America's Gun Violence

Comments

• To pj soul and gimmie...

I'm not laying the blame on him as much as I am suggesting he's in a powerful position to exert his influence.

He may have tried, but he hasn't gotten the job done. I am aware of the process that hasn't supported him.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    mickeyrat said:

GREAT READ by a former Justice..... seriously, well worth the time . Intelligent, dispassionate and learned. Goes into history of rulings and what the amnedment was understood for so long to mean

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-five-extra-words-that-can-fix-the-second-amendment/2014/04/11/f8a19578-b8fa-11e3-96ae-f2c36d2b1245_story.html?tid=sm_fb

excerpt for those not willing to walk through his set up and subsequent argument..

"As a result of the rulings in Heller and McDonald, the Second Amendment, which was adopted to protect the states from federal interference with their power to ensure that their militias were “well regulated,” has given federal judges the ultimate power to determine the validity of state regulations of both civilian and militia-related uses of arms. That anomalous result can be avoided by adding five words to the text of the Second Amendment to make it unambiguously conform to the original intent of its draftsmen. As so amended, it would read:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.” "

Justice John Paul Stevens

Had hoped for comment and ot opinion about what was written in the piece.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

GREAT READ by a former Justice..... seriously, well worth the time . Intelligent, dispassionate and learned. Goes into history of rulings and what the amnedment was understood for so long to mean

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-five-extra-words-that-can-fix-the-second-amendment/2014/04/11/f8a19578-b8fa-11e3-96ae-f2c36d2b1245_story.html?tid=sm_fb

excerpt for those not willing to walk through his set up and subsequent argument..

"As a result of the rulings in Heller and McDonald, the Second Amendment, which was adopted to protect the states from federal interference with their power to ensure that their militias were “well regulated,” has given federal judges the ultimate power to determine the validity of state regulations of both civilian and militia-related uses of arms. That anomalous result can be avoided by adding five words to the text of the Second Amendment to make it unambiguously conform to the original intent of its draftsmen. As so amended, it would read:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.” "

What about those people who aren't physically fit or young enough to join a militia? Can senior citizens and those with physical disabilities still have guns for personal protection?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

What about those people who aren't physically fit or young enough to join a militia? Can senior citizens and those with physical disabilities still have guns for personal protection?
    he explained in the article that would be up to an individual state.

Read the article.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    I did read the article. States already have the power to pass their own laws regarding guns, and they do just that.

However, by allowing states to pass laws that undermine federal laws should not be allowed. I believe this to be the case for Marijuana, too.

By the logic in that article, he thinks state governments should be able to do whatever their population wants. What if Delaware wanted to legalize murder? You cool with that?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Well you can see a pretty clear problem with these background checks
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

mickeyrat said:

Obama has been saying these incidents are becoming too routine too often.

Duh. We get that.

He made a fresh comparison for perspective's sake, but he has not provided the leadership necessary for
    any meaningful change effort.

people always say he is not providing leadership.

what do you, yes you, specifically want him to do??

he isn't a king. he can't make laws. he is hated by the republican congress. so what can he really do? his hands are tied. all he can do is make speeches and potentially shame those in congress. that is about it...
    Honestly...

I don't know exactly what he can do. But this defence is the same as what has been uttered in this thread recently: 'meh... what can ya do?'

Find a way. Find a way. That is the task. If you hold the most influential position in the world... then do some influencing.

Right now... Wayne Lapierre has demonstrated more leadership in my opinion.
    what we can do is line EVERY single member of both chambers of congress in front of a firing squad and kill every single last motherfucker there.
    Redact that statement or this post is flagged.
    Didn't your parents ever teach you that NOBODY likes a rat? I seriously can't believe you post what you post. Aren't you embarrassed about flagging posts and ratting people out? Damn dude, I'm embarrassed for you. You're the reason a lot of people don't post anymore cuz they all think you just sit at home and troll. You hate all religions (supposedly), you pretty much seem like a miserable person. Is there anything that makes you happy? Maybe if posted like you actually care about the issues instead poking people who post and then threaten them with flagging. Someone flagged my avatar pic of that little boy. I asked you 3 times in private if it was you and you never answered. Seeing this threat of flagging by you pretty much reassures my initial thoughts. Someone like you deserves everyone to hit the ignore button so you can talk to yourself on the forums. You really have nothing to add to the discussions. Trolling isn't really stimulating the mind for most. But prob for you.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    Damn bad brains, remind me not to piss you off!!! ;) have a great Sunday everyone. Going pumpkin picking with the kids.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

• Redact that statement or this post is flagged.

Didn't your parents ever teach you that NOBODY likes a rat? I seriously can't believe you post what you post. Aren't you embarrassed about flagging posts and ratting people out? Damn dude, I'm embarrassed for you. You're the reason a lot of people don't post anymore cuz they all think you just sit at home and troll. You hate all religions (supposedly), you pretty much seem like a miserable person. Is there anything that makes you happy? Maybe if posted like you actually care about the issues instead poking people who post and then threaten them with flagging. Someone flagged my avatar pic of that little boy. I asked you 3 times in private if it was you and you never answered. Seeing this threat of flagging by you pretty much reassures my initial thoughts. Someone like you deserves everyone to hit the ignore button so you can talk to yourself on the forums. You really have nothing to add to the discussions. Trolling isn't really stimulating the mind for most. But prob for you.

