America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398

mcgruff10 said:

What do you guys think about having teachers carry? Would that be a deterrent ? An of course before they carry they d need training, backgroud check, mental health check, proper certification, annual tests....

so you are saying teachers would need all the things that the NRA opposes?

i call bullshit, because this is trampling all over their freedom to have a gun.

just sayin.
    Yeah they would need everything the nra opposes. Good or bad idea?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bad idea.

i know several teachers. most of them are more worried about making sure their dumbass kids learn the material on the standardized tests. every single one of them said they would quit teaching if they had to be charged with carrying a gun and defending their classroom. they went to college because they had a higher calling to be an educator. people don't go to college because they desire to make shit money and be a part of a union that is constantly being weakened. they went so they can educate the next generations. they did not go so they can play Conan the security professional.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ^^^^

I want that gun that guy's got. I change my mind- guns are cool. Who'd mess with me? Callen would start pestering me on the DP thread and I'd send him a selfie with me and my gun.

He'd back off he would.

Nobody would mess with me. Nobody.

F**ken rights. I'm doin' it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    mcgruff10 said:

What do you guys think about having teachers carry? Would that be a deterrent ? An of course before they carry they d need training, backgroud check, mental health check, proper certification, annual tests....

As a teacher in an inner city school the last thing I want to think about is taking a gun into school with my lesson plans for the day.

I've never understood the line of thought of arming teachers. Has anyone ever bothered to asked or polled teachers if they want to carry a sidearm? Have those that pushed this idea ever met, or been around teachers? They're mostly a bunch of softies who despise any shape or form of violence. I've been in education for a while and know a lot of teachers from around the country. I can honestly say that I don't know of one educational professional who supports this idea or who wants to pack heat in the classroom. It's just bullshit dreamt up by the NRA to support their "Die Hard" ideology of everyone longing to be John McClain kicking ass and blasting away the bad guy.

Now I can support police in/outside of schools. But that costs money, so that isn't a feasible answer (at least to some people).
  • Splicing teachers and security guards.

Forget sensible legislation.. just splice teachers with armed security guards and problem solved.

(I still want that badass gun)
  • ^^^^

I want that gun that guy's got. I change my mind- guns are cool. Who'd mess with me? Callen would start pestering me on the DP thread and I'd send him a selfie with me and my gun.

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!

mcgruff10 said:

As a teacher in an inner city school the last thing I want to think about is taking a gun into school with my lesson plans for the day.

I've never understood the line of thought of arming teachers. Has anyone ever bothered to asked or polled teachers if they want to carry a sidearm? Have those that pushed this idea ever met, or been around teachers? They're mostly a bunch of softies who despise any shape or form of violence. I've been in education for a while and know a lot of teachers from around the country. I can honestly say that I don't know of one educational professional who supports this idea or who wants to pack heat in the classroom. It's just bullshit dreamt up by the NRA to support their "Die Hard" ideology of everyone longing to be John McClain kicking ass and blasting away the bad guy.

Now I can support police in/outside of schools. But that costs money, so that isn't a feasible answer (at least to some people).
    i've taught for 17 years and think it's a decent idea. maybe not every teacher in the school is armed but 2 or 3. like I said, just a thought.
  • ^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha
    dirty thirty, are you on the right or left?
  • mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

i've taught for 17 years and think it's a decent idea. maybe not every teacher in the school is armed but 2 or 3. like I said, just a thought.
    Teachers need to teach, Scruffy. You know this. A gun in the classroom is not a good idea in any way, shape or form as far as I can tell.

As soon as you do that.. the stories start to emerge:
    1. Bullied kid grabs teacher's gun and kills students.
    2. Angry student kills teacher with teacher's gun.
    3. Teacher kills obnoxious student with gun.
    4. Teacher kills other teacher over photocopy dispute.
    5. Kindergarten students accidentally shoots self finding teacher's gun.

The scenarios are endless.
  • mcgruff10 said:

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha
    I like to think I'm in the middle. Seriously.

Some topics I lean heavily right... others I lean heavily left.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    REMINDER: Everytown's "Whatever It Takes" call with Andy Parker starts in ONE hour (at 9 PM ET). Dial 877-229-8493 and enter pin 114657 to connect to the call.

Call just under way.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Teachers need to teach, Scruffy. You know this. A gun in the classroom is not a good idea in any way, shape or form as far as I can tell.

