Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664

cole hamels. god bless him....he's the only reason to watch this team

"colbert" :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    The Fixer said:

"History won't show Ryan Howard as having had the worst contract in the history of baseball, that's only because Ruben Amaro had the good sense to stop it at five years. Although there is a sixth-year, $23-million club option. So, you know, maybe."

Now that's funny.
    It's the worst contract in the history of sports

Howard's backers cite his RBI total, that he's driven in 60 runs. Well, so have 17 other major-leaguers. And Howard has had more plate appearances this season with men on base than any player in baseball.

In 224 of Howard's plate appearances, one or more runners have been on base. He's driven in just 14.8 percent of them. More than 175 players have a better rate of plating their baserunners.

The reason the author of that article says it's not the worst contract ever is because earlier in the article he notes that at least it's almost over. It's not a Pujols-type of contract that still has so many years to go.

As for Ruben, not trading anyone by the deadline is outrageous. This was basically elementary-level Baseball general managing. Your team blows. There's no end in sight. You have a couple of guys that could be of value to a contender. You make a trade. If you can't pull off a deal for either Byrd or Papelbon, what the fuck can you do? But ya know what? We all hate on Amaro, but he's not even to blame anymore. If a someone sucks at his job, it's up to his bosses to fire him. That's How To Run A Business 101.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

The Fixer said:

"History won't show Ryan Howard as having had the worst contract in the history of baseball, that's only because Ruben Amaro had the good sense to stop it at five years. Although there is a sixth-year, $23-million club option. So, you know, maybe."

Now that's funny.

Howard's backers cite his RBI total, that he's driven in 60 runs. Well, so have 17 other major-leaguers. And Howard has had more plate appearances this season with men on base than any player in baseball.

In 224 of Howard's plate appearances, one or more runners have been on base. He's driven in just 14.8 percent of them. More than 175 players have a better rate of plating their baserunners.

The reason the author of that article says it's not the worst contract ever is because earlier in the article he notes that at least it's almost over. It's not a Pujols-type of contract that still has so many years to go.

As for Ruben, not trading anyone by the deadline is outrageous. This was basically elementary-level Baseball general managing. Your team blows. There's no end in sight. You have a couple of guys that could be of value to a contender. You make a trade. If you can't pull off a deal for either Byrd or Papelbon, what the fuck can you do? But ya know what? We all hate on Amaro, but he's not even to blame anymore. If a someone sucks at his job, it's up to his bosses to fire him. That's How To Run A Business 101.
    Pujols is going to have more bad years over the course of the contract than Howard because of the length, so it will technically end up worse but I bet they get more out of him than the phillies got out of Howard, which was zero. I don't know how that will break down in WAR/Salary but Howard is going to be worse than replacement level over the 5 year contract.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469

The Fixer said:

Now that's funny.

agreed. hopefully ownership told amaro not to make any trades unless he was blown away by the offer because they plan on canning him after the season and letting the new gm rebuild.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Good thing the fans in DC paid their hard earned money to watch the umps
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

The Fixer said:

Now that's funny.

Pujols is going to have more bad years over the course of the contract than Howard because of the length, so it will technically end up worse but I bet they get more out of him than the phillies got out of Howard, which was zero. I don't know how that will break down in WAR/Salary but Howard is going to be worse than replacement level over the 5 year contract.
    Howard is already worse than replacement. Has been for a while now.

This franchise is a complete joke. They're like the pre-Hinkie sixers
  • Options

The Fixer said:

Now that's funny.

BUT HE HAS SO MANY RBI!!
    :))
  • Options
    i didn't realize they were making a movie of this but it looks pretty intense and i think it won something at cannes. definitely one of the weirder things to happen around these parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3O6jT78-Q
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291

i didn't realize they were making a movie of this but it looks pretty intense and i think it won something at cannes. definitely one of the weirder things to happen around these parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE3O6jT78-Q

heard this was supposed to be really great and that at Cannes they were talking this could be Oscar worthy. supposedly Steve Carell is fantastic as John DuPont.

