Ten Club/Newbury Comics RSD Coke Bottle Clear Vinyl Ten LP in Shop.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited April 2014
    oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Damn, that's really something. Okay Kiss is worse, I'll concede that one, but PJ is still much closer to Kiss than Fugazi, a name that Eddie loves to drop as being a band with "similar ideals".

Mr Vedder assimilates PJ to Fugazi? Never knew that. I guess he didn't realize that MacKaye invented straightedge either...
    Eddie loves Fugazi (of course. they are amazing :) ). He doesn't try to be like Fugazi. I never understood why people bring up Fugazi like that all the time, as though Eddie is supposed to emulate them.
    Also, basically all bands are closer to KISS than Fugazi, lol.
    Anyway, obviously I don't personally give a shit that PJ sells non-music merch. I rarely buy it (I have a few posters and a few of the EV zippos, and hell yes, I would get a lunchbox if they offered one because that would be hilarious). Not sure why ANYONE cares if they do or why having a bit of merch (because honestly, PJ really doesn't have that much of it at all!) makes them "merch whores". Isn't that a really huge exaggeration, as well as unfair when you're reacting to them selling their actual music?
    Its quite simple: people soak up this stuff and that's why they sell it. If they didn't sell out of the stuff, or there wasn't a large demand then they wouldn't try to sell it. Some of those dog collars sold out. AAAAAnnd now I want a lunch box as well.
    You bet! I guess it just bugs me to see the band getting blasted because they are giving the fans what they want (and they don't even do that much merch at all.... I'm still holding out for some damned coasters!).... I realize once in a while it gets stupid, like with those Falla sheep (b/c those had nothing to do with PJ), but still, I don't see why it would turn people off of the band.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    mick29 said:

Ok. So this was once again another thing released over night Australian time. I woke to this nightmare.

If anyone was lucky enough and got multiples at Newbury and wants to make someone really happy please PM me.

Exactly, the email came through for me at 3:17am, I was up around 5:30ish, checked emails about 20 mins later, followed link with not much hope of success and was not surprised they were sold out. Would it be too hard to release something at a time when at least most people are awake? Not the first time.
    No offense, but they are an American-based band. They did release when most people were awake.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Yeah I love this shit
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Damn, that's really something. Okay Kiss is worse, I'll concede that one, but PJ is still much closer to Kiss than Fugazi, a name that Eddie loves to drop as being a band with "similar ideals".

Mr Vedder assimilates PJ to Fugazi? Never knew that. I guess he didn't realize that MacKaye invented straightedge either...
    Eddie loves Fugazi (of course. they are amazing :) ). He doesn't try to be like Fugazi. I never understood why people bring up Fugazi like that all the time, as though Eddie is supposed to emulate them.
    Anyway, obviously I don't personally give a shit that PJ sells non-music merch. I rarely buy it (I have a few posters and a few of the EV zippos, and hell yes, I would get a lunchbox if they offered one because that would be hilarious). Not sure why ANYONE cares if they do or why having a bit of merch (because honestly, PJ really doesn't have that much of it at all!) makes them "merch whores". Isn't that a really huge exaggeration, as well as unfair when you're reacting to them selling their actual music?
    Its quite simple: people soak up this stuff and that's why they sell it. If they didn't sell out of the stuff, or there wasn't a large demand then they wouldn't try to sell it. Some of those dog collars sold out. AAAAAnnd now I want a lunch box as well.
    You bet! I guess it just bugs me to see the band getting blasted because they are giving the fans what they want.

Not all fans, and I get that. But there are others that do. I'm not throwing a shit ton of money on everything, but I passed on sevens and now I want this. The posters sell out at show because people buy them. Same with everything else (mostly). They are not Kiss, but if they sell a lot of stuff its because "WE" buy it.

Wind this thing up.

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

I love how these limited release make grown-ups turn into a bunch of little kids.

It's record people.

Yup. To see people using the term "nightmare" is kind of sad.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You bet! I guess it just bugs me to see the band getting blasted because they are giving the fans what they want.

Not all fans, and I get that. But there are others that do. I'm not throwing a shit ton of money on everything, but I passed on sevens and now I want this. The posters sell out at show because people buy them. Same with everything else (mostly). They are not Kiss, but if they sell a lot of stuff its because "WE" buy it.
    Absolutely. And how many people regret their purchases? I bet not very many! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oysterjaroysterjar Posts: 1,235
    My only complaint regarding the stuff they offer is the lack of availability of their studio albums. Vaults, colored vinyl, Benny all those limited-great. Please release studio LPs.

Wind this thing up.

oysterjar said:

My only complaint regarding the stuff they offer is the lack of availability of their studio albums. Vaults, colored vinyl, Benny all those limited-great. Please release studio LPs.

