Dublin crew!!!

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Awww... is that the bakery beside the train? Where we bought the yummy cakes?

Nope... bakery in Twickenham. A Greggs bakery because that is the company I work for. Next will be a night shift in the Bakery ('factory') and a delivery run with one of the drivers. I think I will pass on the latter. They drive like madmen.
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    redrock wrote:
    Nope... bakery in Twickenham. A Greggs bakery because that is the company I work for. Next will be a night shift in the Bakery ('factory') and a delivery run with one of the drivers. I think I will pass on the latter. They drive like madmen.
    :D can't YOU insist on doing the driving? Cmon... I can't imagine you sitting there biting your tongue while they drive mentally.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    Ha! Me driving a lorry - I shut my eyes at roundabouts! That's why I don't think I'll do the delivery run. I would go crazy and be a very bad passenger.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    cheers for the support lads and ladies :)

Last few weeks have been a head melt - hope its all worth it!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    redrock wrote:
    A Greggs

I have to admit Rita but when myself and the mrs were in Edinburgh we were nearly sick everytime we calked past a greggs, we both hated the "food" when we were living in the UK, so bloody greasy, jesus even thinking about it makes me feel like vomiting....but I love you ;)
    I need a coffee!
    Greggs.... food? What food? :D Sweetie.. I work in their offices... I don't care what kind of crap they sell :D
    redrock wrote:
    Greggs.... food? What food? :D Sweetie.. I work in their offices... I don't care what kind of crap they sell :D

Thats me girl ;)
    I need a coffee!
  • jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    so where are folks staying in NY ?

been looking at the various flight and hotel options and come to the conclusion that some sort of package deal for the two is what we're going to end up doing... will end up spending an arm and both legs in the end but the we've never been to NY before and as the missus is letting me see Pearl Jam i suppose i'd better treat her right! :rolleyes:

so... is the midtown Manhattan area (Times Square sort of area) a good place to stay ? there seem to be lots of hotels there, it's close to MSG and also close to alot of touristy things...

any experts out there got any advice ? ;)

good news on the job, Al, wish i could get a job closer to home, would save loads of money and time not having to commute... :(
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
    jrd wrote:
    would save loads of money and time not having to commute... :(

I used to commute to central london - hated it in the end. What was worse was when I was on a project near liverpool street station - crap place to travel to from where I live.

Now my job is in Twickenham. I can cycle there in 10 minutes, walk there in about 25/30 mins - but all this only when the weather is nice obviously! The bus only takes 5 minutes :D
    jrd wrote:

so... is the midtown Manhattan area (Times Square sort of area) a good place to stay ? there seem to be lots of hotels there, it's close to MSG and also close to alot of touristy things...
    probably the best place to stay for first time tourists :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    redrock wrote:
    Now my job is in Twickenham. I can cycle there in 10 minutes, walk there in about 25/30 mins - but all this only when the weather is nice obviously! The bus only takes 5 minutes :D

[Humphrey Bogart]
    You annoy me.
    [/Humphrey Bogart]

;)
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
    probably the best place to stay for first time tourists :)

just call me Bumpkin... ain't niver been to one of them thar big cities before...
    jrd wrote:
    just call me Bumpkin... ain't niver been to one of them thar big cities before...
    hmm... well you're gonna have fun :) the streets are numbered nice and easy for ya too :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    2 years running mate! you better do something about that!

I know. It sucks. I'll be back in that part of the world next year though.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    jrd wrote:

AS Helen said it's good for touristy stuff and easy to walk most places from there (including MSG ... I went to Knicks game :) )

one thing to know so your not surpised is that New York hotel rooms are [size=-5]tiny[/size] ... pricey real estate and all that :rolleyes: ... we were in that area in quite a nice hotel and there was no wardrobe just a hanging rail behind the mirror that could fit 2-3 hangers ... just enough space to walk around the bed etc
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    Just dropping in to say HI!

This thread is thriving with plans now! :D
    Wish I could go to NY with you guys, it's going to be great.

