Options

Ten Club/Newbury Comics RSD Coke Bottle Clear Vinyl Ten LP in Shop.

Comments

• Options
    PernillePernille Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 114
    jonsey30 said:

I was out to lunch when the e-mail came through, and I was able to get right in and get a copy on my phone. I don't understand people that don't get e-mail on their phone. Then I checked when I got back into the office and it was sold out. So I had to come back tonight to read the bitching, and DAMN! I didn't expect 13 pages of it, and multiple other threads in multiple sections of the forum. I'm glad I got one, and I feel for those that didn't.

Could you imagine if this was a No Code re-issue? This place would be a zoo!

I tried to buy one six (SIX!!!) minutes after I recieved the email. It was sold out. For a minute I thought, Yay for once I get a chance to get my hands on some of that fine vinyl, but no. I think the email must have been sent out in several batches. Even with Pearl Jam I don't think this could sell out in six minutes.

With Sevens I was bummed because I didn't see the email until a day later, but now I'm even more bummed cos I thought I actually had a chance. I agree with the person who said they should at least make it 10,000 copies - I'm sure it would still sell out pretty fast but a lot more people would be happy.
    2000: Roskilde
    2006: Berlin
    2007: Copenhagen
    2010: London
    2012: Copenhagen
    2014: Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2, Stockholm
    2016: MSG1, MSG2
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,015
    edited April 2014
    mick29 said:

BinFrog said:

mick29 said:

Ok. So this was once again another thing released over night Australian time. I woke to this nightmare.

If anyone was lucky enough and got multiples at Newbury and wants to make someone really happy please PM me.

Exactly, the email came through for me at 3:17am, I was up around 5:30ish, checked emails about 20 mins later, followed link with not much hope of success and was not surprised they were sold out. Would it be too hard to release something at a time when at least most people are awake? Not the first time.
    No offense, but they are an American-based band. They did release when most people were awake.
    This is true, however there are more countries in the world than America and I would almost bet my house on it that the global fan base is larger than the 'American' one.

Even if they could advertise the presale like someone else has mentioned to be on at a certain time etc, then ppl can decide if they wish to get be up ready and waiting.

Would also eliminate the received emails to fan club members that arrived after they were sold out which happened to a fair few 'American' members by the looks of it.

But back to the original point us aussies are making these releases are constantly released btn 3-5am AEST, the most populus zone for Australia. Not midnight, not 6am. Either of those 2 times would still be fine for the majority of the US. And binfrog let me remind u pj hail from usa but have a global audience. Continuing that argument after 23 odd years. Omg. We are paid up members wanting a fair go. Missed mad season, all recent 7" and was only lucky on sevens because you guys in the USA second guessed. See the pattern. ..not fair to a contingent of the paid up member fan base. Mick was just explaining the situation. ..this site would melt down if it was other way around. Anyways I am privileged to have such awesome buddies on here
    Post edited by Release EV on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

mick29 said:

BinFrog said:

mick29 said:

Ok. So this was once again another thing released over night Australian time. I woke to this nightmare.

If anyone was lucky enough and got multiples at Newbury and wants to make someone really happy please PM me.

Exactly, the email came through for me at 3:17am, I was up around 5:30ish, checked emails about 20 mins later, followed link with not much hope of success and was not surprised they were sold out. Would it be too hard to release something at a time when at least most people are awake? Not the first time.
    No offense, but they are an American-based band. They did release when most people were awake.
    This is true, however there are more countries in the world than America and I would almost bet my house on it that the global fan base is larger than the 'American' one.

Even if they could advertise the presale like someone else has mentioned to be on at a certain time etc, then ppl can decide if they wish to get be up ready and waiting.

Would also eliminate the received emails to fan club members that arrived after they were sold out which happened to a fair few 'American' members by the looks of it.

