at risk? lots of murders at gun ranges huh?
    it's juvenile to collect guns as a hobby? why do you care that I have guns? How does it directly impact you whether or not I own an ar-15 or ak-47?
    Gun hobbyists sustain the gun industry and thereby contribute to organizations that block common sense gun legislation, and the manufacturers they buy from do the same.
    Gun culture is a real issue here, and if you think your AR is not connected to the 9mm some kid in Chicago used in a murder, you are seriously misguided.
    It's like using drugs and pretending you have nothing to do with cartel violence.

Collecting PJ merch does not qualify as a mature or worthy hobby in my book either, but there aren't any threads about sticker murders so I don't jump on them lol
  • mcgruff10 said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dirty the only gun you will be shooting is my olympic style bb gun! those things have quite a kick!!!! I honestly don't think you could handle anything else.
    and i live in new jersey! you live in manitoba right? ;)
    British Columbia.

Just make sure when I fire it I don't have it backwards- thumb on the trigger and peering down the barrel!

In all seriousness... the biggest 'kick' I ever had against my shoulder was my dad's .30-06. I was young at the time and the gun was intimidating, but I shot it (never at an animal). I spent most of my time shooting our .22 and our .410 shotgun (all birds).

I haven't shot a gun in over two decades.
    edited November 2015
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Gun hobbyists sustain the gun industry and thereby contribute to organizations that block common sense gun legislation, and the manufacturers they buy from do the same.
    Gun culture is a real issue here, and if you think your AR is not connected to the 9mm some kid in Chicago used in a murder, you are seriously misguided.
    It's like using drugs and pretending you have nothing to do with cartel violence.

Collecting PJ merch does not qualify as a mature or worthy hobby in my book either, but there aren't any threads about sticker murders so I don't jump on them lol
    how the hell is me owning an ar-15 and using it responsibly in New jersey have any sort of connection to what goes on in chicago? chicago has some of the strongest gun laws in the country. your connections are very weak.
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

how the hell is me owning an ar-15 and using it responsibly in New jersey have any sort of connection to what goes on in chicago? chicago has some of the strongest gun laws in the country. your connections are very weak.
    By contributing to organizations that fight ferociously to protect the laws that create the gun pipelines that supply urban crime zones, and by supporting a culture that allows it.
    edited November 2015
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Your so-called "common sense gun laws" get blocked because there is always a politically motivated cluster of crazy shit tacked on at the last minute, right before the vote. Luckily, some politicians still insist on reading bills before voting on them.

I understand that you despise the gun culture and you feel like guns are bad. That's okay. Some of us disagree. That's okay too.

Isn't freedom great?
    Post edited by dudeman on
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Your so-called "common sense gun laws" get blocked because there is always a politically motivated cluster of crazy shit tacked on at the last minute, right before the vote. Luckily, some politicians still insist on reading bill before voting on them.

I understand that you despise the gun culture and you feel like guns are bad. That's okay. Some of us disagree. That's okay too.

Isn't freedom great?
    I don't despise it, I just have a good bit of disdain for it. I grew up around guns, I own a few, it just isn't all its cracked up to be.
    Political shit tacked on is the norm. That's why most of the things we need done don't happen. Most of it is poison pill material.
This discussion has been closed.