Dublin crew!!!

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    yeah... i set the scene in my favour there ;)
    ... but Ireland also has those fucking dancing things where people sellotape their arms to their thighs and then dance....

....just as we have Highland Dancing... both are as equally crap as each other!!!

What about Morris Dancing. Went to this May thing at Kew Gardens the other week-end and, among other things, they had Morris Dancers! It brings me to tears when grown men all dance waving their little white hankies!
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    If anyone is intersted, I will be seeing my first PJ show of 06' in 276 hours.....then my second in 300 hours.........

Thanks for looking into that HH, no worries if we can't get them we will find something else to do......

the prison and guiness are on the list, you need to think of some more great stuff, and include at leasst a night of camping out in the country if at all possible....;)

Anyone watch the KY derby???

Drank Bourbon all day and bet on horses...whatta day :D

I wanna attend that derby one day. After having read Hunter S Thonpson's 'The Kentucky Derby is decadent and depraved' it sounds like a hoot. I visited the actual racetrack there years ago but there was nothing going on at the time. You've reminded me that I need to get some Bullit Bourbon from my local supermarket - is that the one you said is the best?
    Byrnzie wrote:
    'The Kentucky Derby is decadent and depraved'

A bit different to Royal Ascot then?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    redrock wrote:
    What about Morris Dancing. Went to this May thing at Kew Gardens the other week-end and, among other things, they had Morris Dancers! It brings me to tears when grown men all dance waving their little white hankies!

i've thought about Morris dancing before in this way... i mean traditional scottish dancing came about when soldiers would dance around their giant swords (claymores) and it became a traditional dance throughout the years..

imagine red-haired kilted maniacs danicing bare-foot around huge swords and it seems kinda menacing

then...

Morris Dancing :eek: .... men wafting hankies at each other... the enemy on the battlefield must have been shitting itself once they spied the english warming up with wee hankies and hitting walking sticks together... and they'd lose the element of surprise by tieing sleigh bells to their elbows and ankles...

wee waistcoats as well :D:D ... wee hankies and wee wasitcoats... brilliant stuff ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I wanna attend that derby one day. After having read Hunter S Thonpson's 'The Kentucky Derby is decadent and depraved' it sounds like a hoot. I visited the actual racetrack there years ago but there was nothing going on at the time. You've reminded me that I need to get some Bullit Bourbon from my local supermarket - is that the one you said is the best?

Bullit Borbon?? never heard of it...so I'm guessing it either isn't too grand or it is whiskey and not bourbon. I recommend Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, or Old Pogue.....nice choices.......:D

Derby is one of the greates events ever!! Even if you don't like racing, you can enjoy the derby. There is just something about it, and I guess you can't imagine it until you've been. BTW....a few races before Derby I bet on an Irish horse that was a moderate longshot, strictly because the race was on turf and Irish horses always do well on turf....so it won me enough to buy another bourbon...:D
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
    i've thought about Morris dancing before in this way... i mean traditional scottish dancing came about when soldiers would dance around their giant swords (claymores) and it became a traditional dance throughout the years..

imagine red-haired kilted maniacs danicing bare-foot around huge swords and it seems kinda menacing

then...

Morris Dancing :eek: .... men wafting hankies at each other... the enemy on the battlefield must have been shitting itself once they spied the english warming up with wee hankies and hitting walking sticks together... and they'd lose the element of surprise by tieing sleigh bells to their elbows and ankles...

wee waistcoats as well :D:D ... wee hankies and wee wasitcoats... brilliant stuff ;)

Maybe morris dancing came about when members of the fearsome Salvation army got bored one day and decided to dance around their Mary Whitehouse books, and the hanky waving was symbolic of them having surrendered to their inner disco dancer?
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838

Derby is one of the greates events ever!! Even if you don't like racing, you can enjoy the derby.

See that's why I'm going to Royal Ascot this year. Not a horse racing fan but just wanted to go for the atmosphere etc and going with a huge group :)

If we want to bet though we usually go to the dog racing :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    Bullit Borbon?? never heard of it...so I'm guessing it either isn't too grand or it is whiskey and not bourbon. I recommend Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, or Old Pogue.....nice choices.......:D

Derby is one of the greates events ever!! Even if you don't like racing, you can enjoy the derby. There is just something about it, and I guess you can't imagine it until you've been. BTW....a few races before Derby I bet on an Irish horse that was a moderate longshot, strictly because the race was on turf and Irish horses always do well on turf....so it won me enough to buy another bourbon...:D

Ahhh Woodford reserve's the one. O.k, I'm off to grab a bottle - they sell it in Sainsburys.
    ..i mean traditional scottish dancing came about when soldiers would dance around their giant swords (claymores) and it became a traditional dance throughout the years..

Manly, heroic....

