Options

we are not just paid customers..

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    goldrush said:

goldrush said:

I really can't understand all of the people that say they won't post here again or won't renew their membership after only a few days of the new forums. There were months of bitching about the old one when we were stuck in BETA for so long, now everyone seems to love it.

Doesn't anyone have the patience to wait and see if there are any more changes coming? Do you really believe that 10C is doing this a big FU to see how many people they can get rid of?

I'm not trying to cause conflict or dispute D's posts, just trying to inject some positivity. Sure the colour and the font are an issue but it really isn't that hard to navigate. Some of the new features are an improvement on the old forum so I'm still hoping that this is a work in progress.

As much as it feels weird to quote myself I feel that, in the interest of healthy debate, I have to say it again - why are people so quick to say they're leaving? It's only been a week, don't people have the patience to wait and see what happens next? Things are changing on almost a daily basis so it's obvious that this isn't the final version.

I'm not going to talk about the issues people have mentioned with PMs, friend lists, walls etc for a minute because I don't really use them that often. I just want to talk about the forums... They're pretty much the same!! Apart from the change in colour the functionality is the same as the old forum, maybe even better.

You can still navigate through the threads and pages in the same way, read and reply to posts in the same way and there are even some improvements - like jumping straight to the last post you read in a thread, having all of the forum links at the side so you don't have to go back to the main menu page, and how it's so much easier to use on my phone etc.

Like I said earlier, I'm just trying to add a little positivity here. Yes, my first few posts after the change were whinging and negative, but it's been a week and I've got used to the new look.

Maybe I'm being blind and am missing something really obvious but if there is anything about the functionality of reading and posting in threads that is more difficult now then I've completely missed it
    buddy,sure.,.,you can still log in as well..ok,not all members,but still..
    this is nothing to do with negativity..
    except all the mention problems,lost pm ,gossip etc...MY EYES HURT AFTER 2 MIN....
    CANT READ...i need to close the window and leave ,cos my eyes hurt....if ipressure my eyes for more time so i can stay and read then my eyes start the tears..i have to leave for protect them..
    i come here 80% less time that i use to be,cos my eyes hurt..instead of read all forums as i used to do,i read the 1 st page of 2 only,and not in the row cows it hurts the eyes..
    why this has to happen to me and others and for what reason??
    its a turture and with this call they made unhappy so many people
    and dont start telling me to fix that,do that,put zoom,try the pixel,download that program,put that fond,put that app,if u have that browzer do this,do that,if u have that smart phone do this,if that smart phone do that..or pray or ,call jack norris
    no reason to put so many members love this place in this situation...
    and if you search or be around here alot ,you already know,,my name is on the list against negativity and bitching..
    nothing to do with the nagativity..

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Guys, it's a message board, get over it.

if you dont mind,some members would like to talk about a problem in this message board,atleast while we can sttll be able to read
    thank you.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I wrote 10c 2 days ago and got nothing but an automated response that they'd reply later.

Dimitris, did you write them the OP? And have you heard anything?
  • Options

I wrote 10c 2 days ago and got nothing but an automated response that they'd reply later.

no,i didnt,and i dont see the point,cos Kat was clear this is the forum now and i dont want to be upset while waititng for an answer and more upset reading the answer will say,
    "we working with our tech team to make the new forum better for all
    we are sorry for the inconvenience
    -10c
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    People are making too big of a deal about it. It was confusing at first, but I've gotten used to it. The white background thing is a non-issue. There are tons of sites out there with white backgrounds...plus I think they've softened it up a bit already.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    Sometimes changes are not easy, but necessary, maybe this system is better for the 10c , easy to mod and easier on their servers, I personally don't have any strong feelings about this new design of the forum, there may be so many other factors to consider than just personal preferences.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668

Obviously folks know from your posts that isn't your general MO, but I think MANY topics/posters get bashed over the head because people are quick to dismiss others and over categorize posts as "negativity". I used the example somewhere else, but the change to the lottery, which was disliked by some (again, a personal preference thing), was generally seen as complaining and negativity when folks expressed their opinion. Anyway, I don't what the point is, perhaps that these boards are here precisely for expressing our opinions on things PJ related and everyone should be free to do so without getting it dismissed as negativity. Debating merits...cool, dismissing as negative...pointless.

