America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Don't get to worked up... the clock is ticking before your next one.

Canada has all the same shit as the USA that is typically and erroneously attributed to the causal factors for these depressing incidents (video games, drugs, lonesome losers, etc.).

The only 'real' difference between the two countries is the fact that one country is riddled with an obscene amount of guns with ineffective... no... non-existent gun legislation while the other doesn't.

It's a f**king joke to deny the obvious and you lie in the bed you make: so go bury your kids, neighbours.

Once you're done digging... go shoot some shit at the landfill. Yeehaw! I reckon ya figure if dem der boys hadda had der guns on 'em... there ain't nobody who'd be dead outside of dat der crazy feller?

Just absurd. I'm at our university this week getting recertified in 1st aid. I see all the kids on campus getting busy with their lives and what a fresh, exciting, vibrant place.

Has anyone stopped to think how these mass shootings may very well have changed fate and, for example, placed the cure for cancer in the ground?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,850
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

I don't often comment on these pages, but this is the 45th school shooting in the US this year. I'm at a loss for words, I feel my compassion slowly diminishing...... how can a country as great and as advanced in so many ways be so completely in denial about such a horrendous problem?

speaking only as a person who lives in said country, it seems to me that no one is in denial about the situation. There's a huge schism between those who believe this problem needs to be addressed by restricting access to guns, and those who believe that restricting access to guns will not address this problem.
    There's probably a 3rd school of people who don't give a shit one way or another too.
    It comes across as denial, because there has been no significant movement towards change at all. It's that old saying about doing what you always did and getting what you always got.

I understand that. And trust me, personally I'm on the side of stricter gun control. But large portions of the population of this country don't think that that is a good idea. Even our goddamned President has had it up to here with that bullshit but apparently he can't do anything about it either. Tell me, if the President can't get stricter gun control put into place, what the hell can the rest of us do?
    Citizens court. Star twith the show trial and then summary execution of Wayne La Pierre. Start ticking them off the list. see how quick shit changes then.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    mcgruff10 said:

Supposedly the shooter posted online last night his plans for today. Yet nothing was done to arrest him?!
    from cnn.com:
    'I'm so insignificant'
    According to the source close to the investigation, authorities are looking at social media posts between a person they believe may have been the shooter, and others.

The conversation happened Wednesday night on 4chan.

In it, the writer talks about planning to carry out a shooting. Others egg him on, giving him suggestions on how to do it, and the type of weapons to use.

The responses are mixed -- with some users characterizing the would-be gunman as a pathetic loser. Others called him a twisted hero.

In the posts, there is a reference to the UC Santa Barbara shooter, who wrote a manifesto and videoed himself before opening fire a year ago.

"This is the only time I'll ever be in the news. I'm so insignificant," reads an apparent post by the would-be Oregon gunman.

More guns and social media. What could go wrong?!?!?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    If this was a "terrorist" 'Murica would be talking about which country to go bomb
  • we spent a trillion bucks and changed/made new laws to deal with terrorists.

gun violence?

not a fucking peep.

even more galling is the majority of americans want congress to do something. but they won't. there is no money in stopping gun violence.

can't even have a discussion about it in our congress.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    Again & again & again there is nothing I can add to this topic except it will happen again & again , where are you safe these days ? The only place shit like this doesn't happen is at ball games everywhere else is open game !!!! My condolences to the family's affected today ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    But....but.........cars kill more people per year.......should we put restrictions on cars too?

^^^Something someone is going to say later on in this thread...as I'm sure they have earlier in this thread. We go round and round......

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    This country is a fucking joke.
    Donald fucking trump is apparently a serious presidential candidate and we have mass
    Shootings by the day.

Fucking joke
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    The shooter allegedly asked each victim their religion before they opened fire. If they said they were christian they were shot in the head.
    wtf?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

Don't get to worked up... the clock is ticking before your next one.

Canada has all the same shit as the USA that is typically and erroneously attributed to the causal factors for these depressing incidents (video games, drugs, lonesome losers, etc.).

The only 'real' difference between the two countries is the fact that one country is riddled with an obscene amount of guns with ineffective... no... non-existent gun legislation while the other doesn't.

It's a f**king joke to deny the obvious and you lie in the bed you make: so go bury your kids, neighbours.

Once you're done digging... go shoot some shit at the landfill. Yeehaw! I reckon ya figure if dem der boys hadda had der guns on 'em... there ain't nobody who'd be dead outside of dat der crazy feller?

Just absurd. I'm at our university this week getting recertified in 1st aid. I see all the kids on campus getting busy with their lives and what a fresh, exciting, vibrant place.

Has anyone stopped to think how these mass shootings may very well have changed fate and, for example, placed the cure for cancer in the ground?

That's a really unfair and offensive characterisation.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    We often hear those in support of more relaxed gun control laws say....

"Guns don't kill people"....

They're right

Gun owners kill people
  • shooter was responsible gun owner, until today blah blah blah.

same old bullshit.

Oooh Oooh oooh I know. Scalia was confirmed as Justice?

• mickeyrat said:

Oooh Oooh oooh I know. Scalia was confirmed as Justice?
    well played, sir.

• ldent42 said:

Is it? Are you sure?

