America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    mickeyrat said:

Mom was gun ctazy too.

I always wonder if the crazy gun nuts who were convinced that Obama was "coming for their guns" six years ago think back to how absurd that line of thinking was. I'm guessing that the shooter's mom was one of those nuts.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    mcgruff10 said:
    That was good....there's hope yet but possibly not in my lifetime.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    the politics of fear are the most powerful kind........the reason why Obama will not be able to do anything about gun control.

if 300 million people fear every black kid in a hoodie and a middle eastern person with a briefcase, which is exactly what the right wants, people will clutch to those guns till death do they part.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    Conference call Thursday night:

http://act.everytown.org/signup/andy-parker-call/?source=emns_andy-parker-call&utm_source=em_n_&utm_medium=_s&utm_campaign=andy-parker-call

If you're not at target practice, I hope to hear you on the line.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,851
    Responsible gun owner parent keeping his family safe. Murica.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    mcgruff10 said:

Is mandatory evacuation drills a federal or state law? Here in nj two a month are required by law (state or federal?) but we do three to five in the middle school I teach.

You do 3 to 5 evacuation drills a MONTH??! Talk about making sure kids are living in fear. That really seems like overkill to me. So does 2 a month. Did they even do that many drills when everyone truly thought a nuclear bomb would be dropped? I doubt it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Is mandatory evacuation drills a federal or state law? Here in nj two a month are required by law (state or federal?) but we do three to five in the middle school I teach.

You do 3 to 5 evacuation drills a MONTH??! Talk about making sure kids are living in fear. That really seems like overkill to me. So does 2 a month. Did they even do that many drills when everyone truly thought a nuclear bomb would be dropped? I doubt it.
    duck and cover! the radiation always stays 4 feet in the air and never goes lower! LOL

www.headstonesband.com

• does anybody else find it fucked up that our students are doing drills for how to handle a school shooter?

let that sink in.

our children are being told how to react during a school shooting....

what the fuck happened to this country?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • does anybody else find it fucked up that our students are doing drills for how to handle a school shooter?

We have the same drills in parts of Canada - yes it's fucked up.
    It happened because of being to PC and accommodating the rights of everyone.
    It seems it is now commonplace for your American society (and slowly becoming Canada)to do nothing but react to situations lest you violate/trample their rights.
    You guys are all about rights, free speech etc yet you guys wonder why it seems like it's a free for all? - doesn't make sense.
    Anyway, you asked what the fuck happened to your country and I am just giving an opinion.
    Sometimes trampling and violating rights just may be necessary to stop a germ. Like a Kleenex, it is there. Deal with it booger.
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/oregon-shooting-gun-laws-213222

Good article on the "good guy with a gun" mentality

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited October 2015
    dudeman said:

Does anyone else find it interesting that 92% of mass shootings occur in posted "Gun Free Zones "? To a person who is bent on killing a lot of people, "Gun Free Zone " translates to Target-rich environment with little resistance".

That statistic came from the Diane Rehm Show on NPR.

I know that my thoughts and opinions on this matter aren't popular on these boards, but don't you think that there is something to be said for legalizing concealed carry to those qualified?

So you feel guns should be carried on campuses? You feel adding even more guns is an answer?

And I don't think a school being gun free or not, would of made a difference to the perp. They are already resigned to dying. The added violence of student packing will far outweigh saving of lives by rampages ending earlier cause perp stopped by someone having a gun.

does anybody else find it fucked up that our students are doing drills for how to handle a school shooter?

let that sink in.

Fk you I gots rights.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    By properly trained and qualified law abiding citizens....sure. I don't think it's coincidence that 92% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones.

I think lawful concealed carry should be allowed and if an institution wants to remain a gun free zone, they should ensure the safety of the people by employing armed personnel and conducting searches TSA-style.

Obviously, something needs to change.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited October 2015
    dudeman said:

By properly trained and qualified law abiding citizens....sure. I don't think it's coincidence that 92% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones.

I think lawful concealed carry should be allowed and if an institution wants to remain a gun free zone, they should ensure the safety of the people by employing armed personnel and conducting searches TSA-style.