That said, I recognize there are chronic a-holes on these boards that post only negative stuff, but that's not the point here.
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

Obviously folks know from your posts that isn't your general MO, but I think MANY topics/posters get bashed over the head because people are quick to dismiss others and over categorize posts as "negativity". I used the example somewhere else, but the change to the lottery, which was disliked by some (again, a personal preference thing), was generally seen as complaining and negativity when folks expressed their opinion. Anyway, I don't what the point is, perhaps that these boards are here precisely for expressing our opinions on things PJ related and everyone should be free to do so without getting it dismissed as negativity. Debating merits...cool, dismissing as negative...pointless.

That said, I recognize there are chronic a-holes on these boards that post only negative stuff, but that's not the point here.
    i hear ya...but man..MY EYES HURT!!!what preference?..i cant read more than 2 minutes..
    as for change as lottery,the broken system make the need of the change the ticket sales..
    the old forum didnt have problems..
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761

i hear ya...but man..MY EYES HURT!!!what preference?..i cant read more than 2 minutes..
    as for change as lottery,the broken system make the need of the change the ticket sales..

Then you have a problem with your eyes. The white (and it's not even true white) background is NOT hurting your eyes.

The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 said:

Then you have a problem with your eyes. The white (and it's not even true white) background is NOT hurting your eyes.

thanks Doctor
  • Options
    kg162716kg162716 Posts: 567
    We all read Kats ( :x ) comments that is the forum now and its obviously not going to change...regardless of how many polls or threads...they aren't going to blink first..

Okay we get that, but how in the love of fuck does the search still not work?
    Why is the screen still bright?

whats it been a week now?
    Maybe they are working their tails off getting the christmas singles out or preparing the newsletters or pumping out the bootlegs every single wednesday!!!

:-?
    Toronto '03, Boston '04, Halifax '05, Boston 1&2 '06, Mansfield 1&2 '08, Boston '10, Toronto 1&2 '11, Brooklyn 1&2 13, Sao Paulo '15, Brasilia '15, Belo Horizonte '15, Rio '15, Quebec '16, Fenway '1&2 16', Seattle 1 & 2 18', Quebec ‘22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Things I will miss because I no longer want to post on any of these forums:
    1)Interacting with friends here. I've gotten to know some really wonderful, excellent, awesome folks here.
    2) Interesting information and opinions about Pearl Jam
    3) Interesting debates on current events.
    4) Opportunities to give and receive encouragement, support and opportunity to donate to causes I might not have given to because I might not have known about them otherwise.
    5) interesting information about other music
    6) Useful tips about guitars, gear and tabs
    7) "Two birds above my car." (A phrase that sometimes comes to me related to either happiness or, in this case, loss and sadness.)

My eyes are burning. Off I go.

Brian, doesn't that seem like a lot to give up just because of the design and layout of a website?
    Can you read? His eyes are burning.
    Mind your manners.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I honestly wouldnt expect a fan club website for a band to announce they plan on changing the website.

I would expect any board I frequent to announce big changes to the community before they take place. It is simply common courtesy. It doesn't matter if it is a paid board or a free board, it is the members that makes a particular board a success or a failure. I do and have frequented many boards, and this is the ONLY place I go where the users/members are thought so little of that no communication was made, and that lack of communication continues even after they know that people want to hear from them.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited January 2014

no,i didnt,and i dont see the point,cos Kat was clear this is the forum now and i dont want to be upset while waititng for an answer and more upset reading the answer will say,
    "we working with our tech team to make the new forum better for all
    we are sorry for the inconvenience
    -10c
    I emailed 10C about not having locations showing and then locations showed up about 2 hours later.... Could have been a coincidence of course, but then again, maybe not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I used to go to the old forum a few times a day, since the change maybe twice a week..
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    Yeah, it is for sure, PJ_Soul, but I see it as a lot to lose more than give up- especially interacting with good people I like and respect here such as yourself. The changes were never asked for and they are certainly mostly for the worse not the better. The worst part is the "staring into the sun" effect of this site. The site is not as inviting as the old one and I don't understand why it was changed, especially for (as most people seem to agree) the worse. That plus I don't have time right now to spend figuring out how to negotiate this thing. It's just not user friendly and I don't like paying for something I don't enjoy using. And those grade school emoticons- yikes! Facepalm!
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Things I will miss because I no longer want to post on any of these forums:
    1)Interacting with friends here. I've gotten to know some really wonderful, excellent, awesome folks here.
    2) Interesting information and opinions about Pearl Jam
    3) Interesting debates on current events.
    4) Opportunities to give and receive encouragement, support and opportunity to donate to causes I might not have given to because I might not have known about them otherwise.
    5) interesting information about other music
    6) Useful tips about guitars, gear and tabs
    7) "Two birds above my car." (A phrase that sometimes comes to me related to either happiness or, in this case, loss and sadness.)

