• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

If you are buying a gun for the purpose of using it on the range to test your aiming skills why not just buy an olympic style high powered air rifle? Why does it have to be some weapon that was made for the purpose of killing multiple people very quickly and efficiently?

Why can't he buy whatever he wants as long as it's legal in his state? Who are you to decide how someone else spends their time and money?
    He surely can, but in a thread about the tragic problems we have with gun violence in America, his musings on which machine with mass killing capabilities he will next purchase should be expected to be met with a certain amount of criticism.
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Yowzers, all this gun talk is giving me a headache...
    I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.

You ve never spent $900 on a hobby? Please don't get into fishing, hunting, snowboarding, beer making, racing, off roading, bike riding.....
    I have, in all candor, I am simply being judgemental about the hobby you choose. I have shot many guns, and frankly, I find it to be a juvenile pursuit with devastating consequences to society as a whole and many individual victims along the way.
    So are you saying that Mcgruff buying another gun puts society at risk? That's an interesting view point.
    No, I am saying that gun hobbyists as a whole put society at risk.
    gun hobbyists, a very very responsible bunch of people, put society at risk? lots of murders at gun ranges huh?
    it's juvenile to collect guns as a hobby? why do you care that I have guns? How does it directly impact you whether or not I own an ar-15 or ak-47?
    maybe i'll collect pj stickers instead since that's the definition of a "mature hobby".
    Gun hobbyists sustain the gun industry and thereby contribute to organizations that block common sense gun legislation, and the manufacturers they buy from do the same.
    Gun culture is a real issue here, and if you think your AR is not connected to the 9mm some kid in Chicago used in a murder, you are seriously misguided.
    It's like using drugs and pretending you have nothing to do with cartel violence.

Collecting PJ merch does not qualify as a mature or worthy hobby in my book either, but there aren't any threads about sticker murders so I don't jump on them lol
    how the hell is me owning an ar-15 and using it responsibly in New jersey have any sort of connection to what goes on in chicago? chicago has some of the strongest gun laws in the country. your connections are very weak.
    By contributing to organizations that fight ferociously to protect the laws that create the gun pipelines that supply urban crime zones, and by supporting a culture that allows it.
    I guess I didn't realize that gun laws created pipelines that supply urban crime zones. I thought it was illegal transfers, thefts and murderers getting their guns from friends and family members that supplied urban crime zones.

So, I guess, gun laws are bad?

You certainly have a dizzying intellect.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

If you are buying a gun for the purpose of using it on the range to test your aiming skills why not just buy an olympic style high powered air rifle? Why does it have to be some weapon that was made for the purpose of killing multiple people very quickly and efficiently?

Why can't he buy whatever he wants as long as it's legal in his state? Who are you to decide how someone else spends their time and money?
    He surely can, but in a thread about the tragic problems we have with gun violence in America, his musings on which machine with mass killing capabilities he will next purchase should be expected to be met with a certain amount of criticism.
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

I can't stop thinking of all the things I would buy with 900$ before I bought another gun.
    It's a pretty long list.

You ve never spent $900 on a hobby? Please don't get into fishing, hunting, snowboarding, beer making, racing, off roading, bike riding.....
    I have, in all candor, I am simply being judgemental about the hobby you choose. I have shot many guns, and frankly, I find it to be a juvenile pursuit with devastating consequences to society as a whole and many individual victims along the way.
    So are you saying that Mcgruff buying another gun puts society at risk? That's an interesting view point.
    gun hobbyists, a very very responsible bunch of people, put society at risk? lots of murders at gun ranges huh?
    it's juvenile to collect guns as a hobby? why do you care that I have guns? How does it directly impact you whether or not I own an ar-15 or ak-47?
    maybe i'll collect pj stickers instead since that's the definition of a "mature hobby".
    Gun hobbyists sustain the gun industry and thereby contribute to organizations that block common sense gun legislation, and the manufacturers they buy from do the same.
    Gun culture is a real issue here, and if you think your AR is not connected to the 9mm some kid in Chicago used in a murder, you are seriously misguided.
    It's like using drugs and pretending you have nothing to do with cartel violence.

