PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    edited January 2019
    Poncier said:
    Scroll across the tee vee?

Back in my day we'd listen to the AM radio.
    Yep, just saw the Snow Day episode of The Goldbergs in syndication the other night, opening montage of the 3 kids huddled around the radio listening to hear if their school got cancelled brought back a lot of memories. I remember the mornings when you heard them getting to your town alphabetically then they didn't say your town's name were just the worst. "Why do all these other towns have no school but we have to go?"
    Yup - Goldbergs is not bad at all for a network show (and of course my bias that it's based around Philly). I wouldn't be surprised if they had the old-timey typewriter sounds in the background like KYW does.

I remember thinking ,"c'mooon c'mon c'mon c'mon" - "301, 302, 303, 305 two hours late, 306-" YESSSSSSSSS....jump on the bed, throw on snow clothes, snag a sled and book to the golf course to sled the hills. Or just play Super Mario Bros or Streets of Rage all day (depending on the year).
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,221
    Poncier said:
    Scroll across the tee vee?

Back in my day we'd listen to the AM radio.
    Yep, just saw the Snow Day episode of The Goldbergs in syndication the other night, opening montage of the 3 kids huddled around the radio listening to hear if their school got cancelled brought back a lot of memories. I remember the mornings when you heard them getting to your town alphabetically then they didn't say your town's name were just the worst. "Why do all these other towns have no school but we have to go?"
    Yup - Goldbergs is not bad at all for a network show (and of course my bias that it's based around Philly). I wouldn't be surprised if they had the old-timey typewriter sounds in the background like KYW does.

I remember thinking ,"c'mooon c'mon c'mon c'mon" - "301, 302, 303, 305 two hours late, 306-" YESSSSSSSSS....jump on the bed, throw on snow clothes, snag a sled and book to the golf course to sled the hills. Or just play Super Mario Bros or Streets of Rage all day (depending on the year).
    Yessir....those moments of anticipation leading up to your number were intense as hell. Hahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    This nonsense is going into February, isn't it?

MLB has the worst off season. This is ridiculous. 
    looks like it :lol:
    getting old now The Padres are in the mix
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Bryce Harper!!!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    I gotta say, if I don't really give a shit where I play, there are worse jobs in the world than getting paid a couple hundred mil or so to play baseball in San Diego
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    That park is awesome.  The city is awesome.  Nearby beach cities (especially Del Mar & La Jolla but there are a bunch) are awesome.
    The people are super nice so long as you respect the military....very heavy on military there.
    I agree.  If I were Rich as Fuck I would have a place in La Jolla.  Never likely to be RaF but it is nice to imagine.

Maybe Bryce will move to a town nearby when he signs here.  :lol: 
    I ran into him and some teammates heading back to the hotel in Cincy during his rookie season.  They were fucking with him and he was laughing...looked like they were having fun.
    That park is awesome.  The city is awesome.  Nearby beach cities (especially Del Mar & La Jolla but there are a bunch) are awesome.
    The people are super nice so long as you respect the military....very heavy on military there.
    I agree.  If I were Rich as Fuck I would have a place in La Jolla.  Never likely to be RaF but it is nice to imagine.

I ran into him and some teammates heading back to the hotel in Cincy during his rookie season.  They were fucking with him and he was laughing...looked like they were having fun.
    I always enjoyed San Diego.  Never been to the park, but it looks super cool. Love the building in left field.

Military story from San Diego.  The wife was flying back after working something like an 80+ hour week in San Diego. Tired, miserable, hoping to get some sleep on the plane.  Gets to her seat and some military chick is sitting in her seat.  She was politely, like excuse me, I think you are in my seat.  "OH, you want to sit here?!!?".  Um, yeah, get the fuck out lol. You're leaving San Diego.  We aren't flying home from fucking Bagram.  The woman was a complete bitch. My wife tried to explain it's been a rough week, I'm not a great flyer, and all. Wouldn't even look at her.  I guess we wouldn't do to well there.  I'm team my wife on this one.  She said she would have likely given it up if she wasn't a complete bitch.

I'd have fun too if I was a professional baseball player 

I always enjoyed San Diego.  Never been to the park, but it looks super cool. Love the building in left field.

Military story from San Diego.  The wife was flying back after working something like an 80+ hour week in San Diego. Tired, miserable, hoping to get some sleep on the plane.  Gets to her seat and some military chick is sitting in her seat.  She was politely, like excuse me, I think you are in my seat.  "OH, you want to sit here?!!?".  Um, yeah, get the fuck out lol. You're leaving San Diego.  We aren't flying home from fucking Bagram.  The woman was a complete bitch. My wife tried to explain it's been a rough week, I'm not a great flyer, and all. Wouldn't even look at her.  I guess we wouldn't do to well there.  I'm team my wife on this one.  She said she would have likely given it up if she wasn't a complete bitch.

