Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458

diamond club seats for tomorrow night...got 'em for free. never been there before.

5th row directly behind the plate. fucking awesome. could really get a sense for how fast giles was throwing the ball. also, i didn't know this till last night, you have access to a window overlooking both teams' batting cages in the tunnels behind the dugouts. that was cool.

as bad as the phils have been, they were 4-1 in games i went to this year.
    well you should have went to more games then. :P

Anyone else see this last night? :))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjb3p_bga8
    ha...my seats the night before were right behind the "csn" sign
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,659

cole hamels is the first pitcher to have an era below 2.50 and not have a winning record since orel hershiser in 1989.

awwwww......at least he's got your man crush.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282
    Juggler - now that is what I would call a dominating season by Cole. a lot more dominate than 5 of the previous 7 which you called dominating. if 5 of the previous 7 were dominating by your definition I'd love to know what word you would use for this season.

the fans mocking Kimbrel the other night was pretty neat. they had a good portion of those fans there doing it.

if today was Ryan's last game as a Phil I hope the fans will remember the great times. I know I will.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Juggler - now that is what I would call a dominating season by Cole..

well, nobody has ever accused this guy of being ahead of the curve. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive said:

cole hamels is the first pitcher to have an era below 2.50 and not have a winning record since orel hershiser in 1989.

awwwww......at least he's got your man crush.
    hey man, he's one of the best pitcher's in the league that nobody ever acknowledges...even in philadelphia. hell of a season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

no, i just realized before some people what Cole was capable of. will you admit that calling 5 of his previous 7 seasons dominate was a little over the top? especially compared to this season?
    come on you can do it...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

no, i just realized before some people what Cole was capable of. will you admit that calling 5 of his previous 7 seasons dominate was a little over the top? especially compared to this season?
    come on you can do it...
    other than era and hr allowed, everything else is right on par with the rest of his career
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hamelco01.shtml?redir

keep this in mind before criticizing him if he starts off slowly again next year. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...
    other than era and hr allowed, everything else is right on par with the rest of his career

keep this in mind before criticizing him if he starts off slowly again next year. haha
    so according to you he wasn't much better this year than in the past? you can't possibly think that or be that stubborn can you? come on now dude.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

so according to you he wasn't much better this year than in the past? you can't possibly think that or be that stubborn can you? come on now dude.
    dude, look at the numbers. they are right there in the link. you could make an argument that this was his best year because the era was lower and hr's were lower, but the walk rate was also higher---everything else is right about where his career averages are at. i'd say this was comparable to his 2011 season. nobody should be surprised by the season he just had.

the guy's a great pitcher and has been for a while.

viva le cole hamels.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

dude, look at the numbers. they are right there in the link. you could make an argument that this was his best year because the era was lower and hr's were lower, but the walk rate was also higher---everything else is right about where his career averages are at. i'd say this was comparable to his 2011 season. nobody should be surprised by the season he just had.

viva le cole hamels.
    i guess i was wrong...you can be that stubborn.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,828
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

viva le cole hamels.

The irony is dripping, oozing, if you will.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

viva le cole hamels.

I know I am a stubborn SOB. i think it's a great quality. now how is that possible gift from above (your words not mine) of Montgomery getting cancer working out for ya so far?

• Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

viva le cole hamels.

actual numbers are kinda hard to argue against. you can't make this stuff up.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

come on you can do it...

viva le cole hamels.

actual numbers are kinda hard to argue against. you can't make this stuff up.
    the most important number for a pitcher was significantly better than all but one season and if you take out the 1st few starts since June 1st his numbers far surpassed any stretch in his career. the next best 4-month stretch was in 2011 and even those don't really come close to this year.

his era by month:
    2014 2011
    April 6.75 3.13
    May 3.71 2.93
    June 1.23 1.31
    July 1.84 3.25
    Aug 2.73 2.42
    Sep 1.96 3.79

so yea look a bit deeper into the numbers and tell me he wasn't significantly better in 2014.

thus endeth the lesson
  • Options
    There's a reason I don't actually engage in a cogent conversation/debate with this guy. I am genuinely convinced (concerned?) that he has a(many) problem(s) - mentally, possibly physically as well.

But definitely mentally.
  • Options
    in simplest terms-

stat 2014 career
    era 2.46 3.27
    games started 30 33
    IP 204 223
    whip 1.148 1.142
    hr/9 .6 1
    hits/9 7.7 8
    bb/9 2.6 2.3
    so/9 8.7 8.9

argument can be made that '14 or '11 was his best year....but overall, this is who cole hamels is: one of the best pitchers in the league. most of us have been aware of this for years.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    so there's another corner outfield cuban dude available....please make a play for him. thank you.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

There's a reason I don't actually engage in a cogent conversation/debate with this guy. I am genuinely convinced (concerned?) that he has a(many) problem(s) - mentally, possibly physically as well.

