Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,458
    Welcome back.
    It's tough sledding in the amt with some people. I hate that I ventured over there during the election, now all the threads are always at the top of my "participated discussions" so its always tempting to dive back in to argue with those dopes.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,659
    better to argue with hotakes and the fixer (and me)

speaking of which, did I ever comment on the turd your mancrush hamels laid in the playoffs? he's basically jonathan sanchez :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

Welcome back.
    It's tough sledding in the amt with some people. I hate that I ventured over there during the election, now all the threads are always at the top of my "participated discussions" so its always tempting to dive back in to argue with those dopes.

A few at the top of my list every day as well.
    Had an epic night @ Zama last night. Had drinks (many) at Del Friscos with a group and felt like Sushi when they all went home. Walked down...ended up going way over the top. Embarrassed at how much I spent on dinner and drinks for myself...and I am a person who somewhat regularly drops a few hundred on meals and drinks. Sushi can get out of control, quickly.
    Sitting in Del Frisco's at the bar is pretty sweet. Love that building.
    Should have stayed and eaten bacon instead of the sake/sushi fest. Would feel better today, as would my wallet.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

Welcome back.

Buncha dopes is right. No reason to go back there at this point, haha.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Welcome back.

A few at the top of my list every day as well.
    Had an epic night @ Zama last night. Had drinks (many) at Del Friscos with a group and felt like Sushi when they all went home. Walked down...ended up going way over the top. Embarrassed at how much I spent on dinner and drinks for myself...and I am a person who somewhat regularly drops a few hundred on meals and drinks. Sushi can get out of control, quickly.
    Sitting in Del Frisco's at the bar is pretty sweet. Love that building.
    Should have stayed and eaten bacon instead of the sake/sushi fest. Would feel better today, as would my wallet.
    You love Zama, man. It's good stuff though.

The wife and I are both off tomorrow. Trying to figure out what we want to do this evening as we speak...
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Zama loves me. (He even went downstairs and cut me a few pieces of Kama Toro. ($18 per piece))
    Tell your wife you want to start doing Theme Nights

This week it is From One Scene to Another

Go to Ocean Prime
    Martini
    App -- Deviled Eggs & bunch of raw Oysters
    Martini
    French Onion Soup
    Beer
    Bone-In Filet / Side o Corn
    Beer
    Order dessert for your wife
    (Baked Alaska)

Stagger out and proceed directly to your favorite dive bar. From one scene to another.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Zama loves me. (He even went downstairs and cut me a few pieces of Kama Toro. ($18 per piece))

Go to Ocean Prime
    Martini
    Martini
    French Onion Soup
    Beer
    Beer
    (Baked Alaska)

Stagger out and proceed directly to your favorite dive bar. From one scene to another.

Ha, not a bad idea and sounds good. Dude, not that LaBan's word is gospel, it's often way too stuck up for me, but I have avoided Ocean Prime like the plague since this...

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20131215_Ocean_Prime__Center_City_chain_is_tough_to_swallow.html
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,828
    Steakhouses are places where people can display the girth of their dick....I mean wallet. On a semi-related note, I cook a better steak.
  • Options

Go to Ocean Prime
    Martini
    Martini
    French Onion Soup
    Beer
    Beer
    (Baked Alaska)

Ha, not a bad idea and sounds good. Dude, not that LaBan's word is gospel, it's often way too stuck up for me, but I have avoided Ocean Prime like the plague since this...

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20131215_Ocean_Prime__Center_City_chain_is_tough_to_swallow.html
    I enjoyed it when I ate there. I laughed at the article, though, and can understand dodging it. You can do the same routine at Del Frisco's or Barclay Prime.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Steakhouses are places where people can display the girth of their dick....I mean wallet. On a semi-related note, I cook a better steak.

HA. I do enjoy a steakhouse from time to time, especially Barclay Prime, but if I am paying I rarely head the steakhouse route and go to a place where the cooking is different and better than what I can do at home. Rather spend that kind of money on places like Laurel, Serpico, Vernick, Zahav, etc. where it's not something I have the ability to mildly replicate. Rather have a tasting menu at any of those spots over a steakhouse any day of the week. Steakhouses are good for celebrations, sales reps, etc.

Get yourself a sous vide machine, got to Cappuccio's in the Italian Market and grab yourself a couple bone in dry aged rib eyes, season it, pop it in the sous vide for an hour or so at rare-medium rare, fire up the grill as hot as it can get, throw those fuckers on for a minute to char the outside and you have yourself a steak every bit as good, if not better than almost any steakhouse.

