Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282

I dont know, Baba five songs into a setlist and not knowing they were going to play (fucking sweet, sweet) Yield in its entirety, in order, is pretty fucking spot on for not knowing what they're going to pull out next.

I cannot put into words how pissed I would be if I went to a greatest hits show that was sandwiched in between no code and yield in their entireties. haha

yeah---baba 5 songs in! wtf? my head would explode
    yea i get that somewhat but when you travel to see them it as much as where you go and what you see and experience of the location as much as the show. the show was the reason to go but it wasn't the entirety of the experience. and was still a great show.

besides on their own what set of songs would you rather have played?

Brain of J, Faithfull, No Way, Wishlist, Pilate, MFC, Low Light, In Hiding, Push Me Pull me, All Those Yesterdays

or

Release, Nothingman, Go, Life Wasted, Save You, Love Boat Captain, Footsteps. I Got ID, Imagine, Why Go, Thin Air.

Given To Fly and Evolution were played at both.

I love Faithfull, Wishlist, In Hiding, and All Those Yesterdays but hard to choose songs like No Way Pilate and Push Me Pull Me over any of the different songs i got to see compared to the Yield songs.
  • Options
    and are any of you guys GA people? Last time I did that was the Borgata and that was enough for me. Was talking to the guy who was 1st in line for the St. Paul show and he was there at 1:00 pm on Saturday afternoon for a Sunday night show. Is that really worth it? I don't really get that or why anyone would wait in a merchandise line for hours.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,778

I dont know, Baba five songs into a setlist and not knowing they were going to play (fucking sweet, sweet) Yield in its entirety, in order, is pretty fucking spot on for not knowing what they're going to pull out next.

I cannot put into words how pissed I would be if I went to a greatest hits show that was sandwiched in between no code and yield in their entireties. haha

My fucking head pretty much did explode....couldn't believe what I was hearing. And then they go right into Brain of J...I had a feeling they might be doing Yield since they had just played that song on Friday. Once the first notes of Faithfull hit, it was on....doesn't get any better than that. Can't believe I picked Moline and Milwaukee shows to go to...so damn lucky.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    pjhawks said:

yea i get that somewhat but when you travel to see them it as much as where you go and what you see and experience of the location as much as the show. the show was the reason to go but it wasn't the entirety of the experience. and was still a great show.

Brain of J, Faithfull, No Way, Wishlist, Pilate, MFC, Low Light, In Hiding, Push Me Pull me, All Those Yesterdays

or

Release, Nothingman, Go, Life Wasted, Save You, Love Boat Captain, Footsteps. I Got ID, Imagine, Why Go, Thin Air.

I love Faithfull, Wishlist, In Hiding, and All Those Yesterdays but hard to choose songs like No Way Pilate and Push Me Pull Me over any of the different songs i got to see compared to the Yield songs.
    yield and no code, to me, were this band at their absolute peak. my 2 fav albums. I would have taken those 2 shows and all of those songs in order over the st paul show--or any other show they've done recently, without any hesitation....especially just for the uniqueness of playing an album all the way through. they've only done that once, maybe twice before and that was for a new release. this was just.....who the fuck knows why? it was just awesome. I can't wait for the boots.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

My fucking head pretty much did explode....couldn't believe what I was hearing. And then they go right into Brain of J...I had a feeling they might be doing Yield since they had just played that song on Friday. Once the first notes of Faithfull hit, it was on....doesn't get any better than that. Can't believe I picked Moline and Milwaukee shows to go to...so damn lucky.
    you lucky sonofabitch!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

or

yield and no code, to me, were this band at their absolute peak. my 2 fav albums. I would have taken those 2 shows and all of those songs in order over the st paul show--or any other show they've done recently, without any hesitation....especially just for the uniqueness of playing an album all the way through. they've only done that once, maybe twice before and that was for a new release. this was just.....who the fuck knows why? it was just awesome. I can't wait for the boots.
    i get that, especially the No Code one because that was really random and over half those songs are never played and frankly often under played. I have no idea why Red Mosquito is not a staple. that song is awesome live.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,828

you lucky sonofabitch!
    Lucky sonofabitch indeed.