But back to the original point us aussies are making these releases are constantly released btn 3-5am AEST, the most populus zone for Australia. Not midnight, not 6am. Either of those 2 times would still be fine for the majority of the US. And binfrog let me remind u pj hail from usa but have a global audience. Continuing that argument after 23 odd years. Omg. We are paid up members wanting a fair go. Missed mad season, all recent 7" and was only lucky on sevens because you guys in the USA second guessed. See the pattern. ..not fair to a contingent of the paid up member fan base. Mick was just explaining the situation. ..this site would melt down if it was other way around. Anyways I am privileged to have such awesome buddies off here
    Well exactly Midnight AEST would be Good especially for People like me in the West because that would only be 9pm ;) either that or have it say at 9am AEST...I opened up the email Clicked on the Link all Sold Out.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 3,002
    Way I see it, this release was a limited run used as a promotional tool for Record Store Day. If they'd pressed 10,000 records instead of 2,000 then the hype wouldn't have been as big and the impact of the promotion would have been damaged. They could have just limit it to 1,000 copies only available via the record store of their choosing, but was great to see that they extended this to Ten Club members also (probably because they knew the uproar if they didn't). Newbury have stated that they'll have copies in store on RSD, thus bringing in record buyers and collectors which can only be a good thing for the format and the industry as a whole. Job done. Being a comic book store they're used to doing these types of offers with store cover exclusives, so its no surprise that they've extended it out to Vinyl, huge cross over appeal at the moment - Ghostface went the other way and released a comic to coincide with his latest solo project. Ultimately is all just marketing, but if you dig coloured vinyl of the best album in the world then this is fantastic! Thanks to 10c for including us on this, my chances of getting a copy here were much higher than if it had been just via Newbury (or released worldwide in stores via RSD in limited number).
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,029
    boo hoo, didn't get one. Gonna go cry myself to sleep with my Benny, Sevens and Vault3
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    jlj_swejlj_swe Posts: 175
    I actually had "my hands" on one copy yesterday. While I was filling in my credit card no I took a minute to think it over...do i really need this? I already have Ten Redux on vinyl and the only difference is that this is limited. After a minute I decided to click "buy" but then it was too late.
    Guess I didn't need it after all :-)
    Stockholm 1992-02-07
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 1995-08-12
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Lisbon 2010-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28

https://artbyjoachim.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Many people who are complaining have no understanding of what Record Store Day is all about. It is the whole idea of the limited release that gets vinyl enthusiasts to visit an independent record store searching for that one difficult find. Yes these sold out right away but over the years they will drift out into the greater world and behind the counters of your favorite store. Pressing thousands so that everyone on the forum can order one comfortably from their couch defeats the whole purpose of this release. Pearl Jam didn't do this to pad their pockets. They did this to add one more hidden gem to the vibrant catalogues of the independent record stores that are fortunately still with us today. So if you want this record go to your local store and search for it. And while you're searching don't be surprised if you find another hidden gem that you didn't even know you were looking for. Because that is what Record Store Day is all about.

Ok while I enjoyed your eloquent style of writing, I gotta call bs on a couple things. These will not "drift out into the greater world, behind counters of your favorite store". What's the chance of randomly finding a Sevens or a Vault at your local store? Pretty much zero. Unfortunately because of who Pj decided to partner with, far to many of these are going straight into flippers/trippers hands. I don't know if this was a cash grab or not but it sure feels like one. Low quality, pretty colored, re~release of a re-issue. Not even sure why they advertised the fact that its 120g, although it does look cool at least. There are multiple other company's they could of easily worked with that would of at least put this on quality vinyl, and handled it properly. This was sold as an "RSD" item online, weeks before RSD and their partner was allowed to sell quantitys of 5. As a paying member of 10club, we could buy 1. Anyone else been to RSD events that you could buy qtys of 5 on ltd ed's? Nope, me either. Not exactly in the spirit of RSD. Congrats to anyone that was able to score 1 tho. I have no problem with Ltd ed items and I'm not the 1 that bitches cause I missed out but this could of easily been handled in a quality way that didn't encourage fans and flippers to feast on the less fortunate. I dunno, anymore I get the sense that Pj has little to do with the 10club. I hope I'm wrong but its just the sense I get. Then again, it may have nothing to do with 10club but because communication isn't great it makes you wonder who's calling the shots.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

BS44325 said:

Many people who are complaining have no understanding of what Record Store Day is all about. It is the whole idea of the limited release that gets vinyl enthusiasts to visit an independent record store searching for that one difficult find. Yes these sold out right away but over the years they will drift out into the greater world and behind the counters of your favorite store. Pressing thousands so that everyone on the forum can order one comfortably from their couch defeats the whole purpose of this release. Pearl Jam didn't do this to pad their pockets. They did this to add one more hidden gem to the vibrant catalogues of the independent record stores that are fortunately still with us today. So if you want this record go to your local store and search for it. And while you're searching don't be surprised if you find another hidden gem that you didn't even know you were looking for. Because that is what Record Store Day is all about.