Speaking of the Italian Market. Friggen D'Angelos is closing. Real kick in the nuts

• Options

:lol:
    I cannot get a better steak then Grade A steakhouses (neither can you if we talk places like Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's in NY) and since I like my steak pretty much raw, people don't mess up the cooking. "As rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen" has not failed me in years.
    B-level places you may be able to get the same quality cut of meet and I can understand wanting to cook it just how you like it and saving some dough. I enjoy the act of going to a nice steakhouse and living large.

I also think I can make a martini exactly how I like it better than they will make me. (Normally....had a stirred martini last week in CA that blew my mind.) I still like to drink a few before my steak.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Go to Ocean Prime
    Martini
    Martini
    French Onion Soup
    Beer
    Beer
    (Baked Alaska)

I enjoyed it when I ate there. I laughed at the article, though, and can understand dodging it. You can do the same routine at Del Frisco's or Barclay Prime.
    I have heard good things about it, that just sits in the back of my mind. Barclay prime is the tits.
  • Options

HA. I do enjoy a steakhouse from time to time, especially Barclay Prime, but if I am paying I rarely head the steakhouse route and go to a place where the cooking is different and better than what I can do at home. Rather spend that kind of money on places like Laurel, Serpico, Vernick, Zahav, etc. where it's not something I have the ability to mildly replicate. Rather have a tasting menu at any of those spots over a steakhouse any day of the week. Steakhouses are good for celebrations, sales reps, etc.

Get yourself a sous vide machine, got to Cappuccio's in the Italian Market and grab yourself a couple bone in dry aged rib eyes, season it, pop it in the sous vide for an hour or so at rare-medium rare, fire up the grill as hot as it can get, throw those fuckers on for a minute to char the outside and you have yourself a steak every bit as good, if not better than almost any steakhouse.

Speaking of the Italian Market. Friggen D'Angelos is closing. Real kick in the nuts

I'm sure it's great, but there's a con-outweighs-the-pros to me on it. Like you said, I'll get a ribeye, crank the oven up to 500, then throw on the grill for 30 seconds. Done.

I've looked in the sous vide machine, and I dunno...I like the idea, but I can't get the idea of a leeching plastic bag into my meat becoming a problem out of my head.

Went to ITV the other night; good shit.

I saw about D'Angelo's, sucks - just when you were singing me their praises. Speaking of which, turkey I got from Esposito's, which was then fried, was more than worth it.

I cannot get a better steak then Grade A steakhouses (neither can you if we talk places like Peter Luger's or Wolfgang's in NY) and since I like my steak pretty much raw, people don't mess up the cooking. "As rare as the chef will let it out of the kitchen" has not failed me in years.
    B-level places you may be able to get the same quality cut of meet and I can understand wanting to cook it just how you like it and saving some dough. I enjoy the act of going to a nice steakhouse and living large.

I also think I can make a martini exactly how I like it better than they will make me. (Normally....had a stirred martini last week in CA that blew my mind.) I still like to drink a few before my steak.
    But do you like it when they call you Big Poppa?
  • Options
    Also thank god the Trump thread closed - it's finally waning to the bottom of my "participated" page.
  • Options

I'm sure it's great, but there's a con-outweighs-the-pros to me on it. Like you said, I'll get a ribeye, crank the oven up to 500, then throw on the grill for 30 seconds. Done.

I've looked in the sous vide machine, and I dunno...I like the idea, but I can't get the idea of a leeching plastic bag into my meat becoming a problem out of my head.

Went to ITV the other night; good shit.

I saw about D'Angelo's, sucks - just when you were singing me their praises. Speaking of which, turkey I got from Esposito's, which was then fried, was more than worth it.

But do you like it when they call you Big Poppa?
    Sous vide is awesome. Absolutely perfectly cooked all the way through. Not like you're eating plastic. I finally got a vaccum sealer and it's awesome. Pretty sure it's not the plastic that's gonna kill me.

We're actually thinking about ITV tonight.

Yessir. Good call. I ended up with a turducken from there, not for thanksgiving but for a tailgate on saturday and it was awesome too.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Of course I like it when they call me Big Poppa!
  • Options

Also thank god the Trump thread closed - it's finally waning to the bottom of my "participated" page.

Nice i just noticed.

Have you seen the final post in there....I think it was pjsoul? It's like Kat or Sea tied it up with a pretty little bow. Perfect way to close that god awful thread...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Nice i just noticed.

