Dublin crew!!!

Comments

• ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Nah dunky just hates Ireland or any talk of it - it seems to get up his arse - unless PJ are playing here or he's coming here or something :D

Why don't you meet Dunky half way HH? I.e, If he agrees to attend a hurling match then you have to attend a tossing of the caber in Scotland - and I don't wan't Dunky to confuse you over the meaning of 'tossing of the caber'! It's a big bit of wood which some dude launches into the air, and not an act of penal stroking, whether alone or assisted.
  • newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    The first semi is scheduled for the Sunday before the concert, the second for the Sunday after it.

Are we going? :D
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Byrnzie wrote:
    To be honest, hurling has to be a tad more amusing to watch than cricket, bowls, or darts. Watching Nutty Irishmen running around wacking a ball with a weird shaped stick would be a great way to spend a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon. So do the crowd at these stick vs ball mud fests all tend to get completely rat arsed during the proceedings?

Maybe it's because I'm not from this part of the world, but I find all of the above boring (as I find baseball boring!). A longgg time ago a boyfriend took me to this "exceptional opportunity" - 3 day cricket jobby at Lords (i thought it was going to be 3 hours!). Needless to say after Day 1, he wasn't my boyfriend anymore!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Why don't you meet Dunky half way HH? I.e, If he agrees attends a hurling match then you have to attend a tossing of the caber in Scotland - and I don't wan't Dunky to confuse you over the meaning of 'tossing of the caber'! It's a big bit of wood which some dude launches into the air, and not an act of sexual, or assisted penal stroking.

she wont meet anyone half way... plus i wouldnt attend a hurling match anyway... :)

would you actually go though Byrnzie? if it was pissing down and you were in a cosy pub and someone asked you to attend a sporting match that you had no idea who was playing, nor the rules... standing in the mud watching men with sticks play golf-like stuff... pub wins every time for me... surely the pubs carry more culture of Ireland than any sport does anyway.. think of the literary giants from Ireland... common denominator? they all liked pubs and loathed hurling ;):)

i practice tossing my caber quite often though.... so often in fact that the rough bark around the girth has worn down to a smooth Silver Birch-esque quality...

i must admit i only really love the beautiful game... i dont like many other sports, well to watch at least.. i only watch, play, follow football.. its the PJ of the sporting world, everything else is just Westlife in comparison ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    redrock wrote:
    Maybe it's because I'm not from this part of the world, but I find all of the above boring (as I find baseball boring!). A longgg time ago a boyfriend took me to this "exceptional opportunity" - 3 day cricket jobby at Lords (i thought it was going to be 3 hours!). Needless to say after Day 1, he wasn't my boyfriend anymore!

my pal went to Australia to follow a cricket tour... he spent 11 days sitting in a seat watching the most singularly pompous sport (ok maybe golf is as well) known to man... any sport that has as many rules as golf, so many that every player carrys wee books must be shit, or stuck up its own arse.. same with cricket!

well done getting shot of him redrock... :cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    my pal went to Australia to follow a cricket tour... he spent 11 days sitting in a seat watching the most singularly pompous sport (ok maybe golf is as well) known to man... any sport that has as many rules as golf, so many that every player carrys wee books must be shit, or stuck up its own arse.. same with cricket!

well done getting shot of him redrock... :cool:

Weeee! We agree on something!

BTW - I love this log throwing thingy whatever it's called (what Byrnzie said). There's also these games I once saw on TV - don't know what they're called - but it's lots of big guys in kilts doing all kinds of things (in a sporting way).
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Why don't you meet Dunky half way HH? I.e, If he agrees to attend a hurling match then you have to attend a tossing of the caber in Scotland - and I don't wan't Dunky to confuse you over the meaning of 'tossing of the caber'! It's a big bit of wood which some dude launches into the air, and not an act of sexual, or assisted penal stroking.
    Lol, see the difference is I’m up for ANYTHING :D . I like to sample the culture of whatever country I’m in.

Newagehippie, I can certainly look into that :D . Tickets are usually hard to come by so it will depend on who’s playing but 88,000 vanish fairly quickly. If it’s Kerry V Tyrone they might be bored of being at that stage so it might be possible… oh and dunky this is FOOTBALL :D REAL football ;)

The hurling is on other weeks so unless there are replays taking it into that week newagehippie, you’re gonna be out of luck :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    she wont meet anyone half way... plus i wouldnt attend a hurling match anyway... :)

would you actually go though Byrnzie? if it was pissing down and you were in a cosy pub and someone asked you to attend a sporting match that you had no idea who was playing, nor the rules... standing in the mud watching men with sticks play golf-like stuff... pub wins every time for me... surely the pubs carry more culture of Ireland than any sport does anyway.. think of the literary giants from Ireland... common denominator? they all liked pubs and loathed hurling ;):)

i practice tossing my caber quite often though.... so often in fact that the rough bark around the girth has worn down to a smooth Silver Birch-esque quality...

i must admit i only really love the beautiful game... i dont like many other sports, well to watch at least.. i only watch, play, follow football.. its the PJ of the sporting world, everything else is just Westlife in comparison ;)