Better redact this as well

• Redact that statement or this post is flagged.

Better redact this as well

I agree.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

He made a fresh comparison for perspective's sake, but he has not provided the leadership necessary for

he isn't a king. he can't make laws. he is hated by the republican congress. so what can he really do? his hands are tied. all he can do is make speeches and potentially shame those in congress. that is about it...
    Honestly...

I don't know exactly what he can do. But this defence is the same as what has been uttered in this thread recently: 'meh... what can ya do?'

Find a way. Find a way. That is the task. If you hold the most influential position in the world... then do some influencing.

what we can do is line EVERY single member of both chambers of congress in front of a firing squad and kill every single last motherfucker there.
    Trolls just gotta be trolls. Can't change their warts. I know there was an ignore feature.....i don't think it exists anymore.

Back on subject.....guns are bad. ;)
  • dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Trolls just gotta be trolls. Can't change their warts. I know there was an ignore feature.....i don't think it exists anymore.

If everyone jumped on here with the same opinion all the time... what we'd have is a circle jerk. It's not an agreement forum.

If opinions contrary to yours upset you on the MT... you should likely spend less time here and keep from getting upset.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

If everyone jumped on here with the same opinion all the time... what we'd have is a circle jerk. It's not an agreement forum.

If opinions contrary to yours upset you on the MT... you should likely spend less time here and keep from getting upset.
    I don't think dignin has ever shied away from contrary opinions; I think the issue is more the threat to flag a post, not the opinions expressed by the poster (as in fact there were no opinions presented).

I can't say I liked the statement referring to a firing squad either, but I don't believe anyone seriously took it as an expression of intent.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Take a look at this chart.....if the US had UK's gun laws there could be 32,000 lives saved per year....

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/3/9443917/united-states-gun-death-europe

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

I don't think dignin has ever shied away from contrary opinions; I think the issue is more the threat to flag a post, not the opinions expressed by the poster (as in fact there were no opinions presented).

I can't say I liked the statement referring to a firing squad either, but I don't believe anyone seriously took it as an expression of intent.
    I'm aware of dignin's ability to confront someone's point of view and I apreciate it. I'm only pointing out that typically, dignin manages to keep it civil. We all need reminders to do so- even when content or style stirs us to angeror frustration.
    no thanks
    Not when

dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

I'm aware of dignin's ability to confront someone's point of view and I apreciate it. I'm only pointing out that typically, dignin manages to keep it civil. We all need reminders to do so- even when content or style stirs us to angeror frustration.
    So basically you're saying my statement wasn't civil towards him? And instead of having issue with the guy who seems to be trolling everyone and every thread, you have an issue with me calling him out about it. Or the way I did it? Interesting.
  • badbrains said:

Not when

dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

So basically you're saying my statement wasn't civil towards him? And instead of having issue with the guy who seems to be trolling everyone and every thread, you have an issue with me calling him out about it. Or the way I did it? Interesting.
    Yup. That's what I'm saying.

I have my share of issues with the way some people act on this forum just as I'm sure there are people who take exception to my contributions. It's not my job to tell them they suck and they should go hide under a rock though- which is ultimately what you did.

It shouldn't be interesting at all.

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Given the reality... it makes as much sense as a fire drill, no?
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836

dankind said:
    The point is that we need to change the reality.

I will say that there was no pussyfooting around during my generation. We knew damn well from whom we were hiding during similar drills: the Russians.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

badbrains said:

Not when

dignin said:

badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Yup. That's what I'm saying.

I have my share of issues with the way some people act on this forum just as I'm sure there are people who take exception to my contributions. It's not my job to tell them they suck and they should go hide under a rock though- which is ultimately what you did.

It shouldn't be interesting at all.

Yup, you're right, not interesting at all
  • dankind said:

dankind said:
    The point is that we need to change the reality.

I will say that there was no pussyfooting around during my generation. We knew damn well from whom we were hiding during similar drills: the Russians.
    Hey man...

I'm in full support of changing your reality. That wasn't lost on me.

I'm just saying that schools practice fire drills 2-3 times a year. When is the last time a school fire killed students? I honestly don't know.
    Is mandatory evacuation drills a federal or state law? Here in nj two a month are required by law (state or federal?) but we do three to five in the middle school I teach.
  • mcgruff10 said:

Is mandatory evacuation drills a federal or state law? Here in nj two a month are required by law (state or federal?) but we do three to five in the middle school I teach.

Don't distract from what we really want to know: did you secure a champion pumpkin or did you come home with a crapper?

mcgruff10 said:

Don't distract from what we really want to know: did you secure a champion pumpkin or did you come home with a crapper?
    you suck thirty! I spent a shit load of money at the farm today with five kids. I'm guessing they are champions in each of my kids eyes since it took way too long to pick out one freaking pumpkin lol.
  • I like this one.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/04/us/oregon-shooting-father-gun-control/

Even the shooter's Dad believes the problem is access to guns
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Mom was gun ctazy too.

This discussion has been closed.