I'd have fun too if I was a professional baseball player 
    Getthafuckouttamyseat!
    Been to probably 20+ games there and to compare with the 10+ games attended at The Murph it was going from the outhouse to the penthouse.
    The gaslamp district is amazing by the new park.  The Murph was in the middle of a bunch of roads.
    It was such a nice park that we often would stand on the concourse and watch vs. going down to our seats.  Amazing place to take in a game.
    Been to probably 20+ games there and to compare with the 10+ games attended at The Murph it was going from the outhouse to the penthouse.
    The gaslamp district is amazing by the new park.  The Murph was in the middle of a bunch of roads.
    It was such a nice park that we often would stand on the concourse and watch vs. going down to our seats.  Amazing place to take in a game.
    It's on my list.  Last time I was out that way it was March.

I did go to the murph when i was kid.  San Diego zoo and a Braves/Padres game on a family trip.

I did go to the murph when i was kid.  San Diego zoo and a Braves/Padres game on a family trip.
    Zoo is fantastic.
    (Take her to the Zoo, Rock!)
    Need to have some good shoes on for that motherfucker.  Lots o walkin'!
    I’d love to see a game at Petco. I think my wife’s family is planning a trip out there this fall so might be able to make it happen this year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I’d love to see a game at Petco. I think my wife’s family is planning a trip out there this fall so might be able to make it happen this year. 
    You should. That way you can see machado and/or Harper play 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215

Zoo is fantastic.
    (Take her to the Zoo, Rock!)
    Need to have some good shoes on for that motherfucker.  Lots o walkin'!

We did the zoo when we were in SoCal on vacation in 2016, big damn hills in that place.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,447

F’me is a la jolla kind of guy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

F’me is a la jolla kind of guy.
    ;)
    Would love to try and play Torrey Pines while out there too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Would love to try and play Torrey Pines while out there too. 
    Yeah, I don't think it's that hard to play it.  Expensive for non-residents I think, but yeah.

I plan to play this this summer.  Crazy story behind it. Site of an early cold war nuke launch pad and a historic and violent jail.  Supposed to be a great public course.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/golf/laurel-hill
    A guy on my team went there in December the day after our company party in Orange County.  Loved it.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    Does Kapler survive?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited February 2019
    Unless they are looking for a reason to can him, yes he survives.  
    If they would like him gone this gives them their excuse.
    Kapler is a Fucking creep
    Agree . Orange and strange.
    edited February 2019
    So she says two women beat her up while the players watched and took video? She then emails Kapler instead of going to the police? And she doesn't mention anything about being sexually assaulted until a week later after she is arrested for shop lifting?

Kapler's Paterno-esque handling of the situation is pretty bad......but then again so is this whole story. Something doesn't add up...

If Kapler knew about the alleged sexual assault and didn't do anything, then he's probably gone. But it seems like that didn't come up till later.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    So she says two women beat her up while the players watched and took video? She then emails Kapler instead of going to the police? And she doesn't mention anything about being sexually assaulted until a week later after she is arrested for shop lifting?

Kapler's Paterno-esque handling of the situation is pretty bad......but then again so is this whole story. Something doesn't add up...

If Kapler knew about the alleged sexual assault and didn't do anything, then he's probably gone. But it seems like that didn't come up till later.
    I don’t really know anything about this aside from 4 sentences in the Washington post article i started to read.

That said, kapler is and always has been a complete fucking weirdo

i don’t know how he handled it but it seems like a bad look.

Phillies aren’t getting rid of him in the middle
    of this free agent push, not that any player signing a contract like that gives a shit about the manager. 

My prediction...he’s not going anywhere and it comes multiple times next season when fans give it to him.
    Tommy Pope!!!!!!! was that national 
    Nfl shop is fanatics right? Rubin is so fucking rich
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189

she was a 17 year old run away. not really shocking the change in story and such.  the only way Kapler loses his job with this is if it comes out he knew there was a reported sexual assault.  if that comes out he is done.

and yes kapler is a creepy dude. there would be almost no creepy story that could come out about him that i wouldn't believe.

no that football is over maybe these agents will actually let their clients sign now.  kind of hard to market your team when two weeks before camp opens up and you have no idea who your top stars will be. 
    Tommy Pope!!!!!!! was that national 
    Who is Tommy Pope?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,764
    That is Delco, Lansdowne, Mosignor Bonner's own Tom Papa.