Hilarious, ridiculous....
  • foxymop79foxymop79 Posts: 460
    redrock wrote:

I used to go out with a morris dancer - when I was 13!
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

*Astoria Crew in Dublin 2006*
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Did he keep his bells on......?????
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Ok we have to stop this, its getting nuts. Back to the main issue...

I am having pints in Dublin with a load of pearl jam maniacs on 23 Aug 2006 who's with me???
    I need a coffee!
    Irish Al wrote:
    Ok we have to stop this, its getting nuts. Back to the main issue...

I am having pints in Dublin with a load of pearl jam maniacs on 23 Aug 2006 who's with me???

See we decided on the pints thing about 150 pages ago so now we need to find other things to talk about until August ;)
    redrock wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Did he keep his bells on......?????

I was 13 - and a good Catholic girl!!!!

And he was a Morris Dancer - give me some credit!!!! ;)
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

Chime wrote:
    See we decided on the pints thing about 150 pages ago so now we need to find other things to talk about until August ;)

And then, a couple of weeks or so before the gig, so no one misses out, we will recap on where we go before/after, etc. (for those who can't go through thousands of posts)! It's such a long time before August!
    redrock wrote:
    And then, a couple of weeks or so before the gig, so no one misses out, we will recap on where we go before/after, etc. (for those who can't go through thousands of posts)! It's such a long time before August!

Yeah that's what I meant. We've decided to do drinks and we'll decide where closer to the time.

Until then back to the Morris dancing ;)
    foxymop79 wrote:
    I was 13 - and a good Catholic girl!!!!

And he was a Morris Dancer - give me some credit!!!! ;)

:D:D:D ***rolling on the floor laughing!**** :D:D:D
    Fuck it then tell me about the morris dancer, was he any good??!!!!
    I need a coffee!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    what if Ed was dressed as a Morris Dancer.... would you girls, you know? ;)

i mean in that he would have to keep it on
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.

Now that would be different!!!!!
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

Like you have to ask ;)
    Irish Al wrote:
    Fuck it then tell me about the morris dancer, was he any good??!!!!

Lets put it this way - my mam and gran thought he was lovely!

I dumped him to go out with a stinking grunger who they both hated - they even grounded me for life for dating him!!!!
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

i mean in that he would have to keep it on

That does put a bit of a damper on things, doesn't it? Oh well, we can overcome that!
    foxymop79 wrote:

I dumped him to go out with a stinking grunger who they both hated - they even grounded me for life for dating him!!!!

Don't think I've ever met a morris dancer ... and not sure I really want to :(

But those grunger guys when you were thirteen ... SWOON ... :D
    Chime wrote:
    Don't think I've ever met a morris dancer ... and not sure I really want to :(

But those grunger guys when you were thirteen ... SWOON ... :D

And then again when I was 16, then almost when I was 19 then when I was 22! He was a complete twat!
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

foxymop79 wrote:

That must be fairly shit being grounded for life and by BOTH your gran and mam!!!

So are you gonna be allowed out to go to any of the PJ gigs?
    I need a coffee!
    foxymop79 wrote:
    And then again when I was 16, then almost when I was 19 then when I was 22! He was a complete twat!

But you couldn't resist!! Where is he now?
    Irish Al wrote:
    That must be fairly shit being grounded for life and by BOTH your gran and mam!!!

So are you gonna be allowed out to go to any of the PJ gigs?

Thats the pains of living with two generations - get wrong off one, get wrong off both!!!! My mam and dad divorced when I was a bairn and we moved in with gran!

I'm a big girl now so I don't get grounded any more (although I'm still scared of my gran!!!!)
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Dunky, the point I’m trying to make is that you may be interested in the pub culture in Ireland but it’s not all about you all the time ya know ;) . Some people actually ARE interested in the sporting culture in Ireland and other stuff and this thread IS about coming to Dublin and the whole travel aspect and all that… it’s not however about Scottish ‘sports’ or that HISSY ‘football’, where they all fall over if someone tips them – like cows they are.

Newagehippie, I’ll certainly try and get some tickets for the first Sunday – let’s hope it IS Kerry V Tyrone cos, while they may be there every year and the fans may not be willing to travel as much, it will be THE game of football. Although everyone wants to go to that. It it’s Dublin playing, we’re fucked… although it will make for a great atmosphere in the city. If not, camping is INDEED another option :) as long as we can bring a tv to watch the game though :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    redrock wrote:
    But you couldn't resist!! Where is he now?

Hell - I hope! His reason for always being a shithead was according to his best mate because he knew he'd end up marrying me and it scared him! Well I'm getting married next year - and ut ain't to him!!!!
    Wembley 1996
    Glasgow 2000
    Astoria 2006
    Leeds Festival 2006
    Dublin 2006 (Wooooot!)