Options

Ten Club/Newbury Comics RSD Coke Bottle Clear Vinyl Ten LP in Shop.

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764

Zod said:

How much money do they get from it? The records are 29.99 each and there are 2000. That's only 60 grand. How much do the records cost to make?

If they were in it for the money you would think they would consider a larger run. EPIC owns the Ten album right? So the guys are only making royalties and whatever their contractual share per album was? I have to imagine what the band gets from this is chump change compared to what they get for playing a show or releasing a new album under their own label.

I may be naive, but I continue to believe this band is motivated by more than money.
    Of course they are! They pay $1000 a minute to play past curfews, and play past the curfew by a lot every singe night. Supposedly, they paid something like $70,000 in fines just at a single venue during the last tour so that the fans could get a typical 3+ hour Pearl Jam show, and they go past curfew at every venue they play that has a curfew as far as I can tell. So NO, this band is not motivated primarily by money, and I think that those who suggest that are just.... I don't even know.... just not even thinking at all I guess, and running on pure knee jerk emotion.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Looks like Newbury were really naive letting people buy 5. I wouldnt be surprised if they have seen how many are on ebay and cut peoples orders down.
  • Options
    TinAntTinAnt Posts: 343

Zod said:

How much money do they get from it? The records are 29.99 each and there are 2000. That's only 60 grand. How much do the records cost to make?

If they were in it for the money you would think they would consider a larger run. EPIC owns the Ten album right? So the guys are only making royalties and whatever their contractual share per album was? I have to imagine what the band gets from this is chump change compared to what they get for playing a show or releasing a new album under their own label.

I may be naive, but I continue to believe this band is motivated by more than money.
    I believed this for a long time, but I have seen an evolution in their language and choices in the last few years. I'm not going to run down every example, but more and more I am thinking to myself "this seems like a money grab" or "this would not have happened 15 years ago". It was about the music, and a lot of cool stuff came into existence because of the need to promote the music. But this one, I don't know what it is about but it is not music. I am all for dudes going out and making the best of a situation, but don't you dare turn around and preach that its a bad thing after the wool is over our eyes.

• Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,212
    so newbury oversold these? or did they decide to cap at 2 vs 5 after the fact?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,954
    I must admit... I'm more excited by the 100 copy Strokes Is This It? release.

At least I didn't have that one already on vinyl haha

Plus gold and blue split vinyl looks so damn cool, especially considering the album cover.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323

Just last November......
    photo eddiegenesimmons_zpsb392ae0d.jpg

Judd Apatow seems to be everywhere. The guys gotta go get a real job so he doesn't have time to get in every picture.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

I must admit... I'm more excited by the 100 copy Strokes Is This It? release.

At least I didn't have that one already on vinyl haha

Plus gold and blue split vinyl looks so damn cool, especially considering the album cover.

Yea. I'm getting this one also.. Sucker for cool ass vinyl.
  • Options
    TinAnt said:

Zod said:

I believed this for a long time, but I have seen an evolution in their language and choices in the last few years. I'm not going to run down every example, but more and more I am thinking to myself "this seems like a money grab" or "this would not have happened 15 years ago". It was about the music, and a lot of cool stuff came into existence because of the need to promote the music. But this one, I don't know what it is about but it is not music. I am all for dudes going out and making the best of a situation, but don't you dare turn around and preach that its a bad thing after the wool is over our eyes.

I think whether or not this would have happened 15 years ago (no - there wasn't even a market for vinyl 15 years ago really) and whether or not PJ's about money grabs are two very separate issues. This whole thing is clearly not a money grab. What are they getting out of it? Maybe $15,000?? Come on. Limited releases are never money grabs. If they are, then selling anything ever is a money grab.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,436
    FR181798 said:

Looks like Newbury were really naive letting people buy 5. I wouldnt be surprised if they have seen how many are on ebay and cut peoples orders down.

I'm guessing they oversold, and cut back on the ppl who had multiple orders. If they are allowing sales of 5 at a time, I doubt they care too much what goes on in the secondary market.

"Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,428
    This whole "money grab" thing is so stupid. Let's do some math using what is considered the typical artist payout per album sold. On average, an artist may receive in the neighborhood of 10-20% of the sale of an album (depending on what they negotiated in their recording contract). So with this "money grab" using a 20% cut let's see how much money PJ stuffed in their pockets: 2000 units sold at $29.99 a pop = $59,980. Now take 20% from that = $11,996. Now divide that by 5 (for each band member)= $2,399.20 to each member. This doesn't account for the cut the producer gets as a royalty, or management, etc... I'm estimating Eddie's take for this "money grab" netted him somewhere around $400 if he's lucky.

Anyone with any knowledge of the music industry knows the real money is in touring, not selling 2000 copies of a record @ $29.99.

It's kinda sad to see adults acting like grade schoolers because they didn't get something. Kind of wishing I had bought five of these now instead of one.
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,015
    edited April 2014
    Whatever
    Post edited by Release EV on
  • Options

To PJ_Soul, quite vocal on this thread even against people being pissed off for not getting one. ... but of course u ordered 3 so why not dig a little further. Just saying

Pardon? I didn't order 3. I ordered one from 10C.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Newbury is now cutting back orders? This is hilarious!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    Whatever dude. I misread. Just the people patronizing ones that didn't get it by saying chill out etc are usually the ones with it. Pretty easy to say in that case. All I was saying is no doubt usa business day has to be release time but I am sure there is earlier or later parts of the day that could accommodate more people. Apologies for misquoting, carry on
  • Options

This whole "money grab" thing is so stupid. Let's do some math using what is considered the typical artist payout per album sold. On average, an artist may receive in the neighborhood of 10-20% of the sale of an album (depending on what they negotiated in their recording contract). So with this "money grab" using a 20% cut let's see how much money PJ stuffed in their pockets: 2000 units sold at $29.99 a pop = $59,980. Now take 20% from that = $11,996. Now divide that by 5 (for each band member)= $2,399.20 to each member. This doesn't account for the cut the producer gets as a royalty, or management, etc... I'm estimating Eddie's take for this "money grab" netted him somewhere around $400 if he's lucky.