I don't buy boots anymore to shows I don't attend, but this one in particular might have to break that.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    anyone else listening to this xpn countdown this week? immensely enjoyable. think it ends tomorrow. zeppelin's had about a hundred appearances so far.

last few songs I've heard in row in the last half hour or so:

joy division- love will tear us apart
    mmj- wordless chorus
    beatles - all u need is love
    doors- la woman
    elvis Costello - whats so funny about peace...
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica
    greatfull dead- sugar magnolia

that's some good radio, right there gentlemen.

edit---and now a live version of sweet jane. hells yeah.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

anyone else listening to this xpn countdown this week? immensely enjoyable. think it ends tomorrow. zeppelin's had about a hundred appearances so far.

mmj- wordless chorus
    doors- la woman
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica

XPN is the only thing that makes me listen to the radio anymore.

In Phils related news - don't mind the WIlliams or Sizemore deals. One year contracts that are really not that bad value.

And in regards to the Gillick comments - THANK GOD. You're rebuilding, and you know it, and you're finally saying it. That's all any of us wanted to hear. Granted, it doesn't make up for the fact that the shithead still sitting at GM is here and goes against everything Amaro has said. I'm just glad they're saying it now. Makes my negotiations with my sales rep that much easier, too.
  • Options
    Is Sleater Kinney really this in demand? Been trying to get tickets for the last 5 minutes - went onsale at noon, and nothing as of 12:01...
  • Options

Is Sleater Kinney really this in demand? Been trying to get tickets for the last 5 minutes - went onsale at noon, and nothing as of 12:01...

it's their reunion tour right? after, what? 4 years of a break. haha

carrie is funny as shit...I just never got into their music too much. they ruined too many pj encore sets for my liking---specifically harvest moon at wells fargo circa 2005 or so. god, that pissed me off.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

it's their reunion tour right? after, what? 4 years of a break. haha

carrie is funny as shit...I just never got into their music too much. they ruined too many pj encore sets for my liking---specifically harvest moon at wells fargo circa 2005 or so. god, that pissed me off.
    yea that Wells Fargo encore was bad but nothing compares to the butchering of Hunger Strike at the Holmdel 2003 show with them. awesome song but totally unlistenable on the boot.
  • Options
    joe maddon opts out of his contract. hmmm....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

joe maddon opts out of his contract. hmmm....

Yeah, they're not dropping Sandberg just yet.

I don't know what was worse - Corin's singing or Eddie's guitar playing.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,237

mmj- wordless chorus
    doors- la woman
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica

In Phils related news - don't mind the WIlliams or Sizemore deals. One year contracts that are really not that bad value.

And in regards to the Gillick comments - THANK GOD. You're rebuilding, and you know it, and you're finally saying it. That's all any of us wanted to hear. Granted, it doesn't make up for the fact that the shithead still sitting at GM is here and goes against everything Amaro has said. I'm just glad they're saying it now. Makes my negotiations with my sales rep that much easier, too.
    they're in the top 20 now :D Did you vote?

http://xpn.org/music-artist/885-countdown
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

mmj- wordless chorus
    doors- la woman
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica

i didn't vote. the rest of the countdown was more interesting than the very top. kinda predictable up there...

one thing i found odd--they just had a 2 week long pledge drive (at least it felt like 2 weeks) where they are begging for money and purposely try to make you feel bad if you listen for free....a few days later they launch a rather big (for them) marketing display with billboards along the turnpike and 95 and other places. don't think they're as hard up for cash as they let on. still love them though.

and i'm a day or so late--but yeah, i love gillick's comments. 2017, here we come!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

mmj- wordless chorus
    doors- la woman
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica

i didn't vote. the rest of the countdown was more interesting than the very top. kinda predictable up there...

one thing i found odd--they just had a 2 week long pledge drive (at least it felt like 2 weeks) where they are begging for money and purposely try to make you feel bad if you listen for free....a few days later they launch a rather big (for them) marketing display with billboards along the turnpike and 95 and other places. don't think they're as hard up for cash as they let on. still love them though.