Ok while I enjoyed your eloquent style of writing, I gotta call bs on a couple things. These will not "drift out into the greater world, behind counters of your favorite store". What's the chance of randomly finding a Sevens or a Vault at your local store? Pretty much zero. Unfortunately because of who Pj decided to partner with, far to many of these are going straight into flippers/trippers hands. I don't know if this was a cash grab or not but it sure feels like one. Low quality, pretty colored, re~release of a re-issue. Not even sure why they advertised the fact that its 120g, although it does look cool at least. There are multiple other company's they could of easily worked with that would of at least put this on quality vinyl, and handled it properly. This was sold as an "RSD" item online, weeks before RSD and their partner was allowed to sell quantitys of 5. As a paying member of 10club, we could buy 1. Anyone else been to RSD events that you could buy qtys of 5 on ltd ed's? Nope, me either. Not exactly in the spirit of RSD. Congrats to anyone that was able to score 1 tho. I have no problem with Ltd ed items and I'm not the 1 that bitches cause I missed out but this could of easily been handled in a quality way that didn't encourage fans and flippers to feast on the less fortunate. I dunno, anymore I get the sense that Pj has little to do with the 10club. I hope I'm wrong but its just the sense I get. Then again, it may have nothing to do with 10club but because communication isn't great it makes you wonder who's calling the shots.
    This release has absolutely nothing to do with RSD. 10c have merely thrown the tag of RSD out there. If it was a true RSD release you'd be waiting til RSD to go buy this - in a record store, not sat behind a computer!!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

BS44325 said:

Sometimes I feel like bands(not just PJ) forget about their fans and the music. That is what happens when something like music becomes commoditized. It's unfortunate, but with the age of the internet upon us, bands have to find ways to create income. I don't agree with some of the things the bands do, but I can sometimes understand why they do them.

Sidenote: I like how my local record store will hide some of the highly sought-after RSD releases though out the racks.

Cheers. :-bd
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,915
    how could this possibly be a cash grab?

$30 x 1000 is a max return of $30,000 less manufacturing costs, and all the other things that eat into the product cost. Plus whatever rake the band get from the 1000 newbury records, which I wouldn't expect would be a great deal. I don't think Pearl jam are hard up for 30 grand.

They handed a cheque over to the fan from the Phlilipines on the last tour for 25 grand just as a gesture to the folk suffering out there.

Limited items seem to work for this fanbase. How often have we seen this type of shit storm after an item sells out? You might think folk would shun the next sale? But quite to the contrary it actually fuels the hype, to make the demand more rabid next time.....it might not be pretty but damn it works well.

Limited items are cool........2000 records are a lot, theres gonna be a stack resold on the open market and like sevens the price will dive after the initial rush to grab one subsides. I mean the Vault thing was available for what a month? and rumour has it sold around 3000 units, drop a LTD release the they are gone almost in the same quantity in half an hour. Its quite clear this is a very effective sales method.
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 320
    I am not sure pre-annoucing would work... they did that for ticket sales in the old system, the site crashes and then there is months worth of threads from long time fans being shut out and threatening to leave.

As for them showing up on ebay... they are already being offered in LD. I am not sure how bartering based on a limited item you bought that day for $40 is that different to flipping really. Clearly people who didn't want this bought it to trade, this denies those who have nothing to trade but would have parted with the $40 for the purchase.

No complaints so far on shipping cost though. Or is that thread still to come?
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,916

They have 28 New England Retail Locations

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_home.php?storenr=103&deptnr=60

Good luck to those trying for one on 4/15.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,915
    timbo1972 said:

I am not sure pre-annoucing would work... they did that for ticket sales in the old system, the site crashes and then there is months worth of threads from long time fans being shut out and threatening to leave.

As for them showing up on ebay... they are already being offered in LD. I am not sure how bartering based on a limited item you bought that day for $40 is that different to flipping really. Clearly people who didn't want this bought it to trade, this denies those who have nothing to trade but would have parted with the $40 for the purchase.

your absolutely right, these shouldn't be allowed on Lost Dogs yet in my opinion, unless someone offers it up for 29.99 as they bought and decided they didn't need. Obviously no one will do that as they would be throwing away a tidy sum.

the difficulty with stopping trade threads is that a trade is acceptable if for equal value as that's no reselling, but we all know a 29.99 brand new vinyl cant be traded for a 10 year olf very valuable lost dogs record on a like for like basis.
  • Options
    DamianKDamianK Posts: 192
    My only real complaint is that you could buy 5 copies on the Newbury Comics site. As others have mentioned, this has fed the flippers and meant some real fans missed out. If they had a 1 per customer rule more people would have gotten a copy for $29.99 rather than the inflated prices on eBay.
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    timbo1972 said:

By your reasoning, how is asking $200 for a Binaural not flipping too? It is a rare piece of vinyl, same as this, so how does the fact that this is brand new dictate it's value in the secondary market? This is worth what people will pay for it, and if that is a No Code or Yield, then that is a fair deal in their eyes.