Collecting PJ merch does not qualify as a mature or worthy hobby in my book either, but there aren't any threads about sticker murders so I don't jump on them lol
    how the hell is me owning an ar-15 and using it responsibly in New jersey have any sort of connection to what goes on in chicago? chicago has some of the strongest gun laws in the country. your connections are very weak.
    By contributing to organizations that fight ferociously to protect the laws that create the gun pipelines that supply urban crime zones, and by supporting a culture that allows it.
    I guess I didn't realize that gun laws created pipelines that supply urban crime zones. I thought it was illegal transfers, thefts and murderers getting their guns from friends and family members that supplied urban crime zones.

You have never heard of the Iron Pipeline? It doesn't take a dizzying intellect to keep up.
    Some gun laws are bad. The ones that prohibit databases to catalog and track gun sales for instance, allowing Joe criminal to buy hundreds to smuggle out of state. That's just one example of the industry fighting sensibility.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    eddiec said:

Hope of penile enlargement would be my guess.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • callen said:

eddiec said:

Hope of penile enlargement would be my guess.
    That would explain why the ranges have been packed recently. And here I thought it was because of the weather.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,050
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

You have never heard of the Iron Pipeline? It doesn't take a dizzying intellect to keep up.
    Some gun laws are bad. The ones that prohibit databases to catalog and track gun sales for instance, allowing Joe criminal to buy hundreds to smuggle out of state. That's just one example of the industry fighting sensibility.
    The way that post reads it that you think Joe Criminal is protected by law. He isn't. Smuggling guns is illegal.

An interesting case of this is Fast and Furious, where gun dealers were specifically instructed to disobey the law and sell large quantities of weapons to known traffickers. The idea was to track the guns to see if they ended up in Mexico. Well, they did and Americans died. The only way they got through was the order to disregard the law in the first place.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited November 2015
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

The way that post reads it that you think Joe Criminal is protected by law. He isn't. Smuggling guns is illegal.

An interesting case of this is Fast and Furious, where gun dealers were specifically instructed to disobey the law and sell large quantities of weapons to known traffickers. The idea was to track the guns to see if they ended up in Mexico. Well, they did and Americans died. The only way they got through was the order to disregard the law in the first place.
    And thousands upon thousands of Americans are dying by guns now and Texas gun dealers area making a killing selling guns to those that take them back to Mexico so it is a problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Of course it is illegal, that's why I called him Joe criminal and said he was smuggling.
    If only there was a way we could track gun sales and aggregate the data... Joe criminal would be out of business pretty fast and in the big house.

Fast and furious is relevant how?
    Fast n furious last Bengazi.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

eddiec said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

It's a pretty long list.

Sure he is. Joe criminal can conduct dark sales all day long. Legally.

Joe criminal is only legal on paper.

If that isnt shielding please enlighten me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Question?

A "street gun" goes for far less than a gun over the counter so how are people making profits off these?

I can buy a 9mm off the streets way cheaper than in a store, way cheaper.

So how do gun dealers make money off these type of sales?

Just curious.

Question?

A "street gun" goes for far less than a gun over the counter so how are people making profits off these?

Just curious.

Where do you live? Guns are much cheaper in Gun permissive states than they are in restrictive states, so there is profit to be made.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Where do you live? Guns are much cheaper in Gun permissive states than they are in restrictive states, so there is profit to be made.
    no they are not, this is completely wrong. The same ar-15 can be found pretty much at the same price across the nation. you can find them cheaper at cabela's or bass pro because they are a huge chain as compared to a mom and pop store. it's not like restrictive states add an extra tax on the sale of the gun like they do on cigarette purchases.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

no they are not, this is completely wrong. The same ar-15 can be found pretty much at the same price across the nation. you can find them cheaper at cabela's or bass pro because they are a huge chain as compared to a mom and pop store. it's not like restrictive states add an extra tax on the sale of the gun like they do on cigarette purchases.
    I'm talking about the black market price.
  • rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

So a 9mm in the store costs $400 for a cheaper model. Let's say a Taurus.
    I can go down the street and purchase that gun for 100-250.
    So who is making the profit if I initially paid for 400 and now have to sell for half that?