My eyes are burning. Off I go.

Brian, doesn't that seem like a lot to give up just because of the design and layout of a website?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,737
    A little adjustment is all that is needed, it really isn't that bad once acclimatised.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Here is the link to the old emoticons Brian. You're right, most of the new ones stink. :)http://imgur.com/a/wHchf

As for the blinding whiteness, I agree, it's terrible, but I just can't believe that it won't be changed given all the feedback about it. I'm patiently waiting for it!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    edited January 2014

Pearl Jam in the studio recording their White Album. The news is in today's newsletter. We are doomed to this by-design whiteness.

EDIT: The faux-HTML sarcasm tags I included in my post don't show up. So, no, this isn't serious.

Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Pearl Jam in the studio recording their White Album. The news is in today's newsletter. We are doomed to this by-design whiteness.

lol
  • Options
    ok,seriously..what we waititng to change??so be better??
    i dont see the lost data to come back..so bye bye pms,bye bye friend list,bye bye outbox-sent message..
    the activity gossip shit???no way..this new forum build on the notification thing,so activity is connected with that..
    block someone to write on your wall??not see happens,maybe can add delete option..
    maybe the 10c can help those lost their username??i dont see it happen,they start all over again..maybe they can help the ones wait for solution and didnt change their usernames already..
    maybe they can help the ones cant log in..seerms this is possible
    and what left??to make the forum easy to read with that staring in the sun white thing..
    maybe they can add something fancy ,like open new thread and smell like flower in your room..
    thats all folks..
  • Options

i dont see the lost data to come back..so bye bye pms,bye bye friend list,bye bye outbox-sent message..
    the activity gossip shit???no way..this new forum build on the notification thing,so activity is connected with that..
    block someone to write on your wall??not see happens,maybe can add delete option..
    maybe the 10c can help those lost their username??i dont see it happen,they start all over again..maybe they can help the ones wait for solution and didnt change their usernames already..
    and what left??to make the forum easy to read with that staring in the sun white thing..
    maybe they can add something fancy ,like open new thread and smell like flower in your room..
    thats all folks..

I don't know what they will or won't bring in or fix. They very well may let us delete things posted to our walls, or shut that whole feature down, or not. Who knows? .... No, I don't think you will get your friends list or PMs back.... So now what? I totally understand why you're pissed off Dimitris, but what exactly are you looking for at this point? They have obviously seen your complaints. I think they are still working on the site and we will continue to see some improvements. Will it go back to what it was? No. That's been made clear. Will the loss and inconvenience that some have dealt with be reversed? No. So.... it's either wait and be patient and see what it becomes, and get over what was lost, or never come to the forum again. It's your and everyone's choice. I personally think abandoning the boards is an overreaction, especially when they are clearly slowly making improvements, even if people are mad about the PMs and shit. You know I'm not happy about any of this either, but I frankly don't have the negative emotional energy to stay pissed off about it indefinitely.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

thats all folks..

I don't know what they will or won't bring in or fix. They very well may let us delete things posted to our walls, or shut that whole feature down, or not. Who knows? .... No, I don't think you will get your friends list or PMs back.... So now what? I totally understand why you're pissed off Dimitris, but what exactly are you looking for at this point? They have obviously seen your complaints. I think they are still working on the site and we will continue to see some improvements. Will it go back to what it was? No. That's been made clear. Will the loss and inconvenience that some have dealt with be reversed? No. So.... it's either wait and be patient and see what it becomes, and get over what was lost, or never come to the forum again. It's your and everyone's choice. I personally think abandoning the boards is an overreaction, especially when they are clearly slowly making improvements, even if people are mad about the PMs and shit. You know I'm not happy about any of this either, but I frankly don't have the negative emotional energy to stay pissed off about it indefinitely.
    yep..all the good things we lost,gone,i suck it already..
    atleast i hope they can fix the white thing so all can read easy and no need to be at IT guy to fix things,or need to google to find solution for this hard to read thing..
    what pisses my off the last days is that i see from comments they made this work for specific way to be here,mobiles or browzers,and the rest ,pray for the best...
    not to mention..adroid app version coming soon,its a promise...
    they could fix that first you know.before they make once again,something works better only and for iphones
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

thats all folks..