I just hope it shows how Nova overlooked his insanity for the money. it will always be DuPont Pavillion. even though they took his name off the building doesn't mean it wasn't paid for by a murderer :-O
  • Options
    The Phillies asked for Aaron Judge for Marlon Byrd. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=judge-001aar
  • Options

jesus.....do you think my theory could be true? that ownership kind of told him not to make moves unless he was blown away because they are planning on getting rid of him in a couple months and want the new guy making those decisions?

please god let that be true....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

jesus.....do you think my theory could be true? that ownership kind of told him not to make moves unless he was blown away because they are planning on getting rid of him in a couple months and want the new guy making those decisions?

please god let that be true....
    One would hope, right? I mean it does make some sense given that you can't really replace a GM at that point and you would want a new guy to be able to make all his own moves, but I don't know if I have that much faith in them.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Jeags -

I think that is hope running through your brain. I cannot give this club that kind of credit.

I can't think anything else but they're fucking idiots.
  • Options

Jeags -

I think that is hope running through your brain. I cannot give this club that kind of credit.

you are probably right....but they could be doing it and doing it for the wrong reasons. we know they are loyal to a fault. maybe the feel like they don't want to embarrass a guy who has been in their organization for 20+ years (not to mention his dad played for them too).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Jeags -

you are probably right....but they could be doing it and doing it for the wrong reasons. we know they are loyal to a fault. maybe the feel like they don't want to embarrass a guy who has been in their organization for 20+ years (not to mention his dad played for them too).
    Yeah, I just don't see it. If they're able to let go of their world series winning manager with the logic of, "why wait?", then the same should be applied to the GM.

But who knows - maybe the candidates they want to fill the spot aren't available yet. Sure, what the hell, I'll hope with you.
  • Options

Jeags -

Yeah, I just don't see it. If they're able to let go of their world series winning manager with the logic of, "why wait?", then the same should be applied to the GM.

But who knows - maybe the candidates they want to fill the spot aren't available yet. Sure, what the hell, I'll hope with you.

....go birds
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Jeags -

And the first baseman. Revere's slugging percentage isn't far off from what The Big Piece of Shit has done this year
  • Options
    Nola made his first start at AA last night. Was pretty decent. If this Biddle kid could stop being a puss then ya got two damn fine arms in the not-so-distant future. And I continue to hope(lessly)...
  • Options

Nola made his first start at AA last night. Was pretty decent. If this Biddle kid could stop being a puss then ya got two damn fine arms in the not-so-distant future. And I continue to hope(lessly)...

I think biddle looked good in his start too. i'd like to make a trip to reading to see nola pitch before they shut him down actually...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254
    Roberto Hernandez to the Dodgers for 2 minor leaguers.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

beat it, roberto
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sure you guys saw the mets guys trolling hunter pence. pretty funny actually.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,548

Why? How are the Dodgers gonna use him?

Phillies trying to stock pile that baron Minor Leagues? From what you read they sure need to start doing that.
  • Options
    imalive said:

I'm sure you guys saw the mets guys trolling hunter pence. pretty funny actually.

hunter pence can't parallel park.

haha....yeah they were funny
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

imalive said:

hunter pence can't parallel park.

haha....yeah they were funny

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    congrats to charlie. well deserved.

another unlucky outing for cole last night. to further illustrate how dominate he has been this year:

"The Phillies lefthander pitched seven or more innings and allowed one or no runs in each of his last five starts. No Phillies pitcher has had a longer such streak since Steve Carlton, who did it in six straight starts during his memorable 1972 season. Hamels' ERA in those five starts is 0.73."
    Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20140810_Hamels_stellar_again_but_gets_no-decision.html#2GJ0cELeY0dg82yl.99
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    was in chicago most of last week for work. my god I love that city. my wife has never been, taking her for a long weekend in a couple of weeks.

the fixer has a busy 6 months coming up.

yanks/O's this week
    chicago (including seeing the O's at wrigley)
    PJ shows (at least 2, possibly 3)
    bach party in NO
    mmj in mexico
    couple of weddings
    fantasy football draft (always a debacle at a dive bar in NJ)

and best of all, college football starts in a few weeks which means gambling season is back

Also, I just experienced my first phish show. that is a weird fucking scene
  • Options
    Never really watch the little league World Series unless there is nothing else on but interested in this center city team. Unfortunately it is up against the golf