If the gun was stolen then it's all cash money but if sold by a gun dealer I'm not seeing that.

Please explain further.

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

So who is making the profit if I initially paid for 400 and now have to sell for half that?

If the gun was stolen then it's all cash money but if sold by a gun dealer I'm not seeing that.

Please explain further.
    Used versus new.

Initial point was legal gun purchases bring guns to criminal element.

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.
    Might be that gun has a body on it or other ballistic traceable crime. YOU get found with well after and whos on the hook now?

Might be considered an acceptable loss assuming also its already earned the initial cost back and then some.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.
    Might be that gun has a body on it or other ballistic traceable crime. YOU get found with well after and whos on the hook now?

Might be considered an acceptable loss assuming also its already earned the initial cost back and then some.
    I get that^.

What I don't is how a gun dealer who sells mass amounts of guns makes a profit? He's selling "illegal" guns or new guns or what?

If it's a used hand gun and he is a licensed firearms dealer he is supposed to report what he is selling and the person whom sold it to him has a paper trail.

But if I'm selling my gun I'm getting what it's worth, if I'm buying illegal guns I'm not paying anywhere near full price.

So again where and whom are getting profits?

mickeyrat said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.

I get that^.

What I don't is how a gun dealer who sells mass amounts of guns makes a profit? He's selling "illegal" guns or new guns or what?

If it's a used hand gun and he is a licensed firearms dealer he is supposed to report what he is selling and the person whom sold it to him has a paper trail.

But if I'm selling my gun I'm getting what it's worth, if I'm buying illegal guns I'm not paying anywhere near full price.

So again where and whom are getting profits?
    Dealer have paperwork.

How I believe it works is, someone of a mind to act as middleman or "private dealer" would make legal purchases from licensed dealers, proper checks and all that. They would then sell it to a contact for more than purchase price with no records needed of the sale. It gets filtered down through many hands after use etc

Or thise who cant otherwise buy legally with checks etc , use want ads craigslist etc for private sales.

Here in Ohio nothing is required by law to engage in a private sale. No checks, no records of sale, nothing. Heres the gun give me the cash.

Those less than retail price guns out there were either stolen from a "responsible owner" or have been around awhile changing hands repeatedly.

Black market guns aren't coming direct from licensed sellers to the street.

• ^ so the gun gets sold cheaper than the initial price through each sale then.

That's not very good business practices...

^ so the gun gets sold cheaper than the initial price through each sale then.

Lol. Great point!!
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol. Great point!!
    I would expect money was gained through the use of these guns before being resold.

So tng how are you so sure you are able to get a 9mm for 200 as you stated above?

Looks like my conjecture was off base.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/08/12/inside-the-black-market-for-guns/

mickeyrat said:

Looks like my conjecture was off base.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/08/12/inside-the-black-market-for-guns/
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.
    I didn't think this sounded correct, but I didn't have time for due diligence. According to the ATF they do sell for higher than retail. What state do you live in?
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.
    I didn't think this sounded correct, but I didn't have time for due diligence. According to the ATF they do sell for higher than retail. What state do you live in?
    NY and notice I said a Taurus which is a mid level gun. That article said as little as 1-200 which is what I said for it.

I'm bowing out of this conversation now.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.
    NY and notice I said a Taurus which is a mid level gun. That article said as little as 1-200 which is what I said for it.

1-200 more than retail I believe it said.
    Stick around, there's always more to learn and teach.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.

you are a smart man. I shall bow out too...dirty hit me up to shoot when you eventually find new jersey on a map.
  • rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.

Yep. I read that wrong.

Still only 1-200 for a gun. Come to NY. I'll teach you what can't be read in an article, lol.

Now I'm off to talk about stickers.

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

Question?

Just curious.

Please explain further.

Yep. I read that wrong.

Still only 1-200 for a gun. Come to NY. I'll teach you what can't be read in an article, lol.

Now I'm off to talk about stickers.

i freaking love stickers. the mature hobby!
    Geez I just realized what myself and every other pj fan should be buying for obvious reasons: the ruger 10/22!!!!! I think I m gonna get one tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.