America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529
    http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/armed-vet-destroys-gun-nuts-argument-on-mass-shooters-by-explaining-why-he-didnt-attack-oregon-killer/

Perfect story that explains exactly why the "good guy with a gun" strategy is horribly flawed.

Imagine how many deaths would occur when police arrived if every other person had a gun. The confusion over who the "bad guy" is would be unreal.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

There was also a shooting at a South Dakota high school, but no one died so the story will be lucky to make page 7 in tomorrow's newspaper.

That seems fair. A murderous rampage where 10 are dead and many more injured definitely does seem to trump non-life-threatening gun shot wounds in a high school.
    That's part of the problem. With these mass shootings you need to make a statement. You need to kill as many people as you can before they take you down. The media gives these individuals so much attention for their efforts. I would love it if the shooter's name was literally blacklisted by the media. Remember the victims, acknowledge the act but erase the shooter's name and identity from the spotlight. Don't give him his fifteen minutes of fame. Of course we know that this will never happen.
    I think it's fairly ludicrous to expect the media to censor facts. I really hate this viewpoint (not you... I have seen this said many times before, and every time I think about how what it really says is that the media should be picking and choosing what news we get in order to create a bias towards vicitims. NO THANK YOU!!! I support an unbiased, censorship-free media, thank you very much!).
    I don't think that the majority of today's media gives two pins about facts. It's about selling a product and the life and times of this unnamed gunman will inevitably take center stage for the next week or so. It's what sells, but it is hardly what one would describe as being meaningful information. It's just another story about another disgruntled loser with the means and opportunity to inflict excessive carnage on an unsuspecting group. It's the same old story we've heard before and will continue to hear again and again.

As for the media picking and choosing what news we get; they already do that. I think it's even scarier that people still think that unbiased media is actually a thing. It was never such a thing and it never will be.
    I know they already do that (I am well aware of media biases - it was one of my main research areas in school). So we don't want to encourage it even more, do we? I know I'm not going to start calling for the media to make the kind of moral judgement for everyone. It is not the media's job to decide Theu're going to ignore a huge part of a story because of what it might mean to the key player in thst story. I am already disturbed by how much the media twists things and selects topics. I get upset when I see people calling for even more just because they are feeling emotionally sensitive.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    from the "reason for mass shootings" thread (it's also, if not more, relevant here):

I recently made a comment in a thread on AMT that Americans need to stop worrying so much about terrorism and "shipping them back to where they came from" and closing the boarders to immigrants, and instead worrying about the people in their own backyard. Well, now I have come across proof of this fact, and it is overwhelming:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/index.html

(CNN)—During his presidency, President Barack Obama has had to deliver statements on gun violence 15 times.

After a gunman opened fire at Oregon's Umpqua Community College, killing nine people and injuring seven, a visibly upset Obama said the shootings were becoming all too routine.

The gunman also died, although it's unclear whether he was shot by police or committed suicide.

"The reporting is routine," he said. "My response here at this podium ends up being routine, the conversation in the aftermath of it. We've become numb to this."

He then asked news organizations to tally up the number of Americans killed through terrorist attacks in the last decade and compare it with the number of Americans who have died in gun violence.

Using numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we found that from 2004 to 2013, 316,545 people died by firearms on U.S. soil. (2013 is the most recent year CDC data for deaths by firearms is available.) This data covered all manners of death, including homicide, accident and suicide.

According to the U.S. State Department, the number of U.S. citizens killed overseas as a result of incidents of terrorism from 2004 to 2013 was 277.

In addition, we compiled all terrorism incidents inside the U.S.* and found that between 2004 and 2013, there were 36 people killed in domestic acts of terrorism. This brings the total to 313.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049
    Of those suicides included in the figure for total gun deaths, how many of those were soldiers who returned home from Iraq and Afghanistan and killed themselves?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:

Of those suicides included in the figure for total gun deaths, how many of those were soldiers who returned home from Iraq and Afghanistan and killed themselves?

probably more than people are willing to admit.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • from the "reason for mass shootings" thread (it's also, if not more, relevant here):

I recently made a comment in a thread on AMT that Americans need to stop worrying so much about terrorism and "shipping them back to where they came from" and closing the boarders to immigrants, and instead worrying about the people in their own backyard. Well, now I have come across proof of this fact, and it is overwhelming:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/02/us/oregon-shooting-terrorism-gun-violence/index.html

(CNN)—During his presidency, President Barack Obama has had to deliver statements on gun violence 15 times.

After a gunman opened fire at Oregon's Umpqua Community College, killing nine people and injuring seven, a visibly upset Obama said the shootings were becoming all too routine.

