America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,855
    Says near. Not ON. And it was singular( still bad of course). ..
    .Lot of depressed areas around colleges due to the itenerant nature of the housing. Off campus has a greater potential for crime in general.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,855
    dankind said:

In some states they have cops there on school grounds.

I personally wouldn't want a teacher carrying even if they had training. It's not something they should have to worry about.

We had an armed police officer at my schools in Florida.

Quick minutes from the Everytown for Gun Safety conference call last night:

We are going to call on President Obama to take executive actions to remove exemptions that let dangerous people carry guns near our children's schools; make sure high-volume gun sellers become licensed dealers and are required to conduct background checks for all gun sales; ensure that federal law enforcement notifies local law enforcement when dangerous criminals try to illegally buy guns at dealers in their community; help states that require background checks for all gun sales to enforce existing laws on the books; and not let convicted domestic abusers buy guns just because they're not married to the person they abused (research report here) -- none of which would require approval from Congress.

We are also continuing to develop a gun sense voting platform. It's all up for grabs in Virginia in 2016, and resident Andy Parker (Alison's father) is making it his mission to see that those seats are occupied by officials who will do their jobs by listening to their constituency and supporting commonsense gun laws. He called on Virginia residents to join him in this campaign. The gun sense voting platform will also be expanded beyond Virginia, to the wider federal and local ballot boxes in 2016.

Overall, it was a positive call, our numbers our up to 3 million members vs. the NRA's 4.5 million, and we've only been around since 2012.

Thank you for your time.
    Wonder how many are gun owners and NRA members supporting this?

It may take an additional effort from a CounterNRA owner lobby to force things along.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    edited October 2015
    mickeyrat said:

dankind said:

In some states they have cops there on school grounds.

I personally wouldn't want a teacher carrying even if they had training. It's not something they should have to worry about.

We had an armed police officer at my schools in Florida.

Quick minutes from the Everytown for Gun Safety conference call last night:

We are going to call on President Obama to take executive actions to remove exemptions that let dangerous people carry guns near our children's schools; make sure high-volume gun sellers become licensed dealers and are required to conduct background checks for all gun sales; ensure that federal law enforcement notifies local law enforcement when dangerous criminals try to illegally buy guns at dealers in their community; help states that require background checks for all gun sales to enforce existing laws on the books; and not let convicted domestic abusers buy guns just because they're not married to the person they abused (research report here) -- none of which would require approval from Congress.

We are also continuing to develop a gun sense voting platform. It's all up for grabs in Virginia in 2016, and resident Andy Parker (Alison's father) is making it his mission to see that those seats are occupied by officials who will do their jobs by listening to their constituency and supporting commonsense gun laws. He called on Virginia residents to join him in this campaign. The gun sense voting platform will also be expanded beyond Virginia, to the wider federal and local ballot boxes in 2016.

Overall, it was a positive call, our numbers our up to 3 million members vs. the NRA's 4.5 million, and we've only been around since 2012.

Thank you for your time.
    Wonder how many are gun owners and NRA members supporting this?

It may take an additional effort from a CounterNRA owner lobby to force things along.
    Plenty of gun owners are members. But considering that NRA members are asked to block everything that Everytown for Gun Safety is trying to do, I doubt there's much overlap between the two organizations.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Imagine these shootings kept happening but they were being carried out by random Islamic extremists. Now imagine how immediate and crushingly violent the US governments response would be? And weirder still you'd see the NRA/gun lobby knuckle draggers throw their full support behind the government response, simply cos it was a Muslim did it.

the American attitude towards gun ownership is so insane.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671

Imagine these shootings kept happening but they were being carried out by random Islamic extremists. Now imagine how immediate and crushingly violent the US governments response would be? And weirder still you'd see the NRA/gun lobby knuckle draggers throw their full support behind the government response, simply cos it was a Muslim did it.

If it was Muslim extremists the gun lobby and it's supporters would be the first to blame President Obama
  • Imagine these shootings kept happening but they were being carried out by random Islamic extremists. Now imagine how immediate and crushingly violent the US governments response would be? And weirder still you'd see the NRA/gun lobby knuckle draggers throw their full support behind the government response, simply cos it was a Muslim did it.

I can just imagine the NRA's response: "Only armed citizens can stop the Muslim threat!" This would simply be another rallying call for gun owners. In the US, events which should give people reason to pause and reconsider gun ownership are quickly subverted by the gun lobby and become justification for increased gun ownership and fewer restrictions.

• clearly the answer is to ban schools.

#nralogic
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    I can't help but wonder, what is happening in schools these days that makes people want to shoot them up?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:

I can't help but wonder, what is happening in schools these days that makes people want to shoot them up?

Failure on many levels: notably the social level.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dudeman said:

Too many awards for participating
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited October 2015
    dudeman said:

Easy Access to efficient killing instruments and add lots and lots of humans.

So guns are here and humans are here so it is what it is.

Guns + Hunans= Death.

Oh how wonderful it must be to live in gun free culture/country.

But fuck that I have my rights and you'll have to pry my gun from my cold dead hand. Yeay!!!!

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    dudeman said:

I think it's because schools, particularly high schools, are (and have always been) a morass of nasty cliques and social exclusion. I don't think there's even a way around this, given the time of life/developmental stage of those who are there. Not an easy time for anybody, but it always appears that everyone else is more popular, more attractive, more cool than you are. How many times did you fantasize about getting revenge against those you believed made your life more difficult in high school? I know I did, though not with a gun. These guys just carry that through, and to extremes. The easy availability of guns make it possible.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

dudeman said:

I think it's because schools, particularly high schools, are (and have always been) a morass of nasty cliques and social exclusion. I don't think there's even a way around this, given the time of life/developmental stage of those who are there. Not an easy time for anybody, but it always appears that everyone else is more popular, more attractive, more cool than you are. How many times did you fantasize about getting revenge against those you believed made your life more difficult in high school? I know I did, though not with a gun. These guys just carry that through, and to extremes. The easy availability of guns make it possible.
    Human nature. Yep.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890

mcgruff10 said:

What do you guys think about having teachers carry? Would that be a deterrent ? An of course before they carry they d need training, backgroud check, mental health check, proper certification, annual tests....