For sure (although I'd still prefer a Vault release on vinyl over a reissue any day of the week).
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited April 2014
    This wasn't a release for collectors, this was for flippers. 5 per customer is stupid. What kind of policy is that? If it sells out quick and its one per customer then fair enough. Laziest RSD release ever, its a great record but Pearl Jam will always be pigeonholed as 90s grunge with that record if they keep reissuing it and ignore the rest of the catalogue.
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,028
    PJ_Soul said:

oysterjar said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You bet! I guess it just bugs me to see the band getting blasted because they are giving the fans what they want (and they don't even do that much merch at all.... I'm still holding out for some damned coasters!).... I realize once in a while it gets stupid, like with those Falla sheep (b/c those had nothing to do with PJ), but still, I don't see why it would turn people off of the band.
    I agree with what you're saying, but I'm sure most fans would prefer a reissue of some of their best albums instead of a 120gr version of ten on coke bottle green vinyl. I had no interest in buying this, its just annoying that they spend time on a sub-par version of ten when they already have so many 180gr versions out there. Release No Code/Yield/Riot Act/ST/Lost Dogs/Live on Two Legs. Press 10,000 copies, make tons of cash and let the fans hear it instead of an unnecessary coke bottle ten that will sit on the shelf, sealed for the most part.
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    The Fugazi reference is the DIY attitude that the band does have. They now own their own label, hire their own artist, decide who opens for them, how often they play, etc...

You can also say that their live shows lack the over-the-top circus of a Kiss concert. Although PJ's live shows are closer to Bruce than Fugazi.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Lucky I'm not in the market for a 6th or 7th copy of Ten. Man... original CD, original LP, Japanese CD, European CD, Super Deluxe Redux, etc. One for the completists, as it's offering nothing new or unheard. But yeah, a band the size of PJ with the renowned fanbase should be probably upping the pressings of such releases to 10,000 at least. Beats off the flippers, etc. too. No gripe though.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Simply put, this should have been a timed release for at least a day. Total garbage.

In the middle of a physical move and I get a email about this at 4 pm. What a joke. Next time just send me a email with a picture of the item with large red letters across it, reading SOLD OUT
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • shrinx29shrinx29 Posts: 10
    Problem with TIME ZONE again! Hopefully PJ Ten Club would release twice a day in the future days on DIFFERENT TIME ZONE!
    "EGB"
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    fucking people with jobs left out again
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    hrd2imgn said:

fucking people with jobs left out again

This is a little frustrating. I can't really be glued to this site or my email at my job. I also feel sorry for folks who weren't even awake. Just sucks knowing how many of these wind up in the hands of people who could care less about the actual music or product itself. I'd gladly have given some of my hard earned money to this release but didn't get a chance.
  • jonsey30jonsey30 Posts: 1,000
    edited April 2014
    I was out to lunch when the e-mail came through, and I was able to get right in and get a copy on my phone. I don't understand people that don't get e-mail on their phone. Then I checked when I got back into the office and it was sold out. So I had to come back tonight to read the bitching, and DAMN! I didn't expect 13 pages of it, and multiple other threads in multiple sections of the forum. I'm glad I got one, and I feel for those that didn't.

Could you imagine if this was a No Code re-issue? This place would be a zoo!
    Post edited by jonsey30 on
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Many people who are complaining have no understanding of what Record Store Day is all about. It is the whole idea of the limited release that gets vinyl enthusiasts to visit an independent record store searching for that one difficult find. Yes these sold out right away but over the years they will drift out into the greater world and behind the counters of your favorite store. Pressing thousands so that everyone on the forum can order one comfortably from their couch defeats the whole purpose of this release. Pearl Jam didn't do this to pad their pockets. They did this to add one more hidden gem to the vibrant catalogues of the independent record stores that are fortunately still with us today. So if you want this record go to your local store and search for it. And while you're searching don't be surprised if you find another hidden gem that you didn't even know you were looking for. Because that is what Record Store Day is all about.
  • moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    I would like to see a system like the ticket lottery where the TC gives everyone who's interested an opportunity to place an order for one copy and then pick 1000 orders at random when the registration period is over. Not perfect, but gives everyone an equal shake.

Not trying to open up a can of worms with the ticket lottery comparison, or get off topic. It seems like with a fan club this size and this passionate, it may be a way to please the most people at one time.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    My god it's a record people. Some of you act like you lost your first born
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    BS44325 said:

Many people who are complaining have no understanding of what Record Store Day is all about. It is the whole idea of the limited release that gets vinyl enthusiasts to visit an independent record store searching for that one difficult find. Yes these sold out right away but over the years they will drift out into the greater world and behind the counters of your favorite store. Pressing thousands so that everyone on the forum can order one comfortably from their couch defeats the whole purpose of this release. Pearl Jam didn't do this to pad their pockets. They did this to add one more hidden gem to the vibrant catalogues of the independent record stores that are fortunately still with us today. So if you want this record go to your local store and search for it. And while you're searching don't be surprised if you find another hidden gem that you didn't even know you were looking for. Because that is what Record Store Day is all about.

If thats the case, then why was it sold online, using computers. No one stood in a line at a record store. No one perused through aisles of records while they purchased this lp. These records aren't ending up in the stores. They're being shipped out straight to homes.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    yeah record store day is about getting out and supporting your local record store, not a band's web store.