It's capitalism bro, it's the way of the world. It's not going to change, so I don't see a need to stress out over it
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    I think the plan was to create demand by selling out and then retain some for RSD as they stated. If I could buy everything online I wouldn't stand in line on RSD.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,294
    pdalowsky said:

how could this possibly be a cash grab?

$30 x 1000 is a max return of $30,000 less manufacturing costs, and all the other things that eat into the product cost. Plus whatever rake the band get from the 1000 newbury records, which I wouldn't expect would be a great deal. I don't think Pearl jam are hard up for 30 grand.

They handed a cheque over to the fan from the Phlilipines on the last tour for 25 grand just as a gesture to the folk suffering out there.

Limited items seem to work for this fanbase. How often have we seen this type of shit storm after an item sells out? You might think folk would shun the next sale? But quite to the contrary it actually fuels the hype, to make the demand more rabid next time.....it might not be pretty but damn it works well.

Limited items are cool........2000 records are a lot, theres gonna be a stack resold on the open market and like sevens the price will dive after the initial rush to grab one subsides. I mean the Vault thing was available for what a month? and rumour has it sold around 3000 units, drop a LTD release the they are gone almost in the same quantity in half an hour. Its quite clear this is a very effective sales method.

Your logical thinking has no place here!!!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    "Kiss has licensed its name to more than 3,000 product categories, from lunch boxes and comic books to credit cards and condoms to become nearly a one-billion-dollar brand."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_merchandising

Making a PJ / KISS comparison is downright nuts.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Just last November......
    photo eddiegenesimmons_zpsb392ae0d.jpg
  • Options
    Ahhhhh!!!

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,040
    timbo1972 said:

One outrage at a time bro.

• Options
    Double Ahhhhh!!!

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999

timbo1972 said:

$8.99 Seattle to Boston. Seemed reasonable to me.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PixelPixel Posts: 82
    Thissucks.. I am really annoyed by the fact that these things aren't timed, it just isn't fair to the fans, some of us don't live in the same timezone, as soon as i woke up everything was sold out.. really really really annoying..
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Did it say anywhere if the outer packaging would be like the original or the redux?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

timbo1972 said:

As long as it gets there in 3-4 days, no doubt.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181

Did it say anywhere if the outer packaging would be like the original or the redux?

Thats what I am wondering. Not a huge fan of the original redux packaging. We'll see though. They advertised the redux packaging on both newbury and the 10club shop

PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999

JimmyV said:

timbo1972 said:

As long as it gets there in 3-4 days, no doubt.
    Fair point.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Media mail would cost 4.88 with a tracking number and it will get to you in a week.

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    edited April 2014

mick29 said:

BinFrog said:

mick29 said:

But back to the original point us aussies are making these releases are constantly released btn 3-5am AEST, the most populus zone for Australia. Not midnight, not 6am. Either of those 2 times would still be fine for the majority of the US. And binfrog let me remind u pj hail from usa but have a global audience. Continuing that argument after 23 odd years. Omg. We are paid up members wanting a fair go. Missed mad season, all recent 7" and was only lucky on sevens because you guys in the USA second guessed. See the pattern. ..not fair to a contingent of the paid up member fan base. Mick was just explaining the situation. ..this site would melt down if it was other way around. Anyways I am privileged to have such awesome buddies on here
    Please. I'm not trying to make this into anything more than it is. Like it or not, Pearl Jam is an American band...and thus they cater to the American fans when it comes to stuff like this. They released it through their site, which is based on America, and Newbury Comics...which is an east coast American company.

I fully understand the fact that they are a global band with fans all over the world. But they are based here, in America. I wouldn't expect an Australian band, or British band, etc, to cater to the American crowd when it comes to stuff like this. Maybe they do, and maybe they don't.

For the record: I got shut out of this. I was at lunch and did not get the email until it was sold out. Shit happens. I've scored some awesome vinyl, and I've missed out on a few. It's how this whole limited release game goes. That's why/how a limited release works. You win some, you lose some. Like it or not, this is what PJ is going for when they release something in limited amounts. It's a collector's item. Not everyone can have one...otherwise it's not really a limited release now is it?

I don't even know if i would call it entitlement, but some people need to calm down. How many listenable versions of Ten do you already have? This is just one more. Sure it sounds cool, but it's just one release of Ten. Everyone who got shut out needs to take a deep breath. Life will go on.
    Post edited by BinFrog on
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"