Anyone with any knowledge of the music industry knows the real money is in touring, not selling 2000 copies of a record @ $29.99.

It's kinda sad to see adults acting like grade schoolers because they didn't get something. Kind of wishing I had bought five of these now instead of one.

I didn't say this instance was a money grab, but in past instances I have thought it and the machine that is Pearl Jam has certainly evolved into a giant cash register. Separately, sure they don't mean much, but it is much more expensive to be a Pearl Jam fan now with the same perks than it was 15 years ago. Coming from a band that admonished big business and individuals for making money and expousing artistic integrity, it just seems hypocritical for them to publish such a blatantly shitty vanity piece.
  • Options
    BE9456BE9456 Posts: 148
    edited April 2014
    TinAnt said:

Zod said:

You mean like getting paid a few million to play for Oracle's customers at a private party?

they've got expenses, mortgages, they need cash infusions once in while.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Whatever dude. I misread. Just the people patronizing ones that didn't get it by saying chill out etc are usually the ones with it. Pretty easy to say in that case. All I was saying is no doubt usa business day has to be release time but I am sure there is earlier or later parts of the day that could accommodate more people. Apologies for misquoting, carry on

Well I am sorry if I come off as patronizing... I thought I was just having a discussion/debate. It's kinda what I do, and it's been a slow couple of days at work. :P

It is easy to say when you got it... but I've said the exact same stuff when I didn't get something, so for me at least, that makes no difference. I believe in limited edition whether I get it or not.... and if I don't and really wanted it, I turn to Lost Dogs or Ebay, and so far have never regretted or resented a purchase I have made from those places. :)
    I assume that those who feel let down are those who want everything to be unlimited.... For me, that would ruin all the fun.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    BE9456 said:

TinAnt said:

Zod said:

You mean like getting paid a few million to play for Oracle's customers at a private party?

they've got expenses, mortgages, they need cash infusions once in while.
    Didn't they donate all of that pay they got from Oracle to charity??
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,152
    Sorry, I'm just chiming in since I've been reading along and maybe they did but it sounds pretty doubtful that ALL of that show was donated to charity. But you also can't blame someone for making money, shit if I could I would! Reminds me of Yankee haters always quoting salaries and cash as their excuses when their teams just took longer to realize that it's all a business and that they all just do it too.

And yes PJ soul, it kind of does seem like your ragging on those that are pissed, and defending the band because you got one. I can see both sides. It certainly doesn't suck when you scored one!

Anyway, the lesson to me about the whole thing is to be on high alert on Tuesdays, and of course on the 10th of the month.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Tr

Well I am sorry if I come off as patronizing... I thought I was just having a discussion/debate. It's kinda what I do, and it's been a slow couple of days at work. :P

It is easy to say when you got it... but I've said the exact same stuff when I didn't get something, so for me at least, that makes no difference. I believe in limited edition whether I get it or not.... and if I don't and really wanted it, I turn to Lost Dogs or Ebay, and so far have never regretted or resented a purchase I have made from those places. :)
    I assume that those who feel let down are those who want everything to be unlimited.... For me, that would ruin all the fun.
    True mate. My bad.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    Well if it makes you feel any better, in lost dogs, there are more threads by idiots trying to unload these in lopsided trades than people actually in search of. The "price" will certainly drop
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Sorry, I'm just chiming in since I've been reading along and maybe they did but it sounds pretty doubtful that ALL of that show was donated to charity. But you also can't blame someone for making money, shit if I could I would! Reminds me of Yankee haters always quoting salaries and cash as their excuses when their teams just took longer to realize that it's all a business and that they all just do it too.

And yes PJ soul, it kind of does seem like your ragging on those that are pissed, and defending the band because you got one. I can see both sides. It certainly doesn't suck when you scored one!

Anyway, the lesson to me about the whole thing is to be on high alert on Tuesdays, and of course on the 10th of the month.

I think all the band's profits got donated. Of course they paid all the expenses and their crew and shit first.

Well that sucks that people think I'm ragging on people as opposed to debating shit with them, but whatever. I just say what I think. But for the record, I'm defending the band because it's what I actually believe, not because I got the record (frankly, I'm surprised people want it so badly.... one just went at auction on ebay for $242 USD!! WOW! If I hadn't scored it for $30 I never would have wanted it and wouldn't think about it again. I am stunned by the demand for this particular item. But hey, people want what people want I guess!

And yeah, to score limited ed stuff here you have to be vigilant for sure!
  • Options

The Yankees don't sing songs about greed and abuse of power.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I want one, I didn't get one, I can live without

my life goes on
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,881
    unreal how many of these are already on ebay
  • Options
    Where did ppl see that orders were being cut back?
  • Options

Where did ppl see that orders were being cut back?

Someone posted an email they got from Newbury.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    hrd2imgn said:

unreal how many of these are already on ebay

it's actualy kinda sickening
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    jhuludjhulud S. FloriDUH! Posts: 315
    A friend sent me this screencap text of some ended eBay auctions. YOWZA!!!

• Options
    Who are these people willing to spend that much for these? Weird! Oh well - as long as they are happy with owning it!