Maybe you should explain why it's unfair and offensive because I fail to see how?
    ldent42 said:

Why?
    Cuz not everyone in this country is a Yosemite Sam cartoon?
    Cuz I was born here, never touched a gun my life, and did not make this bed you're telling me I have to lie in?
    Cuz I don't think people should have guns and I don't support this idea that we live in the wild west and need to shoot or be shot?

I dunno how you want to me to explain to you how that sentence is an unfair and offensive characterisation if you can't see that just by reading it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    ldent42 said:

Cuz I was born here, never touched a gun my life, and did not make this bed you're telling me I have to lie in?
    Cuz I don't think people should have guns and I don't support this idea that we live in the wild west and need to shoot or be shot?

I dunno how you want to me to explain to you how that sentence is an unfair and offensive characterisation if you can't see that just by reading it.

What sentence? I don't see anything highlighted.

I was born there, lived there 30 years. Never owned or touched a gun either. you should take a little more offense to the problem, then something may get done.
  • i don't see what is offensive either. it is true. we will have another one of these in a couple of weeks. i have lived here all my life. have shot shotguns before. shot a pistol one time. never owned a gun, and won't ever buy one.

but he is right. we will do nothing about this. and by doing nothing, we are all guilty of allowing it to happen.

That sentence:

And I've said like a million times on here how upsetting it is and where I stand on gun control. So don't tell me how I ought to be more offended.
  • ldent42 said:

Gee. Truth hurts I guess.

What do you want a person to say? The Yosemite Sams dictate policy.

Your country has had 137... yes... ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN school shootings in America since Sandy Hook.

Your country seems to have accepted this as par for the course. It's becoming normal isn't it? And why? Because you have some Yosemite Sams that want to shoot shit. They love their guns. They pound their fists harder on table tops. And they get their way.

Don't be mad at me. Be mad at your leadership for failing to address a problem that is as obvious as a festering boil on the end of your nose. Every country has disenfranchised youth- they just don't have the proliferation of guns (you're the most armed country in the world) or the expression of anger and frustration through the use of such easily accessed weapons.
  • ldent42 said:

Despite the many Americans who say they oppose guns and gun violence, what has changed? You may not support the gun violence associated with your country but at the end of the day it is Americans just like you who must confront it. The characterization of Americans as being impetuous, aggressive and violent is a product of your culture. You may not fit into those cultural stereotypes but they are certainly derived from events that have happened in your backyard.

As far as I'm concerned, these massacres in the United States can't even be considered tragedies. They are simply routine events that come and go like the seasons. You are a citizen of the most powerful nation in the world yet your government and its people can't seem to lift a finger to change things. In the face of real tragedy, most civilized societies make efforts to prevent things from repeating themselves. That doesn't seem to be the case with gun violence in the US.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,049

I think the bolded part of your comment is offensive.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

ldent42 said:

Your country has had 137... yes... ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY SEVEN school shootings in America since Sandy Hook.

Your country seems to have accepted this as par for the course. It's becoming normal isn't it? And why? Because you have some Yosemite Sams that want to shoot shit. They love their guns. They pound their fists harder on table tops. And they get their way.

Don't be mad at me. Be mad at your leadership for failing to address a problem that is as obvious as a festering boil on the end of your nose. Every country has disenfranchised youth- they just don't have the proliferation of guns (you're the most armed country in the world) or the expression of anger and frustration through the use of such easily accessed weapons.
    I'm not mad at you bro I don't know you.
    Don't tell me how to be. I dunno how many times I gotta say that I don't support guns. That the president of the country I live in gets up on the news and is visibly frustrated that he can't get the gun laws to be more restricted. THE PRESIDENT CAN'T DO ANYTHING. Can you even think about that for a minute without just making nasty generalizations? The problem with guns here is fucking ridiculous on such a scale that it seems impossible to fix.

You know what doesn't help? People saying stupid shit about it.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited October 2015
    dudeman said:

I think the bolded part of your comment is offensive.
    Let me put it a different way:

I feel badly you must place those beautiful, innocent children to rest.

I understand there are some that feel if all the kids had been walking around with sidearms, this tragedy could have been averted.

I also understand that there are some who don't want to be unfairly 'punished' and lose their freedom to have their weapon of choice because of the actions of others: freedom comes with a price.

* I hope this is better- sorry for my offhand methodology in my initial attempt to make my points.
  • ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

I'm not mad at you bro I don't know you.
    Don't tell me how to be. I dunno how many times I gotta say that I don't support guns. That the president of the country I live in gets up on the news and is visibly frustrated that he can't get the gun laws to be more restricted. THE PRESIDENT CAN'T DO ANYTHING. Can you even think about that for a minute without just making nasty generalizations? The problem with guns here is fucking ridiculous on such a scale that it seems impossible to fix.

You know what doesn't help? People saying stupid shit about it.
    Well then f**k it. Just accept it.

This is what I hear you saying. I'm pretty sure this is what gun advocates want their opponents saying too.
    edited October 2015
    You have guns because you like guns! That's why you go to gun conventions; that's why you read gun magazines! None of you give a shit about home security. None of you go to home security conventions. None of you read Padlock Monthly. None of you have a Facebook picture of you behind a secure door..going 'fuckin yeah!' Jim Jefferies

Link

This discussion has been closed.