As a teacher in an inner city school the last thing I want to think about is taking a gun into school with my lesson plans for the day.

I've never understood the line of thought of arming teachers. Has anyone ever bothered to asked or polled teachers if they want to carry a sidearm? Have those that pushed this idea ever met, or been around teachers? They're mostly a bunch of softies who despise any shape or form of violence. I've been in education for a while and know a lot of teachers from around the country. I can honestly say that I don't know of one educational professional who supports this idea or who wants to pack heat in the classroom. It's just bullshit dreamt up by the NRA to support their "Die Hard" ideology of everyone longing to be John McClain kicking ass and blasting away the bad guy.

Now I can support police in/outside of schools. But that costs money, so that isn't a feasible answer (at least to some people).
    I also think that the idea of arming teachers is abaolutely fucking ridiculous, said as the child of two educators.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

What do you guys think about having teachers carry? Would that be a deterrent ? An of course before they carry they d need training, backgroud check, mental health check, proper certification, annual tests....

As a teacher in an inner city school the last thing I want to think about is taking a gun into school with my lesson plans for the day.

I've never understood the line of thought of arming teachers. Has anyone ever bothered to asked or polled teachers if they want to carry a sidearm? Have those that pushed this idea ever met, or been around teachers? They're mostly a bunch of softies who despise any shape or form of violence. I've been in education for a while and know a lot of teachers from around the country. I can honestly say that I don't know of one educational professional who supports this idea or who wants to pack heat in the classroom. It's just bullshit dreamt up by the NRA to support their "Die Hard" ideology of everyone longing to be John McClain kicking ass and blasting away the bad guy.

Now I can support police in/outside of schools. But that costs money, so that isn't a feasible answer (at least to some people).
    I also think that the idea of arming teachers is abaolutely fucking ridiculous, said as the child of two educators.
    I agree with you PJsoul^!

In most states if your weapon gets stolen from you and used in a crime because you did not secure it properly then you are liable. This needs to be enforced in every state.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    edited October 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

of the fellow educators I ve talked to it s amazing how many are for some (the term "some" is very varied as I teach in a school with 80 teachers) teachers being allowed to Legally carry.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    What's wrong with allowing teachers to make the decision for themselves? The rest of society has the option and many choose not to carry guns. Obviously there is no "one size fits all" solution but I feel that the choice should be left to the individual.
  • dudeman said:

What's wrong with allowing teachers to make the decision for themselves? The rest of society has the option and many choose not to carry guns. Obviously there is no "one size fits all" solution but I feel that the choice should be left to the individual.

And what about the rights of the parents and children who might not want a gun in the classroom?
  • dudeman said:

And what about the rights of the parents and children who might not want a gun in the classroom?
    It is fucked up that other countries have present this question to the USA.
    Guns in schools?
    Unreal.

dudeman said:

Apparently, guns are already in the classroom. At least if there is someone present who stands a fighting chance against an armed intruder, there might not be so much mayhem before the first responders arrive.
  • dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Apparently, guns are already in the classroom. At least if there is someone present who stands a fighting chance against an armed intruder, there might not be so much mayhem before the first responders arrive.
    Like a flight marshall.
    I am happy to have one in flight.
    I am not happy to have one in a childs classroom.

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Like a flight marshall.
    Even if it means possibly saving the lives of all of the children in the classroom?
  • dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Like a flight marshall.
    Even if it means possibly saving the lives of all of the children in the classroom?
    Feels like this topic could go in circles all day and night.
    I am mixed on this idea but lean to the no.
    I would like society to get it right and treat school as a safe space.
    Guns and kids not a place to be.
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Like a flight marshall.
    Having an armed teacher does not mean it will prevent any deaths in the event of a classroom shooting.

In fact if the teacher does not have the training of a soldier or a police officer there is a greater likelihood of collateral damage.

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Like a flight marshall.
    Feels like this topic could go in circles all day and night.
    I am mixed on this idea but lean to the no.
    I would like society to get it right and treat school as a safe space.
    Guns and kids not a place to be.
    I would like society to get it right too. I really wish that violence was something that used to happen before we learned the error of our ways and evolved past it. However, we live in the present where people kill each other. Since forcing the evolutionary process to advance us into a period of universal peace isn't likely to happen, I am all for law abiding, capable people standing up to those who wish to do us harm.
    edited October 2015

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Like a flight marshall.
    Having an armed teacher does not mean it will prevent any deaths in the event of a classroom shooting.

In fact if the teacher does not have the training of a soldier or a police officer there is a greater likelihood of collateral damage.
    You're right in a sense that there are no absolutes and having armed teachers is not a guarantee of safety. But, it could possibly serve as a deterrent to school shootings in the first place.

Training is not difficult if you're training someone who takes it seriously, knows how to minimize potential risks and realizes that the gun is a last resort, not a first line of defense.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    My daughter who just went off to college sent me this. It's funny. But sad, too. I don't know the solution to the gun problem. But I think arming teachers is a terrible idea.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/10/10/ut-gun-carry-protest/
    I know I'd think twice about attacking a legion of students armed with dildos.
  • dudeman said:

I know I'd think twice about attacking a legion of students armed with dildos.

:rofl:
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
This discussion has been closed.