Obviously. But I don't see why adding guns has to be the change. I would suggest that the changes need to be about stopping the trend of mass shootings - figuring out why this is an American problem - and that would have absolutely nothing to do with adding guns to the equation.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

does anybody else find it fucked up that our students are doing drills for how to handle a school shooter?

let that sink in.

A co worker and I was talking last night and he's older and told me he had school drills in elementary school. Similar to the air raid drills they now have in Isarel. I then said to him the time is coming where they will have shooter drills like fire drills but with a separate warning system to notifies authorities automatically. Maybe by some alarm system set up in a main school office...this set up will be in every single school in this country. That is if things stay the same with gun laws and these mass shootings continues.

It's sinking in but I think that's just crazy.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

dudeman said:

92%? That sounds like a statistic that has no basis in fact

Gun free zones usually mean that unlawful weapons cannot be possessed or sold. Someone who has a gun permit is not unlawful. Don't get hypnotized by fake right wing stats.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jay-dickey-regrets-amendment

Republican regrets ending federal gun research...there are a few honest GOP left

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

Obviously. But I don't see why adding guns has to be the change. I would suggest that the changes need to be about stopping the trend of mass shootings - figuring out why this is an American problem - and that would have absolutely nothing to do with adding guns to the equation.
    The changes that are needed are social and cultural. Additional legislation is not going to miraculously end the struggle here. People have to stop wanting to kill each other. Since murder is clearly illegal and it still happens, what makes you think more laws are the answer?

dudeman said:

Gun free zones usually mean that unlawful weapons cannot be possessed or sold. Someone who has a gun permit is not unlawful. Don't get hypnotized by fake right wing stats.
    That statistic came from a CDC study of gun violence. Churches, schools and theaters are by far the most common places that mass shootings occur.

And yes, some places allow campus carry now but most do not allow lawful concealed carry.
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

That statistic came from a CDC study of gun violence. Churches, schools and theaters are by far the most common places that mass shootings occur.

And yes, some places allow campus carry now but most do not allow lawful concealed carry.
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Please provide a link for the study

it seems pretty obvious to me the reason that most shootings occur in gun free zones isn't because they are gun free zones, it's because those are the places that the perp has some problem with and/or can inflict maximum damage in minimum time.

www.headstonesband.com

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Please provide a link for the study

Oops. My bad. It was the Crime Prevention Research Center.

it seems pretty obvious to me the reason that most shootings occur in gun free zones isn't because they are gun free zones, it's because those are the places that the perp has some problem with and/or can inflict maximum damage in minimum time.

Obviously they want to attack large crowds. Gun shows and NRA conventions attract large crowds. Why don't mass shootings happen there?
  • dudeman said:

Obviously they want to attack large crowds. Gun shows and NRA conventions attract large crowds. Why don't mass shootings happen there?
    Probably because the shooter has no personal link to such places as they do in their school or place of work etc. The location of these mass shootings is rarely random nor chosen because it is a designated gun-free zone
  • http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jay-dickey-regrets-amendment

Republican regrets ending federal gun research...there are a few honest GOP left

of course he is going to say he has regrets. the truth is out there that this is the person who is responsible for ending the research. it is either admit it now or have it brought out by opposition on the campaign trail.

• dudeman said:

because gun shows do not normally allow live ammo inside the actual show.

• dudeman said:

The NRA and related gun organizations aren't stupid: they're not just going to allow people with guns and live ammunition into their shows.

The display people would want no part of that and can you blame them? Who would?

(All for open carry and big guns... but in someone else's back yard!)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudeman said:

The NRA and related gun organizations aren't stupid: they're not just going to allow people with guns and live ammunition into their shows.

The display people would want no part of that and can you blame them? Who would?

(All for open carry and big guns... but in someone else's back yard!)
    we have actually had entire threads talking about how the nra is all about open carry with no restriction, yet everywhere outside their shows. it is an absolute joke.

all these pro gun congress people, pro gun supreme court, yet nobody can bring guns to the house, senate, or supreme court hearings. the absolute safest people are the ones making the decisions and judging the laws.

and the biggest ammosexual organization of them all does not allow live ammo at their shows. that would be like going to a porn convention that does not allow nudity.

This discussion has been closed.