The gunman also died, although it's unclear whether he was shot by police or committed suicide.

"The reporting is routine," he said. "My response here at this podium ends up being routine, the conversation in the aftermath of it. We've become numb to this."

He then asked news organizations to tally up the number of Americans killed through terrorist attacks in the last decade and compare it with the number of Americans who have died in gun violence.

Using numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we found that from 2004 to 2013, 316,545 people died by firearms on U.S. soil. (2013 is the most recent year CDC data for deaths by firearms is available.) This data covered all manners of death, including homicide, accident and suicide.

According to the U.S. State Department, the number of U.S. citizens killed overseas as a result of incidents of terrorism from 2004 to 2013 was 277.

In addition, we compiled all terrorism incidents inside the U.S.* and found that between 2004 and 2013, there were 36 people killed in domestic acts of terrorism. This brings the total to 313.

i do not disagree with a single thing obama said. he finally showed emotion and anger about something. and i am proud of him for that at least.

• Obama has been saying these incidents are becoming too routine too often.

Duh. We get that.

He made a fresh comparison for perspective's sake, but he has not provided the leadership necessary for
    any meaningful change effort.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Duh. We get that.

He made a fresh comparison for perspective's sake, but he has not provided the leadership necessary for

people always say he is not providing leadership.

what do you, yes you, specifically want him to do??

he isn't a king. he can't make laws. he is hated by the republican congress. so what can he really do? his hands are tied. all he can do is make speeches and potentially shame those in congress. that is about it...

Duh. We get that.

he isn't a king. he can't make laws. he is hated by the republican congress. so what can he really do? his hands are tied. all he can do is make speeches and potentially shame those in congress. that is about it...
    Honestly...

I don't know exactly what he can do. But this defence is the same as what has been uttered in this thread recently: 'meh... what can ya do?'

Find a way. Find a way. That is the task. If you hold the most influential position in the world... then do some influencing.

Right now... Wayne Lapierre has demonstrated more leadership in my opinion.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850

Obama has been saying these incidents are becoming too routine too often.

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

I don't know exactly what he can do. But this defence is the same as what has been uttered in this thread recently: 'meh... what can ya do?'

Find a way. Find a way. That is the task. If you hold the most influential position in the world... then do some influencing.

what we can do is line EVERY single member of both chambers of congress in front of a firing squad and kill every single last motherfucker there.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Wayne Lapierre should be ashamed and I known it's an exaggeration but there is blood on his hands and there is a special place for people like him.
  • mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

what we can do is line EVERY single member of both chambers of congress in front of a firing squad and kill every single last motherfucker there.
    Redact that statement or this post is flagged.

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Wayne Lapierre should be ashamed and I known it's an exaggeration but there is blood on his hands and there is a special place for people like him.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm not speaking from his corner. I'm saying he's represented his constituents very well.
  • mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Huh?

I'm pretty sure this was off the cuff pub talk versus a call to action.
  • On amt you just don't know.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

Don't get me wrong... I'm not speaking from his corner. I'm saying he's represented his constituents very well.
    Yes he has
    And paid well for all that blood
    edited October 2015

mickeyrat said:

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

How different would that statement be if it began as " what we SHOULD DO" or "what we MUST DO" or "what we HAVE TO do" or a more direct "what I am GOING TO do" vs. how it is actually written?

Huh smart guy?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Guns....'A weapon, arm, or armament is any device used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings, structures, or systems.".....
    I dont have to be Einstein to know ...to understand and and be sure that im against guns...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    GREAT READ by a former Justice..... seriously, well worth the time . Intelligent, dispassionate and learned. Goes into history of rulings and what the amnedment was understood for so long to mean

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-five-extra-words-that-can-fix-the-second-amendment/2014/04/11/f8a19578-b8fa-11e3-96ae-f2c36d2b1245_story.html?tid=sm_fb

excerpt for those not willing to walk through his set up and subsequent argument..

"As a result of the rulings in Heller and McDonald, the Second Amendment, which was adopted to protect the states from federal interference with their power to ensure that their militias were “well regulated,” has given federal judges the ultimate power to determine the validity of state regulations of both civilian and militia-related uses of arms. That anomalous result can be avoided by adding five words to the text of the Second Amendment to make it unambiguously conform to the original intent of its draftsmen. As so amended, it would read:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms when serving in the Militia shall not be infringed.” "

Justice John Paul Stevens

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/armed-vet-destroys-gun-nuts-argument-on-mass-shooters-by-explaining-why-he-didnt-attack-oregon-killer/

Perfect story that explains exactly why the "good guy without a gun" strategy is horribly flawed.