Such a cool place to visit too.
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
    Chime wrote:
    AS Helen said it's good for touristy stuff and easy to walk most places from there (including MSG ... I went to Knicks game :) )

one thing to know so your not surpised is that New York hotel rooms are [size=-5]tiny[/size] ... pricey real estate and all that :rolleyes: ... we were in that area in quite a nice hotel and there was no wardrobe just a hanging rail behind the mirror that could fit 2-3 hangers ... just enough space to walk around the bed etc

thanks, pippa.
    yeah, most reviews seem to comment on the size of the rooms, or the lack of... but then i'm not going to NY to stay in and look at the walls of a hotel room! well, that's the plan anyway... ;)
    the streets are numbered nice and easy for ya too :)
    Also:
    Avenues run North-South and streets run East-West. See... dead easy in Manhattan!
    redrock wrote:
    Also:
    Avenues run North-South and streets run East-West. See... dead easy in Manhattan!

... except for the odd curve ball like Madison, Lexington or Broadway :D
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    jrd wrote:
    so where are folks staying in NY ?

been looking at the various flight and hotel options and come to the conclusion that some sort of package deal for the two is what we're going to end up doing... will end up spending an arm and both legs in the end but the we've never been to NY before and as the missus is letting me see Pearl Jam i suppose i'd better treat her right! :rolleyes:

good news on the job, Al, wish i could get a job closer to home, would save loads of money and time not having to commute... :(

I'd definitely recommend staying in midtown. On our past two trips we've staying in the Hotel QT on 45th st (Brilliant hotel) and the Washington Jefferson Hotel on 51st street (nice hotel but the walls are like paper....if someone whispers in the next room you can hear them).

This time we've got the Hotel 41 on 41st Street as it has some really good write ups and it's closer to MSG.

Like London, you get what you pay for with NYC hotels. It might be cheap but I would avoid the Hotel Pensylvania.....I've heard nasty stories about it from folk who've stayed there.

Tip for folk flying into JFK too.....just get a yellow taxi fromn the airport. It's only $45 to anywhere in Manhatten and way more convenient than messing about with buses and stuff.
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    Chime wrote:
    ... except for the odd curve ball like Madison, Lexington or Broadway :D
    Shhhh...... don't confuse him. Let JRD start with the easy bit and let him be surprised once he gets there! :D

Tip for folk flying into JFK too.....just get a yellow taxi fromn the airport. It's only $45 to anywhere in Manhatten and way more convenient than messing about with buses and stuff.

Good advice, cheers Jim

Thanks jrd....we've booked flights but there are so bloody many hotels....trip advisor is earning its money with me at the mo!
    I need a coffee!
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    i will be messing with public transport, coz it is probably quicker for me,
    i fly in at 3.10pm, and i am gonna try and get to camden for the night 2 show that night :eek:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i will be messing with public transport, coz it is probably quicker for me,
    i fly in at 3.10pm, and i am gonna try and get to camden for the night 2 show that night :eek:

Ah, thats not as much fun as trying to be home in time for work on the 27th! Totally freakin out, in case of flight delays :D :eek:

I have my hols confirmed though, so at least I know when I can leave. And now to find a shitty little hostel to dump me stuff and lay my head down!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Morning all! **waves** :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Jennytree wrote:
    Ah, thats not as much fun as trying to be home in time for work on the 27th! Totally freakin out, in case of flight delays :D :eek:

I have my hols confirmed though, so at least I know when I can leave. And now to find a shitty little hostel to dump me stuff and lay my head down!

i don't have my hold confirmed yet!
    i have flights confirmed though! and tickets confirmed!
    now hostel.... i think we are gonna try and get a load of us to book at the same place, as there are a load of us!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
    Mike, Jenny don't know if you saw this earlier but this hotel has hostel rooms aswell .. you may be able to get enough people to book a whole room. Think they have a couple of dorm rooms ... about $35-$45 each a night I think http://www.gershwinhotel.com/english/site1.html

Looks like something a little bit different ...
    redrock wrote:
    Also:

now you see, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing that i'm going to be totally unable to remember! :o

i still can't remember whether port and starboard are left and right or left and right and i must have looked it up several billion times...
    jrd wrote:
    i still can't remember whether port and starboard are left and right or left and right and i must have looked it up several billion times...

For my sins:

Port = Left (remember as both have same number of letters)

Starboard = Right

I use to sail a lot as a kid :rolleyes:
    Chime wrote:
    For my sins:

Port = Left (remember as both have same number of letters)

Starboard = Right

I use to sail a lot as a kid :rolleyes:

Far too posh you are ;)
    I need a coffee!