atleast i hope they can fix the white thing so all can read easy and no need to be at IT guy to fix things,or need to google to find solution for this hard to read thing..
    what pisses my off the last days is that i see from comments they made this work for specific way to be here,mobiles or browzers,and the rest ,pray for the best...
    they could fix that first you know.before they make once again,something works better only and for iphones
    If they don't change the background at some point I'll be disappointed.
    I find that the forum works really well on my Android now as far as posting goes. It was HORRIBLE before. There are a lot of features and info missing from the Android view, but since posting was so insanely frustrating before, I prefer it now anyway. I do hope they get back some of the info missing on that view though, like who posted a thread or who the last replier was.
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    I'm really surprised that 10C sees this as some improvement when I don't see anything improved but instead I lose the left most part of the forum and the fonts are really small. This is like a weaker version of what we used to have. Sorry to complain 10C but not seeing any improvements over the last forum.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

thats all folks..

I find that the forum works really well on my Android now as far as posting goes. It was HORRIBLE before. There are a lot of features and info missing from the Android view, but since posting was so insanely frustrating before, I prefer it now anyway. I do hope they get back some of the info missing on that view though, like who posted a thread or who the last replier was.

now u said that,i find with my adroid the opposite happens at twitter..twitter is away better at mobile..at pc isnt worth it..u miss so many things..
    here in the forum,at mobile u need to have NOT the full size of the forum,so works better
    but you lose so many things with Not the full size..
    but if u put the full size,then all are so tiny..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    RD101189 said:

I'm really surprised that 10C sees this as some improvement when I don't see anything improved but instead I lose the left most part of the forum and the fonts are really small. This is like a weaker version of what we used to have. Sorry to complain 10C but not seeing any improvements over the last forum.

Am I the only one for whom the font size is fixed for the PC?? It's totally normal for me now, and I didn't do anything to fix it.

I am definitely confused by the decision to change the forum when there was nothing wrong with it before and this new one is worse. Very strange decision-making going on down at the warehouse for sure. But fuck, nothing I can do about it except suggest things that would improve it and try to settle in. I'm not going to ditch the forum - it's just not THAT bad.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 951
    jeffbr said:

I honestly wouldnt expect a fan club website for a band to announce they plan on changing the website.

I would expect any board I frequent to announce big changes to the community before they take place. It is simply common courtesy. It doesn't matter if it is a paid board or a free board, it is the members that makes a particular board a success or a failure. I do and have frequented many boards, and this is the ONLY place I go where the users/members are thought so little of that no communication was made, and that lack of communication continues even after they know that people want to hear from them.
    Thats fair enough, like i said i dont visit other forums so i guess thats why i dont expect any communication.

I just think I never get communication when facebook, twitter or ebay change the format and that doesnt bother me in the slightest, so why would I for a bands message board.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

thats all folks..

now u said that,i find with my adroid the opposite happens at twitter..twitter is away better at mobile..at pc isnt worth it..u miss so many things..
    here in the forum,at mobile u need to have NOT the full size of the forum,so works better
    but you lose so many things with Not the full size..
    but if u put the full size,then all are so tiny..
    True. The full site on the phone is too small to use. The mobile version is over-simplified. But now I can post something in a normal amount of time. It used to take me a couple of minutes just to post one sentence replies!
  • Options
    I mostly use the forum on my laptop and have found the following to help with reading the forum (I'm on a Mac using Safari, but it might be doable on other browsers)
    Go to View>Customize Toolbar
    Drag the zoom icons to your toolbar.
    Next time you get to the forum, just press the larger A and the type will get to a readable size.

Not much about the background, but my eyes don't hurt as much.

I hope this helps.