As soon as you do that.. the stories start to emerge:
    1. Bullied kid grabs teacher's gun and kills students.
    2. Angry student kills teacher with teacher's gun.
    3. Teacher kills obnoxious student with gun.
    4. Teacher kills other teacher over photocopy dispute.
    5. Kindergarten students accidentally shoots self finding teacher's gun.

The scenarios are endless.
    Teachers also have to be alive to teach. I don't believe in forcing anyone to carry a gun but I do believe that the choice for a teacher to arm themselves should be theirs to make.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

mcgruff10 said:

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha

I think he was asking which one are you in the picture posted above.
  • dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha

Gawddamn scruffy.

I'm on the right in that picture. It was my grade 7 graduation celebration limo ride.

dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

Fuck yeah thirty!
    Hahahahhaha

Gawddamn scruffy.

I'm on the right in that picture. It was my grade 7 graduation celebration limo ride.
    you are seriously dense dude. geez. and like you i am on the left for some things and on the right for others. but yeah, left or right in the PICTURE lol.
  • If I ever have children, I certainly wouldn't want them in a classroom with a gun, regardless of who possesses it. Luckily, it's not something I'll ever have to worry about
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    http://www.thejournal.ie/college-shooting-arizona-us-2377886-Oct2015/

And another and another and another..................
  • In some states they have cops there on school grounds.

I personally wouldn't want a teacher carrying even if they had training. It's not something they should have to worry about.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

If I ever have children, I certainly wouldn't want them in a classroom with a gun, regardless of who possesses it. Luckily, it's not something I'll ever have to worry about

Yes you are lucky.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

The people firing in the scenarios above are responsible for every single round that they fire, just like everyone else.

Correct....and we know that people make bad decisions...especially when confronted with situations that are unique.

Moral of the story is that "more guns" is bad for everyone, even those with good intentions.
    Who is calling for more guns? We need less guns in the hands of criminals and mentally disturbed people. I think that notion is universally accepted.
    With proliferation of guns as I it is now and criminals will always have guns. Same goes for mentally ill folks not that you could identify them all and restrict their current rights.

Humans aren't so swift so even the non criminal/mentally ill can't handle guns.

So we either continue on current path of leading deaths by guns and arm everyone or actually do something to change our gun toting society. Know which society I'd rather have.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    edited October 2015

In some states they have cops there on school grounds.

I personally wouldn't want a teacher carrying even if they had training. It's not something they should have to worry about.

We had an armed police officer at my schools in Florida.

Quick minutes from the Everytown for Gun Safety conference call last night:

We are going to call on President Obama to take executive actions to remove exemptions that let dangerous people carry guns near our children's schools; make sure high-volume gun sellers become licensed dealers and are required to conduct background checks for all gun sales; ensure that federal law enforcement notifies local law enforcement when dangerous criminals try to illegally buy guns at dealers in their community; help states that require background checks for all gun sales to enforce existing laws on the books; and not let convicted domestic abusers buy guns just because they're not married to the person they abused (research report here) -- none of which would require approval from Congress.

We are also continuing to develop a gun sense voting platform. It's all up for grabs in Virginia in 2016, and resident Andy Parker (Alison's father) is making it his mission to see that those seats are occupied by officials who will do their jobs by listening to their constituency and supporting commonsense gun laws. He called on Virginia residents to join him in this campaign. The gun sense voting platform will also be expanded beyond Virginia, to the wider federal and local ballot boxes in 2016.

Overall, it was a positive call, our numbers our up to 3 million members vs. the NRA's 4.5 million, and we've only been around since 2012.

Thank you for your time.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2015

^^^^

He'd back off he would.

HA well know your a softie so wouldn't feel threatened.
    callen said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

The people firing in the scenarios above are responsible for every single round that they fire, just like everyone else.

Correct....and we know that people make bad decisions...especially when confronted with situations that are unique.

Moral of the story is that "more guns" is bad for everyone, even those with good intentions.
    Who is calling for more guns? We need less guns in the hands of criminals and mentally disturbed people. I think that notion is universally accepted.
    With proliferation of guns as I it is now and criminals will always have guns. Same goes for mentally ill folks not that you could identify them all and restrict their current rights.

Humans aren't so swift so even the non criminal/mentally ill can't handle guns.

So we either continue on current path of leading deaths by guns and arm everyone or actually do something to change our gun toting society. Know which society I'd rather have.
    Do you think we should ban private ownership of guns?

In some states they have cops there on school grounds.

It's only something they should worry about if they choose to. It should be left to individual teachers to decide for themselves, IMO.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    What the f is happening?
    Why the hell are there so many campus shootings?
This discussion has been closed.