and i'm a day or so late--but yeah, i love gillick's comments. 2017, here we come!
    oh ok. yeah the pledge drive kinda gets on my nerve but they gotta do what they gotta do. I voted, although most of my choices were "obvious" ones. Six Pearl Jam songs made the countdown. One that surprised me and that i voted for was Release. The 88 worst songs should be fun, that starts today at 10.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

mmj- wordless chorus
    doors- la woman
    the who- love reign...
    pj- alive
    almond bros- Jessica

oh ok. yeah the pledge drive kinda gets on my nerve but they gotta do what they gotta do. I voted, although most of my choices were "obvious" ones. Six Pearl Jam songs made the countdown. One that surprised me and that i voted for was Release. The 88 worst songs should be fun, that starts today at 10.

cool---i heard release.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    edited October 2014
    Rocket launch and a beer from the rooftop tonight. Oh hell yes

Edit: well nope, cancelled for tonight
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

say what?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

say what?
    http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/10/26/rocket-launch-could-dazzle-u-s-east-coast/

Fucking boat was in the wrong place and they postponed until tomorrow. Tonight was perfect conditions. Last time they had one you could see it booking across the sky for what seemed like a couple minutes. It was so far away but it looked like it was over the airport. Awesome stuff
  • Options
    Officially a homeowner in South Philly. What in the world am I getting myself into. Pretty fucking pumped though.

Jeags, I officially hate your fucking industry. What a pain in the scrotum.
  • Options
    You're a Fillufyian.
  • Options

Officially a homeowner in South Philly. What in the world am I getting myself into. Pretty fucking pumped though.

ha....let me know if ever need to refinance--congrats

and, thanks for jinxing this damn rocket launch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

ha....let me know if ever need to refinance--congrats

and, thanks for jinxing this damn rocket launch.
    Thanks man. Very excited. Will do. It boggled my mind that they couldn't tell me how much I owed till 20 minutes after we sat down for settlement

Holy shit dude. What the fuck. I made the wife wait to go to the new place until we saw it launch (I am a huge nerd at times). Was watching the nasa feed and was like okay... That escalated quickly.
  • Options
    Bet that boat feels like shit
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited October 2014
    congrats on the new place dude. I just landed a new gig myself that is going to allow us to move back up to philly. So I will be going through the house purchasing process again and I completely agree with your stance on that industry. Absolutely brutal. Housing industry aside (and the terrible PA drivers going 60 mph in the left hand lane), I am really looking forward to getting back to Philly...city is like a black hole, every time I move away I end up coming back.

Would have loved to be at the milwaukee show for Yield, but Detroit and Moline were both incredible. Prob in my top 10 concerts I have been to. Definitely looking forward to those boots.

Vedder is morphing into Springsteen. Doing entire albums live and going into the crowd to sing songs. Both shows I attended had a springsteen concert feel to them (definitely not a bad thing).

As for the phils, they're a disaster. I really don't understand how amaro still has a job. The culture and direction of this awful franchise aren't going to change until montgomery and amaro are both gone (with ryan howard getting honorable mention).

Lastly, harold reynolds is really ruining a great WS. Everything that comes out of his mouth is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. He might be worse than joe morgan, tim mccarver, wheels, and mccarthy all combined. I don't know how joe buck puts up with him
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Fixer said:

congrats on the new place dude. I just landed a new gig myself that is going to allow us to move back up to philly. So I will be going through the house purchasing process again and I completely agree with your stance on that industry. Absolutely brutal. Housing industry aside (and the terrible PA drivers going 60 mph in the left hand lane), I am really looking forward to getting back to Philly...city is like a black hole, every time I move away I end up coming back.
    im

another new gig? didn't you just move down there like a year or two ago? can't imagine having to move around that much...

also--agreed, harold reynolds sucks. i hate having nick swisher on the pregame show too.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    6 years ago today....time fucking flies
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

6 years ago today....time fucking flies

i was just going to post that
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