But definitely mentally.

hurts coming from a guy who called someone getting cancer ' a possible gift from above'. you stay classy Jearlpam
  • Options

in simplest terms-

stat 2014 career
    era 2.46 3.27
    games started 30 33
    IP 204 223
    whip 1.148 1.142
    hr/9 .6 1
    hits/9 7.7 8
    bb/9 2.6 2.3
    so/9 8.7 8.9

argument can be made that '14 or '11 was his best year....but overall, this is who cole hamels is: one of the best pitchers in the league. most of us have been aware of this for years.

i would say a difference of almost a full point on his era (0.81) is a fairly big difference from this year to career. wouldn't you?

and again if you consider the era after May it is a humongous difference compared to his career era. he has never had a 4th month stretch in his career that approached June-September of this year.

and when did i ever say he wasn't one of the best pitchers in the league? this year he was one of the top 3, most years he has been in the 7-10 range.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

so there's another corner outfield cuban dude available....please make a play for him. thank you.

Get both of them
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

in simplest terms-

stat 2014 career
    era 2.46 3.27
    games started 30 33
    IP 204 223
    whip 1.148 1.142
    hr/9 .6 1
    hits/9 7.7 8
    bb/9 2.6 2.3
    so/9 8.7 8.9

i would say a difference of almost a full point on his era (0.81) is a fairly big difference from this year to career. wouldn't you?

and again if you consider the era after May it is a humongous difference compared to his career era. he has never had a 4th month stretch in his career that approached June-September of this year.

and when did i ever say he wasn't one of the best pitchers in the league? this year he was one of the top 3, most years he has been in the 7-10 range.
    re: era, I acknowledged that from the start when I said that is why you can make the argument that '14 or '11 has been his best year.

makes no sense to not take the season as a whole. i'm sure he had similar stretches in 2011. it also makes no sense to cherry pick one stat and ignore, literally, every other stat imaginable. par for the course with you, though.

hey, welcome to the cole hamels appreciation train! you're only about 7 years late.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014

pjhawks said:

in simplest terms-

stat 2014 career
    era 2.46 3.27
    games started 30 33
    IP 204 223
    whip 1.148 1.142
    hr/9 .6 1
    hits/9 7.7 8
    bb/9 2.6 2.3
    so/9 8.7 8.9

re: era, I acknowledged that from the start when I said that is why you can make the argument that '14 or '11 has been his best year.

makes no sense to not take the season as a whole. i'm sure he had similar stretches in 2011. it also makes no sense to cherry pick one stat and ignore, literally, every other stat imaginable. par for the course with you, though.

hey, welcome to the cole hamels appreciation train! you're only about 7 years late.
    i've always appreciated Cole. not sure how calling a guy very good is considered not appreciating him.

edit: no one in almost 50 years for this franchise has had a longer streak of giving up 3 earned runs of less than Cole's 26 game steak this year. considering he started 30 games i would say yea that is better than previous seasons.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

in simplest terms-

stat 2014 career
    era 2.46 3.27
    games started 30 33
    IP 204 223
    whip 1.148 1.142
    hr/9 .6 1
    hits/9 7.7 8
    bb/9 2.6 2.3
    so/9 8.7 8.9

i've always appreciated Cole. not sure how calling a guy very good is considered not appreciating him.

edit: no one in almost 50 years for this franchise has had a longer streak of giving up 3 earned runs of less than Cole's 26 game steak this year. considering he started 30 games i would say yea that is better than previous seasons.
    yeah, nobody but you is surprised by that stat. he's one of the best pitcher's in the game. has been for a while.

and yeah, everyone agrees on this past year being better than previous seasons for him. no doubt.

have a feeling this town will never fully appreciate hamels until he's gone....which might happen this offseason.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,237
    my favorite moment of the year was Mccarthy homerun catch :))
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Is6V78uRUg
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    monty pushed out/middleton making move to be majority owner?
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2014/10/2/6896865/report-phillies-making-major-changes-at-the-top

well, take with a grain of salt, but if true--we could finally be seeing major changes very soon
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

monty pushed out/middleton making move to be majority owner?
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2014/10/2/6896865/report-phillies-making-major-changes-at-the-top

well, take with a grain of salt, but if true--we could finally be seeing major changes very soon

We need major changes. Thanks for the ring Ryan.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    hope this means they make a run for that cuban dude
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Now of course they're denying all the power moves. But one can hope.

As for the Cuban - I am going to get my hopes up. It makes too much sense. Even at over $100M it would be a sensible deal. Suffice to say, I will be very disappointed if they don't sign Tomas.
  • Options

Now of course they're denying all the power moves. But one can hope.

As for the Cuban - I am going to get my hopes up. It makes too much sense. Even at over $100M it would be a sensible deal. Suffice to say, I will be very disappointed if they don't sign Tomas.
    yeah he's only 24 or so right?

tomas
    tomas
    tomas
    !

give us something to get excited about goddammit
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    not sure what to believe here. While I think it's totally plausible Middleton is trying to take over I tend not to believe much of anything Howard Eskin says.