The simple answer is that I'll go anywhere where there's beer. You begin by envisioning me sitting in a cosy pub whilst it's raining outside - you drive a hard bargain Dunkman. If that were the case then I reckon you know that I wouldn't leave the pub even if someone said that Mick Hucknall had been tarred and feathered and was being paraded around outside for the benefit of the local populace, who were being encouraged to pelt him with rotten fruit, sticks and large bit's of rubble. However, if I happened not to be in a cosy pub, and it wasn't raining outside, and there was a power cut, then if someone invited me to a hurling match, I reckon I'd be up for it.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    redrock wrote:

Lol I think most people agree that cricket and golf are basically unwatchable :D

But... THREE DAYS????? :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    redrock wrote:

BTW - I love this log throwing thingy whatever it's called (what Byrnzie said). There's also these games I once saw on TV - don't know what they're called - but it's lots of big guys in kilts doing all kinds of things (in a sporting way).

the Highland Games... usually tossing the caber and the throwing of other heavy things takes place..
    Lol I think most people agree that cricket and golf are basically unwatchable :D

You do get breaks to have a wee and things, and you do get to go home at night (I think!). My worse nightmare!
    oh and dunky this is FOOTBALL :D REAL football ;)(

honestly... it isnt :)
    the Highland Games... usually tossing the caber and the throwing of other heavy things takes place..
    Ah yes! I love that. I've got to coordinate a visit of Scotland with the Highland Games. Maybe PJ can make an effort in planning and play Scotland during that time!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

See I'm a bit of a sport nut :o Will watch anything if I know the rules (therefore excludes Gaelic football and hurling :( ) except golf and horse racing.

Therefore a 5 day test series is fine by me :) I don't usually watch the whole thing just have it on in the background to dip in and out of :)

After living in the States I can even sit through American football and baseball and as I was an honourary Hoosier I LOVE basketball :D:D:D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Can someone please tell me whats the point of tossing the caber? It never goes that far and while it is impressive when your faced with a huge fucking log(!!) its not much of a spectator sport??
    I need a coffee!
    Byrnzie wrote:
    However, if I happened not to be in a cosy pub, and it wasn't raining outside, and there was a power cut, then if someone invited me to a hurling match, I reckon I'd be up for it.

yeah... i set the scene in my favour there ;)

HHelen is trying to make out i wouldnt sample the cultural delights of Ireland... i would... pubs being one of them.... but Ireland also has those fucking dancing things where people sellotape their arms to their thighs and then dance as if they have just dropped a box of drawing pins and upturned electrical plugs...

well thats part of Irish culture, just as we have Highland Dancing... both are as equally crap as each other!!!

so i wouldnt watch Irish dancing as i know it looks boring, just as no sport can match football, in my opinion, so i wouldnt go to that either.... culture has nothing to do with it at all...
    If anyone is intersted, I will be seeing my first PJ show of 06' in 276 hours.....then my second in 300 hours.........

Thanks for looking into that HH, no worries if we can't get them we will find something else to do......

the prison and guiness are on the list, you need to think of some more great stuff, and include at leasst a night of camping out in the country if at all possible....;)

Anyone watch the KY derby???

Drank Bourbon all day and bet on horses...whatta day :D
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Chime wrote:
    I can even sit through American football

What do you mean you can EVEN sit through american football?!?!
    Irish Al wrote:
    Can someone please tell me whats the point of tossing the caber? It never goes that far and while it is impressive when your faced with a huge fucking log(!!) its not much of a spectator sport??

there is no point... its crap, but people flock to it and my major concern is who invented and how the hell did they invent it???

Highland sports have more than just caber tossing though... chucking a big iron thingy as well... its the same idea but its a lump of iron instead of wood :)
    Irish Al wrote:

Do you need a purpose for everything? Just for fun and challenge!
    redrock wrote:

Exactly what I said ;)
    there is no point... its crap, but people flock to it and my major concern is who invented and how the hell did they invent it???

Highland sports have more than just caber tossing though... chucking a big iron thingy as well... its the same idea but its a lump of iron instead of wood :)

Don't they also do big rocks? Aahhh the scots!
    Chime wrote:
    except horse racing.

Broke my heart........
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

well thats part of Irish culture, just as we have Highland Dancing... both are as equally crap as each other!!!

I spent one Hogmanay at a Ceilidh at Murrayfield :)
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    redrock wrote:
    Do you need a purpose for everything? Just for fun and challenge!

I have no absolutely idea of what this sport (tossing the caber) is about.
    :p
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
    redrock wrote:

A great sport.........:)
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Broke my heart........

I could watch a one off race and I am going to Royal Ascot for one day this year I just can't watch the hours of racing that are on TV on a Sunday (when it's more about gambling than anything else) plus I don't like it when they bring out the screens and have to shoot a horse :(
    Anyone watch the KY derby???

sorry.. i also find horse-racing to be crap as well... oompah-loompahs in silk pyjamas and matching hats whipping the shit out of a horse to make it run faster isnt a sport to me.. ;);)

plus only rich people can "play" it... at least with football, bit of grass and make goals from 2 jumpers and a £5 football and you're off :)

glad you enjoyed it though.. i like the idea of the bourbon and having a wee bet though...

i;m only being narky because i'm so jealous you're going to see the band soon :)
    A great sport.........:)

I don't mind American football at all actually I just prefer football and rugby ;)
    redrock wrote:
    Don't they also do big rocks? Aahhh the scots!

yeah, they carry big rocks to see who can get it the furthest... strange stuff eh?