Really Santos, this recent rash of sudden sells is annoying. I know you are doing it to keep the servers from crashing, but is it that hard to give a days notice?
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460

BS44325 said:

If thats the case, then why was it sold online, using computers. No one stood in a line at a record store. No one perused through aisles of records while they purchased this lp. These records aren't ending up in the stores. They're being shipped out straight to homes.
    I think he meant over time, one year, five years... who knows, some of these will end up in the stores, eventually.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I saw this on facebook (thank you, Demetrios, for sharing the news all the time image )and went over to Newbury. At first I thought it was a April Fools' joke too, and waited a little. Then I saw that it was also offered on Tenclub. I went here, put it in my cart, but it was gone when I checked out. So I completed my purchase at Newbury. I just recently got myself Bleach on coloured vinyl there too. They seem to be cool.
    I already have an original Ten vinyl (which I also got cheap on the bay a couple of years ago), but I don't have the Ten Redux on vinyl yet. I love coloured vinyl too and the price was good. That was my argument for buying one. Unlike when I considered getting Sevens and decided against it.

Now where's that Benaroya Hall RSD vinyl release, Pearl Jam? image

And hell yeah, I'd totally get a PJ lunchbox too imageimage

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    BS44325 said:

Many people who are complaining have no understanding of what Record Store Day is all about. It is the whole idea of the limited release that gets vinyl enthusiasts to visit an independent record store searching for that one difficult find.

That's what RSD is but I'm not sure that's what it is trying to be (or started out to be). I visit my local record store a few times a month to see what they have. RSD tends to be the most dissapointing day of the year as you always miss out on some super rare album.

I think RSD is becoming more of a "Record Collector Dissapointment" day with each passing year. Unless you live in a small market you have to line hours early to stand a chance at getting anything interesting. I actually spend the least amount of time in the record store on RSD. Spend all the time in lineup and I just want to GTFO :)

RSD started off as putting out special release to get people back into record stores. The original stuff was limited in nature but vinyl was less popular back then so stuff wasn't so hard to get. Now that RSD has help do what it was supposed to do (get people buying vinyl) it would be nice if they upped the pressings a bit. Not enough to to provide a month long supply of records, but enough that people can find the records, or walk into the record store a few hours after it opens and buy the releases.

In most places there's no point going to RSD unless you line up before doors, so it's more like record store hour. If you show up after it's business as usual. Could of shown up any other day.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    edited April 2014
    Sold out already?...That was quick.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I still do enjoy RDS. Last time, I lined up for the first time all by myself. I was the first in line and got everything I wanted. It was a very cool experience. I will still go this time too. I love the little talks with the people in the line and the silent excitement when you get to go to the tables to check the stuff out. It's a little bit like christmas. I guess our record stores are not as crowded as in a big city though, that makes for a nicer experience...
  • tubes10stubes10s Posts: 527

I would like to see a system like the ticket lottery where the TC gives everyone who's interested an opportunity to place an order for one copy and then pick 1000 orders at random when the registration period is over. Not perfect, but gives everyone an equal shake.

Not trying to open up a can of worms with the ticket lottery comparison, or get off topic. It seems like with a fan club this size and this passionate, it may be a way to please the most people at one time.

I don't see how that's any more or less of an equal shake. Both methods are fairly random, since we don't know when these emails will pop up. I also don't see how this could be a way to please the most people at one time... the number of people getting the item isn't changing, so the same number of people will be pleased when they get their item, whether it was a lottery or first come first served.
    8-31-98 - Raleigh
    8-3-00 - Virginia Beach
    4-16-03 - Charlotte
    5-27-06 - Camden 1
    5-28-06 - Camden 2
    5-30-06 - DC
    6-17-08 - Virginia Beach
    6-22-08 - DC
    5-13-10 - Bristow
    10-27-13 - Baltimore
    10-29-13 - Charlottesville
    4-18-16 - Hampton
  • PJ Fan 1978PJ Fan 1978 Posts: 165
    Glad to be a member so I can overpay on Ebay :D
  • mick29mick29 Posts: 37
    BinFrog said:

mick29 said:

Ok. So this was once again another thing released over night Australian time. I woke to this nightmare.

If anyone was lucky enough and got multiples at Newbury and wants to make someone really happy please PM me.

Exactly, the email came through for me at 3:17am, I was up around 5:30ish, checked emails about 20 mins later, followed link with not much hope of success and was not surprised they were sold out. Would it be too hard to release something at a time when at least most people are awake? Not the first time.
    No offense, but they are an American-based band. They did release when most people were awake.
    This is true, however there are more countries in the world than America and I would almost bet my house on it that the global fan base is larger than the 'American' one.

Even if they could advertise the presale like someone else has mentioned to be on at a certain time etc, then ppl can decide if they wish to get be up ready and waiting.

Would also eliminate the received emails to fan club members that arrived after they were sold out which happened to a fair few 'American' members by the looks of it.