Imagine how many deaths would occur when police arrived if every other person had a gun. The confusion over who the "bad guy" is would be unreal.

Perfect story that explains exactly why the "good guy with a gun" strategy is horribly flawed.

That story seems to have been overlooked. THIS will the next tragedy in one of the next mass shooting. A good guy with a gun mistakenly hurt or killed trying to save others. It's very difficult for first responders to tell who is who in the chaos of these mass shootings.

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

Perfect story that explains exactly why the "good guy without a gun" strategy is horribly flawed.

That story seems to have been overlooked. THIS will the next tragedy in one of the next mass shooting. A good guy with a gun mistakenly hurt or killed trying to save others. It's very difficult for first responders to tell who is who in the chaos of these mass shootings.

bbbrief article where a guy in Houston was being carjacked, he was shot and killed by a "good guy" with agun comeing to his rescue. The goood guy supposedly collected his brass and left the scene. Sho the victim in the head.

• Yup.

You got multiple idiots incapable of navigating their way through a simple lane change without causing havoc and we are encouraging them to draw their weapons, discern the bad guys from the good guys, and successfully neutralize the threat (afterwards spinning their handgun on their trigger and blowing the smoke from their barrel)?

And if the bad guy gets the upper hand and wins the western showdown... what does he now do with me and mine? Does he just let us go so we can be witnesses to his crime of murder? Or does he figure f**k it... and take us out?

No thanks. I'll take my chances handing over my car keys or wallet without incident.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,529

Yup.

You got multiple idiots incapable of navigating their way through a simple lane change without causing havoc and we are encouraging them to draw their weapons, discern the bad guys from the good guys, and successfully neutralize the threat (afterwards spinning their handgun on their trigger and blowing the smoke from their barrel)?

And if the bad guy gets the upper hand and wins the western showdown... what does he now do with me and mine? Does he just let us go so we can be witnesses to his crime of murder? Or does he figure f**k it... and take us out?

No thanks. I'll take my chances handing over my car keys or wallet without incident.

Police Chiefs have made this argument for years. They don't want criminals carrying stronger weapons then the officers carry.

It will happen soon. A "good guy with a gun" is going to get killed by police due to confusion.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

Yup.

Police Chiefs have made this argument for years. They don't want criminals carrying stronger weapons then the officers carry.

It will happen soon. A "good guy with a gun" is going to get killed by police due to confusion.
    It's bound to happen or even worse a good guy mistakenly shooting another person thinking he or she is the threat. The Wild Wild West we do not live in anymore. Even if I had CAC weapon I would be hesitant to get involved unless the shooter is directly a threat to me and others around me. However, to go out and try to stop the threat.....NO THANK YOU.....let the professionals do what they do with their easy identifications.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Duh. We get that.

Honestly...

you are aware that there is a document called the constitution that outlines the president's responsibilities in the government, correct?

wayne lapierre is the paid head of a group that raises money to influence politicians and policy in this country. he is not an official elected by the people of the country. his position is not held in check by 2 other branches of opposing political philosophy. of course lapierre can say and do whatever he wants without backlash and without anybody to stop him. the president can't do that. and executive order can't overwrite the constitution.

so, again, specifially, what should he do? he is not fucking trump who can get away with saying "oh i am going to do something. i can't tell you what yet, but it is going to be spectacular."

• mickeyrat said:

g under p said:

bbbrief article where a guy in Houston was being carjacked, he was shot and killed by a "good guy" with agun comeing to his rescue. The goood guy supposedly collected his brass and left the scene. Sho the victim in the head.
    i posted an article about that the other day. a good guy with a gun 2nd amendments the person he was trying to save, then he fled the scene.

cue the 3 stooges theme song...

Duh. We get that.

It's the Republicans who have shot him down every time he's tried. You are blaming the wrong person.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I have no issues with ^^that specific bit but Jim Jefferies is a misogynist asshole.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJ_Soul said:

Duh. We get that.

It's the Republicans who have shot him down every time he's tried. You are blaming the wrong person.
    Even this is an over simplification. It's the South and parts of the west that hold this up even for the Democrats (though it would be mostly republican). A northeastern republican would not have the same issue getting re-elected on this issue as a southern democrat would. It's our system, and while extremely tragic I still wouldn't change it (the process not gun control which I'd change in a minute). Until the majority (and not based on media reports and flawed surveys) believe enoughs enough and that this is more important than other issues that they want heard, nothing will change.

It's part of the free election process which includes actually listening to the people who let you keep your job. If truly 90% of people wanted gun control over say protecting some other pet right or project, we'd have it.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
This discussion has been closed.