Have you seen the final post in there....I think it was pjsoul? It's like Kat or Sea tied it up with a pretty little bow. Perfect way to close that god awful thread...
    Don't think you can stop dumb commentary though - it comes now in the form of the "President Elect Tump" thread. People like blood sausage, too. People are morons. Groundhog Day will never get old.

Alls I know is no more AMT in my future. I don't need that shit taking up my "participated" page and ruining good talk like a guy's scrote getting ripped open, how steaks are better enjoyed at home, or talking about Philly joints to eat at.

Onto more pressing matters - do I do the South Philly Christmas Lights bike ride or run? AND, anybody been to Breckenridge CO....and/or are avid skiers? Haven't skied in probably 20 years and I look forward to dislocating both of my shoulders.
  • Options
    Agree completely.
    Yes to bike ride
    No to skiing. Grew up in VT and have been to ski resorts all over out west. I drink at the bar and wait for my friends. Have not been to Breckenridge, though. Not sure I know anyone who has been. Brother in law just went to Vail with his family and said it was fun. Pretty sure he was likely to come back with a sprained hog...but that is because his wife (My SIL-In-Law? What do you call your wife's brother's wife?) is so ridiculously hot.
  • Options
    Was gonna go up to VT instead. But we said, fuck it, onto CO we go. But, yeah, most of us are just sitting at the lodge and drinking. But I figured, fuck it, might as well go full douche with some goggles on my head. I think I'm more pumped for the dispensary/distillery/brewery directly behind the place we're staying.

Yeah, sister-in-law, even though all that shit's bullshit. But, yeah, your in-law's spouse is your in-law.....I guess, or something.

Sprained hog. That's some funny shit right there. Also, it would totally not be weird to share pictures of said SIL.
  • Options
    It would be weird to take them, though. She is 40-ish (maybe 37 or 38) and a smart lady to boot. Big old fake cans...Philippino/Mexican parentage so an interesting/different look. Pilates freak. I really like her -- it is just distracting that she is so hot. My wife knows that we all think that. Some of my buddies reference her every time they talk to Mrs FMe. Hey, how is Natalie? (They have met her once or twice.) :lol:
    In San Diego where they live, she is one of many. When she visits here, she stands out like a sore thumb.
    She is a financial advisor -- such a good job for smart/pretty combo. So many dumb men with lots of money who sign up right away with her.
  • Options

It would be weird to take them, though. She is 40-ish (maybe 37 or 38) and a smart lady to boot. Big old fake cans...Philippino/Mexican parentage so an interesting/different look. Pilates freak. I really like her -- it is just distracting that she is so hot. My wife knows that we all think that. Some of my buddies reference her every time they talk to Mrs FMe. Hey, how is Natalie? (They have met her once or twice.) :lol:
    In San Diego where they live, she is one of many. When she visits here, she stands out like a sore thumb.
    She is a financial advisor -- such a good job for smart/pretty combo. So many dumb men with lots of money who sign up right away with her.

How about a picture?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't see what is so funny.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That was already asked. I would need to take one next time I see her...would be awkward to ask my wife for pics of the hot SIL from the shore house this summer. Can try next time she is wasted. :lol:
  • Options
    I liked this article but I can't get past the fact that the first section is complete BS. There is a zero percent chance those kids don't know who Roy Halladay is...

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/12/14/roy-halladay-phillies-trade-anniversary/

• Options

I liked this article but I can't get past the fact that the first section is complete BS. There is a zero percent chance those kids don't know who Roy Halladay is...

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/12/14/roy-halladay-phillies-trade-anniversary/

That's pretty good. I dunno. 12 year-olds are dipshits, and they would've been 6 (possibly 5?) at the time. And 6 year olds are playing tee-ball and stuffing their fingers up their noses.
  • Options

That's pretty good. I dunno. 12 year-olds are dipshits, and they would've been 6 (possibly 5?) at the time. And 6 year olds are playing tee-ball and stuffing their fingers up their noses.
    Nah, man. . You're telling me their parents didn't tell them their coach was Roy Halladay, one of the best pitchers of the past 15 years? Regardless of how young they were when he played, 12 year olds know who their coach is...
  • Options

Nah, man. . You're telling me their parents didn't tell them their coach was Roy Halladay, one of the best pitchers of the past 15 years? Regardless of how young they were when he played, 12 year olds know who their coach is...
    Isn't this Florida we're talking about? I'm sure they're all Scientologists and/or Trump voters - bigger dipshits than 12 years olds.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,282

agree. i'm sure the parents told the kids who the heck he was. man those were some fun years we had.